The Roof Restaurant
15 East South Temple
Salt Lake City, UT 84150Neighborhood:
Salt Lake City
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Roof Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.templesquarehospitality.com/restaurants/roof.php
- Phone: (801) 539-1911
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Pedro Mauricio
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Consider holding your business dinner or family gathering in "The Library," a private room on the North end of the restaurant with a view of Temple Square, The Conference Center, The Utah State Capitol Building, The Church Office Building, and Downtown Salt Lake City. One large round table creates a comfortable atmosphere for all guests. This unique table accommodates large parties of 10-16 people.
- Private Party Contact: Reservation Desk 8015391911x
- Entertainment: Live piano music every night and during select daytime special event openings.
- Cross Street: State Street
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: The Joseph Smith Memorial Building Underground Parking has a in-street entrance is on South Temple street. Please enter west-bound on South Temple. As you turn onto South Temple, the entrance is on the left. At the bottom of the ramp, turn right to enter the Joseph Smith Memorial Building garage.
A word from The Roof Restaurant
The Roof Restaurant is Utah’s premier gourmet dining buffet. With breathtaking views of Temple Square and Downtown Salt Lake City, The Roof is a fusion of inspiring views and extravagant food. Chef Pedro Mauricio prepares international cuisine with daily regulars for a dynamic menu. Additionally, we offer a world-renowned dessert buffet with an abundance of delicious choices. Note: no alcohol or coffee is served.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
The Roof Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Salt Lake City ›
The Roof Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
160 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (142)special occasion (141)romantic (128)good for groups (31)fit for foodies (27)neighborhood gem (21)great for lunch (12)great for brunch (9)kid-friendly (7)late-night find (7)hot spot (6)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Wonderful eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014Everything was wonderful from the beginning to end. We brought family with us that hadn't been to The Roof in years and they totally loved it. We were greeted at the time of the reservation and taken to our table with the view we requested. The service was impeccable, the food was wonderful. The atmosphere was relaxed and beautiful. The piano was fabulous. Thank you so much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A GREAT PLACE THAT SATISFIES ALL PALATES,OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014A GREAT PLACE TO TAKE PEOPLE WITH DIFFERENT PALATES. ALL THE ENTREES WERE VERY GOOD. A HUGE VARIETY OF SALADS AND DESSERTS WAS FUN ALSO. I WAS CONVERTED TO THE BREAD PUDDING AND CREM BRULE. THE SALT LAKE TEMPLE VIEW WAS BREATHTAKING!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Restaurant and Delicious Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014We had heard many good things from friends and family about The Roof so for our anniversary we decided to go. Everything lived up to the hype our friends and family created. The food was great and the desserts were amazing. The service was spot on and you can't beat the view of SLC and the LDS temple. We felt like we were eating in the kings palace.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing views and pretty good food.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014The food was good but nothing stood out to me. The desserts on the other hand were amazing. Loved the creme brulee and bread pudding really top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!!!JDWILSONDined on 11/18/2014Having been eating at the Roof Restaurant at least 1 to 2 times a year since it opened and will continue, because it is a great place to take my wife.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fairytale SceneryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014We celebrated my boyfriend's birthday at The Roof. Service was excellent, food was great and the scenery was breathtaking. Perfect backdrop to a perfect nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Ambiance and Great Food!RyanDined on 11/15/2014The Roof is my favorite place to eat for a variety of reasons. I love the quiet, romantic ambiance - which makes this a perfect place for an anniversary. Only the sound of the piano is heard (and the live soft piano music is spectacular). They have a buffet full of amazing food - plenty of choices and great desserts. And the service is fantastic - I never saw the bottom of my glass because they kept it full the whole time. The Roof looks out over Salt Lake City and allows you to watch the sunset. it it located right next to Temple Square and allows you to look right down on the Temple. The experience is truly unparalleled I would highly recommend The Roof.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/13/2014My husband had colleagues in from out of town and wanted them to experience Temple Square in the little time they had so we took them to The Roof. Our table was perfect, the food delicious and the service superior. The atmosphere was lovely and the view amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- When to go and where to sit!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/10/2014We went on a Monday night, not knowing what the crowd might be like. It was incredibly wonderful! Ask for the 4 top in the north west corner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014I was not impressed and was quite disappointed, this was a special occasion for my family. The main trays were mostly empty when we went up to eat. No one was around adding a new supply. The prime rib was not even warm, didn't try the ham. The potatoes were watered down, no favor. The salmon had scales on it, that I had to take out of my mouth. Not impressed and would not be back.Special Features:
- special nightcondeq1Dined on 11/7/2014They made the evening extra special and accomedated us very nicely and timely. The most amazing part was the live piano, it was the best perk of the night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!Asuluv2dineDined on 11/6/2014This was our first time here and the whole experience was amazing. The view was phenomenal. The food was delicious and the ambience was romantic and had the feel of fine dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Roof was AwesomejohnnyrokketDined on 11/4/2014What a great experience we had at the roof! Had always heard about the food and the ambiance, but it far exceeded everything we had heard. Ryan Stephan on the piano was a special treat, the view is unbelievable, and the service was sensational. Highly recommended to friends and family or anyone looking for some good food, stress-free atmosphere, and stellar serviceSpecial Features:
- HappilySatisifiedDined on 11/4/2014We came here as a birthday/anniversary/christmas dinner. First time my teenagers had been here. Loved it. I was a quiet night, beautiful view of the city and temple square. Loved Loved Loved it!!!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014All in all our Roof experience was great; however, there were done minor hiccups in the service. We had reservations for 2 at 7pm, arrived at 645pm and still had to wait until 730 pm to be seated. Also the waitress seemed a bit discombobulated. She took our drinks to the table next to us, then when she finally brought them to us they were the wrong flavors. But no big deal, they still tasted great! All of the food was delicious and the view was spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice View but no privacyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2014We had a table that look directly out the window which made for beautiful evening if it wasn't for the couple across from us that also want to look out the window. We felt as though they were watching everything we did not to mention everything we said since the tables were so close to each other. No privacy whatsoever. Most of the food items were okay. The chicken was over cooked and therefore very dry and was usually out of some of the items. I highly recommend the deserts which were to die for. Best part of the whole dinning experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/29/2014We celebrated our 26th anniversary there. After some parking difficulties (van to big for garage) we were late, but they still accommodated us nicely. We had a window view, that I requested when I made reservations. It was so romantic. The view, the food, the music, the overall ambiance, made for an unforgettable evening. Thank you!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience, not great foodSLCDinerDined on 10/27/2014The food is okay, even disappointing at times, especially for the price. The view, service, ambiance, and live pianist are fantastic.Special Features:
- JonJonCMDined on 10/25/2014Stephen was the best server ever. Friendly, made food recommendations, took our pictures in front of the temple view. He treated us like old friends. All the food was very good and high-end chef prepared. These were some of the best desserts I've had. You must try the bread pudding with caramel sauce-wow! The ONLY thing that disappointed me about my experience is that when I made a reservation, I specified I wanted a table by the window (this was the only reason I was going to eat here). They did not seat me with a window view and stated others had reservations for those tables. However, some of those tables were empty during the time we ate there....PS--Wendy, the pianist, provides beautiful background music to help set the ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Roof is topswlpinutDined on 10/24/2014My wife and I celebrated our wedding anniversary at the Roof and it was perfect! Romantic atmosphere, amazing view of the Salt Lake Temple and the entire Salt Lake Valley, and great food and service. The experience can't be beat.!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 60th anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/24/2014We celebrated our parents' 60th anniversary with a special dinner at The Roof. This was incredible....the waiter was wonderful and attentive, and respectful. We could have stayed longer to eat and visit but another group had reservations, and this was handled very respectfully. THANK YOU for a wonderful place of dining.Special Features:
- searsMaxBiz14bommeerjennyDined on 10/22/2014this was a great place to eat and have an experience with the ones that are close to you, the best place in Salt Lake to eat , I have already told my friends here that they have to eat there, and they will when they are in SLC, and I will be back to do it again.Special Features:
- bobobDined on 10/21/2014Really nice buffet. i especially liked the dessert selection. Spectacular view! Be aware this is Morman owned so not only no alcohol, no regular coffee. they do have decaf. Would suggest seating a ways from piano...got kinda loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Dinneratleast1xyearDined on 10/20/2014I will admit, the meat selection was a little bland but everything else especially the dessert section was great!! My wife's first time and she was so impressed with the view, the food, and the service. Good for special occasions.Special Features:
- A real step downOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/18/2014The Roof has taken a significant step down in quality and service since our last visit. Meat dishes were tough, overcooked and had significant gristle. Service was vacant at best. Not what you'd expect for the price you pay.Special Features:
- The roofBen2452Dined on 10/18/2014You are definitely paying for the view. For a buffet, there wasn't much. I wish they have more selection of food to pick from.Special Features:
- A Pleasant ExperiencePaF4FunDined on 10/18/2014A lady friend and I were visiting Salt Lake City and during our stay we accidentally discovered The Roof Top Restaurant. What an impressive find! Our rooftop buffet dinner experience represented one of the finest dining occasions for us during this year. The staff was professionally friendly, very accommodating with fine attention to details that represent the highest level of service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very niceWonderfulDined on 10/17/2014The restaurant is very nice. The food is exceptional. The staff very nice. The view is breath-taking. We enjoyed our evening very much.Special Features:
- Beautiful restaurantTulipGirlDined on 10/15/2014We eat here twice a year. The price is high for this area, but we're paying for the ambiance more than the food. The quality of the food varies considerably. This time, we were lucky, as most of the food was good. The chicken was dry and flavorless, but the prime rib was wonderful, as was the potato leek soup. The creme brulee is the highlight of the dessert bar! Our service was wonderful at the beginning, but as the restaurant got more crowded, the service worsened. We actually had to wait 30 minutes to pay after we were finished eating! I paid cash, and our server took the change without asking. She was miffed at the small tip, not realizing I was adding more to the change. I hate it when servers take the change automatically.Special Features:
- Excellent Dining ExperienceMeatEaterDined on 10/13/2014Took my wife there for her birthday. Atmosphere and service was great. View was great. It was fun to taste so many different foods. The pork medallions were fantastic, chicken was the best ever, prime rib was delicious. All of the staff were so helpful. The piano really set the mood - even a special happy birthday melody for the wife. Great attention to detail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014I ate there two months ago and the food was outstanding. This time everything was great except the meats. All of it was dry. I was disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDisappointed123Dined on 10/11/2014The ambience, the food and the crowd were not on the same page. The location is amazing, but the food was high level cafeteria food or low level Vegas buffet depending on your preferred analogy. As a result the crowd was made up of not people in search of fine dinning but rather LDS loyalists just happy to be at the Joseph Smith memorial building for a perceived fine dinning experience. Which would be fine except that The Roof advertises like its on par with a Flemings or some other establishment of that calibre. Ultimately the mixed vibe of variables left me very disappointed in my experience.Special Features:
- great a place for special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014My husband and I went the other night and loved it! We loved the view and the dinner was great, we especially loved the fresh fruit selection. The service was great and it was very quiet and romantic. The only thing we were dissapointed in was the desserts. I am a dessert chef myself and am therefore very picky. We just found them to be too sweet or not done to our taste. Overall the experience was wonderful!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/6/2014Our dining experience was wonderful. The desert were out of tis world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romance at its bestKayliDined on 10/4/2014I make it a point to go to the Roof every time I visit Salt Lake City. The food, view, and ambiance are unmatched. There is a pianist playing beautiful music, several waiters and their assistants for your every want and need. The view is absolutely breathtaking. This is one of my favorite restaurants in the USA. Phenomenal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceJanetDined on 10/4/2014Staff was excellent, tried hard to please our granddaughters (11 and 8 yrs old) and anticipate their needs and preferences. Piano player mixed in several Disney and Primary songs throughout the evening. Only down side is the buffet line is crowded and somewhat limited salad and entrée selections. (probably only an inconvenience because we were with children) Desserts were plentiful and beautiful. You are paying for the view and experience which were wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good buffet, Great ViewJLDCEOVIPDined on 10/4/2014Let's be honest...the views are the thing here. The buffet is good and the food a 7 on a (buffet) scale of 1-10. Compared to a regular restaurant, its a 5 at best. The people are great and the setting very civilized. But it is crowded and very hard to get around. Diners come at the tables from multiple directions and the scene is chaotic. And frankly, small children and upscale buffets don't mix. Little fingers in food and spilled stuff on every table is "Chuck-a-Rama-ish". I would probably go back but not for a while!
- luvslcDined on 10/3/2014The food was wonderful. The staff was very attentive. The view was spectacular. Overall our favorite place to go in Salt Lake City.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely Love the PlaceLunetaDined on 10/2/2014Have taken visitors from out of town and their response is always positive. They love the food, dessert, piano music, service and to top it off, the view. It's priceless and worth the money paid.Special Features:
- anniversary dinnersoftspot4UDined on 10/2/2014We chose the Roof for our 40th wedding anniversary because we used to come up here when they had dancing and dinner. We love the atmosphere the Roof has and the service is AWESOME! It is a little pricey so we don't come here often but enjoy it when we do. We appreciate the wonderful staff.Special Features: