The River Rat
5301 Highway 557
Lake Wylie, SC 29710Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
The River Rat
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: 8038315455x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly: 4:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: On site or off site, The River Rat has it.
- Private Party Facilities: Join us in our large banquet rooms for your next event! We are able to seat up to 200 people in our private dining rooms with the option to block off half the room. On site catering, a set menu, you name it! Contact us to book your next event!
- Private Party Contact: Roy Randazzo 8034121174
A word from The River Rat
Established in 1979, we have re-opened and revamped in 2014! We decided to stick with the same name, The River Rat, and bring back the place everyone used to love! Specializing in seafood, steaks and more, we are proud to add this staple to our list! Thank you so much for viewing our page!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The River Rat - Best Restaurants in Lake Wylie ›
The River Rat reviews from OpenTable diners
12 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance2.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (3)kid-friendly (2)fit for foodies (1)good for groups (1)neighborhood gem (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Fish CampSheareeVIPDined on 9/4/2014I was xcited to hear it re-opened. But now that I've dined here again, I can see how I might not have noticed when it did close. For a week day it was a very long ride-1hr to be precise. Yes, we walked right in with reservations. But the place was pretty empty. Wouldn't have been a pblm without. The menu seems smaller than I remember. The food was okey. Not really anything to get excited about-fish camp quality. The portions are still fairly large. The service how ever was superb. Everyone was very attentive to our needs. So I'll have to keep the place in mind when in the area.Special Features:
- Eh....LuvfinefoodDined on 8/30/2014This is a new restaurant with the name of an old favorite. The food was good. However, the service was awful! The waitress was utterly incompetent. The only thing she got right was the food orders, but she had no idea who had what. When we were first seated she came over 3 separate times to tell us she had to finish up with another table first. 30 min for bread & drinks. We were a party of 6, so she proceeded to discuss in detail how she was going to divide the checks. Drinks were served piecemeal as were the appetizers. The checks were wrong, despite the fact that one of us spent 10 minutes trying to help her figure them out. No offer of dessert or coffee. She kept trying to engage in conversations. We simply couldn't leave fast enough.
- Need a new chefOPTIMISTICALDined on 8/29/2014My red snapper was overcooked and dry and it was one of the "specials". Our food had little or no taste. At their prices this restaurant should be at least memorable. They have the location. They have the facility. It just is not memorable. When the waiter is the most remembered part of the experience, and the restaurant is less than half full they need to go back to the drawing board.
- Not the same river ratlovetheoldDined on 7/19/2014server was very nice. the good though lacked in many ways. our fish came out dry and tasted frozen. we asked for the steaks to be blackened and the were not when they came out. the server took them back and the cook thru seasoning on them and sent right back out. we found the good to be overpriced for what you are getting. the old river rat was good food at a good price
- Second time therelakeratDined on 7/19/2014This was my second trip to the new River Rat. The food and service has was good both times. I typically eat seafood and my husbands likes the Prime Rib. There was surprising a lot of children there this time. I'm not sure if there was a large family event going on or if this is typical, not that it caused any problems. I rated the ambience a three because there are no booths, the floors are tile, and in one section the lights are very bright. I miss the booths and the low lighting for a special night out or a romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definately not the old "Rat"MeliBDined on 7/18/2014I must say on a positive, we received great service and the steaks were good. However, the Apps were overdone (skewered shrimp), terrible wine list offerings and I can't get past the cheap tables and chairs in the dining areas. If not for the great service we received from our server Nate, I probably wouldn't give it a second chance. But if the next time we go, the interior doesn't improve, no matter how good the food is, we won't be back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slightly DisappointedGaryLoveDined on 7/5/2014Online reservations easy to use. Table waiting on our arrival. Hostess over-zealous. Asked us to sit at bar while waiting on our table. Scam to run up our bill? Maybe. Table dirty when we got to it. Hostess wiped it off. Waitress quickly came to us, took our drink orders, brought our drinks and bread, and told us about the night's specials. I ordered ribs, and the waitress said that the price of the ribs was higher than what was posted on the menu. Really??? This place has only been open for just over a month. You'd think there wouldn't be any changes this soon, and that the costs had been more accurate. Food was actually pretty good, but a bit pricey. Manager spent a few minutes talking to us. Very friendly. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Closed despite having reservationRobertDined on 6/15/2014The River Rat was closed when we arrived for our confirmed reservation on Open Table. Please update your communication.
- WylieDined on 6/13/2014I was pleasantly surprised that the food and service was as good as it was since the restaurant had only been open for a week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 0 reviews are from the The River Rat reviews archive.