The Rookwood Bar & Restaurant
1077 Celestial St.
Cincinnati, OH 45202Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Rookwood Bar & Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://therookwood.com/
- Phone: 513-421-5555
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday thru Saturday 11am - 3pm
Dinner: Tuesday thru Thursday 5pm-10pm
Friday and Saturday 5pm-11pm
Sunday Brunch: 11am-3pm
Closed between 3pm-5pm Tuesday thru Sunday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Jackson Rouse
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Parliament Room is a private dining facility that can accommodate up to 50 people. We also offer The Nest - a loft-style space that overlooks the restaurant and holds up to twenty five people.
- Entertainment: Local musicians, DJ's and live acts. Call for more information
- Special Events: Check out our website for upcoming events.
A word from The Rookwood Bar & Restaurant
The Rookwood features a dynamic menu of unique dishes and hand-crafted cocktails that reconnect to the distinction and character of its historical location. Our restaurant is housed in the former studio and manufacturing facility of the world-renowned Rookwood Pottery Company and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.Continued
The restaurant’s classic approach to traditional handmade cuisine is defined by its focus on fresh, seasonal ingredients.
The restaurant’s classic approach to traditional handmade cuisine is defined by its focus on fresh, seasonal ingredients.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
The Rookwood Bar & Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Cincinnati ›
The Rookwood Bar & Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
96 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (50)great for outdoor dining (48)good for groups (46)neighborhood gem (44)fit for foodies (42)special occasion (33)romantic (30)great for lunch (25)vibrant bar scene (18)great for brunch (16)hot spot (15)notable wine list (14)late-night find (13)kid-friendly (8)Show More
- Average lunchOhioDinerDined on 10/17/2014My wife and I stopped by for lunch and weren't overly impressed. The menu had some great sounding items, but both of our sandwiches were under-seasoned. The atmosphere is great and the outdoor seating is nice, but the food left us wanting more.Special Features:
- A Mt. Adams Gem!dawnmVIPDined on 10/14/2014Located in Mt. Adams, the skyline view is beautiful and parking is plentiful. The decor allows the historic kilns to take center stage. The staff were attentive and knowledgable, without being overbearing. We had the daily bruschetta, which was light and made with Sixteen Bricks Artisan bread. For dinner, we had Roasted Cauliflower and Spaghetti Squash paired with the daily mussels - a recommendation from the server that was unexpectedly delicious, and the Barnsdale Burger with truffle fries (exquisite!). We finished the meal with a selection of gelati, which included the "fat Elvis" (peanut butter, banana and bacon flavored). We look forward to reprising our visit very soon in order to share check out one of the private dining areas.Special Features:
- Usually better than thisB2theCDined on 10/5/2014I've eaten here before and always enjoyed it, but I've always eaten in the dining area before. This night, however, we were seated in one of the kiln rooms. Even though the atmosphere was cool, it was frustrating because we couldn't get anyone's attention when we needed something since we were isolated from the rest of the restaurant. As a result, our service was terribly slow and we ended up not getting some condiments and other little things you can usually request when you see your server nearby. I would still recommend Rookwood - they have great food and a lovely atmosphere - but I would suggest staying in the dining area and not a private room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't Wait So Long to Go BackCincySueVIPDined on 10/4/2014We hadn't been to the Rookwood for quite a long time--with so many new restaurants to try in town, but going back to the Rookwood was like putting on a pair of comfortable shoes--except that the shoes are a little newer and more fashionable than you remembered! Nicely updated menu with some especially intriguing salads. Whether you're looking for interesting appetizers, salads you don't find everywhere, a great burger (you KNOW you want to upgrade to the truffle fries!), small plates or entrees, there is something for everyone, all served up in an environment that isn't stodgy, but isn't so noisy that you have to shout across the table to your dinner companions. Really nice outdoor patio to enjoy during the warmer weather too.Special Features:
- Perfect evening...OpheliaVIPDined on 10/2/2014... on the terrace overlooking the city. Love the "small plates". Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place for lunchMendyVIPDined on 10/1/2014We went here for lunch and sat on their huge patio. We had the pickled veggies, cup of the chicken leek soup, grilled cheese of the day which had her chicken goat and pimento cheese with hommade chips. My boyfriend had homemade pastrami. The bread was homemade and amazing. If I am in the area I will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beatuiful NightRafeDined on 9/27/2014We had tapas style dining, with the speck wrapped dates in blue cheese sauce, updated hankey panks, roasted chix thighs and duck fat potatoes. All were delicious. Our son had a kids plate with turkey, ham, cheese, apple slices, toasted bread and bacon jam- to make your own sandwiches. He really enjoyed it, and loved his key lime pie for dessert. We got seated outside on the roof terrace; perfect nite for stargazing and views outstanding to the south. Service up there was a little "out of sight, out of mind", but an enjoyable nite none the less.Special Features:
- FoodieDined on 9/27/2014excellent evening at Rookwood---very good waiter, tasty food---great salad. Service was quick and correct--we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rude HostessFoodieforlifeVIPDined on 9/27/2014Since we have Playhouse in the Park tickets, we have dined at the restaurant many times. I requested on my opentable reservation and again with a phone call 2 weeks in advance to be seated outside. It was a beautiful day, therefore asked when we arrived if we were being seated outside. We were told by the hostess in an extremely rude tone that "Of Course you're not going to be seated outside!" She proceeded to dismiss us and sent us to a table in a back corner. There was no one in the restaurant, all were outside. During the course of the dinner, there were 2 more parties seated inside who quickly were moved outside. The menu is much smaller with the bacon appetizer no longer on it. Nicholas Heckmann needs to return! We will not return!
- Great rustic restaurant for foodies513YPExplorerDined on 9/19/2014I highly recommend this restaurant for all of the above: the service, the food, the ambiance. If you make a reservation, you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RichardCranialDined on 9/19/2014Great food, drinks, ambiance, scenery, service, and music...however, the music can get too loud during brunch, lunch and dinner making it difficult for conversation.Special Features:
- First timers4SaturdayNightDinersVIPDined on 9/17/2014Food choices are very varied....Rosie's Hamburger and Pastrami dishes were great. Food could have been hotter but was very good.Special Features:
- Just okayNotFromHereDined on 9/16/2014I was disappointed that the main dining area was located so far away from a view of the historic kilns. Also, the service, from the hostess to the waiter, was very lackluster. The staff moved at an unusually slow pace and didn't seem very invested in their guests.Special Features:
- Was excited then disappointedYumRoseDined on 9/14/2014My husband and I went there two nights after we got married. I was so excited to take him there after having eaten there a couple of years ago and loving it. The service was terrible, everyone looked grumpy and the food was cold. I'm so disappointed that I misjudged and wasted our time at the Rookwood. We will not be going back.
- A fun placeccurranVIPDined on 9/14/2014We love the good food and wonderful cocktails. Chef Jackson does wonders with all things pork!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointingDandMDined on 9/13/2014Though I appreciate the unique menu items, my dining partners during this most recent visit are more traditional in their tastes. We were all able to find something delicious that we enjoyed. Our service was fantastic as usual. The restaurant staff were welcoming and accommodating to my 3-year old. However, I get the sense that the average Rookwood diner does not appreciate having small children nearby. Therefore, it may be best to to leave the littler ones at home.Special Features:
- Fantastic!AshKileyDined on 9/12/2014Husband and I went to The Rookwood for our anniversary. Service was great, very personable. Food was fantastic! Loved the atmosphere.Special Features:
- Terrific Building in Need of a ChefWontBeBackDined on 9/7/2014If you happen to be on Mt Adams already, this is an interesting building and would be a fine place to have a drink. Whatever you do, don't try to understand the menu selections or order any of the overpriced, terrible tasting food.
- Delicious foodMadFlavoristVIPDined on 9/6/2014Great artisan food selection, made with fresh and seasonal ingredients. Wish they had a larger menu though! Service has a bit to be desired, as utensils weren't on the table, and we had to ask two different servers for napkins and silverware to get them. But other than that, no terrible complaints. Drinks were delicious. We ordered 3 "small plates" and it was more than enough to feed the two of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quick stop for food before a gameRichvelDined on 9/5/2014Went here before a Friday night ball game craving a burger. Wife and I each got a burger and drank water. I got a side salad instead of fries. Surprised that my bill was $38. Upchurch for replacing fries w salad. The burger was very so so. Meat was tasteless but bun was great. Will stick to zips for value and taste next time.Special Features:
- DisappointingspinchicDined on 8/31/2014First time dining experience and the last. Our table was dirty and sticky when we sat down, service was bad, and the food was too salty. We went on a Sunday for brunch, which was the Sunday for the Labor Day fireworks and the restaurant was having a party that night which they were setting up for so you could tell that the staff was more interested in getting ready for the event instead of taking care of the dining customers. They were in no hurry to take our orders for our food, but when it came time to push us out the door for them to close early for their "party", they didn't waste any time.Special Features:
- Annoying Service and WaitOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/29/2014We had reservations through open table, and were seated about 10 minutes after reservation time. However it took 1/2 hour or so for our server to acknowledge us (even after getting a busser's attention). He did apologize (several times that night), however it was still a long wait for the drinks and bread we ordered. The food was great, but the server messed up our order several times and then tried to charge us for some of the mistakes. If it weren't for the great quality food and atmosphere I would not recommend the Rookwood. Hopefully it was just an off night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014has always had great, interesting dishes. coffee could be a bit stronger, but, thats probably just me:-)Special Features:
- Great BuildingMuncherDined on 8/22/2014The interior of the building is very scenic great to see the history of it. Food is average, but they do have a great drink list. Good for a casual night out.Special Features:
- ***PammyDined on 8/22/2014As always...great food! It is a unique restaurant with great ambience and location!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice beginning of a fun afternoonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014My daughter wanted to go to the museum, and remembered we passed the restaurant once (when I was lost). She wanted to try it. We had a great time. The food was very good, the deck was great. Our server was top notch. It set the tone for a great afternoon outing. I would definitely do it again.Special Features:
- Excellent findChrisDined on 8/15/2014Very impressed with the location, service, and food/bar selection for this restaurant. Was told about this place by my girlfriend who had not been there yet; we went on a Friday night with reservations and got a table inside. Atmosphere inside was relaxed and casual. The menu was very impressive. My girlfriend has a food allergy and the staff was able to work with her to create her meal. Very friendly and very delicious. I had a bourbon concoction from the bar and the steak frites; both were excellent. After dinner we took a walk outside by the fire pit and talked for a while, then headed outside to check out the view of Cincinnati's lights. Overall a tremendous evening and we will be returning. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy food and delicious viewlovecincinnatiDined on 8/14/2014The food was delicious but rather pricey- $16 for a cheeseburger? The outdoor patio was great and had a nice view. Felt like a great casual dining spot but the prices would keep me from coming back too often.Special Features:
- Dinner in a KilnGoodEatsDined on 8/14/2014We reserved one of the kilns for my wife's birthday celebration (party of 9). The food was really good; the waiter was attentive and friendly. Our meal was the centerpiece of a lovely evening. In passing the patio, we saw that they had a brisk business for a Thursday night.Special Features:
