The Roof Restaurant
15 East South Temple
Salt Lake City, UT 84150Neighborhood:
Salt Lake City
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Roof Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.templesquarehospitality.com/restaurants/roof.php
- Phone: 8015391911x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Pedro Mauricio
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Consider holding your business dinner or family gathering in "The Library," a private room on the North end of the restaurant with a view of Temple Square, The Conference Center, The Utah State Capitol Building, The Church Office Building, and Downtown Salt Lake City. One large round table creates a comfortable atmosphere for all guests. This unique table accommodates large parties of 10-16 people.
- Private Party Contact: Reservation Desk 8015391911x
- Entertainment: Live piano music every night and during select daytime special event openings.
- Cross Street: State Street
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: The Joseph Smith Memorial Building Underground Parking has a in-street entrance is on South Temple street. Please enter west-bound on South Temple. As you turn onto South Temple, the entrance is on the left. At the bottom of the ramp, turn right to enter the Joseph Smith Memorial Building garage.
A word from The Roof Restaurant
The Roof Restaurant is Utah’s premier gourmet dining buffet. With breathtaking views of Temple Square and Downtown Salt Lake City, The Roof is a fusion of inspiring views and extravagant food. Chef Pedro Mauricio prepares international cuisine with daily regulars for a dynamic menu. Additionally, we offer a world-renowned dessert buffet with an abundance of delicious choices. Note: no alcohol or coffee is served.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Roof Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Salt Lake City ›
The Roof Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
155 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (139)scenic view (137)romantic (121)good for groups (29)fit for foodies (22)neighborhood gem (14)great for brunch (8)great for lunch (6)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (5)hot spot (2)notable wine list (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- chad2Dined on 9/12/2014We enjoyed our dining experience at the Roof. The food was very good and there was a good variety of choices. The dessert bar was excellent.Special Features:
- Wonderful RestaurantkpitrlDined on 9/11/2014The views were exquisite, the food was divine and the service was impeccable. My husband and I were there for our five year anniversary and we could not have picked a better place to celebrate our marriage.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ServicecasholaDined on 9/10/2014Dining here was a pleasant surprise to my wife for our anniversary. The restaurant, although pricey, was worth every dollar with the beautiful scenic views and the excellent customer service. We went on a week night so I'm sure it was a little calmer than on a weekend, but I would recommend dining here any night of the week. Our server made us feel special and was spot on with his suggestions of what to try. The food was, of course, excellent and the ambiance could not be beat.Special Features:
- Completely satisfiedValeriamoreno1554Dined on 9/6/2014Even tho I requested to get a table right next to the window that did not happen I was really bummed out because it was my first time there and I was surprising my husband and everything and I just wanted to make it just as special. But either way I seriously cannot complain best place by far ! I loved the piano in the back round , the food is beyond delicious and I feel like I made a perfect choice coming in to the roof ! Thank you !! It was exactly what I was looking for !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful experienceLCromans828Dined on 9/5/2014The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. The food tasted superb. I loved the piano music: your musician was excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed the view, as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodIrishroseDined on 9/4/2014The service was excellent. The food very well prepared. Loved the selections of deserts. The view was fantastic. Only wish that small children were not allowed. It was a very quiet meal until the baby in back of us started crying. It was distracting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wait staff and greetersOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/4/2014The wait staff and greeters were great but not as "fine tuned" as you may find in other restaurants. I'm not certain but I think they were LDS kids simply getting some great experience. Considering that, they were awesome! I'm not LDS but I'm familiar with the work ethic taught to their children. The food was delicious and the presentation was top notch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Dining ExperienceFlintFamDined on 9/2/2014The Roof is always our favorite choice for celebrating special occasions whether it is a birthday, graduation, anniversary, or employee Christmas luncheon. The food is as delicious as it is beautiful, the atmosphere is so relaxing and romantic, the piano players are amazing, and the views of downtown Salt Lake City and the Salt Lake LDS Temple are incredible and amazing. The highlights of the buffet are the unbelievable desserts with so many choices that you must try a few, and the famous hot and fluffy Lion House rolls with honey butter, a signature item for the Roof. It is elegant dining at its finest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, poor serviceanniversaryfailDined on 8/29/2014I took my wife there for our first anniversary. they sat us by the window, and the view was amazing. The food was delicious. Our server barley came by to check on us. Both times we came back from the buffet our old plates were still there. Usually not a big deal but with the table being so small it was hard for it to feel up scale. When our server did come by she was nice. Offered to get us more rolls and a new spoon, then she never came back. When she finally did come back she didn't have anything she told us she was going to bring. Then she pretended like was never there. Very forgetful. Luckily the buster was there to refill our drinks. Probably won't have another anniversary here. Sorry.Special Features:
