The Root Restaurant & Bar
340 Town Center Blvd.
White Lake, MI 48386Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Root Restaurant & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.therootrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2486982400x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 11:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: James Rigato
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Root Restaurant & Bar will cater any event large or small. Chef James Rigato
and staff catered under their company Ripe Catering for 3 years before opening
The Root. Please contact The Root with any inquiries regarding your event.
- Private Party Facilities: The Root Restaurant & Bar will accommodate large parties in house as well as book the restaurant for private events, weddings, showers, work parties,
brunches and any other gathering. There is also a private business dining room
in Royal Oak, MI that The Root will book for private events and meetings. Please contact The Root with any inquiries regarding private dining.
- Private Party Contact: Jenn Rigato 2486982400x
A word from The Root Restaurant & Bar
The Root Restaurant & Bar is a locally owned and operated business that showcases the seasonality of food and beverage in Michigan and its surrounding areas. The comfortable yet refined dining room and bar, accented with stained ash wood and limestone, feature an open kitchen and a chef's counter where the customers can sit and watch their food being made. Chef James Rigato's menu changes often and has a variety of options including a local grass-fed beef burger, house-made desserts, fresh seafood and in-house smoked meats. The Root Bar has 8 Microbrews on draft and a full selection of wines, bottled beer, alcohol and house cocktails incorporating a number of Michigan breweries, distilleries and winemakers. The Root prides itself on offering casual dining with a higher standard of food, beverage and service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Root Restaurant & Bar - Best Restaurants in White Lake ›
The Root Restaurant & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
162 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (137)special occasion (95)neighborhood gem (79)hot spot (47)romantic (41)good for groups (39)notable wine list (38)great for lunch (32)great for brunch (23)great for outdoor dining (22)vibrant bar scene (19)kid-friendly (9)late-night find (8)scenic view (1)Show More
- noisy. food needed to be warmer.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/27/2014It took 3 hours for dinner. Party of 6 . Coffee was tepid.Special Features:
- deliciousilikefoodDined on 9/27/2014Root is a yummy little restaurant you would never expect to find tucked into a little strip mall! We loved each of our dishes, from appetizer to dessert...our server was nice, the restaurant was cool but not stuffy (in ambiance) and the food was unique and tasty! I'd definitely go again!Special Features:
- Interestingly DeliciousBillDined on 9/24/2014We went for the first time to celebrate my Mother's birthday with my three kids. The menu was not expansive but everything I tried was delicious. I had the shrimp and grits, which really popped with flavor. The drink menu was unusual and the one cocktail I had was sufficient. We saved room for dessert so I cannot comment on salads or apps. Desserts were also tasty. I would go back. I am a meat lover, but I would try their vegan tasting menu because I am interested in how they elevate the dishes without meat.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/20/2014Had the tasting menu. Very good. Music was too loud. Difficult to carry on a conversation. Server opened wine, poured the first glass & never poured moreSpecial Features:
- The Root is a GemBeerPocketbookDined on 9/16/2014The Tasting menu with wine pairings was wonderful. They seemed to be a little understaffed, but we weren't in a hurry and our waitress was very knowledgeable about the food preparation and the wines. They have a Pumpkin Feast with beer pairings coming up in October that looks fabulous!Special Features:
- Great experience!maggianofanDined on 9/16/2014Celebrated our anniversary at The Root. The service was fantastic. Our waiter was incredibly knowledgeable and able to answer every question we had. The menu changes here often, and for the first time, we were disappointed with our options. However, once we settled on something, our opinions changed! The chef's at The Root are incredibly talented and creative. The presentation makes you feel like dinner is 'an experience'. The food itself was a delight and we will be back there in a couple of months, excited to see what's new on the menu!Special Features:
- Something For EveryonebabyslowsyDined on 9/13/2014I like to try new foods, my husband always orders the same type of steak meal at every restaurant. We were both very happy with our meals. For dessert get the Milk and Honey. Local in season foods served. Vegan options.Special Features:
- Fabulous!MaryVIPDined on 9/13/2014Had sloppy Joe with optional fried egg....yum. Friends had Mac and cheese, shrimp and grits and burger. All were raving. If you've not experience this restaurant, put it on your restaurant bucket list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy food!MRGGDined on 9/13/2014The food was awesome, the waiter we had was a little off... We have been there before with better service, so it must have just been a bad egg!Special Features:
- Good overall experienceExperienceDined on 9/13/2014I brought my wife to dinner here for our anniversary and opted to do the tasting with wine pairing. Everything was very good and well presented. The waiter was very accomodating and knowledgable. I would recommend this to somebody looking to experience something more than just a fine meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding, as usualluvprimeDined on 9/12/2014Once again, we had a wonderful evening at The Root. Our server Tim was excellent - very knowledgeable about all food choices and made some very good recommendations. We brought some friends who were first timers at The Root - they will definitely be back.Special Features:
- WonderfulsouthpawDined on 9/9/2014Great food . .. .service . . . .atmosphere . ... . .what a find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The ROOT let us down.Truth316Dined on 9/6/2014After hearing some very good reviews, we finally made the fairly long trek to The Root. Although I am never one to shutter at a higher price for a great meal, I thought the a' la carte was a joy kill. I went for the $40 4-course meal with the Salmon. Blah. The appetizer was fairly tasty, but had two of the smallest scallops for an appetizer that I've ever seen. Not enough to share a bite. The salad was the largest portion of the meal, filled with fresh goodies. However, only so-so on overall flavor. The intermezzo pallet cleanser was the best part of the meal. The Salmon was cook to perfection, but lacked flavor, was a very small portion and surrounded by a few bland veggies. The dessert - good. Too late to save the experience.
- WonderfulAmateurFoodieDined on 9/6/2014The Executive Chef has visited our granddaughter's school for the past couple of years now. We decided to take her to lunch at the Root. It was a quiet Saturday but we enjoyed it immensely. The Crispy Pork Belly appetizer that my wife ordered was 'heavenly'. It was memorable. Everyone enjoyed the meal. The food was absolutely wonderful and we will be going back at the first opportunity.Special Features:
- perfect anniversary dinnermarmotDined on 9/5/2014Everything at the Root was perfect. We went for an anniversary celebration, and it could not have been better. The food was outstanding, and our server was helpful with selections and very knowledgeable. We were so glad we went and will go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/5/2014Good is consistently excellent, however the service both times we have been there has been only so-so. While the only restaurant of its caliber within 20 miles from food and preparation standpoint, the servers and bartenders have been a bit abrupt or seem almost angry that you are there. A warm smile goes a long way. The critics are correct when it comes to the talents of the chef and the kitchen, but having dined at The Lark, Cafe Cortina, the French Laundry (in Fenton), a dining experience starts at the door and should be shared by all restaurant staff.Special Features:
- Tasty Food, Great ServicePeteVIPDined on 9/5/2014This was our second trip to The Root. Service was great as was the taste of the food. The Orchard Salad and Beet Salad were outstanding as was the house made gelato. My Shrimp and Grits was delicious and I liked the added spice of the jalapeno pepper. My wife, on the other hand, ordered the Sloppy Joe and was told that without the jalapeno, it would not be hot/spicy...for her, it was STILL very hot/spicy. The great taste was overwhelmed by the hot. I enjoy hot/spicy food and I thought it was a bit hot, but I enjoyed it. Caveat: if you are sensitive to hot/spicy food, order and eat with caution!Special Features:
- Phenomenal food, excellent service.OffthepostDined on 9/4/2014Enjoyed a laid back atmosphere. The food was great....service was even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't be the lastDPHIIIDined on 8/30/2014Without question, The Root is one of the five best restaurants my wife and I have ever enjoyed. Every dish we has was amazing, and the service was impeccable. It's simply a must.Special Features:
- Jim59Dined on 8/30/2014Food was very creative and excellent. Prices were somewhat expensive, but worth every penny (or rather dollar!). Service was more than good. However my wife was disappointed in the ambiance. For the price and quality of the food here she expected a more upscale ambiance. Decor was OK, but the menu range from sandwiches on up and the crowd it caters to seems a blend of nighborhood walk ins and foodies going to a destination place. While this seems like a good business arrangement for owners, it takes away from the experience.Special Features:
- Fantastic ServiceKyleDined on 8/30/2014Recently dined at The Root for an anniversary meal and the service and food were exceptional. Vegan tasting menu was absolutely perfect and we couldn't have asked for a better night out!Special Features:
- Excellent foodMIFoodieFanDined on 8/29/2014A great menu with something for everyone on it, including fried bologna! The cheese platter is a "must have" and the tasting menu is a steal - very affordable, even with the wine pairing. I had a 5 course menu and each course was really wonderful. Service overall was good, albeit a bit slow to start. It took probably 10 minutes for our first drink to arrive. It was a Friday night and a packed house. The star of this restaurant is definitely the food - affordably priced and well balanced.Special Features:
- The RootEugeneDined on 8/29/2014Fabulous dining experience! No wonder they were voted a Best Restaurant in their first year along with honors in Detroit's Hour magazine.cSpecial Features:
- Can't wait to go backOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014Food was best I've tasted since my trip to Rome. Creative and flavorful. Service just right. Not to pushy but very knowledgable and helpfulSpecial Features:
- the root rocksJBC11Dined on 8/24/2014My wife and I had been planning a trip the "The Root" for more than a year after reading about it in the Detroit Free Press. We love great food and are into the "slow" food movement and were intrigued by James Rigator's "Farm to Table" approach. We had brunch on Sunday and it did not dissappoint. My wife had the fried chicken and waffles and I had the steak and ribeye. We both enjoyed French Presses and had sides of bacon and fresh fruit. Portions were worthy of a lumberjack's appetite. We had enough food that our take-away provided a second meal for each of us. Our server, Kylie, was prompt and courteous and knowledgable with a dash of good humor. The Root carries our highest recommendation for brunch. It was A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!Special Features:
- Brunch in White LakeZeke14Dined on 8/24/2014I am trying to make myself love this restaurant. I am still not overly impressed! Went for brunch with my husband and daughter. I ordered the sirloin and eggs. The steak was cooked perfectly, but I don't believe it was seasoned at all. The eggs were supposed to be over easy, but were more over medium. The fingerling potatoes were delicious! The Bloody Mary was also very yummy and spicy. My daughter ordered the biscuits and gravy, however, they should change the description to "biscuit" and gravy. It needed some salt, and the gravy tasted like it had some cheese in it. We didn't care for it. My husband ordered the house salmon lox, the only complaint is the portion, a little slight. Menu very limited.Special Features:
- Root Rockszootboy2000Dined on 8/23/2014The food was excellent and creative. The service was attentive without hovering. We got the wine and beer pairings with the tasting menu, and everything was top notch. I would recommend Root to any of my foodie friends.Special Features:
- Lives up to reputationmichigandailysDined on 8/22/2014My daughter and I wanted to come here before chef James Rigato was appearing on Top Chef. Had heard the food was great and it certainly was - even though all we had was sandwiches - they were really good sandwiches! Loved the pastrami one and the fries were also great - crisp and garlicy - yum! The price was very reasonable too. Lunch is only served Friday - Sunday.Special Features:
- Amazing FoodVandyVIPDined on 8/20/2014Some of the best food in any restaurant in Southeast MichiganSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rock 'n Roll brunch, you say?StillStuffedVIPDined on 8/17/2014Our group of six enjoyed our first Rock 'n Roll brunch at The Root last weekend. The food was great; the mimosas were nothing special - lacked the imaginative touches I'm used to at this creative restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JohnboyDined on 8/16/2014Our food and presentation of the entrée were excellent. We recommend and will be back soon.Special Features:
- Yum..PerfectDined on 8/16/2014Have had Breakfast, lunch and dinner here...all above expectations! a true GemSpecial Features:
- Excellent food and servicerj582Dined on 8/13/2014We celebrated my wife's birthday with excellent food and service. The one thing lacking is a scenic view of a lake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date with a foodie, and it paid offRandizzle64VIPDined on 8/12/2014I think it says a lot when your date is not only a trained sommelier, but a foodie as well, and she raves about the meal. Yes, if you are curious, the company was very good too. :-) With a menu that changes seasonally, commenting on specific dishes has a time sensitive value, but the pork belly with kimchi, and scallops were both great starters. I definitely recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delectable and unique presentationsSJ28Dined on 8/12/2014This was our 2nd time at The Root. I got the scallop appetizer and morrocan chicken, both were really delicious. My husband got the tasting menu and loved the choices as well. Everything was excellent, even the coffee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place, supporting MIOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/11/2014We had a wonderful experience at The Root. Our server, Travis, was knowledgable and appropriately attentive. His recommendations were great, including the amazing shrimp and grits that utilized, locally farmed shrimp. We loved that The Root used locally grown or raised food as much as possible. All of our food was delicious. I have no problem, with a restaurant in a strip mall, as long as when you get inside, you are no longer acutely aware that you are in a strip mall. The Root should create an ambiance that takes you away from the strip mall. It would help if they covered or reduced the amount of plate glass window in the front. Additionally, the area to the right as you walk in, feels detached from the rest of the restaurant.Special Features:
- Probably better at dinnerEarnstoneDined on 8/10/2014The buzz for this restaurant is off the charts so we had high expectations -- which were dashed rather quickly. Staff was bored beyond belief. Our specific wait person seemed to wish to be somewhere, anywhere else. Its new brunch menu sounded good but was quite routine in taste and appearance. Admittedly, we came at at bad time - 1:30 on a hot sunny summer Sunday so we got what we deserved. But given that The Root is renowned for its inventive chef and fresh offerings we'll try again at dinner.Special Features:
- Birthday dinnersunshinenwhineDined on 8/9/2014Took fiance there for dinner, great meal- scallop's app was outstanding. Good cocktail list, wine list seemed slightly limited. Service was terrific as well.Special Features:
- Great Food ExperienceLaurieSDined on 8/8/2014Dinner was great as usual! They have the best vegan options in the area - I love to be surprised by the unique selections they put together for the vegan dinner and I am never disappointed . Local ingredients helps make the food great as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The RootLuvorganicDined on 8/7/2014How lucky we are to have The Root in White Lake. Interesting, extremely tasty food, great service and soothing surroundings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.