1500 W Taylor Street
Chicago, IL 60607Neighborhood:
Little Italy / University Village
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rosebudrestaurants.com/
- Phone: (312) 942-1117
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:30pm, Friday: 11:00am - 11:30pm, Saturday: 12:00pm - 11:30pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Francisco Rodriguez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Dancing, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Serving award-winning homemade Italian classics, delectable desserts and made-to-order specialty cakes by our renowned pastry chef, even the most demanding taste buds will be delighted by Rosebud's off-site catering services. For more information or to consult with an event coordinator, call (773) 325-9700.
- Private Party Facilities: Join us on Taylor Street to see why the name Rosebud has become synonymous with the celebration of fine Italian cuisine and superior wine selections. Enjoy signature Italian dishes ideal for sharing, like our famous stuffed mushrooms, chicken vesuvio and generous portions of our renowned pasta.
- Private Party Contact: Nick Lombardo 312-942-1117x
A word from The Rosebud
Renowned for generous portions of hospitality and authentic Italian cuisine, Rosebud sets the standard for fine Italian dining throughout the Chicago-land area. A long standing favorite among Chicagoans, tourists and celebrities alike, The Rosebud first opened its doors on Taylor Street in the heart of Little Italy in 1977. The restaurant continues to thrive, conquering appetites of countless hungry diners with generous portions of unforgettable Italian fare. Join us to see why Rosebud is one of Chicago’s most exciting dining destinations and enjoy a bountiful array of our signature dishes including chicken Vesuvio, sausage and peppers, and of course the best plate of spaghetti and meatballs in town.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
The Rosebud - Best Restaurants in Little Italy / University Village ›
The Rosebud reviews from OpenTable diners
154 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (93)special occasion (66)good for groups (58)fit for foodies (54)romantic (52)notable wine list (31)great for lunch (20)kid-friendly (17)great for outdoor dining (15)hot spot (15)late-night find (8)great for brunch (4)vibrant bar scene (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- A mixed reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/23/2014The chicken cacciatore was very good. The veal Marsala didn't taste like veal Marsala. It was rather tasteless and the sauce had a bitter taste. The service was very attentive and helpful. We were very disappointed that the restaurant could not accept one of two $50.00 gift cards that we wanted to use. They claimed that one of the cards was not valid. We are waiting to hear from them about this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Passed it's primebbferguVIPDined on 11/21/2014This restaurant was highly recommended by neighbors who grew up in Little Italy. However, it has been years since they have been here and lived here. It may have been great 30 years ago but a huge disappointment for us. After a $20 cab ride from the Drake Hotel, we were greeted by our hostess Brianna. After perusing the wine menu, I decided on the house Rosebud bottle of Chianti pointing to it (to Brianna) at $44 on the menu. She brought the bottle and I tried it , didn't like it but thought it may get better with time. We then inquired about the Brick Chicken having never heard of it...it sounded great so we ordered it. When the neighboring table was presented with a seafood tower, we mentioned to Brianna that we never saw that on the menu...she said it was a special...we said you never told us there was specials...she said that we had decided on the brick chicken so she didn't bother to tell us....an experienced host would ask if we wanted to hear the specials first.... Our bill was promptly set down (not having asked for it) as soon as our dessert was delivered...Brianna said no hurry but came back 3 times to see if we were ready to pay (while we were still drinking our wine and eating dessert). We felt very rushed and I said to my husband they must want our table. He said that there were two empty behind us so he didn't think so. When we looked at the bill, we realized Brianna had not given us the wine we ordered....she only heard house wine, did not pay attention to where I was pointing on the menu so gave us a cheaper bottle of the house wine. We did tell her once we saw the bill. Brianna is poorly trained. It was all in all avery disappointing experience for us, especially after spending $40 in taxis to get there! Not recommended for foodies!
- JanjlcdDined on 11/21/2014Rosebud was great We had a reservation for 6 which changed to 8 and we wanted to go earlier No problem they saw the 8 of us as soon as we arrived Wonderful dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chicago LandmarkOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/18/2014The Rosebud is a Chicago icon. The neighborhood, the ambience, the stories (the Chicago Fire started very close to the location) and the food are all stellar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old schoolOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/15/2014Rosebud is old school. The food is great and the portions huge. Our waitress was pleasant and professional but had the typical brash of someone from the neighborhood. The place is loud and small. Luckily we made a reservation for 7 but only had 5. We would have had to sit on top of each other. Quirky experience but with top quality food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/9/2014Are server Jay was hands on he very good anytime we needed anything he was there we were going to a hawks game he got us out fastSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gem of Taylor StreetOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014Having not been back to The Rosebud on Taylor in many years I was happy to see it still a buzz with a full house into the late evening. Made a reservation at 7pm and was brought right in upon arrival. We were warned that the portions were huge and they were. The Sausage and Peppers is still amazing along with many other old standbys. The specials of sea bass, lobster ravioli and breaded veal chops made it so difficult to decide. The salads were also delicious and huge. Of all old world Chicago Italian restaurants, Rosebud is STILL my #1!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpecialkDined on 11/8/2014Everything about my visit to Rosebud was "spot on." Food was excellent and service was even better- From being greeted- seated, to our excellent server Jay. Staff continually checked on our well being w/o being intrusive. Entire wait staff was exemplarySpecial Features:
- PickyDined on 11/5/20141st time there expected better it truly was just average for the price they charge could get better at a small Italian restaurant in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The RosebudOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/2/2014The food was good and served quickly even thought the room was full. The server knew the menu and did a great job on a busy night.
- Wonderful Waiter, Wonderful FoodJB54Dined on 11/2/2014I apologize for not remembering the waiters name...I am going to call him "Fancy Watch Guy". He and my son have the same Hobby....Loving watches! He was very informative and explained the specials and other dishes in a professional manner! I would want to have him wait on us again! Thanks so much...you made it very enjoyable for us in celebrating my Son's 23rd B Day!Special Features:
- FeedbackOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014It was a great choice and great value for the money. A place to return to and highly recommend.Special Features:
- Good foodNoreenDined on 11/1/2014We've been coming here for years and enjoy the food and ambience. The Taylor street location is our favorite place,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- From out of town.mpeter08Dined on 10/31/2014Recommended and lived up to reputation. Very friendly service at our pace. Vry large portions. E All the dishes were good. Wine list was broad and reasonable.Special Features:
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/31/2014We had dinner before the Bull's opener for the season. Although we were late for our reservation due to horrible traffic, our server, Angela, placed our orders quickly and we managed to have an enjoyable meal that did not feel rushed. The dishes, Mahi Mahi and Sea Bass, were excellent. Angela was helpful in the wine selection as well as allowing us to adjust our preparation of our meal.Special Features:
- Loved it!jnjlvgdfdDined on 10/25/2014Great eating experience for 5 of us. We were able to select from a price range that all felt they could afford. Portions were more than ample. Our server was friendly and accommodating. The evening sea bass stuffed with crab special was outstanding. Mixed drinks could be a bit more generous. Definitely a go-back-to-place when we are in that part of the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top NotchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014I took my girlfriend here for a quality romantic dinner. Service was great and food was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old time Italian restaurant feelJR42Dined on 10/25/2014A wonderful meal with lots of dinning options, well beyond the typical italian fare. The menu only provides limited information (just the names of the dishes). But this allows the waiters to describe the preparation and content in a very description and in our case a theatrical manner. My only negative was that our table was just a bit too close to the next table, making impossible to move our chairs back even an inch. But this really didn't distract from the meal or the experience.Special Features:
- Outstanding foodBostonDined on 10/24/2014The food was great.... Delicious and very generous portions. We had the crab cake appetizer and it was the best I have ever had. Jay, our server provided excellent service.Special Features:
- Gem!FoodieAtHeartDined on 10/23/2014Wanted a good Italian place while in Chicago. Last minute reservations- but what a nice surprise. Awesome server, knew the menu well. Expedient service and great food...have to have the sausage and peppers! We had a nice quiet romantic dinner and would return without hesitationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Reliable Neighborhood FriendAdda40VIPDined on 10/23/2014Year after year I return to The Rosebud and I ask the same question, "how do they keep it up?" The food is always reliably good, the service attentive, and the experience excellent. I particularly enjoy lunch because whether you desire soups, salads, sandwiches, or more, the varied menu will meet your needs and always be satisfying. I particularly enjoy their unique meatball or egg plant salads. I look forward to my next visit and will expect it to be a great experience. I have yet to be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyedDined on 10/20/2014We had a delightful luncheon. The food was excellent and the service superb. We will come back.Special Features:
- RussVIPDined on 10/19/2014Excellent as always. We love Rosebud on Taylor an dit never disappoints us.Special Features:
- Best waiter ever!babsDined on 10/18/2014Patrick, our waiter was the best ever!The food was great. Large portions so we ordered a salad and appetizer. Rosebud scampi was excellent. House made tiramisu was also fantastic. The restaurant was crowded and a little noisy, not where you would go for an intimate evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ItalianrestaurantDined on 10/18/2014First off, I loved our waiter Patrick! Anyways the food was great as well as the other staff. Only bad side was that it was way too loud to have the romantic quiet night we wanted. We were seated literally a foot from another couple..felt like a double date. Other than that, I enjoyed it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alway a winner!DonnaVIPDined on 10/18/2014Before a Black hawk or Bulls game you can't go wrong, great food and serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Mediocre ExperiencelmillerDined on 10/18/2014Rosebud continues to drive me nuts. I want to love the place because of the quality of the food, which is outstanding. I don't think there's a bad item on the menu, and the chicken vesuvio is the best in Chicago. The problem is in the execution. We sat down and the table wobbles. Not the stick a sugar packet under it type, the pedestal is loose from the base. Next we get asked if we'd like drinks with no wine list offered. No specials card, so you're left to try to remember them. Next we get told any chicken dish is an hour wait, "maybe a little less". Which I appreciate, so we order pasta and a salmon dish, but they take 50 minutes as well. Both great dishes, but by this time we're aggravated enough it doesn't matter.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/17/2014We were looking for a casual Italian place and Rosebud hit the mark! The food was delicious, lots of vegetarian options, excellent service and a fun atmosphere. I would definitely recommend Rosebud!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Work dinneriliketoeatVIPDined on 10/14/20147 of us had dinner here while out of town on business. We were a bit of a handful to take care of but the wait staff was VERY patient with us!! Food was wonderful but note that the servings are humongous. Apps can easily be shared between three people unless you are unbelievably hungry. Recommend the eggplant appetizer and the veal parm. The desserts are enormous too. However, the chocolate cake is totally work the calories ... super chocolaty icing and cake and big enough to share among all 7 of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Again!TheMadRussianDined on 10/12/2014As always, the food was fantastic ... like my Italian mother used to cook ... makes me think of home!Special Features:
- First VisitPsteinnhaDined on 10/11/2014We dined here in our first trip to Chicago and it was one of our best decisions. Service and food were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic Italian!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/11/2014The Rosebud is a classic. Joined family and friends for dinner on a Saturday night. Food was very good. And huge servings - enough to share! We were extremely pleased with everything. The only downfall was that we were seated at a table upstairs near the walkway and one of our table guests kept getting bumped into.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely delicious!ProudMomDined on 10/11/2014The food was delicious and they give you lots of it! Even though every seat was filled, the service was timely and attentive. One of our favorite places to eat in Chicago!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OriginalwanderlustDined on 10/9/2014Good for large appetites and those looking for reasonable food prices. Found veal dishes swimming in sauce.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014I did not receive an email confirmation from Open Table when I made my reservation. I replied to a previous email requesting one but it never came through. Reservation was indeed held at Rosebud and we had a terrific dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food factoryfoodie57Dined on 10/3/2014We had a reservation with Open Table and were disappointed to be seated in the noisy, over-crowded and very cold bar area. It was cold because the front door opens to the bar. The Chicken Milianase was flavorless and greasy. The food arrived very quickly like a factory without any thought to preparation and seasoning. The restaurant offered a free coffee or dessert due to my dissatisfaction but I declined. They ultimately comped the entree which I appreciated. The Rosebud used to be a gem on Taylor Street but has turned into a "nothing special" over priced experience where the table turnover rate seems to be what matters.
- Traditional Italian2RymansDined on 9/28/2014If you are of Italian decent, this is the type of place you would bring your grandmother to. The best of traditional Italian food and atmosphere, with portions big enough to feed three normal people. Don't hesitate to share a dish with someone, you will have more than enough to fill both of your stomach's and maybe have room for the delicious desserts.Special Features:
- First timerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014Always heard alot about this place, andit didn't disappoint. The patio dining gave a great view of the neighborhood, and the service was excellent. The penne with marinara was quite possibly the best I ever had and that was just the side to my chicken masala which was incredible. Will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ABSOLUTELY NOT ITALIAN!ItalianVisitorDined on 9/21/2014The only real Italian thing was the water! Do I need to add something more? A meat dish with pasta on the bottom; a chicken floating into the tomato sauce; fried cold calamari and a $65 small lobster tail with a bit of risotto (not good, of course). The price was unknown until the bill arrived... An horrific experience! Stay away from this FAKE restaurant... fake Italian, fake restaurant. And the waiter said he's Italian, when he has the traditional Mexican face! And of course, he does not speak Italian at all!!! I am Italian, so I tried to talked to him in my language, but he said his father preferred to grow him up in English! Come on!!!!! I will never return there!Special Features:
- rosebudsisiDined on 9/20/2014I have eaten at Rosebuds many times over the years and the food is usually always good..large quantities. I just hope it doesn't start to become like the Olive Garden..the appetizers we ordered had that feeling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.