The River Room
One River Road
Shawnee On Delaware, PA 18356Neighborhood:
Shawnee on Delaware
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The River Room
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.shawneeinn.com/
- Phone: (570) 424-4000
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 6:00am - 11:00am; Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Gurav Nevin
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: If you’re searching for banquet facilities in the Poconos consider the Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort located in Shawnee on Delaware, PA. Our scenic location is the perfect setting for banquets and social events in Pennsylvania. Gently nestled between the Appalachian Mountain Range and Delaware River, Shawnee is a remarkable setting for special gatherings. Featuring over 14,587 sq. ft. of flexible function space along with our picturesque outdoor settings,
The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort is the perfect venue for your next event.
- Entertainment: Friday and Saturday 8:00pm to Midnight
The River Room Piano Bar and Lounge is located in the historic Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort. It is the perfect spot for great music, lively conversation, meeting family and connecting with old or new friends. Surround yourself in a comfortable setting and enjoy the ambiance and atmosphere of congeniality and warmth, fast becoming the signature of The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort. Stools around the piano allow sing-a-long patrons to be close to the action. Other tables allow more intimate conversation while enjoying the music and singing of the piano-side crowd. Our Classic Cocktail menu, selection of fine wines and handcrafted ShawneeCraft® Ales and Lagers are a perfect accompaniment to a great evening at Shawnee.
- Special Events: Join us for a Thanksgiving Feast second to none. The River rooms's executive Chef G, will prepare all your holiday favorites plus an array of salads and desserts sure to please everyone. Visit for website for the full menu! http://www.shawneeinn.com/media/docs/attachedDocs/ThanksgivingMenu_Inn93011.pdf
A word from The River Room
A tribute to the calm and mighty Delaware River, the River Room focuses on fusing Shawnee's natural surroundings with the flavors and traditions of our region. Grass fed beef and all natural pork and chicken are highlighted on the menu. Using produce from our own Shawna Farm, honey from our own hives and maple syrup tapped from our maple trees, the menu at the River Room uses local ingredients whenever possible.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The River Room reviews from OpenTable diners
5 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelQuiet
scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (2)special occasion (2)romantic (1)great for lunch (1)fit for foodies (1)kid-friendly (1)neighborhood gem (1)Show More
- DREAM DINNERRiverdiningDined on 8/14/2014We did not expect such a warm & inviting dining experience.The staff & waiters were superb & very professional. My wife, friend & I enjoyed the live music that was provided by peter. food was excellent quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 51 reviews are from the The River Room reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/4/2014We were the only ones in the restaurant on a Wednesday Night. I had the Rib Eye, ordered medium rare. It came out medium well with dried out potatoes and nasty looking asparagus. The wine list is weak. Coffee after dinner was undrinkable. I really couldn't recommend this place to anyone, except maybe someone I don't like. They have to get their act together on the food.
- decent food.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/8/2014The tortellini , was quite as were the appetizers. My husband's meal was served cold so they had to heat it up. The wine glass was dirty and there wasn't much focus on elegance, which we expected. Additionally, the menu found online at the hotel website differs from the one they have at the restaurant. Not just the specials which you would expect, but the day to day menu. I was very disappointed that they didn't have a Breakfast menu, only a buffet (which was terrible and very expensive). Overall, it was some place I am glad I tried but wouldn't necessarily back.Special Features:
- Too casual for 22.00 a plateSLS115Dined on 3/8/2014Too many noisy kids and hotel guests dressed in hoodies and sneakers for my liking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014We ate here for both breakfast and dinner during our stay this weekend. The food was great but the service outstanding. Out waiters and waitresses were all terrific but particularly Diana, Jose, Katherine and Owen. We highly recommend it here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant was closedDisappointedDined on 2/9/2014OpenTable took my reservation however when we arrived the restaurant did not even have hours on the day of my reservations. If I could give no stars, I would. The only reason I said I would recommend the restaurant is because we had to eat in the bar and that food was delicious. I will never use OpenTable again after such a ridiculous error!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would have given 5 stars butOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/24/2013Would have given 5 stars but food took a little long to arrive. Veggies on 2 plates weren't as hot as they should have been.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was truly terrible -KBV1Dined on 10/12/2013Food was truly terrible - this was supposed to be the "upscale" restaurant on the property, but we regretted not just going back to the tavern which was decent. The servers could not have been nicer or more helpful. But clearly this is an outdated restaurant with food to match. It has very old decor with water leaks visible and just looks like it's not going to be a good meal (which should have prompted us not to sit down and order). The food was equivalent to cafeteria food at best - the steak "special" had no flavor and was very tough. The potatoes were decent and vegetables ok. But we both agreed we would have enjoyed McDonald's better. Some investment in this restaurant could make it a real gem.Special Features:
- A good place for groupsJeanandrichDined on 10/4/2013We were a party of nine and thr River Room worked for us as it is a large dining room that can handle groups no problem. The atmosphere is ok, large resort dining room, nothing intimate or charming, but as I said it worked well for us. The service was fine and the menu had good selections, but nothing too adventuresome.Special Features:
- I showed up with my wife andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/12/2013I showed up with my wife and 6 young kids. They were very accommodating and the portions were ample.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor setting, good food.wr2dnDined on 7/26/2013We were guests in the hotel celebrating our anniversary. We made the false assumption that the River Room would have a view of the river, it did not. There was a wedding going on in the room underneath the River Room and we endured loud base music reverberating through the floor throughout the dinner. On a positive note, the food was delicious, and we enjoyed the use of the house-grown vegetables.
- Friendly staffKevinDined on 7/20/2013The views were nice the staff was very friendly. The food was not very good and the restaurant smelled like a swimming pool because the in door pool was right downstairs. The piano player at the entrance was nice but you really could not hear him from the tables. The big porch overlooking the golf course was beautiful. You can eat out there but it's also where everyone goes to smoke and hang out. It was a really cool place. I would go back for drinks but not the food. I'm glad we had a restaurant.com coupon because it was very expensive and we barley ate our dinners because of the taste.Special Features:
- i absolutely loved this restaurant.eat2treatDined on 7/18/2013i absolutely loved this restaurant. It was quiet, cozy, romantic, and the food was delicious. The wait staff was excellent, and the entertainment enjoyable. I would definately recomend it to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Breakfast & DinnerannivgetawayDined on 6/9/2013My husband & I ate breakfast there two mornings. Serve yourself buffet style. Food was low quality. Service was friendly. Our table overlooked a golf green which provided interesting entertainment. For dinner, we dined on the outdoor porch. This was nicer than eating in the restaurant. Steak was a bit tough. Salmon was good. Wine selection limited. Friendly wait staff. Beautiful scenery overlooking Delaware River.Special Features:
- outdoor waterview diningMikeDined on 6/4/2013The location along the Delaware River is beautiful. There was a musical group out on the lawn that was fun to hear. The restaurant sells four or five of their own craft beers on tap, which is a nice touch. The service was very good. The only complaint: the food was average and not served particularly hot. It was not cold but it was not hot either.Special Features:
- Enjoyable, but didn't see the riverOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/12/2013We had made a 7:30 reservation here so we didn't have to go back out after a 3 hour drive to get there. We were 1 of only 2 guests in the dining room for the hour we were there and the service was very attentive. I had the flatiron steak ($24) and it was very nicely seasoned and exactly medium rare, as I had ordered. My wife had the fruit glazed pork filet ($22) which she also enjoyed very much. The vegetables were very fresh and done just right. Mashed potatoes were smooth and we enjoyed the big scoop of butter on the potatoes and the warm rolls. We also split a fresh house salad ($9) - 2 plates, no charge. The menu only had 5-6 entrees so that was the only down side regarding dinner. Current menu is not quite as pricey as O/T shows.
- So very disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/15/2013This was supposed to be s gem of a place with great food. We read somewhere that there was a dress code (smart casual) no jeans. So I packed my heels and my husband brought slacks and a jacket . Seriously?! We walked in and I could have worn jeans and flip flops. There were only two other tables occupied on a fri night. Staff was very Nice, accommodating n courteous. The food ...?! The side of wedge potatoes was obviously precooked and set aside. They were old, hard and cold. My husbands steak was the same. Doesn't take long to grill a steak yet his tasted like it had been precooked n leftover as well as cold. It was supposed to be a nice romantic birthday dinner . Our dinner ended up being the cookies we received at turn down service :(
- Incredible Food - Beautiful ViewOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/10/2013Frankly, there were so many delicious sounding choices I struggled to pick only one option in each category. The Vegetable Crudi was fantastic...perfect balance of veggies (asparagus, zucchini, sun-dried tomatoes, and more). I forget the exact name of the Bisque but it had seafood and had tomato influences as bisque should and it was delicious. It came with crackers on the side but I tossed them aside as the bisque didn't need it. (etiquette prevented me from licking the bowl so I crumbled a little bit of the roll into the bowl to lap up the rest of bisque). The Chilean Sea Bass was perfectly cooked - it was very moist yet cooked thoroughly as I like it. The service was great and the view was beautiful of the setting sun.Special Features:
- Standard hotel restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/2/2013Standard hotel restaurant. Food was pretty good, quick service, well priced. Would have an amazing view if they put lanterns outdoors to see the river.Special Features:
- An Etouffee to Remember!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/5/2013I have been to the River Room before and have always had great food. The highlight of my dining experience this time was the Seafood Etouffee which was exceptional. Visually, the presentation is magnificent. The generous amounts of sea scallops, shrimp, clams, mussels, and crayfish were symmetrically arranged on 3/4 of the plate on a layer of the sauce which was perfectly spiced. In one corner was the rice which was a medley of rices including wild rice. All of the seafood was cooked to perfection. This was once of the best etouffees I have had!Special Features:
- Go for lunch not dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2012The veiw and service were very lovely, the food choices not so vast. The quality was so so!Special Features:
- Never againOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/24/2012Came here on Christmas eve with a family of four.Most of my food was not tasty and it came out cold.Escargot was prepared inside the shell and could not get it out,plus it was cold. Salad was okay.All the food came out late and not worth it or the price.Dessert was supermarket quality which was also ice cold.I would never return.Special Features:
- Well, there was one problemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/4/2012Well, there was one problem when we arrived...the River Room was NOT open for dinner. I explained that I had a reservation and in addition called to make sure it was open, since the website said to call for Holiday hours. We were then directed to The Gem. We've been there before and it was very good. Unfortunately, this time it was not. We were the only people in the dining room..so we were surprised that the food was not hot and the entrees not very good. So, not such a great experience...sorry!!
- Excellent meal. One of theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/23/2012Excellent meal. One of the best we've had in a long time--5 star!!Special Features:
- Wonderful lunch. Server wasBevBillDined on 10/21/2012Wonderful lunch. Server was very attentive and pleasant. Enjoyable.Special Features:
- Food was delicious. WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2012Food was delicious. Wonderful dinning experience thanks to our waiter.Special Features:
- Not a Good Experience.DianeVIPDined on 10/9/2012This truly was a very disappointing meal . We were a party of four. Three out of the four meals were not good. We started with appetizers Sautéed calamari it was sooooo bland. We also had clams in a garlic broth which was definitly better than the calamari but was still very bland. The two men had a steak which was so chewy and far from tender.I had a seafood dish which had shrimp scallops clams in a broth and everything was over cooked. The other person had a fish dish sea bass hers was great. Although the veggies were tasty. They had a group playing instruments in the hall right by the door to come in to the restaurant . It trully was not a great experience. However Jose was a good waiter.
- Out of the way location andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/1/2012Out of the way location and perfect for special mealSpecial Features:
- Retirement home dining roomOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/28/2012When I viewed the restaurant & menu online I expected a romantic classy experience. While the food was good and the service was good as well, the ambiance was definitely not what I expected. I felt more like we were in the dining room at a retirement home. The Gem & keystone next door was much better and had a much better feel. We will go back to Shawnee but we will unfortunately will not be returning to the river room. It is really overpriced for the experience. Also, there were a ton of people at the inn and we were the only ones in the river room. If we didn't have reservations, I would have left.Special Features:
- The River room was a wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/25/2012The River room was a wonderful dining experience. The vegetables were fresh from their garden, the seating was so peaceful outside, and the service was impeccable. The food was delicious!Special Features:
- We had a very beautiful eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/24/2012We had a very beautiful evening celebrating our anniversary. Thank you!!!Special Features:
- I had the lamb chops, excellentGloryaDined on 6/21/2012I had the lamb chops, excellent and prepared medium rare as I asked.My husband had the salmon He requested it medium rare but it was overdone.Special Features:
- DissappointingkandcVIPDined on 6/3/2012We go every year we visit the resort - very hit or miss. Menu always seems promising and some items are real hits while others are dissappointing. Over the years the staff has always lacked the training for the level of service expected at such an establishment. Management never seems to be present.Special Features:
- Dinoing in the Grand Old StyleMongoDined on 5/28/2012The River Room was absolutely great. Fine food, great view and ambiance,friendly and super service.Couldn't ask for more. Well worth the price.Special Features:
- Great service!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/17/2012The manager, Barbara, made sure that our group lunch meeting went well. The service was wonderful, the food was very good and reasonably priced. They were quite accomodating of our large group and made special arrangements for us to have our meeting outdoors on a gorgeous day. I would highly recommend dining at The River Room.Special Features:
- The food was disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/12/2012The food was disappointing and the River Room had a run down feeling with no ambiance. The prices are crazy expensive for mediocre food. Neither my wife or myself enjoyed the meal and will never waste our hard earned money at this dive again.Special Features:
- The River Room is a wonderful placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/12/2012What a fine establishment! Outstanding location. Lovely views of the Delaware River. Next time, I'm bringing my golf clubs!!Special Features:
- Disappointing food - the bestdiningoutVIPDined on 4/14/2012Disappointing food - the best thing about the meal was the preparation of the meat entrees. Appetizer was misleading (I would never call mushrooms on dry rolls gougeres!) and the risotto was a heap of overcooked, sticky rice. Also, diners should be aware that this is a golf resort and happy golfers are NOISY golfers. Next time, I'll stick to the brewpub at the same resort.
- We enjoyed the Easter Buffet;OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/8/2012We enjoyed the Easter Buffet; the setting was relaxing and quiet. The tables were far enough apart that we could easily hold a conversation without having to raise our voices. Several of us thought that the salmon, ham and the salads were excellent. We have a few suggestions, though. For next year, may we suggest that little red potatoes be added as an alternative to mashed potatoes with leeks? And, please consider adding a different type of roll or bread? The soups did not go over too well at our table, and the pies were okay but not spectacular. Still, this was a very good dining experience and we would highly recommend it. An outstanding value, too!Special Features:
- The food was very good andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/17/2012The food was very good and the view of the golf course was a plus. The server Jose was excellent.Special Features: