The Roof Restaurant
15 East South Temple
Salt Lake City, UT 84150Neighborhood:
Salt Lake City
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Roof Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.templesquarehospitality.com/restaurants/roof.php
- Phone: 8015391911x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Pedro Mauricio
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Consider holding your business dinner or family gathering in "The Library," a private room on the North end of the restaurant with a view of Temple Square, The Conference Center, The Utah State Capitol Building, The Church Office Building, and Downtown Salt Lake City. One large round table creates a comfortable atmosphere for all guests. This unique table accommodates large parties of 10-16 people.
- Private Party Contact: Reservation Desk 8015391911x
- Entertainment: Live piano music every night and during select daytime special event openings.
- Cross Street: State Street
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: The Joseph Smith Memorial Building Underground Parking has a in-street entrance is on South Temple street. Please enter west-bound on South Temple. As you turn onto South Temple, the entrance is on the left. At the bottom of the ramp, turn right to enter the Joseph Smith Memorial Building garage.
A word from The Roof Restaurant
The Roof Restaurant is Utah’s premier gourmet dining buffet. With breathtaking views of Temple Square and Downtown Salt Lake City, The Roof is a fusion of inspiring views and extravagant food. Chef Pedro Mauricio prepares international cuisine with daily regulars for a dynamic menu. Additionally, we offer a world-renowned dessert buffet with an abundance of delicious choices. Note: no alcohol or coffee is served.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Roof Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Salt Lake City ›
The Roof Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
156 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (138)special occasion (135)romantic (117)good for groups (28)fit for foodies (25)neighborhood gem (18)great for lunch (10)great for brunch (8)kid-friendly (7)late-night find (6)hot spot (4)great for outdoor dining (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014Really nice buffet. i especially liked the dessert selection. Spectacular view! Be aware this is Morman owned so not only no alcohol, no regular coffee. they do have decaf. Would suggest seating a ways from piano...got kinda loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014I will admit, the meat selection was a little bland but everything else especially the dessert section was great!! My wife's first time and she was so impressed with the view, the food, and the service. Good for special occasions.Special Features:
- A real step downOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/18/2014The Roof has taken a significant step down in quality and service since our last visit. Meat dishes were tough, overcooked and had significant gristle. Service was vacant at best. Not what you'd expect for the price you pay.Special Features:
- The roofBen2452Dined on 10/18/2014You are definitely paying for the view. For a buffet, there wasn't much. I wish they have more selection of food to pick from.Special Features:
- A Pleasant ExperiencePaF4FunDined on 10/18/2014A lady friend and I were visiting Salt Lake City and during our stay we accidentally discovered The Roof Top Restaurant. What an impressive find! Our rooftop buffet dinner experience represented one of the finest dining occasions for us during this year. The staff was professionally friendly, very accommodating with fine attention to details that represent the highest level of service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very niceWonderfulDined on 10/17/2014The restaurant is very nice. The food is exceptional. The staff very nice. The view is breath-taking. We enjoyed our evening very much.Special Features:
- Beautiful restaurantTulipGirlDined on 10/15/2014We eat here twice a year. The price is high for this area, but we're paying for the ambiance more than the food. The quality of the food varies considerably. This time, we were lucky, as most of the food was good. The chicken was dry and flavorless, but the prime rib was wonderful, as was the potato leek soup. The creme brulee is the highlight of the dessert bar! Our service was wonderful at the beginning, but as the restaurant got more crowded, the service worsened. We actually had to wait 30 minutes to pay after we were finished eating! I paid cash, and our server took the change without asking. She was miffed at the small tip, not realizing I was adding more to the change. I hate it when servers take the change automatically.Special Features:
- Excellent Dining ExperienceMeatEaterDined on 10/13/2014Took my wife there for her birthday. Atmosphere and service was great. View was great. It was fun to taste so many different foods. The pork medallions were fantastic, chicken was the best ever, prime rib was delicious. All of the staff were so helpful. The piano really set the mood - even a special happy birthday melody for the wife. Great attention to detail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014I ate there two months ago and the food was outstanding. This time everything was great except the meats. All of it was dry. I was disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDisappointed123Dined on 10/11/2014The ambience, the food and the crowd were not on the same page. The location is amazing, but the food was high level cafeteria food or low level Vegas buffet depending on your preferred analogy. As a result the crowd was made up of not people in search of fine dinning but rather LDS loyalists just happy to be at the Joseph Smith memorial building for a perceived fine dinning experience. Which would be fine except that The Roof advertises like its on par with a Flemings or some other establishment of that calibre. Ultimately the mixed vibe of variables left me very disappointed in my experience.Special Features:
