The Rookwood Bar & Restaurant
1077 Celestial St.
Cincinnati, OH 45202Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Rookwood Bar & Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://therookwood.com/
- Phone: 513-421-5555
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday thru Saturday 11am - 3pm
Dinner: Tuesday thru Thursday 5pm-10pm
Friday and Saturday 5pm-11pm
Sunday Brunch: 11am-3pm
Closed between 3pm-5pm Tuesday thru Sunday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Jackson Rouse
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Parliament Room is a private dining facility that can accommodate up to 50 people. We also offer The Nest - a loft-style space that overlooks the restaurant and holds up to twenty five people.
- Entertainment: Local musicians, DJ's and live acts. Call for more information
- Special Events: Check out our website for upcoming events.
A word from The Rookwood Bar & Restaurant
The Rookwood features a dynamic menu of unique dishes and hand-crafted cocktails that reconnect to the distinction and character of its historical location. Our restaurant is housed in the former studio and manufacturing facility of the world-renowned Rookwood Pottery Company and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.Continued
The restaurant’s classic approach to traditional handmade cuisine is defined by its focus on fresh, seasonal ingredients.
The restaurant’s classic approach to traditional handmade cuisine is defined by its focus on fresh, seasonal ingredients.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
The Rookwood Bar & Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Cincinnati ›
The Rookwood Bar & Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
96 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (55)scenic view (54)neighborhood gem (46)fit for foodies (42)good for groups (37)special occasion (33)great for lunch (29)romantic (28)great for brunch (17)late-night find (12)hot spot (11)vibrant bar scene (11)notable wine list (11)kid-friendly (6)Show More
- Annoying Service and WaitOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/29/2014We had reservations through open table, and were seated about 10 minutes after reservation time. However it took 1/2 hour or so for our server to acknowledge us (even after getting a busser's attention). He did apologize (several times that night), however it was still a long wait for the drinks and bread we ordered. The food was great, but the server messed up our order several times and then tried to charge us for some of the mistakes. If it weren't for the great quality food and atmosphere I would not recommend the Rookwood. Hopefully it was just an off night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014has always had great, interesting dishes. coffee could be a bit stronger, but, thats probably just me:-)Special Features:
- Great BuildingMuncherDined on 8/22/2014The interior of the building is very scenic great to see the history of it. Food is average, but they do have a great drink list. Good for a casual night out.Special Features:
- ***PammyDined on 8/22/2014As always...great food! It is a unique restaurant with great ambience and location!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice beginning of a fun afternoonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014My daughter wanted to go to the museum, and remembered we passed the restaurant once (when I was lost). She wanted to try it. We had a great time. The food was very good, the deck was great. Our server was top notch. It set the tone for a great afternoon outing. I would definitely do it again.Special Features:
- Excellent findChrisDined on 8/15/2014Very impressed with the location, service, and food/bar selection for this restaurant. Was told about this place by my girlfriend who had not been there yet; we went on a Friday night with reservations and got a table inside. Atmosphere inside was relaxed and casual. The menu was very impressive. My girlfriend has a food allergy and the staff was able to work with her to create her meal. Very friendly and very delicious. I had a bourbon concoction from the bar and the steak frites; both were excellent. After dinner we took a walk outside by the fire pit and talked for a while, then headed outside to check out the view of Cincinnati's lights. Overall a tremendous evening and we will be returning. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy food and delicious viewlovecincinnatiDined on 8/14/2014The food was delicious but rather pricey- $16 for a cheeseburger? The outdoor patio was great and had a nice view. Felt like a great casual dining spot but the prices would keep me from coming back too often.Special Features:
- Dinner in a KilnGoodEatsDined on 8/14/2014We reserved one of the kilns for my wife's birthday celebration (party of 9). The food was really good; the waiter was attentive and friendly. Our meal was the centerpiece of a lovely evening. In passing the patio, we saw that they had a brisk business for a Thursday night.Special Features:
- Amazing history & outstanding staffOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2014Brunch on a Sunday has never been better. The Rookwood facility and staff overwhelmed us at every turn. Incorporating the kilns into the decour and seating, and decorating to support the historic industrial atmosphere was a great choice. The menu appeared very foodie-centric and the 3 plates we tried did not disappoint! The combination of flavors was worth savoring every bite. The staff was helpful, pleasant, and very excited about serving such wonderful food in the amazing atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDined on 8/9/2014Overpriced. All three of us had hamburgers and fries and neither of us enjoyed our food. They did ask how we wanted our hamburgers cooked but they all came out well done. Hamburgers appeared to be almost steamed instead of grilled or at the very least nicely fried.Special Features:
- Relaxing lunch stopOwlgal61Dined on 8/7/2014We were visiting the art museum and conservatory and wanted to have a lunch that fit our day of culture. Eating in the old pottery studio fit the bill. The theme, old photos, kilns and ambience were perfect. I recommend eating inside. There wasn't much shade on the patio and the chairs and tables outside were uncomfortable. We asked to be moved back inside. The service was excellent. Our drinks and appetizer were served quickly. The bruschetta was a delicious mix of seasonal veggies and ricotta. The 1993 salad was our favorite. My friend had the chicken with hers and we both agreed it didn't have much flavor. We ordered the Dojo gelato sampler to share. I recommend it. All good flavors. Overall a great experience!Special Features:
- City gemJust1tryDined on 8/2/2014I recently brought an out of town guest to Rookwood for lunch. Our server was friendly and helpful. Our wait was a little long for a small lunch order, but our food was delicious. Salads were fresh and well prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- late sunday dinnerJtrooVIPDined on 7/27/2014Had a late Sunday dinner just before closing so it was pretty empty. They did seat us and got our order in before the kitchen closed. The drinks were good. I had a bourbon drink. The dressed hanky panky was pretty good. We got the basque style chicken. The chorizo was good but the chicken itself was pretty flavorless. The barnsdale burger sounded yummy but the it came out well-done instead of medium. The server was nice enough to take half off. Overall, might come back to try it again but not anytime soon.
- Unique BrunchCarolPmsVIPDined on 7/27/2014After our Segway tour was cancelled due to rain, the restaurant graciously found us a table, well in advance of our 2 pm reservation. The lemon ricotta pancakes were delicious -- fellow diner's liked the eggs benedict. But the server did not get the special butterscotch pancakes right -- they were actually chocolate brownie with butterscotch syrup. Anything that is not on the menu may not be made clear so be sure to check. Service was a bit slow but they seemed slammed at noon. Hope to return for dinner.Special Features:
- Awesome, personal experienceTinaVDined on 7/26/2014I dined at the rookwood with my boyfriend on a Saturday night. We are both foodies who enjoy sharing strange foods on small plates. We had a pickled medley, olives, thin pork with a date in the middle, cauliflower and butternut squash and a bread pudding dessert! This is exactly what we had but the service was very personal. Great dining experience !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014Our server had to be tracked down twice and then one of the orders was incorrect and her food came just as we were finishing ours.Special Features:
- Good, as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/25/2014We've been a few times now, and it's always good. The food is tasty and the menu is creative. Unfortunately, our appetizers and entrees all came at the same time. Not the biggest deal in the world, but takes away from the experience.Special Features:
- BetsyDined on 7/19/2014We had reservations on the 19th of July (Sat. night)Location of the restaurant was great with the view and food was good. Service was slow considering there wasn't many customers. The reason we would not patronize your restaurant again is the "unsanitary conditions". Original reservations were to be on the patio outside but the tables were dirty and needed to be sealed. Wood was raw with open cracks with debris in them. Inside, the carpeted areas were so dirty that our feet stuck to the carpet, we couldn't believe it. With that being said, if its dirty in the dining areas, what does the kitchen where the food is being prepared looks like.
- synergy of food and aestheticMike1Dined on 7/16/2014This restaurant has a wonderful artful ambience and the food reflects it perfectly. Now they have a deck and firepit area. Its really a unique experience capturing the essence of Mt. Adams and Rookwood's history. Over the years they have done this with very high quality and have maintained that standard! Kudos to everyone responsible for that, I continued to dine there year over year! Great choice adding the dojo gelato. One of my co-workers said that it was "the best icecream they have ever had".Special Features:
- Great view and foodccurranVIPDined on 7/6/2014A top Mt. Adams, good food, drink and a fun staff.Special Features:
- Great DatenatifoodieDined on 6/28/2014This was my second visit to Rookwood and both were very pleasant dining experiences. There were a few families at the restaurants, though Rookwood is a place I would probably choose to go with a date or a group of friends, not with children. My boyfriend and I each ordered a cocktail from and really enjoyed the presentation and flavors. We choose to order a few small plates to share, which was a great opportunity to try a handful of items on the menu. I would recommend the roasted eggplant as :)Special Features:
- Extremely uniqueoChicago21Dined on 6/28/2014I have been to the Rookwood twice now and continue to love it. It is a fairly eclectic menu, but very well done and delicious. I had the pasta of the day this time along with a small plate of roasted cauliflower and spaghetti squash- it was all amazing. Let's not forget the craft beers that they serve as well- a fairly notable list of them to boot. Service is stellar and the ambiance is just incredible. I recommend this place to anyone who hasn't been there and has been living in Cincinnati their whole lives as well as tourists and visitors alike!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New favorite burgerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014My girlfriend and I have decided that The Rookwood is our new favorite shared spot and the Boomer burger is my new favorite burger. Great dining and casual drinks experienceSpecial Features:
- Best Kept Secret in Mount AdamsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/21/2014We go out of our way to eat here periodically as it is such a cool place. We used to eat at The Rookwood all the time until we moved to Loveland and it's a bit of trek. The menu is incredible and innovative. For those foodies who like to try the most up to date food, with exciting combinations, this is the place to be. The two best places I have found for this type of food are Local 127 and The Rookwood. The atmosphere at this restaurant is so cool as well. Industrial chic with the old kilns decked out for dining inside. The servers are incredibly knowledgeable about the food and libations and handle the service perfectly. I never write reviews but I love this place and they deserve a shout out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The view is worth everything thingJodalahDined on 6/17/2014The building outside is nice. It will give you no clue as to the decor when you walk in. It's a great place. Rockwood Pottery used this building. The inside is filled with unusual structures of brick and dark wood. There is a large patio outside with the view of city. The dress is casual. Literally. Shorts to casual dress would work. The evolving bruchetta is delicious. They were very accommodating. My daughter is a vegetarian and I try to be. Asking them to change up their dish was no problem. We both had their veggie burgers our own way. It was great. Huge. Their truffle fries with parm cheese are to die for. The staff was pleasant happy and willing to help. Just don't miss the view from the parking lot. Spectacular. Take lots of picsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pkk4ukDined on 6/14/2014A limited menu in more ways than one. After being seated we had to wait for menus to be freed up because they were out. There was not a lot of choices on the menu. Priced way too high for the amount / quality of the four dishes we ordered. Pasta of the day was inedible. Service was ok. Noise level was high but atmosphere was great.
- Night at the Rookwood.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/14/2014Great food. Quality service. Lovely vibe. A good evening out and worth the trip for anyone hoping for a nice meal and engaging service. Everything on the table delivered and with multiple trips to this establishment, yet to have a single sour note. Will be back again as often as I can.Special Features:
- Accommodating!ktiernanDined on 6/13/2014We came with 2- 9 year olds, one with special needs. Service was friendly, helpful and they anticipated our needs. Generous pour for the red wine. Enjoyed the homemade tonic for my vodka tonic. Vegan options available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014We were told there was seating available outside. We were taken to a table that was shared by another group of people. It took 20 Minutes to get our drinks and after 45 minutes, we decided to leave as the waitress did not return to take our orders. In general, the outside area did not seem very busy so not sure why the service was so terrible. Would not recommend this restaurant to others.Special Features:
- Bill SFantasticDined on 6/7/2014The new Rookwood Pottery restaurant is wonderful...great service, excellent food and beer list along with cocktails. This place is fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cintifoodieDined on 5/28/2014Small plates were inspired and tasty. Would like to try many more items on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday DinnerPaulSDined on 5/16/2014We arrived early and were seated immediately. Interesting menu, including small plates. Service was good, but the place was FREEZING!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kateDined on 5/11/2014Good food very bad service. We drove over an hour away to eat a nice mothers day lunch. The waiter was not very ffriendly. It would of been nice for him to say hi have you ever dined with us before, describe the restaurant and foods. I asked him what's good he responded everything. You always want to upsale. Not good service at all.Special Features:
- fun menu and attentive managerDateNightDined on 5/8/2014Interesting menu - the hard boiled egg appetizer was a treat. My wife did find were meat tough - the bus boy noticed she had not eaten and said something to the manager who gracefully handled the situation. Also very convenient to museum and playhouse in the park. We would go back.Special Features:
- WinniethedoodDined on 5/7/2014Beautiful restaurant with beautiful ambience. The food was awesome and the the service was excellent. Everyone was very friendly to both my date and I. I definitely see myself coming back during the summer at some point. I'm really looking forward to trying other dishes on the menu and showing off the place to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but a bit pretentiousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/6/2014Rookwood was fine food, but you seem to be paying for the trendiness. Overall, it is fine for special night or two but not a must do. It does have a fun ambiance with the old kilns, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downhill since new ownershipCinciLoveDined on 5/6/2014I've been going to the Rookwood for many years and have always had a wonderful experience. Now I've been two or three times since new ownership and I am very disappointed in the food. I used to consider the burgers, the best in town. Now they are very boring and tasteless. The fries used to be amazing and now they are very sub par too. I'm not sure I will recommend the Rookwood anymore to friends and family. The only thing it has going for it is the ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never again - tourist trapADVChicDined on 5/4/2014Music was ridiculously loud, more appropriate for late night drinking, certainly not Sunday brunch. Our waiter was nice, but we waited nearly ten minutes for drinks. Food came out fairly quickly, but Donut French Toast was cold. Flavors were good, but the donuts had only briefly been in the batter so they were hard and dry. My husband’s Double By-Pass was hot and tasty. Waiter checked back mid-meal, my husband ordered a beer which did not arrive for 15 mins. I ordered coffee which was expensive and stone cold. Restrooms were disgusting which did not surprise me after our dining experience. The hall that lead to both the men’s and women's room smelled as if it is regularly used as a relief room, the smell of urine was overwhelming.
- Another wonderful eveningkris10Dined on 5/3/2014We celebrated our wedding anniversary last Saturday night. As we sat at the bar waiting for our reservation (we showed up early), we discovered the couple next to us were celebrating theirs as well! The Rookwood is the perfect place for a romantic dinner, gorgeous views and friendly staff eager to help make your dining experience a success. We can't wait to enjoy the outdoor seating this summer! KristinSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingmuskiestudentDined on 5/3/2014It has an amazing atmosphere and the service was terrific! We had no problems with anything, the server was very personable! The only reason it was not perfect was because the soup was bland, but the rest of the food was delicious!Special Features:
- The following 694 reviews are from the The Rookwood Bar & Restaurant reviews archive.