The Rookwood Bar & Restaurant
1077 Celestial St.
Cincinnati, OH 45202Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Rookwood Bar & Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://therookwood.com/
- Phone: (513) 421-5555
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday thru Saturday 11am - 3pm
Dinner: Tuesday thru Thursday 5pm-10pm
Friday and Saturday 5pm-11pm
Sunday Brunch: 11am-3pm
Closed between 3pm-5pm Tuesday thru Sunday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Jackson Rouse
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Parliament Room is a private dining facility that can accommodate up to 50 people. We also offer The Nest - a loft-style space that overlooks the restaurant and holds up to twenty five people.
- Entertainment: Local musicians, DJ's and live acts. Call for more information
- Special Events: Check out our website for upcoming events.
A word from The Rookwood Bar & Restaurant
The Rookwood features a dynamic menu of unique dishes and hand-crafted cocktails that reconnect to the distinction and character of its historical location. Our restaurant is housed in the former studio and manufacturing facility of the world-renowned Rookwood Pottery Company and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.Continued
The restaurant’s classic approach to traditional handmade cuisine is defined by its focus on fresh, seasonal ingredients.
The restaurant’s classic approach to traditional handmade cuisine is defined by its focus on fresh, seasonal ingredients.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
The Rookwood Bar & Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Cincinnati ›
The Rookwood Bar & Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
103 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (52)scenic view (51)fit for foodies (49)neighborhood gem (48)great for outdoor dining (47)special occasion (38)romantic (29)great for lunch (26)vibrant bar scene (24)hot spot (17)great for brunch (17)notable wine list (14)late-night find (11)kid-friendly (10)Show More
- Seasonal SpecialtiesCVGJetGuyVIPDined on 11/21/2014A new twist on the Rookwood is here. The menu and specials feature seasonal ingredients, sometimes in unexpected but creative combinations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Lunch Crowd"LunchLadyTwoDined on 11/18/2014My sister, visiting from CA, and I had lunch at 2:30 pm. The menu was great, the squash soup was excellent. Our waiter was interesting and friendly. Also, did I mention, we were the only customers there?! So, thanks for the reservation, but it wasn't really necessary for this time of day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool place, decent foodjnTracksDined on 11/14/2014The look and feel of the place is really great, service was good, generally we liked everything a lot. Our group ordered various things from around the menu, the burgers were excellent, salmon burger too. The poutine was just tater tots with almost nothing on them; that was disappointing. Very, very good, overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JmanDined on 11/14/2014I took my parents and two kids to The Rookwood for an early dinner, 5pm. We sat in a kiln, which is great to isolate my noisy son from the rest of the patrons and staff. The staff was very accomodating and the service was great. The food is always phenomenal here and the beer selection is solid!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something DifferentemptynestersDined on 11/8/2014My husband and I ate dinner at The Rookwood before seeing a show at the Playhouse. The last time we tried eating there, we had to sit at the bar because it was full. That was nice, but we wanted to sit at a table, so I made reservations over a week prior to the date for this occasion. We were seated immediately at a cozy table. Our waitress was very attentive, but a little soft-spoken. We tried the Hanky-Pankys for an appetizer and they were very good. Different from what I was used to growing up in Cincinnati. For dinner, we ate off of the seasonal menu. We tried the small plate of the fancy Truffled tots. We also split the seasonal Fall pasta dish. Both were very good and we enjoyed them very much.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/2/2014Server was not the most courteous. Room was also a little loud Also, given that I asked for seating accomodations that would be enjoyable to out-of-town guests in my online reservation, it would have been nice to have a table by the window. Otherwise, it was a good dining experience, and I would return. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Experience Rookwood!MamaEatsDined on 11/1/2014A really excellent choice for our group of 3! The historical background of the beautiful property is well presented. So cool with the old kilns right there. The bar staff was friendly & the appetizers we tried were perfect openers. Our table looked out on a night view of the city, very nice! We ordered a variety of the small plates and shared--I would go back in a heartbeat! Great food and service.Special Features:
- Enjoyable, but.....OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014Our service and most notably our server was excellent. He was knowledgeable about the beer and wine selections and provided us with good recommendations. Our dinner was just ok, it was good, not anything memorable. The restaurant is tired looking, it definitely needs an interior update, it is very dreary and worn looking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PHENOMENALNicolynDined on 11/1/2014This restaurant never disappoints me! And, as it was my birthday, I got a free gelato sampler! I'm lactose intolerant, so my friends had to eat it. So I would say it would be nice if I was allowed to choose a dessert, but it's the thought that counts. I love the seasonal changes to the menu and this time I had a cocktail (the tailored misfit) instead of wine and it was awesome!Special Features:
- Awesome Food and AtmospherekatjanduDined on 10/26/2014I was so thankful that our last minute online reservations were confirmed so quickly. The food was delicious, service was great. There was a little mix up with the meals served; not a problem for us. I do hope the person or persons who ordered the meals were given a deduction for having to wait longer. We were meeting family that we haven't seen in years, the time was great. I do wish that your website was more up-to-date with the Brunch Menu and there would have been a statement stating kiln reservations are for parties of 6 or more. I did so want our family to experience it. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Party or 8 "4" brunchCancookDined on 10/26/2014Great place due to interesting nature of building and great views over the city. Friendly greeter, wait staff relaxed. Have been here several times and found that food quality can range from Ok to very good. New "seasonal menu" alongside regular brunch menu. Our water (presented in a Bourbon bottle) had to be changed due to "floating things". A member of the party who ordered steak had to ask for a steak knife (the meat was tough). Others in the group were pleased with their meals, best looking dish was the quiche, enjoyed by two people in the group. We were seated in a private area (old kiln) on a round table - excellent for conversation. We were not rushed or made to feel that it was time for us to leave after we had finished eating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- serviceclcooley83Dined on 10/24/2014We waited 30 minutes for a waitress to visit our table, and that was after I complained to the hostess. Most of our meal was free, but we were still disappointed that our anniversary dinner wasn't what we expected.Special Features:
- Average lunchOhioDinerDined on 10/17/2014My wife and I stopped by for lunch and weren't overly impressed. The menu had some great sounding items, but both of our sandwiches were under-seasoned. The atmosphere is great and the outdoor seating is nice, but the food left us wanting more.Special Features:
- A Mt. Adams Gem!dawnmVIPDined on 10/14/2014Located in Mt. Adams, the skyline view is beautiful and parking is plentiful. The decor allows the historic kilns to take center stage. The staff were attentive and knowledgable, without being overbearing. We had the daily bruschetta, which was light and made with Sixteen Bricks Artisan bread. For dinner, we had Roasted Cauliflower and Spaghetti Squash paired with the daily mussels - a recommendation from the server that was unexpectedly delicious, and the Barnsdale Burger with truffle fries (exquisite!). We finished the meal with a selection of gelati, which included the "fat Elvis" (peanut butter, banana and bacon flavored). We look forward to reprising our visit very soon in order to share check out one of the private dining areas.Special Features:
- Usually better than thisB2theCDined on 10/5/2014I've eaten here before and always enjoyed it, but I've always eaten in the dining area before. This night, however, we were seated in one of the kiln rooms. Even though the atmosphere was cool, it was frustrating because we couldn't get anyone's attention when we needed something since we were isolated from the rest of the restaurant. As a result, our service was terribly slow and we ended up not getting some condiments and other little things you can usually request when you see your server nearby. I would still recommend Rookwood - they have great food and a lovely atmosphere - but I would suggest staying in the dining area and not a private room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't Wait So Long to Go BackCincySueVIPDined on 10/4/2014We hadn't been to the Rookwood for quite a long time--with so many new restaurants to try in town, but going back to the Rookwood was like putting on a pair of comfortable shoes--except that the shoes are a little newer and more fashionable than you remembered! Nicely updated menu with some especially intriguing salads. Whether you're looking for interesting appetizers, salads you don't find everywhere, a great burger (you KNOW you want to upgrade to the truffle fries!), small plates or entrees, there is something for everyone, all served up in an environment that isn't stodgy, but isn't so noisy that you have to shout across the table to your dinner companions. Really nice outdoor patio to enjoy during the warmer weather too.Special Features:
- Perfect evening...OpheliaVIPDined on 10/2/2014... on the terrace overlooking the city. Love the "small plates". Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place for lunchMendyVIPDined on 10/1/2014We went here for lunch and sat on their huge patio. We had the pickled veggies, cup of the chicken leek soup, grilled cheese of the day which had her chicken goat and pimento cheese with hommade chips. My boyfriend had homemade pastrami. The bread was homemade and amazing. If I am in the area I will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beatuiful NightRafeDined on 9/27/2014We had tapas style dining, with the speck wrapped dates in blue cheese sauce, updated hankey panks, roasted chix thighs and duck fat potatoes. All were delicious. Our son had a kids plate with turkey, ham, cheese, apple slices, toasted bread and bacon jam- to make your own sandwiches. He really enjoyed it, and loved his key lime pie for dessert. We got seated outside on the roof terrace; perfect nite for stargazing and views outstanding to the south. Service up there was a little "out of sight, out of mind", but an enjoyable nite none the less.Special Features:
- FoodieDined on 9/27/2014excellent evening at Rookwood---very good waiter, tasty food---great salad. Service was quick and correct--we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rude HostessFoodieforlifeVIPDined on 9/27/2014Since we have Playhouse in the Park tickets, we have dined at the restaurant many times. I requested on my opentable reservation and again with a phone call 2 weeks in advance to be seated outside. It was a beautiful day, therefore asked when we arrived if we were being seated outside. We were told by the hostess in an extremely rude tone that "Of Course you're not going to be seated outside!" She proceeded to dismiss us and sent us to a table in a back corner. There was no one in the restaurant, all were outside. During the course of the dinner, there were 2 more parties seated inside who quickly were moved outside. The menu is much smaller with the bacon appetizer no longer on it. Nicholas Heckmann needs to return! We will not return!