- Amazing history & outstanding staffOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2014Brunch on a Sunday has never been better. The Rookwood facility and staff overwhelmed us at every turn. Incorporating the kilns into the decour and seating, and decorating to support the historic industrial atmosphere was a great choice. The menu appeared very foodie-centric and the 3 plates we tried did not disappoint! The combination of flavors was worth savoring every bite. The staff was helpful, pleasant, and very excited about serving such wonderful food in the amazing atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDined on 8/9/2014Overpriced. All three of us had hamburgers and fries and neither of us enjoyed our food. They did ask how we wanted our hamburgers cooked but they all came out well done. Hamburgers appeared to be almost steamed instead of grilled or at the very least nicely fried.Special Features:
- Relaxing lunch stopOwlgal61Dined on 8/7/2014We were visiting the art museum and conservatory and wanted to have a lunch that fit our day of culture. Eating in the old pottery studio fit the bill. The theme, old photos, kilns and ambience were perfect. I recommend eating inside. There wasn't much shade on the patio and the chairs and tables outside were uncomfortable. We asked to be moved back inside. The service was excellent. Our drinks and appetizer were served quickly. The bruschetta was a delicious mix of seasonal veggies and ricotta. The 1993 salad was our favorite. My friend had the chicken with hers and we both agreed it didn't have much flavor. We ordered the Dojo gelato sampler to share. I recommend it. All good flavors. Overall a great experience!Special Features:
- City gemJust1tryDined on 8/2/2014I recently brought an out of town guest to Rookwood for lunch. Our server was friendly and helpful. Our wait was a little long for a small lunch order, but our food was delicious. Salads were fresh and well prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- late sunday dinnerJtrooVIPDined on 7/27/2014Had a late Sunday dinner just before closing so it was pretty empty. They did seat us and got our order in before the kitchen closed. The drinks were good. I had a bourbon drink. The dressed hanky panky was pretty good. We got the basque style chicken. The chorizo was good but the chicken itself was pretty flavorless. The barnsdale burger sounded yummy but the it came out well-done instead of medium. The server was nice enough to take half off. Overall, might come back to try it again but not anytime soon.
- Unique BrunchCarolPmsVIPDined on 7/27/2014After our Segway tour was cancelled due to rain, the restaurant graciously found us a table, well in advance of our 2 pm reservation. The lemon ricotta pancakes were delicious -- fellow diner's liked the eggs benedict. But the server did not get the special butterscotch pancakes right -- they were actually chocolate brownie with butterscotch syrup. Anything that is not on the menu may not be made clear so be sure to check. Service was a bit slow but they seemed slammed at noon. Hope to return for dinner.Special Features:
- Awesome, personal experienceTinaVDined on 7/26/2014I dined at the rookwood with my boyfriend on a Saturday night. We are both foodies who enjoy sharing strange foods on small plates. We had a pickled medley, olives, thin pork with a date in the middle, cauliflower and butternut squash and a bread pudding dessert! This is exactly what we had but the service was very personal. Great dining experience !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014Our server had to be tracked down twice and then one of the orders was incorrect and her food came just as we were finishing ours.Special Features:
- Good, as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/25/2014We've been a few times now, and it's always good. The food is tasty and the menu is creative. Unfortunately, our appetizers and entrees all came at the same time. Not the biggest deal in the world, but takes away from the experience.Special Features:
- BetsyDined on 7/19/2014We had reservations on the 19th of July (Sat. night)Location of the restaurant was great with the view and food was good. Service was slow considering there wasn't many customers. The reason we would not patronize your restaurant again is the "unsanitary conditions". Original reservations were to be on the patio outside but the tables were dirty and needed to be sealed. Wood was raw with open cracks with debris in them. Inside, the carpeted areas were so dirty that our feet stuck to the carpet, we couldn't believe it. With that being said, if its dirty in the dining areas, what does the kitchen where the food is being prepared looks like.
- synergy of food and aestheticMike1Dined on 7/16/2014This restaurant has a wonderful artful ambience and the food reflects it perfectly. Now they have a deck and firepit area. Its really a unique experience capturing the essence of Mt. Adams and Rookwood's history. Over the years they have done this with very high quality and have maintained that standard! Kudos to everyone responsible for that, I continued to dine there year over year! Great choice adding the dojo gelato. One of my co-workers said that it was "the best icecream they have ever had".Special Features: