The Rotunda at Neiman Marcus - San Francisco
150 Stockton Street
San Francisco, CA 94108Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Rotunda at Neiman Marcus - San Francisco
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/info/restaurant.jhtml?rest=200010
- Phone: (415) 249-2720
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday 11:00am - 4:00pm
Monday - Thursday 11:00am - 4:00pm
Friday - Saturday 11:00am - 5:00pm
Afternoon Tea 2:30pm - 4:00pm Sunday - Thursday
Afternoon Tea 2:30pm - 5:00pm Friday - Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Grant Schley
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, High Tea, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Rotunda specializes in evening events including wedding receptions, corporate and convention dinners, cocktail parties, rehearsal dinners and holiday parties. Holiday parties are especially beautiful with the four story Neiman Marcus Holiday Tree rising up through the restaurant. The floor to ceiling windows offer guests an intimate bird's eye view of Union Square.
- Cross Street: Geary Street
- Public Transit:
- Powell Street BART station.
- #30 Stockton Bus (Stockton/Geary stop going south, Kearney/Geary stop going north).
- #38 Geary Bus (Stockton/O'Farrell stop going east, Geary/Stockton stop going west).
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Choose from 3 conveniently located garages.
- Union Square Garage
- Ellis-O'Farrell Garage
- Sutter-Stockton Garage
A word from The Rotunda at Neiman Marcus - San Francisco
We invite you to take part in a time honored San Francisco tradition and lunch at the Rotunda at Neiman Marcus. This spectacular restaurant sits underneath a stunning glass dome constructed of more than 2500 pieces of colored glass. The room curves around a central atrium four stories above the entrance. Be sure to request a cozy private booth or a window seat overlooking historic Union Square. Indulge in a glass of bubbles while noshing on our signature Lobster Club or savor delicate sweets and tea sandwiches with our Afternoon Tea.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Rotunda at Neiman Marcus - San Francisco - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Union Square ›
The Rotunda at Neiman Marcus - San Francisco reviews from OpenTable diners
266 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (199)scenic view (142)special occasion (135)great for brunch (88)fit for foodies (88)romantic (56)neighborhood gem (38)good for groups (36)hot spot (34)notable wine list (22)kid-friendly (17)vibrant bar scene (8)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Love the Rotunda!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/24/2014This is the perfect place to lunch and spend an afternoon gabbing with the girls. Food was delicious, our server was great, and the ambience can't be beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a good restaurant for shopping .anonymousVIPDined on 11/23/2014the crab louis was delicious so was the burrata and beet salad.. the seating by the window is always great on a bright day.. can't wait to go back..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view and serviceEWW55Dined on 11/23/2014The Rotunda is a place you go for the grand view of Union Square and obviously the Rotunda. Service - Excellent, attentive and detailed. Drinks - Excellent, Pumpkin Mojito Food - Very Good, the salmon and black cod were well made. The popovers were excellent served with a strawberry creme. The lobster bisque and the deviled eggs were good. Overall - RecommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the AmbianceAnnArborDined on 11/22/2014Booked a reservation requesting a window seat for afternoon tea for a birthday. Ambiance: First of all the ambiance and view is spectacular. Simply romantic especially at a window seat. Service: the service was excellent and attentive never waited long for anything. They we're accommodating for my window seat request, nut allergy, and even brought a surprise out for the birthday! Never felt rushed, Jonathan the waiter was excellent and really made sure that everyone was happy. Food: Some of the breading was dry for the sandwiches but the deserts and everything else was great. Tea: Not loose - we had tea packets so kinda disappointing for the "Tea experience" Overall: Such a wonderful experience especially being in union square I highly recommend this for tourists and those not local to SF since parking and getting around might be difficult for them. Neiman Marcus lives up to its reputation to make sure that you are take care. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ladies who lunch and moreMargaretDined on 11/22/2014Great spot for special celebrations, specifically for women. Perfect for engagement, wedding, baby, new job, birthdays, any occasion you want to celebrate with your female friends and relatives. Or just because you are feeling fancy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/21/2014We always look forward to and enjoy our lunches at the Rotunda. Food and service are always excellent. The lobster club is always a delight and the seasonal squash ravioli was divine! Desserts are always a treat. We can count on a lovely experience every time--that is why we return often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Afternoon TeaOahuDined on 11/19/2014Beautiful resteraunt, awesome views, attentive service. The food was not a good experience, I expected over the top which I feel was not even close to what I was served. The scones were bland, when I bit into my salmon I should not hear anything cracking in my mouth...I did and to find a way to remove it from my mouth in a gracious way added to the whole bad experience. The popovers were amazing so points for that, otherwise skip tea and have a nice lunch instead.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SF landmark for lunch and afternoon teamariaDined on 11/18/2014I really love this place, esp. After the closure of the Compass Rose Tea Room at the St Francis..how elegant it is to enjoy afternoon tea, champagne and a small bite or lunch after one has shopped!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Union Square GemNMRotundaVIPDined on 11/17/2014I have had lunch at The Rotunda many times. I am writing a review for the first time because my visit on Monday was so special. My college roommate was in town for my birthday, and I knew she'd love the ceiling, the window table, the view of the square, the friendly service, and most importantly, the delicious food. If you go, make a reservation early and request a window table. You will have an experience like no other. It was perfect in every way. I'm already planning a lunch date for January.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shopping BreakMicahDined on 11/16/2014Great place to take a snack break while shopping. I really enjoy the seasonal cocktails! Make reservations because the wait is often ridiculous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite lunch spot on Union SquareOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/15/2014This is one of our all-time favorite lunch spots. The popovers are Devine! Lobster bisque is the best, the lobster sandwich too. Get a seat on the out ring and watch the shoppers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Afternoon TeaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014A lovely experience with delicious teas and food selections. Excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Love The RotundaJosieKVIPDined on 11/12/2014Perfect setting for a festive and delicious lunch. The best ever popovers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overrated SF traditionCacgceDined on 11/11/2014Took my daughter on our shopping spree, has been on our list for years. Great service! We ordered salmon and soup. Food was bland esp. Veggies and quinoa with salmon. As you would expect pretentious, old school crowd. Felt like I want back in the 80's. Chef was roaming around trying to sell his cookbook. Glad we went one time to,say we have been. Doubt we will return.Special Features:
- cvlovesfoodcvlovesfoodDined on 11/9/2014Love the lobster club sandwich. Love the popover. Love the seating near the laylight.Special Features:
- Great ambiance, under the great Dome, circularJan99VIPDined on 11/9/2014seating with a great view of Union Square. Right after being seated, the server brought us this soothing Chicken Consomne with a small puff pastry. A great way to start a meal. Then they brought their great Popovers with strawberry butter. The Lobster Bisque was wonderful, as well as the our seafood entrees. Service and food were both outstanding. I would definitely be back. I would like to schedule brunch when there is a trunk show, or during the holidays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special placeSipperDined on 11/9/2014I try to make it in each time I'm in SF, just feels special for lunch. Best to go on a weekday, weekends are crowded with people wearing flip flops and t shirts. This diminishes the experience for everyone unfortunately. Also, make a reservation, even if its 15 min from that time.Special Features:
- Great for lunch and tea!trvllvrDined on 11/8/2014The Rotunda is an on-going favorite spot for lunch and tea. LOVE the lobster club!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great lunchCityCatDined on 11/7/2014Love that we were able to duck in from the hustle and bustle of the city and shopping for a lovely and delicious lunch. The popovers are my favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely place for a ladies' lunchlccmomVIPDined on 11/7/2014Beautiful setting, lovely food and excellent service. I especially liked he hot popovers and strawberry butter served before the meal. I was also impressed by the fact that they provided me with a copy of the recipe.....nice touch!
- Unhappy experienceCarlDined on 11/5/2014Was unhappy with my reservatio. Asked for a soecial table and was tld that all the table next to the window were reserved . EVEN though i made my reservation from overseas more than two weeks befofre the dateSpecial Features:
- A Treasure in Many WaysAnnKDined on 11/5/2014The crab and shrimp Louie was fresh and delicious but very light on avocado. I counted three small pieces. Seems strange for such a nice restaurant and for such a heady price. If I order it again, I will have to ask for extra avocado. This is my only criticism. Otherwise, the ambiance is spectacular and the service first class. Don't be intimated by dress though....it just doesn't happen. I fully expected some were in jeans here. This is somewhat disappointing to me but that's casual San Francisco at work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServerOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/1/2014There was a server who wasn't our server, but I had tried to get his attention to see if he could locate our server to order something more. Very rudely, he walks by quickly, doesn't even bother stopping and snaps, "You'll have to wait for your server!" I was caught off guard and thought to myself, "Did he just snap at me?" The elder couple next to us immediately chimed in and said, "That man was extremely rude!" Luckily another server walked by and was more than willing to be helpful. Maybe a review on how to treat diners is in order for that particular server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- thankskdthankskdVIPDined on 10/30/2014Neiman Marcus Rotunda was as pleasant viewing and superb eating as one could wish. So far, the best grilled or baked salmon I have eaten in San Francisco. The Rotunda has just completed a full renovation (except for its historic glass ceiling) which allows the lovely San Francisco light to enter the rotunda and glimmer in a most elegant fashion. I especially appreciate Open Table because of the ease in obtaining a reservation at the Rotunda; from long years of experience I know how difficult it is to obtain a table without a long wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delightful dining experience.NonicknameVIPDined on 10/30/2014Combining The Rotunda's great location and wonderful view with their truly outstanding food and service will be another highlight in one's San Francisco experience. From appetizers to salads to entrees, the choices are many and excellent. Even their simple hamburger is very far from "simple"; it is a juicy, flavorful, fully garnished, truly delicious selection (and, in my opinion, the best hamburger in the bay area!!). We have been to The Rotunda often, and always look forward to our visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All time best ever SF lunch spot!!FooddivaDined on 10/29/2014Every time I come to San Francisco with friends we have lunch on the window at The Rotunda & it's always perfect!! The lobster bisque incredible!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the popovers!!!Luv2eatVIPDined on 10/25/2014My first stop when arriving in San Francisco! The restaurant is beautiful, great service, delicious food, & amazing popovers! Not to be missed! Raphael & Rodney were courteous & pleasant! Thanks for a lovely lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something seemed off...Happy2ShareDined on 10/25/2014Having dined at the Rotunda many times in the past, my wife and I were very disappointed with our latest visit. The people at the front desk were not very accommodating although we had made reservations, the menu has gone downhill and the new cocktail menu was a little too creative. Our initial server was not very helpful although halfway through a more experienced person took over and at least sympathized with us. We felt the food preparation and presentation was uninspired. All in all, we were very disappointed and will think twice before trying the Rotunda again.
- Reception service very poorcomstockVIPDined on 10/24/2014There was no reception line when I entered the restaurant five minutes prior to my reservation time. As I got within three feet of the two receptionists, the gentleman initiated a conversation with his colleague and just left me standing until he had finished. No apology was forthcoming from said gentleman who asked a colleague to show me to my table. My guest, who arrived soon after, was told that I had not checked in. She was not shown to my table but was told to stand by the entrance. Had I not called my guest on her cell after waiting for fifteeen minutes my lunch gathering would have been completely ruined by such atrocious service. In contrast, the table service was excellent - courteous, unobtrusive and prompt.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014An excellant experience on my return visit to San Francisco. Would recommend it to everyone I know who will be visiting S.F. I live in Vancouver B.C. Canada so will spread the word . Bonnie WudrickSpecial Features:
- Take Your Parents to Lunch DayRonVinsonDined on 10/23/2014My mom was in town from NYC and I decided to take to a place with a nice atmosphere and great food. The food was impeccable and had an amazing view of Union Square. The service was excellent and the special drink choices were on point and refreshing for a beautiful. day.Special Features:
- The most spectacular view in SFTootieDined on 10/23/2014It's always a pleasure to have lunch at The Rotunda at Neiman Marcus. This terrific locale was originally the Rotunda restaurant of the City of Paris department store. It retains the old world charm of a by-gone era. An extra special place to be while visiting San Francisco or for locals. 5 stars goes to the wait staff. Always cordial, pleasant with a genuine, sincere smiles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love itOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014This is our special place! We have been coming here every Sunday or Saturday morning for lunch. The popovers with blueberry butter are heavenly!Special Features:
- Birthday Lunch TraditionMiltonDined on 10/18/2014We come up on my wife's birthday, we love the pop-overs, she has the lobster club, I have the crab and shrimp salad. The staff treat her like a queen. We translate the inscription on the dome and after lunch, go to the 4th floor and look at the Christmas decorations. We then walk around each floor on our way down while my wife admires the fashions. Union Square is crowed with the Nike Women's marathoners, we stroll over Gumps and check out their Christmas Ornaments and then over to China Town - it is a perfect day and we've had the perfect lunch.Special Features:
- Underwhelmed ...oneSTANdardVIPDined on 10/18/2014I heard amazing things about the lobster club and could not wait to try. My enthusiasm was squashed as the lobster lacked seasoning, creaminess or sweetness others attested. The cod dish and burrata beet salad were tasty. The worst part was the shift change in our wait staff where the replacement, Pam, was like a ghost. In fact, the check was dropped off by another waiter and waited for 15 minutes for Pam to show up. The one-two punch of being underwhelmed by the lobster club and inattentive service will be my last.Special Features:
- Slipping in some areasGlanzDined on 10/17/2014Still an experience, but slipping in the service area. They use to provide a dramatic dessert for birthdays (with the birthday person name in chocolate on the plate rim and a fabulous large decoration), now you don't even get a candle, we asked for at least a candle and the waiter said they have none. We also reserved a table with a view well in advance for this special occasion but they did not have one ready for us and the wait for one was too long. The rest of the experience was wonderful as usual. The food is still very good and the ambiance was delightful as ever. I will go back, but hope they understand that people expect that little extra on the dessert in a place like this when it's a birthday or anniversary.Special Features:
- Tired and over ratedHuntergathererDined on 10/17/2014The food is over priced and the decor just tired. Popovers are great but can't carry the experience
- Waiting for table is very longAmandaDined on 10/12/2014Hostess are not that great! They need to hire new staff.Special Features:
- Classic woman's lunch spotDee1202Dined on 10/12/2014Wonderful special occasion spot. Rated at 4 stars only because service was spotty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grumpiest server at Sunday lunch :[groovedinerSFDined on 10/12/2014Normally I give The Rotunda dining experience 4 or 5 stars. This time, however, we had the worst service imaginable. Our waitress (Meghan Hanley) began her service without a smile, but a look of utter contempt. She rolled her eyes when I waved her over to take our order. When we asked about a Sunday brunch menu, she looked annoyed and curtly proclaimed "we've never offered Sunday brunch. ever." and walked away. Her whole demeanor screamed "I do not want to be here, I do not enjoy serving you, I hate my job." It truly ruined what would have been an otherwise pleasant and delicious meal of lobster bisque and lobster sandwich. Thanks to Dahn who saved the service experience at the end of the meal and apologized on behalf of the restaurant...