- great a place for special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014My husband and I went the other night and loved it! We loved the view and the dinner was great, we especially loved the fresh fruit selection. The service was great and it was very quiet and romantic. The only thing we were dissapointed in was the desserts. I am a dessert chef myself and am therefore very picky. We just found them to be too sweet or not done to our taste. Overall the experience was wonderful!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/6/2014Our dining experience was wonderful. The desert were out of tis world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romance at its bestKayliDined on 10/4/2014I make it a point to go to the Roof every time I visit Salt Lake City. The food, view, and ambiance are unmatched. There is a pianist playing beautiful music, several waiters and their assistants for your every want and need. The view is absolutely breathtaking. This is one of my favorite restaurants in the USA. Phenomenal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceJanetDined on 10/4/2014Staff was excellent, tried hard to please our granddaughters (11 and 8 yrs old) and anticipate their needs and preferences. Piano player mixed in several Disney and Primary songs throughout the evening. Only down side is the buffet line is crowded and somewhat limited salad and entrée selections. (probably only an inconvenience because we were with children) Desserts were plentiful and beautiful. You are paying for the view and experience which were wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good buffet, Great ViewJLDCEOVIPDined on 10/4/2014Let's be honest...the views are the thing here. The buffet is good and the food a 7 on a (buffet) scale of 1-10. Compared to a regular restaurant, its a 5 at best. The people are great and the setting very civilized. But it is crowded and very hard to get around. Diners come at the tables from multiple directions and the scene is chaotic. And frankly, small children and upscale buffets don't mix. Little fingers in food and spilled stuff on every table is "Chuck-a-Rama-ish". I would probably go back but not for a while!
- luvslcDined on 10/3/2014The food was wonderful. The staff was very attentive. The view was spectacular. Overall our favorite place to go in Salt Lake City.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely Love the PlaceLunetaDined on 10/2/2014Have taken visitors from out of town and their response is always positive. They love the food, dessert, piano music, service and to top it off, the view. It's priceless and worth the money paid.Special Features:
- anniversary dinnersoftspot4UDined on 10/2/2014We chose the Roof for our 40th wedding anniversary because we used to come up here when they had dancing and dinner. We love the atmosphere the Roof has and the service is AWESOME! It is a little pricey so we don't come here often but enjoy it when we do. We appreciate the wonderful staff.Special Features:
- Would Go AgainWindermereRobDined on 10/1/2014We loved The Roof and would go again. The food was very good, but the view was spectacular. It is the best view of the Salt Lake Temple you'll get on Temple Square (from the outside). We enjoyed our dinner, and there were too many tasty desserts to be able to try even half of them. I was surprised when the check came -- I had expected it to be more expensive than it actually was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- really fabulousMSvisitorDined on 9/29/2014Food was wonderful, atmosphere even better. Salt Lake City is a beautiful place and viewing it from The Roof is spectacular!!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Lovely evening - great food, great view and a chance to show our out of town guests A Utah Landmark that does dinner right! It was great!Special Features:
- Rip-offwantmy100BucksBackDined on 9/25/2014all you get is a view, you are over priced for the average Chuck O Rama food quality and taking advantage of the LDS cultureSpecial Features:
- Expectations met!DrewDined on 9/25/2014The food was just fantastic. All of our expectations were easily met. Service was great! Atmosphere was enjoyable. A reminder to those who would like a beautiful view of the Salt Lake temple: reserve your table for a time that is after the sun has gone down.Special Features:
- Great Utah experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/23/2014This business dinner at the Roof went very well. The view, food and professional service were a great setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buffet with a viewMickeyDined on 9/20/2014Good quality food with a fantastic selection of desserts. Staff are so friendly. If you are lucky enough to get a window table, you will have a wonderful view over Temple Square. They do not serve alcohol but you won't need it as you will be intoxicated by the view!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014Everything was practically perfect for our much needed getaway dinner! The view was incredible, the food was excellent and the service was outstanding! This will become our new tradition when visiting Salt Lake City!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great dinnerWassermannDined on 9/13/2014My wife and I had dinner at the Roof Restaurant. We had a table with a phantastic view of SLC and the Temple Square. The food was delicious, especially the desserts. We would have liked an espresso or a coffee at the end of our dinner, but unfortunately it was not possible.Special Features:
- chad2Dined on 9/12/2014We enjoyed our dining experience at the Roof. The food was very good and there was a good variety of choices. The dessert bar was excellent.Special Features:
- Wonderful RestaurantkpitrlDined on 9/11/2014The views were exquisite, the food was divine and the service was impeccable. My husband and I were there for our five year anniversary and we could not have picked a better place to celebrate our marriage.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ServicecasholaDined on 9/10/2014Dining here was a pleasant surprise to my wife for our anniversary. The restaurant, although pricey, was worth every dollar with the beautiful scenic views and the excellent customer service. We went on a week night so I'm sure it was a little calmer than on a weekend, but I would recommend dining here any night of the week. Our server made us feel special and was spot on with his suggestions of what to try. The food was, of course, excellent and the ambiance could not be beat.Special Features:
- Completely satisfiedValeriamoreno1554Dined on 9/6/2014Even tho I requested to get a table right next to the window that did not happen I was really bummed out because it was my first time there and I was surprising my husband and everything and I just wanted to make it just as special. But either way I seriously cannot complain best place by far ! I loved the piano in the back round , the food is beyond delicious and I feel like I made a perfect choice coming in to the roof ! Thank you !! It was exactly what I was looking for !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful experienceLCromans828Dined on 9/5/2014The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. The food tasted superb. I loved the piano music: your musician was excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed the view, as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodIrishroseDined on 9/4/2014The service was excellent. The food very well prepared. Loved the selections of deserts. The view was fantastic. Only wish that small children were not allowed. It was a very quiet meal until the baby in back of us started crying. It was distracting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wait staff and greetersOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/4/2014The wait staff and greeters were great but not as "fine tuned" as you may find in other restaurants. I'm not certain but I think they were LDS kids simply getting some great experience. Considering that, they were awesome! I'm not LDS but I'm familiar with the work ethic taught to their children. The food was delicious and the presentation was top notch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!Luv2DineDined on 9/2/2014It was amazing! My wife and I have gone to the roof twice and it has been a great experience each time! The food was to die for and we both enjoyed the view and the ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Dining ExperienceFlintFamDined on 9/2/2014The Roof is always our favorite choice for celebrating special occasions whether it is a birthday, graduation, anniversary, or employee Christmas luncheon. The food is as delicious as it is beautiful, the atmosphere is so relaxing and romantic, the piano players are amazing, and the views of downtown Salt Lake City and the Salt Lake LDS Temple are incredible and amazing. The highlights of the buffet are the unbelievable desserts with so many choices that you must try a few, and the famous hot and fluffy Lion House rolls with honey butter, a signature item for the Roof. It is elegant dining at its finest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, poor serviceanniversaryfailDined on 8/29/2014I took my wife there for our first anniversary. they sat us by the window, and the view was amazing. The food was delicious. Our server barley came by to check on us. Both times we came back from the buffet our old plates were still there. Usually not a big deal but with the table being so small it was hard for it to feel up scale. When our server did come by she was nice. Offered to get us more rolls and a new spoon, then she never came back. When she finally did come back she didn't have anything she told us she was going to bring. Then she pretended like was never there. Very forgetful. Luckily the buster was there to refill our drinks. Probably won't have another anniversary here. Sorry.Special Features:
- Great buffet!RomeoDined on 8/29/2014The Roof is a high-end buffet that won't disappoint you in the least! The view is breath-taking, the service is great, and the quality of food is much, much better than what you'll find at other buffets. The last few years we've gone here on our anniversary and have loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special eventEnjoyDined on 8/25/2014My wife and I had our first date at the roof and now 15 years later, we had our aniversary dinner at the roof. If you like wonderful music, a greate atmosphere, good food and a special time, the roof is you place for a wonderful evening meal. The view of the temple square and a special look at the city, and in our case a special sunset are all part of the scene. It is not fast food but a special buffet with quality meal items. Have a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperiencedagdineDined on 8/23/2014A great dining experience. Food was outstanding, service very good, great view.Special Features: