The Root Restaurant & Bar
340 Town Center Blvd.
White Lake, MI 48386Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Root Restaurant & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.therootrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2486982400x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 11:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: James Rigato
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Root Restaurant & Bar will cater any event large or small. Chef James Rigato
and staff catered under their company Ripe Catering for 3 years before opening
The Root. Please contact The Root with any inquiries regarding your event.
- Private Party Facilities: The Root Restaurant & Bar will accommodate large parties in house as well as book the restaurant for private events, weddings, showers, work parties,
brunches and any other gathering. There is also a private business dining room
in Royal Oak, MI that The Root will book for private events and meetings. Please contact The Root with any inquiries regarding private dining.
- Private Party Contact: Jenn Rigato 2486982400x
A word from The Root Restaurant & Bar
The Root Restaurant & Bar is a locally owned and operated business that showcases the seasonality of food and beverage in Michigan and its surrounding areas. The comfortable yet refined dining room and bar, accented with stained ash wood and limestone, feature an open kitchen and a chef's counter where the customers can sit and watch their food being made. Chef James Rigato's menu changes often and has a variety of options including a local grass-fed beef burger, house-made desserts, fresh seafood and in-house smoked meats. The Root Bar has 8 Microbrews on draft and a full selection of wines, bottled beer, alcohol and house cocktails incorporating a number of Michigan breweries, distilleries and winemakers. The Root prides itself on offering casual dining with a higher standard of food, beverage and service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Root Restaurant & Bar - Best Restaurants in White Lake ›
The Root Restaurant & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
174 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (154)special occasion (95)neighborhood gem (87)hot spot (51)good for groups (44)romantic (41)notable wine list (39)great for lunch (28)great for brunch (27)vibrant bar scene (21)great for outdoor dining (20)kid-friendly (11)late-night find (9)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great Dinner / Hit or Miss BrunchLoveLocalVIPDined on 10/19/2014Dinner and dessert is always excellent. The brunch needs some work. Soggy lemon ricotta pancakes, too much icing or not enough cinnamon roll but delicious, dry waffle, amazing bacon. Best tiramisu around!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch is the BombjennyDined on 10/19/2014Best biscuits ever eaten in a restaurant and what a creative brunch menu!Special Features:
- The Root (of the problem)where2dineDined on 10/17/2014The night we arrived for our reservation, I was told we need to accept cash or check only because our internet service is down.I thought this was handled very unprofessionally, as did other customers who were walking out ahead of us. After deliberating my decision, I was reluctantly told we could take your credit card, but need to write down your info and input in later. I agreed and asked to send the manager over to the table so I could meet the person I'd be giving my card info to. No one ever came over and by the time our bill arrived, the internet service was back. It was not a good initial impression when arriving for a special occasion with a reservation. I think the management panicked under pressure and upset lots of patrons.Special Features:
- goodfoodgoodfoodDined on 10/17/2014A pleasant surprise for lunch. Dinner was much more hectic. It was relaxed, the food excellent and the survice very good.Special Features:
- Eclectic, fresh, and delicious!MichaelPDined on 10/15/2014After reading about The Root we ventured over in a 30 min drive, something we wouldn't normally do. We're thrilled that we did. Root ' decor is urban and stylish, despite its location in a strip mall. The staff is friendly, efficient, and our reservation promptly honored. Our food, down to all four of us was well prepared and excellent. Special mention must go to the shaved Brussel sprout salad and the red lentils and roasted cauliflower entree (mine with chicken). These were both packed with flavors, modern and delicious. We look forward to our next visit to The Root!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting menu a hit!MistiDined on 10/15/2014We planned to visit Chef Rigato on the premiere of Top chef! We had the tasting menu and a local pour (or two) from the exceptional craft beer list. The wine is nice but we are not giving them credit enough for the wide variety and vast breweries represented on the menu! I chose the scallop, the shaved Brussel sprout salad with Pom arils, the pork and apple entree, followed by the milk and honey desert. Such a beautiful presentation and the real honeycomb was both precious and delicious! We love this place but tonight, it seemed even more special in support of local celebrity chef.Special Features:
- First Time Brunch at the RootH2OSkierDined on 10/12/2014Although I am disappointed in the simple brunch menu, we did enjoy the pastrami hash and the lemon racotta pancakes and I would recommend these selections to a first time visitor. The other items on the menu you can find at any Denny's. The wish is for the Root to have their own identity with a better, creative selection for brunch. Service was excellent and we were able to hold a quiet conversation during brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & service but location?JewelsDined on 10/11/2014Delicious and creative dishes topped off with great decor and service. We weren't crazy about the location...small strip mall in the middle of nowhere. If your local it works. We would definitely go back if it had other lively spots for a nightcap nearby. Place was half empty at 9:30 pm on Saturday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!littlemacDined on 10/11/2014We loved our dinner at The Root! The food we ate was fabulous and I want to return and eat my way through the entire menu. It is a very relaxed and unpretentious atmosphere and the food has the same feeling; it is refined without being stuffy. We drove an hour to eat there and look forward to going again soon.Special Features:
- Noisy, no ambience.OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/10/2014Food was good, service was excellent, but unfortunately, like a lot of trendy restaurants, the managers equate noise with ambience. We couldn't have a normal conversation with our friends because of the noise. Twice we asked for the music to be turned down, but even then there was no noise dampening of other people's conversation. It would be a relief to to find a good restaurant where conversation is encouraged.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!Luv2EatOutDined on 10/9/2014This restaurant is a wonderful place to eat! Fantastic food and great service, excellent, excellent, excellent!!!!!!Special Features:
- Slow serviceArtLoverDined on 10/4/2014Burger was great, best Basil Mojito I've ever had but service this visit was painfully slow, a first for us. Music was so loud I thought I was in a sports bar, another first. I hope it's not a trend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better Than Anticipated - - Again!!BlownAwayAgainDined on 10/3/2014Food, Service, Friendliness - This is truly a Winner. Been there twice and brought people with us. Would be great to record all the comments and play them back in this review. Chef James is already the winning "Master Chef" in our book!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GREAT food!LuvgoodfoodDined on 10/3/2014If you are looking for a great, cutting edge restaurant, serving FABULOUS food, then look no further than "The Root" in White Lake. Chef James Rigato shows his incredible talent by incorporating Michigan into almost every facet of his fantastic menu! My wife and I can't get enough of this place! We suggest starting with anything from the inventive drink menu, followed by the ever changing Charcuterie Board appetizer. Any of the fish specials will leave you more than pleased, and the steaks, chicken or burgers will have you wondering why you will ever need to drive "south" again to get a good meal. Finish the evening with a Chocolate Martini to complete a great night out! Truly awesome dining at more than reasonable prices!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go back!MistyDined on 10/3/2014This will definitely be a regular spot for us. We had the charcuterie board, baked brie, soup du jour (roasted eggplant), my husband had the skate with pesto risotto and I had an entirely too delicious grass fed ribeye steak! All fantastic.... So many more things on the menu we want to try. Lots of talent here. Hope they stick around...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- noisy. food needed to be warmer.punch15Dined on 9/27/2014It took 3 hours for dinner. Party of 6 . Coffee was tepid.Special Features:
- deliciousilikefoodDined on 9/27/2014Root is a yummy little restaurant you would never expect to find tucked into a little strip mall! We loved each of our dishes, from appetizer to dessert...our server was nice, the restaurant was cool but not stuffy (in ambiance) and the food was unique and tasty! I'd definitely go again!Special Features:
- LoveEmclDined on 9/26/2014Best dinner I've had in a while. The service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interestingly DeliciousBillDined on 9/24/2014We went for the first time to celebrate my Mother's birthday with my three kids. The menu was not expansive but everything I tried was delicious. I had the shrimp and grits, which really popped with flavor. The drink menu was unusual and the one cocktail I had was sufficient. We saved room for dessert so I cannot comment on salads or apps. Desserts were also tasty. I would go back. I am a meat lover, but I would try their vegan tasting menu because I am interested in how they elevate the dishes without meat.Special Features:
- Will not go backOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014Was given the run around two or three tines when calling for res. Finally went and food wa average. Waited over one hour to get the food. Not OK
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/20/2014Had the tasting menu. Very good. Music was too loud. Difficult to carry on a conversation. Server opened wine, poured the first glass & never poured moreSpecial Features:
- The Root is a GemBeerPocketbookDined on 9/16/2014The Tasting menu with wine pairings was wonderful. They seemed to be a little understaffed, but we weren't in a hurry and our waitress was very knowledgeable about the food preparation and the wines. They have a Pumpkin Feast with beer pairings coming up in October that looks fabulous!Special Features:
- Great experience!maggianofanDined on 9/16/2014Celebrated our anniversary at The Root. The service was fantastic. Our waiter was incredibly knowledgeable and able to answer every question we had. The menu changes here often, and for the first time, we were disappointed with our options. However, once we settled on something, our opinions changed! The chef's at The Root are incredibly talented and creative. The presentation makes you feel like dinner is 'an experience'. The food itself was a delight and we will be back there in a couple of months, excited to see what's new on the menu!Special Features:
- Something For EveryonebabyslowsyDined on 9/13/2014I like to try new foods, my husband always orders the same type of steak meal at every restaurant. We were both very happy with our meals. For dessert get the Milk and Honey. Local in season foods served. Vegan options.Special Features:
- Fabulous!MaryVIPDined on 9/13/2014Had sloppy Joe with optional fried egg....yum. Friends had Mac and cheese, shrimp and grits and burger. All were raving. If you've not experience this restaurant, put it on your restaurant bucket list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy food!MRGGDined on 9/13/2014The food was awesome, the waiter we had was a little off... We have been there before with better service, so it must have just been a bad egg!Special Features:
- Good overall experienceExperienceDined on 9/13/2014I brought my wife to dinner here for our anniversary and opted to do the tasting with wine pairing. Everything was very good and well presented. The waiter was very accomodating and knowledgable. I would recommend this to somebody looking to experience something more than just a fine meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding, as usualluvprimeDined on 9/12/2014Once again, we had a wonderful evening at The Root. Our server Tim was excellent - very knowledgeable about all food choices and made some very good recommendations. We brought some friends who were first timers at The Root - they will definitely be back.Special Features:
- WonderfulsouthpawDined on 9/9/2014Great food . .. .service . . . .atmosphere . ... . .what a find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The ROOT let us down.Truth316Dined on 9/6/2014After hearing some very good reviews, we finally made the fairly long trek to The Root. Although I am never one to shutter at a higher price for a great meal, I thought the a' la carte was a joy kill. I went for the $40 4-course meal with the Salmon. Blah. The appetizer was fairly tasty, but had two of the smallest scallops for an appetizer that I've ever seen. Not enough to share a bite. The salad was the largest portion of the meal, filled with fresh goodies. However, only so-so on overall flavor. The intermezzo pallet cleanser was the best part of the meal. The Salmon was cook to perfection, but lacked flavor, was a very small portion and surrounded by a few bland veggies. The dessert - good. Too late to save the experience.
- WonderfulAmateurFoodieDined on 9/6/2014The Executive Chef has visited our granddaughter's school for the past couple of years now. We decided to take her to lunch at the Root. It was a quiet Saturday but we enjoyed it immensely. The Crispy Pork Belly appetizer that my wife ordered was 'heavenly'. It was memorable. Everyone enjoyed the meal. The food was absolutely wonderful and we will be going back at the first opportunity.Special Features:
- perfect anniversary dinnermarmotDined on 9/5/2014Everything at the Root was perfect. We went for an anniversary celebration, and it could not have been better. The food was outstanding, and our server was helpful with selections and very knowledgeable. We were so glad we went and will go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/5/2014Good is consistently excellent, however the service both times we have been there has been only so-so. While the only restaurant of its caliber within 20 miles from food and preparation standpoint, the servers and bartenders have been a bit abrupt or seem almost angry that you are there. A warm smile goes a long way. The critics are correct when it comes to the talents of the chef and the kitchen, but having dined at The Lark, Cafe Cortina, the French Laundry (in Fenton), a dining experience starts at the door and should be shared by all restaurant staff.Special Features:
- Tasty Food, Great ServicePeteVIPDined on 9/5/2014This was our second trip to The Root. Service was great as was the taste of the food. The Orchard Salad and Beet Salad were outstanding as was the house made gelato. My Shrimp and Grits was delicious and I liked the added spice of the jalapeno pepper. My wife, on the other hand, ordered the Sloppy Joe and was told that without the jalapeno, it would not be hot/spicy...for her, it was STILL very hot/spicy. The great taste was overwhelmed by the hot. I enjoy hot/spicy food and I thought it was a bit hot, but I enjoyed it. Caveat: if you are sensitive to hot/spicy food, order and eat with caution!Special Features:
- Phenomenal food, excellent service.OffthepostDined on 9/4/2014Enjoyed a laid back atmosphere. The food was great....service was even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't be the lastDPHIIIDined on 8/30/2014Without question, The Root is one of the five best restaurants my wife and I have ever enjoyed. Every dish we has was amazing, and the service was impeccable. It's simply a must.Special Features:
- Jim59Dined on 8/30/2014Food was very creative and excellent. Prices were somewhat expensive, but worth every penny (or rather dollar!). Service was more than good. However my wife was disappointed in the ambiance. For the price and quality of the food here she expected a more upscale ambiance. Decor was OK, but the menu range from sandwiches on up and the crowd it caters to seems a blend of nighborhood walk ins and foodies going to a destination place. While this seems like a good business arrangement for owners, it takes away from the experience.Special Features:
- Fantastic ServiceKyleDined on 8/30/2014Recently dined at The Root for an anniversary meal and the service and food were exceptional. Vegan tasting menu was absolutely perfect and we couldn't have asked for a better night out!Special Features:
- Excellent foodMIFoodieFanDined on 8/29/2014A great menu with something for everyone on it, including fried bologna! The cheese platter is a "must have" and the tasting menu is a steal - very affordable, even with the wine pairing. I had a 5 course menu and each course was really wonderful. Service overall was good, albeit a bit slow to start. It took probably 10 minutes for our first drink to arrive. It was a Friday night and a packed house. The star of this restaurant is definitely the food - affordably priced and well balanced.Special Features:
- The RootEugeneDined on 8/29/2014Fabulous dining experience! No wonder they were voted a Best Restaurant in their first year along with honors in Detroit's Hour magazine.cSpecial Features: