The Rosedale Diner
1164 Yonge Street
Toronto, ON M4W 2L9Neighborhood:
Rosedale / Summerhill
Fusion / EclecticPrice: CAN$30 and under
The Rosedale Diner
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rosedalediner.com/
- Phone: 4169233122
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:30am - 3:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic
- Executive Chef: Dubi Filar
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Even though our place is intimate, we can accommodate large parties in the privacy of our back dining room or throughout the whole restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: Dubi Filar 4169233122
A word from The Rosedale Diner
This Toronto landmark is a family-owned restaurant and institution since 1978. Famous for its Bohemian style and Israeli flair, it serves lunch on weekdays, brunch on weekends, and dinner every evening from 5:30pm – 10:00pm. Tel: 416-923-3122Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Rosedale Diner reviews from OpenTable diners
- A classic!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/6/2014Can't go wrong here; nothing fancy, but the food is fresh, tasty and healthy!Special Features:
- Pleasant surpriseGayleDined on 4/4/2014The exterior of the diner is a bit rougher than I imagined and the interior somewhat downtrodden but the food is excellent. An imaginative menu; very tasty. Good wine list.Special Features:
- Homey Spot in SummerhillGoesplacesfromhereDined on 3/8/2014We picked the Diner because it looked like a nice place to catch up with friends. We did not want to be someplace too stuffy, or in a pub no matter how upscale, The Rosedale was a great find! The food was reasonable priced with large portions. The drinks menu was if I recall higher priced, but the bartender did a fine job mixing drinks and it was nice to watch the man at work. My friend got the Table d'hote and it was a great value. We all enjoyed sharing her Bread Pudding and it was very fresh and appealing. My friend was stuck in traffic and I called to hold our reservation and the Diner was so nice about it - we felt welcomed when we arrived. Great waiter, nice night! But my steak was over cooked and I wish I tried the ribs instead.I would recommend this to a friend.
- C U AgainKunderaDined on 2/28/2014Food was excellent... Wine significantly overpriced... Will try byob next timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to diner ..OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/7/2014It is very relaxing place to have a nice dinner and enjoy the quite and comfortable place .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but terrible servicechocolatedoeyDined on 2/4/2014The dinner we had was absolutely amazing, but the service just not matching up. It was almost impossible to get any attention from the waitress we had, not because the place was crazy busy(it was busy), but because she was constantly playing/ texting on her phone. Although the food and cocktails are amazing, we would not return anytime soon.Special Features:
- Great winterlicious menu.MintoDined on 1/31/2014Great winterlicious menu. Best scallops I have ever had in my life. Tables were a little crowded together. Overall I would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little expensiveMacFoodieVIPDined on 1/30/2014good restaurant, a little expensive but good overallSpecial Features:
- Geat food!DoodyBDined on 8/20/2013Food was amazing! Service was a lil slow cuz they were down servers, but they were up front and very friendly. Will be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rosedale's got CharacterPhillipo83Dined on 7/20/2013Definitely a chic- avantgarde dive! Its like something out of the 70's but with a twist. Their patio makes you feel like you're right at home.. The service, and food was awesome... DDD Poutine au Canard. off-the-bone duck confit & québécois cheese curds, frites, demi-glace gravy. lots of gravy, the duck confit was something different yet delish! love the creativity and culinary risk involved! Steak Frites grilled Flat iron with & mini red potatoes and sinfully delicious smoked bacon salad, chimichurri chimchurri sauce added versatility to the steak, bacon was a cute yet surpirsing touch to the dish! ....cooked perfectly Dessert......yikes i forgot what we had. lol..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place! We love it!MeowDined on 7/14/2013You may be a bit disappointed to their air conditioning, but the food, services and locations are great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty good summerlicious menuToLadyDined on 7/12/2013We went for lunch. The food was very good, especially the salad. The main courses were ok, good but not great. We had noted on our reservation that one of our party had a nut allergy but were served a salad with nuts; the server quickly corrected and brought a new salad. it may be they do not read the notes/requests that are entered on Open Table and just TAA ethe time and number in party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went for summerlicious. OnJimy1mDined on 7/7/2013Went for summerlicious. On menu, said mini red potatoes. Came with potato salad instead. Mediocre duck confit poutine. Excellent deserts
- Food was delicious. ServiceBeanDined on 7/4/2013Food was delicious. Service was horrible. The waitress was rude and not helpful, she only became engaged and friendly when it was time to pay the bill and tip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local favouriteOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/26/2013Always enjoy my meals here, both inside, and outside in the charming rear patio area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic dinner!MmmmDined on 6/8/2013NO wonder this restaurant has been around for so long. My husband and I wanted to go out around Summerhill to do "something different" than our usual/local Yonge & Lawrence. We looked up the map and found a couple restaurants and quickly decided on Rosedale Diner. Our dinner was amazing. The calamari is one of the best I've ever had (and I am not a calamari person). My husband had duck confit poutine for his main course and I had sticky Asian ribs - both fabulous. Our server was lovely, so helpful and made great recommendations on dinner & wine. We will definitely be back and will recommend to friends. Subway to summerhill and it's right there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinerWheresthebeefVIPDined on 5/25/2013We have been before and really enjoy the food. Unfortunately they forgot my main course but, we're fast to offer a replacement and at no charge. We would go back, food always good.Special Features:
- OK - shrug - not going backSukiesnowDined on 5/24/2013From experience I have rules for dining and delivery. This experience added one rule: When you know an eatery has undergone Restaurant Takeover do NOT order from the Specials menu. Chances are the 'cook' does not know how to prepare them, since they have only been instructed to follow the Restaurant Takeover menu. The ambience was OK once you got used to the noise level, but it was mostly due to our friendly server and other engaging diners. Original decor was more pleasant than it is at present. I have a beef about putting my stuff on the floor. Please find a solution. It's off-putting to keep subconscious track of purchases after shopping all day. I had a wonderful evening but it was due to my wonderful dining companion.
- neighbourhood favouriteOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/29/2013normally very reliable neighbourhood restaurant Monday night free corkage. However standard this time was not as good as normalSpecial Features:
- Reserved Seating Etiquette NeededviviVIPDined on 4/12/2013I've resisted writing this review because we are fans of the Rosedale Diner. There's something about being seated in the back room that takes away from my dining experience. I realize it's a small space and we had a group of 6. The food was good as always but I just enjoy being IN the restaurant rather than feeling pushed aside. Reserving in advance it would have been nice to have had a spot saved up front without having to request a specific table. To her credit, our server did ask if the table was ok and I should have said something but it was already set up for us and I don't like to be fussy having everyone stand around while the seating is changed. I wished I had responded honestly.Special Features:
- First time there and was aOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/9/2013First time there and was a little nervous because it's named after Rosedale. Very nice people and great service and very welcoming. Great food as well. Recommended to all my friends afterwards. Will definitely go again thank you.Special Features:
- I enjoyed the atmosphere,OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/1/2013I enjoyed the atmosphere, food and service, but the chairs need upgrading. I will definitely be back.Special Features:
- This was our first visit,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/23/2013This was our first visit, and all four of us were extremely pleased with our meals. The chicken dijonnaise was particularly amazing, and the moussaka, seafood linguini and sticky Asian ribs were also very tasty. Our server was very kind, helpful and he knew the menu well, and the drinks were also delicious. We definitely feel like we discovered a perfect and cozy little spot! The place is small, but the ambiance is great, music was great and played soft enough to enjoy in between conversation. Overall great experience. This place really is a "neighborhood gem."Special Features:
- Great experience! FriendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Great experience! Friendly staff, food was excellent! Love that baked BrieSpecial Features:
- We were there for WinterliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/26/2013We were there for Winterlicious which may not have been the best time to do a review what with the Restaurant being very busy, but we did enjoy the food and the price was reasonable.Special Features:
- The Rosedale Diner continuesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/3/2013The Rosedale Diner continues to be one of our favourites. We have been several time and the food doesn't ever disappoint. This time we were a party of five, and appetizers were delicious as were mains. We think the calamari is second to none--very tender and extremely light batter. We love the duck and the moules frites was great. We consider this one of our standard neighborhood bistros, with above average food, friendly service and a wonderful casual atmosphere. Don't change a thing.Special Features:
- Service was uncharacteristicallyOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/24/2012Service was uncharacteristically slow and the portions were smaller than usual - normally very consistent - will still go back!
- When I arrived there was noBigtiggerVIPDined on 11/14/2012When I arrived there was no trace of my OT reservation. I do not know whether this was the restaurant's fault or yours.
- Wine tends to be expensive,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/10/2012Wine tends to be expensive, and our first two choices were out of stock. Poor first impression when I brought out-of-town guests and the restaurant had cancelled my reservation in error because someone with the same first name (I had provided first and last name) called to cancel. Luckily they were able to seat us anyway. Food was lovely and happily the restaurant was pretty quiet.Special Features:
- Very warm and stuffy in theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/10/2012Very warm and stuffy in the back room. Service was friendly but not so swift. Food was delicious and large portions. Yummy hummus, and vegetarian moussaka was delicious. My hubby had the tagine. and said that was good too.
- We went to the Rosedale DinerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/17/2012We went to the Rosedale Diner to welcome back an old friend and meet some new ones. It was mid-September so the back patio was open. We sat in a little covered alcove and had the best time. It felt like being in Europe. We sat for hours and ate and drank and enjoyed. Service was fabulous!Special Features:
- The food was good. Fair selection.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2012The food was good. Fair selection. But service was a little slow. We could have taken off and not paid our bill and nobody would have noticed. Good think we live in Canada and Canadians usually don't skip out on their bill.Special Features:
- Not very kid friendly as thereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/2/2012Not very kid friendly as there was no room to change my baby. There were also no food options for children. The place itself was very warn out and dated. The service was ok, I felt that the waiter could have been more attentive. On the positive side the food was excellent.Special Features:
- Forget Sunday eveningsOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/24/2012We booked a table for 3 spontaneously, on a Sunday evening. We arrived on time for 7:00pm and were seated promptly. We were told that most of the mains were 'no longer available' (much of what we wanted to order). Our server explained that it had been a very busy day and that she had been on since early morning. When we ordered, we waited for 40 minutes before I asked the server if we could have our appetizer (hummus) first, thinking it doesn't take that long for a non cooked dish. She said she'd planned to bring all our order at the same time, as were sharing. When we got our mains it was duck confit, not on the menu, instead of the duck confit poutine, as we ordered. it was fine, we were hungry.. never returning Sunday evenings.
- Everything we ordered wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/6/2012Everything we ordered was delicious and the service was great.Special Features:
- Great upscale "diner" withJohnf1961VIPDined on 6/1/2012Great upscale "diner" with good quality, inventive fare that keeps the diner feel, but kicks it up a notch. The kind of place you go back to again and again.Special Features:
- Our waiter was not friendly,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/17/2012Our waiter was not friendly, being rather short in his tone and seeming irritated. We had to keep asking for more water rather than him checking in and noticing, he made the experience somewhat uncomfortable. The food itself wasn't bad for some of us, though their burgers have been very, very dry past visits and this one included, doesn't really matter the variety as different kinds are equally overcooked . My husband and I shared a calamari appetizer and we both were unwell the next day until it cleared our system. For what you get, the menu is overpriced, the seating is crowded and the service wasn't great. While I like the atmosphere/decor and outdoor space, the experience has been forgettable the past handful of times I've been :(
- The worst food I have hadOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/13/2012The worst food I have had in years. I have had some horrible food. The mother's day brunch was a disaster. the service was apathetic. Sad. Wish I could get my 150 bucks back but better yet my 2 hours of time in that hole!
- Seemed understaffed when weelRonconVIPDined on 5/10/2012Seemed understaffed when we went there. We were sitting, but not offered water or drinks until the other 3 tables around us were cleared and cleaned. Once we did receive our drinks and starter, it was another 15min before a server came for our dinner order. Also seems a bit overpriced for the quality of food and service being provided.Special Features:
- A great dinner, great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/4/2012A great dinner, great food and great service. We were a group of four ladies and happily seated alone in the back room. We could easily speak to each other and didn't have to shout. The service was great. Our waiter was adorable and attentive but not annoying. He didn't rush us and was helpful with our food selections. We will definitely go back.Special Features: