The Rotunda at Neiman Marcus - San Francisco
150 Stockton Street
San Francisco, CA 94108Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Rotunda at Neiman Marcus - San Francisco
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/info/restaurant.jhtml?rest=200010
- Phone: 4152492720x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday 11:00am - 4:00pm
Monday - Thursday 11:00am - 4:00pm
Friday - Saturday 11:00am - 5:00pm
Afternoon Tea 2:30pm - 4:00pm Sunday - Thursday
Afternoon Tea 2:30pm - 5:00pm Friday - Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Grant Schley
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, High Tea, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Rotunda specializes in evening events including wedding receptions, corporate and convention dinners, cocktail parties, rehearsal dinners and holiday parties. Holiday parties are especially beautiful with the four story Neiman Marcus Holiday Tree rising up through the restaurant. The floor to ceiling windows offer guests an intimate bird's eye view of Union Square.
- Cross Street: Geary Street
- Public Transit:
- Powell Street BART station.
- #30 Stockton Bus (Stockton/Geary stop going south, Kearney/Geary stop going north).
- #38 Geary Bus (Stockton/O'Farrell stop going east, Geary/Stockton stop going west).
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Choose from 3 conveniently located garages.
- Union Square Garage
- Ellis-O'Farrell Garage
- Sutter-Stockton Garage
A word from The Rotunda at Neiman Marcus - San Francisco
We invite you to take part in a time honored San Francisco tradition and lunch at the Rotunda at Neiman Marcus. This spectacular restaurant sits underneath a stunning glass dome constructed of more than 2500 pieces of colored glass. The room curves around a central atrium four stories above the entrance. Be sure to request a cozy private booth or a window seat overlooking historic Union Square. Indulge in a glass of bubbles while noshing on our signature Lobster Club or savor delicate sweets and tea sandwiches with our Afternoon Tea.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
The Rotunda at Neiman Marcus - San Francisco - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Union Square ›
The Rotunda at Neiman Marcus - San Francisco reviews from OpenTable diners
250 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (191)special occasion (138)scenic view (138)great for brunch (96)fit for foodies (84)romantic (53)neighborhood gem (44)good for groups (42)hot spot (35)kid-friendly (25)notable wine list (24)vibrant bar scene (6)great for outdoor dining (4)late-night find (2)Show More
- Birthday Lunch TraditionMiltonDined on 10/18/2014We come up on my wife's birthday, we love the pop-overs, she has the lobster club, I have the crab and shrimp salad. The staff treat her like a queen. We translate the inscription on the dome and after lunch, go to the 4th floor and look at the Christmas decorations. We then walk around each floor on our way down while my wife admires the fashions. Union Square is crowed with the Nike Women's marathoners, we stroll over Gumps and check out their Christmas Ornaments and then over to China Town - it is a perfect day and we've had the perfect lunch.Special Features:
- Tired and over ratedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014The food is over priced and the decor just tired. Popovers are great but can't carry the experience
- Waiting for table is very longAmandaDined on 10/12/2014Hostess are not that great! They need to hire new staff.Special Features:
- Classic woman's lunch spotDee1202Dined on 10/12/2014Wonderful special occasion spot. Rated at 4 stars only because service was spotty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grumpiest server at Sunday lunch :[groovedinerSFDined on 10/12/2014Normally I give The Rotunda dining experience 4 or 5 stars. This time, however, we had the worst service imaginable. Our waitress (Meghan Hanley) began her service without a smile, but a look of utter contempt. She rolled her eyes when I waved her over to take our order. When we asked about a Sunday brunch menu, she looked annoyed and curtly proclaimed "we've never offered Sunday brunch. ever." and walked away. Her whole demeanor screamed "I do not want to be here, I do not enjoy serving you, I hate my job." It truly ruined what would have been an otherwise pleasant and delicious meal of lobster bisque and lobster sandwich. Thanks to Dahn who saved the service experience at the end of the meal and apologized on behalf of the restaurant...
- Always a TreatfussyfoodinistaDined on 10/11/2014One doesn't dine at the Rotunda for the food. It is mediocre at best. But the staff are very personable, the setting spectacular, and their signature popovers are dependably delicious. I especially like that they publish the caloric and sodium content of their menu options. And that exquisite models periodically parade past to tempt you with what's on offer elsewhere in the store.Special Features:
- The DesignerdesignerDined on 10/7/2014I took my out-of-town guest here with much enthusiasm as my husband and I had just celebrated our 44th anniversary here a month ago and enjoyed every minute. This time the service was slow and sloppy for no apparent reason except poor training of the server. So disappointing when the food and historic ceiling are remarkable. Hope for more another time.Special Features:
- CincyDDined on 10/3/2014The Rotunda is an excellent restaurant, with impeccable service and outstanding. I highly recommend it if you're looking for a special place to enjoy lunch, tea or brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday lunchJillDined on 10/1/2014This was the perfect spot for old friends to celebrate a birthday. Everything we ordered was delicious & the ambiance was lovely. Even though the street below was noisy due to heavy-duty construction the restaurant was quiet & gracious.Special Features:
- Oh, the popovers!BusinessgirlDined on 9/30/2014My first time and will definitely return. Beautiful architecture and fabulous service. Happy to have healthy choices that were also delicious.Special Features:
- Shopper's Delight415DinerDined on 9/28/2014The Rotunda is such a nice spot to meet with a friend or have lunch after a fun day of shopping. The atmosphere is relaxed and unique. The food is always good, great portion size and quality. Their Lobster Bisque and Lobster Croissant sandwich are so good!! (and I don't normally eat Lobster). Make sure you allow PLENTY of time to dine, unfortunately they can get pretty booked up and the Waiter's get busy so between ordering, eating and paying the check it can easily be a 2 hour visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Respite while shopping in SFOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/28/2014What a glorious setting accompanied by an amazing menu and yummy choices. Lobster club was awesome and chef's extra treat was a delicious extra. Use your OPen Table app to make reservations even for a small group Long wait when we left at 1:45ish for walk-ins!! PS I hear tea during Holiday Time is a must!!Special Features:
- happyVIPDined on 9/27/2014Rotunda Remodel looks wonderful and the Fall Menu offers many excellent choices. Never can say enough about the wonderful service from your wonderful staff members - each and every one.Special Features:
- San Fran FavoriteSkipWithMyLuDined on 9/27/2014If you are traveling to Union Square this is a must see- Beautiful view (be sure to request a table by the window). Everytime we go to the city we stop by for tea or brunch at least once. The pop-overs are divine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GirlLovesthecityOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/25/2014Perfect location for a special occasion or just a break from the streets of San Francisco. Lively with wonderful food options and a full bar for a nice glass of wine or cocktail. From Hostess desk to wait staff, they made it a very delightful experience and know how to treat a customer! Will return whenever I'm in the area and can get a table. Reservations recommended.Special Features:
- used to be greatdenhaaghlDined on 9/23/2014the portions were mini and the quality was gone. yes this is an architectural gem, but the food was 'run-of-the-mill' food court! after years of lunching here we're going to look for a new address!
- Expensive, but worth it.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014The view of Union Square is absolutely impeccable. The Afternoon Tea is worth every penny. The tea, particularly the nuit a versailles, was aromatic and full of complex and fulfilling flavors perfectly paired with the array of hors d'oeuvres and desserts. The service was top-top - notch and professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great LunchKoaaDined on 9/20/2014Had a wonderful experience. Will definitely return when we return to SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great San Francisco traditionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014This place is great overall for lunch in Union Square. Food is great. There are healthy alternatives. Good wine list. Great atmosphere. You can park conveniently in the Union Square Garage.Special Features:
- florenceDined on 9/18/2014We had a Fabulous crab and shrimp Louie. I loved the pop overs-- with the strawberry butter. It was a delicious lunch. The view of all the work being done in Union Square was spectacular. Our server, Meaghan, was wonderful. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- DatiDined on 9/18/2014Nice ambience, nice service, good food, I had a pleasant time sharing a lunch with a good friendSpecial Features:
- The Rotunda!alex2the2Dined on 9/17/2014First time here and will definitely return again. Read a few reviews before making a reservation and was not disappointed - the Rotunda had a really nice lunch time atmosphere, the staff genuinely friendly (many well-wishers on our wedding) and the food! If you're a fan of ahi, you must try the ahi watermelon salad - it was perfect, so delicious! Try to request a table with a view of Union Square, on a nice weather day it adds to the dining experience along with the fabulous stained glass ceiling. Totally recommend as a great place for lunch and it was romantic, too.Special Features:
- Fabulous viewAvidtennisplayerDined on 9/15/2014The Rotunda Restaurant is a lovely restaurant right in the heart of Union Square. Request a table by the window and you will get a great view. The stained dome ceiling is beautiful. The menu offers a good variety. Service is outstanding!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Got water?iH8SFDined on 9/14/2014We were asked if we wanted another roll. We said yes, NEVER got it. Im still waiting for my water refill that also NEVER came.Special Features:
- Lovely place to have lunchMizKatzVIPDined on 9/12/2014It is always a treat to have lunch at the Rotunda. It is one of two places in SF that I know of where I can enjoy my favorite popovers in place of bread! The menu is well thought-out, the food is delicious and beautifully presented. And the dessert menu is tempting, but I cannot resist the divine cookies (with recipe!) for dessert! Ever.Special Features:
- GreatJeannieDined on 9/11/2014My first time..food was great..fashion show was a plus.Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationThomasDined on 9/11/2014This was another occasion to celebrate a good friend's birthday with ambiance, service, and food that is always a delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ladies do fine fine lunchMbk333VIPDined on 9/9/2014The three of us had such a lovely afternoon dining. Service was impeccable. They even changed our napkins from white to black as we had dark pants on, so to avoid lint! Special cocktail with grey goose vodka, melon and juice was refreshing (and at $15 a little pricey). Warm seafood salads and a crab louie salad excellant. But the ultimate delight was the popovers, served hot with a fruit butter. Divine!Special Features:
- Horrible fooddinkohVIPDined on 9/7/2014Napkin was dirty. Salad ingredients were not fresh, and very stale. If you're paying $20+ for a salad, it better be good. This place has past its prime. Also, its food safety score is 85 == "Needs improvement." Stay away.
- Slower than molasses, with attitudefoodieVIPDined on 9/7/2014I've always looked forward to going to the Rotunda! It's a special occasion even when there's nothing to celebrate. However, on Sunday I have to say that the service was so bad as to burst my bubble. We sat there for quite some time before anyone even acknowledged us, much less brought us any water, despite the fact that the table right next to us was being service like the queen. Out waiter wouldn't even make eye contact and he dismissed us out of hand when we were able to catch his eye. Apparently, he had more important things to do (like box up their leftovers!) The painfully slow service continued throughout the meal and the restaurant was barely half full. Fortunately, I was with an entertaining friend who wasn't stressed.Special Features:
- Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/7/2014My sister lives in SF. When I come for a visit, which is 3 or 4 times a year, we always have a girls lunch at The Rotunda. I have never had such poor service at this restaurant. Normally, the service is exceptional. We had to ask for EVERYTHING. We practically bussed our own tables, as our dirty plates sat forever so we neatly stacked them in hopes that someone would walk by and see that we wanted them to be taken off our table. Shame on us, we gave the gentlemen a 20%+ tip anyway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average everythingNameVIPDined on 9/7/2014Not sure why people are "wowed" by this place unless it's about the wonderful glass dome. Otherwise, strictly for the tourist trade. Arrived when it opened; the table cloth was stained. Really? Moved to another table. The popover was large and dense, but why serve it with rock-hard strawberry butter? The lobster sandwich: LOTS of bread, avocado, tomato, lettuce, and oh! there was lobster in there?? The 5 chips were soft and flavorless. The hamburger came on a large bun with a giant tomato slice, and lots of onions. There was some meat there, but this medium prepared burger was dry. French fries were good, but were not were hot. Service by Nick was serviceable. Interiors need an update. And this is Neiman-Marcus? Hmmm..
- Great lunchPattyVIPDined on 9/6/2014I have eaten here many times and always enjoy my experience. The food, service and ambiance is great. I love all the special touches.Special Features:
- Delightful!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/5/2014We requested a table by the window and it was delightful! The popovers with the strawberry butter were sumptuous and the lobster club was outstanding, as usual--a favorite! Service is always excellent.Special Features:
- lunchlvtoeatVIPDined on 9/5/2014I went for lunch with a girlfriend, so much fun!!! Drank champagne and pop overs, both delish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hard-to-please NY friends LOVED it!ToddVIPDined on 9/2/2014I had to impress my family's friends from NYC, who have a very high bar. They loved the old world charm and incredible scenic view of Union Square. They raved about the food (esp the popovers). And commented our waiter, Charlie, was as outstanding as any at the best restaurants in New York. Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambiance wonderful.KarenDined on 8/31/2014Very disappointed withe the afternoon tea dessert selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 1999VIPDined on 8/30/2014Nice and Classy - Good polite and experienced staff makes it memorable...Special Features:
- The Rotunda at Neiman MarcusFoodaliciousVIPDined on 8/27/2014Great views of Union Square and nice menu. Food is good. Hostess at front desk needs a bit of an attitude adjustment. She was not friendly at all.Special Features:
- Lobster?FarmermeiDined on 8/24/2014We had the special lobster fettucini and the lobster was chopped so fine, we couldn't find it or taste it. There should have been moderately large lumps of lobster, not minced! There was an overwhelming taste of tarragon or some herb...too strong. We also had the ahi tuna salad. Had to ask for soy sauce to dip tuna in as it was tasteless...not seasoned correctly. Could have had larger pieces of avocado...too small and too few, but the mixed greens was fresh and very good.