- Great buffet!RomeoDined on 8/29/2014The Roof is a high-end buffet that won't disappoint you in the least! The view is breath-taking, the service is great, and the quality of food is much, much better than what you'll find at other buffets. The last few years we've gone here on our anniversary and have loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special eventEnjoyDined on 8/25/2014My wife and I had our first date at the roof and now 15 years later, we had our aniversary dinner at the roof. If you like wonderful music, a greate atmosphere, good food and a special time, the roof is you place for a wonderful evening meal. The view of the temple square and a special look at the city, and in our case a special sunset are all part of the scene. It is not fast food but a special buffet with quality meal items. Have a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperiencedagdineDined on 8/23/2014A great dining experience. Food was outstanding, service very good, great view.Special Features:
- loved itloveDined on 8/22/2014It was my first time at The Roof. My husband and I were celebrating our 4 year anniversary, couldn't get enough of the food. Wish my plates were bigger so I could fit more food! Definitely went back to the buffet Le 7 times. The piano player was amazing and made the atmosphere very romantic and elegant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Food & AmbienceDenDudeDined on 8/19/2014We visited the restaurant for the first time in celebration of our 26th Wedding Anniversary. Everything was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dining in SLCMrsCDined on 8/19/2014Buffets can be questionable at best, but the Roof serves up theirs like the finest of restaurants coast to coast. I especially enjoyed the French onion soup and baby back ribs. I've dined often of late in NYC and the Roof's exquisetly tasting food matches some of the best the bog apple has to offer!Special Features:
- Happy CustomerhappydinerDined on 8/18/2014We went to The Roof to celebrate our anniversary. The staff was attentive and the food was very good. The view can't be beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itAmazingDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I have come to The Roof every year for our anniversary. We have never been disappointed. Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I keep going back.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Too pricey for regular dining, it's still the perfect spot for special occasions. I've celebrated numerous anniversaries here with my wife, and even some birthdays. Excellent food, top-notch service, and a great, all around feel make this a destination spot for making memories.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notch in every wayDesertVagabond1Dined on 8/15/2014Great experience, as always. Staff was most accommodating; we appreciated the personal touches of congratulations to graduate and birthday; pianist very kind to acknowledge birthday of party member. Most excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Romantic Anniversary DinnerH0lyD1verDined on 8/15/2014My wife and I recently celebrated our Anniversary by going to The Roof. What incredible views! The food was fantastic, and the views of downtown SLC/Temple Square were incredible!Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemmrmysticDined on 8/14/2014Romantic atmosphere with a great view of temple square with mouth watering food. Fresh sliced meats, salad, cheeses and soups. Can't wait to go back and re-live this experience. Hosts are amazing for making your table sparkle for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice, but a little expensive.veehbDined on 8/14/2014We have visited the Roof Restaurant many times in the past. The price keeps creeping up. Dinner for two on our anniversary this week came to over $100. I did purchase a single rose and a special drink for my wife during dinner. Very nice atmosphere, although there was a rather large wedding party that was quite noisy, distracting from the ambiance. The staff was very attentive, the piano music was wonderful, and the food was very good. We do celebrate special occasions there often. I made the reservation the morning of our visit and was pleased to get a great window table with a wonderful view of Temple Square. We will be back, even though I find it on the expensive side ($120 including tax and tips).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- And it came to passAndItCamePassDined on 8/13/2014I read dozens of reviews before I decided to take my wife to dinner for anniversary at The Roof. I agree with most people that gave the roof 4 or 5 stars over all. There is nothing like looking out over temple at sunset from the 10th floor of the JSMB. I think those who gave the food 4 or 5 stars may have been overcome with the exceptional view and were extremely generous. I would give the food 2.5 stars about the same as what you would get at Golden Corral or Chuck-A-Rama. The prime rib was bland and the carver was stingy and sirloin was chewy. The specialty item for the month of August was baby back ribs they were oustanding. There was enough choices to find something that everyone would enjoy. For 2 after tip ur looking at an easy $100.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Dining At The Roof RestaurantJimmyMacVIPDined on 8/12/2014Our party of five was given a lovely table at The Roof Restaurant with a spectacular view of Temple is Salt Lake City. Not a big fan of buffet dinners which is what The Roof offers, but quality of food and presentation better than most. It's important for buffet restaurants to keep close watch on supply of food at stations - Roof Restaurant needs to do better job here. I had to wait for horseradish sauce for Prime Rib. Tasty soup offerings and wonderful salad selections. I love desserts and The Roof has devilishly delicious ones - best was carrot cake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but pricy and limitedChadDined on 8/11/2014I have dined here on several occasions. The food provided is good but limited in some selections. For example: a salad selection with 4-6 toppings total. Staples like cottage cheese should be available. Also, I prefer more dinner options than 400 desserts for what you pay to dine here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing musicCami1825Dined on 8/8/2014The music was wonderful! Love the live piano. It seems that the hot ticket item would be gone way too fast and we would have to wait. Maybe by bringing out larger portions that would be better. Great though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Excellent experience--beautiful setting--buffet was amazing--loved the back ground music--Special Features:
- As Good As It GetsJeffJ57Dined on 8/7/2014Hard to find a better restaurant in Utah. Great food, great view, great ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy BirthdayFastEddyDined on 8/5/2014I would welcome anyone to utilize the birthday discount for having a "birthday" dinner. The food is great, the desserts are the best in the Valley. Waiters and Servers (slicing meat) were attentive, but not over bearing. The view of the LDS temple was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent buffet, stunning viewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/4/2014Some people wouldn't put "gourmet" and "buffet" in the same sentence but the Roof fits both. It's not cheap, but you get what you pay for. The salad section has lettuce/pasta/vegetable type salads but also more unusual salads -- and they always have poached salmon, shrimp, soup, a cheese board, and an hors d'oeuvre. The hot food portion always has ham and prime rib carved to order, plus 2-3 other entrees, starches and vegetables. The dessert tables are out of this world. Tip to newbies -- both sides of the hot food and salad sections are the same, but the two dessert tables are different so go through both of them! The view can't be beat. The Roof is on the 10th floor of the Joseph Smith Memorial Building and overlooks Temple Square.Special Features:
- Special occasion must!PeffaDined on 8/2/2014The Roof is THE place to go for any special occasion. Tell them your occasion and they will celebrate you! Ask ahead for a window seat, but everyone gets a magnificent view! The buffet is delicious!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indescribably SuperbGratefuldinerDined on 8/1/2014From the moment we were ever so warmly welcomed by name to our reluctant departure The Roof was a memorable experience. The view from our window table was heavenly. The servers were ever attentive without being intrusive. Music was provided by a live piano player with a broad range of easy listening selections that contributed to the quiet ambience. The wide variety of food was both appealing to the eye and the palate. The desserts were over the top. We were impressed with the sensitivity to dietary needs. For example, offerings were available for patrons with gluten sensitivity or needing sugar free foods. We felt pampered throughout. It is worth going out of one's way for! Not enough stars in survey to give deserved rating!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Anniversary Restaurant!asdfghjklDined on 7/31/2014We celebrated our first anniversary and had a great experience. We had a great view of the Salt Lake Temple and downtown. Also, the servers and workers were super friendly and helped make it a great experience for us. They put a card on our table saying that it was our anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love going, and will go again!Mcclete22Dined on 7/26/2014The Roof is a special place for my wife and I. We go there for special occasions and we love it. The food is wonderful, the deserts are so numerous and excellent, and the view can not be beat. If you choose to dine at the roof you will not be sorry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too CasualOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014While the food and service were very good, the atmosphere and the way some diners were dressed (shorts and T shirts) spoiled an great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Roof Restaurant, SLC, Utahutahgirl57Dined on 7/26/2014We love the Roof - for special occasions. It is pretty expensive, but we have been there many times. We especially love the piano music playing while we dine. The employees are always courteous and right on task. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/21/2014Had to wait 15 minutes past our 7:00 reservation so they could seat a tour group that actually arrived after us. The group was loud. We had choosen to come for our 47th anniversary and the Ambience for the occasion was not what we had planned for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreattdyberDined on 7/21/2014Good food, great service, wonderful atmosphere. Personal attention numerous times during the evening. always like to return when I have the opportunity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencefredDined on 7/19/2014The idea of spending big money for a buffet is odd to be but wow does it work. We were 20 minutes earlier than our reservation and they seated us like they had been waiting for us and like we were the most important people in the world. Food was fabulous. Even the french onion soup! Really great deserts. The view was great although we were there well before sun down and I think it would be even better for sundown or after dark.Special Features:
- Good food & service but overpricedwanderingDined on 7/18/2014This was my first visit to The Roof, we were celebrating our tenth anniversary. I have no complaints about the food or the service, which were both good in and of themselves; but both were completely underwhelming for the price. I've spent $100 on dinner for two plenty of times, but have rarely spent that much with so much ambivalence about the experience. I doubt I'll return, and would probably encourage others to spend their money elsewhere.