- Great rustic restaurant for foodies513YPExplorerDined on 9/19/2014I highly recommend this restaurant for all of the above: the service, the food, the ambiance. If you make a reservation, you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RichardCranialDined on 9/19/2014Great food, drinks, ambiance, scenery, service, and music...however, the music can get too loud during brunch, lunch and dinner making it difficult for conversation.Special Features:
- First timers4SaturdayNightDinersVIPDined on 9/17/2014Food choices are very varied....Rosie's Hamburger and Pastrami dishes were great. Food could have been hotter but was very good.Special Features:
- Just okayNotFromHereDined on 9/16/2014I was disappointed that the main dining area was located so far away from a view of the historic kilns. Also, the service, from the hostess to the waiter, was very lackluster. The staff moved at an unusually slow pace and didn't seem very invested in their guests.Special Features:
- Was excited then disappointedYumRoseDined on 9/14/2014My husband and I went there two nights after we got married. I was so excited to take him there after having eaten there a couple of years ago and loving it. The service was terrible, everyone looked grumpy and the food was cold. I'm so disappointed that I misjudged and wasted our time at the Rookwood. We will not be going back.
- A fun placeccurranVIPDined on 9/14/2014We love the good food and wonderful cocktails. Chef Jackson does wonders with all things pork!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointingDandMDined on 9/13/2014Though I appreciate the unique menu items, my dining partners during this most recent visit are more traditional in their tastes. We were all able to find something delicious that we enjoyed. Our service was fantastic as usual. The restaurant staff were welcoming and accommodating to my 3-year old. However, I get the sense that the average Rookwood diner does not appreciate having small children nearby. Therefore, it may be best to to leave the littler ones at home.Special Features:
- Fantastic!AshKileyDined on 9/12/2014Husband and I went to The Rookwood for our anniversary. Service was great, very personable. Food was fantastic! Loved the atmosphere.Special Features:
- Terrific Building in Need of a ChefWontBeBackDined on 9/7/2014If you happen to be on Mt Adams already, this is an interesting building and would be a fine place to have a drink. Whatever you do, don't try to understand the menu selections or order any of the overpriced, terrible tasting food.
- Delicious foodMadFlavoristVIPDined on 9/6/2014Great artisan food selection, made with fresh and seasonal ingredients. Wish they had a larger menu though! Service has a bit to be desired, as utensils weren't on the table, and we had to ask two different servers for napkins and silverware to get them. But other than that, no terrible complaints. Drinks were delicious. We ordered 3 "small plates" and it was more than enough to feed the two of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quick stop for food before a gameRichvelDined on 9/5/2014Went here before a Friday night ball game craving a burger. Wife and I each got a burger and drank water. I got a side salad instead of fries. Surprised that my bill was $38. Upchurch for replacing fries w salad. The burger was very so so. Meat was tasteless but bun was great. Will stick to zips for value and taste next time.Special Features:
- DisappointingspinchicDined on 8/31/2014First time dining experience and the last. Our table was dirty and sticky when we sat down, service was bad, and the food was too salty. We went on a Sunday for brunch, which was the Sunday for the Labor Day fireworks and the restaurant was having a party that night which they were setting up for so you could tell that the staff was more interested in getting ready for the event instead of taking care of the dining customers. They were in no hurry to take our orders for our food, but when it came time to push us out the door for them to close early for their "party", they didn't waste any time.Special Features:
- Annoying Service and WaitOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/29/2014We had reservations through open table, and were seated about 10 minutes after reservation time. However it took 1/2 hour or so for our server to acknowledge us (even after getting a busser's attention). He did apologize (several times that night), however it was still a long wait for the drinks and bread we ordered. The food was great, but the server messed up our order several times and then tried to charge us for some of the mistakes. If it weren't for the great quality food and atmosphere I would not recommend the Rookwood. Hopefully it was just an off night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014has always had great, interesting dishes. coffee could be a bit stronger, but, thats probably just me:-)Special Features:
- Great BuildingMuncherDined on 8/22/2014The interior of the building is very scenic great to see the history of it. Food is average, but they do have a great drink list. Good for a casual night out.Special Features:
- ***PammyDined on 8/22/2014As always...great food! It is a unique restaurant with great ambience and location!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice beginning of a fun afternoonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014My daughter wanted to go to the museum, and remembered we passed the restaurant once (when I was lost). She wanted to try it. We had a great time. The food was very good, the deck was great. Our server was top notch. It set the tone for a great afternoon outing. I would definitely do it again.Special Features:
- Excellent findChrisDined on 8/15/2014Very impressed with the location, service, and food/bar selection for this restaurant. Was told about this place by my girlfriend who had not been there yet; we went on a Friday night with reservations and got a table inside. Atmosphere inside was relaxed and casual. The menu was very impressive. My girlfriend has a food allergy and the staff was able to work with her to create her meal. Very friendly and very delicious. I had a bourbon concoction from the bar and the steak frites; both were excellent. After dinner we took a walk outside by the fire pit and talked for a while, then headed outside to check out the view of Cincinnati's lights. Overall a tremendous evening and we will be returning. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy food and delicious viewlovecincinnatiDined on 8/14/2014The food was delicious but rather pricey- $16 for a cheeseburger? The outdoor patio was great and had a nice view. Felt like a great casual dining spot but the prices would keep me from coming back too often.Special Features: