The River House
101-8 Mission Avenue
Saint Albert, AB T8N 1H4Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
The River House
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.riverhousedining.com/
- Phone: 7804582232x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday 10 AM - 2 PM
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday 11 AM - 2 PM
Dinner: Monday - Saturday 5 PM - 9 PM
Sunday 5 PM - 8 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Vegetarian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Steve Brochu
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, BYO Liquor, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We are available for off premiss catering. We strive to offer you a personalized catering experience with quality food your guest will be delighted with. For more details please contact us and we can discuss your unique event in more detail.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer both our rooms for private dining depending on the party size. Please contact us for more detail and we will be happy accommodate your needs and taylor your event specific to you. We look forward to working with you.
- Private Party Contact: Riverhouse 7804582232x
A word from The River House
Here at The River House we are all about bringing in the New! New Owners, New Chef, New Renovations, New Menu and a New Attitude to make your experience one you will remember. We pride ourselves in having a unique menu offering bold flavours and local products whenever possible. Our newly renovated room is contemporary, relaxed and is the only restaurant in St. Albert overlooking the Sturgeon River. Join us in our wine bar and sit back on the couches next to the fire with a smooth aged Scotch or a tantalizing wine. Whether it is amazing eats, delicious drinks, or vibrant atmosphere, the River House is sure to leave you satisfied and hungry to return for more. We look forward to serving you soon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The River House reviews from OpenTable diners
6 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelQuiet
notable wine list (5)romantic (3)neighborhood gem (3)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (2)special occasion (2)fit for foodies (1)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/27/2014Had business lunch. Perfect spot sitting on the deck. Food & Service were spectacularSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointinggawaDined on 6/6/2014We've eaten at this restaurant several times. The ambiance is wonderful for a quiet dinner and the service very friendly. This visit, however, we found the menu a little lacking. We love to try new foods and have varied taste preferences however we both had difficulty finding anything appealing on the menu. The food we selected was fine but not special as we've had in the past. This could be just a single experience so I would recommend trying it to others though.Special Features:
- A quaint dining findGeoEdwDined on 6/4/2014This was our first visit to the River House after passing it many times and wanting to give it a try. We went on a special occasion and found the restaurant to be a nice size (ie not too big) and on our arrival not busy. We had a reservation and were sat down right away. The service was outstanding is that they were available when needed but never over imposing and in the way. The menu is small but varied and neither my wife or I had trouble finding something to eat. I had the Beef Short Rib, I found the meat to be OK, but the Jus was great, the accompaning vegtables were very good, my wife had the Halibut and found it to be extremely good, everything about it. We will come back for special occasions.Special Features:
- The following 138 reviews are from the The River House reviews archive.
- River house trashLuv2dineandwineDined on 5/31/2014It looks amazing from the outside, but would not recommend it! There's about ten things you could choose from the menu, and it's very pricey. I had a small "strawberry tequila" drink that was $17! I couldn't believe it! Don't go here! Not worth your money. There's much better restaurants
- Give this place time to growGolfergirlDined on 5/30/2014The food was excellent and the service was great. It needs to decide a theme, casual, fine dining? Table cloths and candles would help for evening dining. We would go again in a heartbeat. I look forward to the a River House finding its identity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrating SundayMisspiggyDined on 5/25/2014On the spur of the moment we decided to go out for Sunday dinner and are we glad we did!! Had not paid a visit to the River House for atleast 4 years even though it's right in our backyard. Food was lovely, fresh & imaginative. Great wine list.We'll be back sooner next time!Special Features:
- Birthday celebration dinnerThomasDined on 5/24/2014I ordered roses through the Open Table link. They were waiting at our table when we arrived and they were beautiful. The staff was excited anticipating our arrival because of the roses. Not to be out done, the entire dining experience was awesome; the food was excellent and service was great! We will return and would recommend to our family and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful anniversary dinnerDivacarolDined on 5/23/2014We arrived and were seated at a lovely table, when we noticed that there was an outdoor dining area. Our server Erin had no problem moving us to a table outside. We had the cheese scones and crab cakes for appetizers which were both delicious, and we both chose the rib eye steak for dinner which was cooked PERFECTLY! it literally melted in your mouth. Dessert was chocolate terrine which was chocolate and peanut butter... I am diabetic and actually broke my "one bite" rule for dessert. All in all a wonderful evening, great food, excellent service. Will definitely recommend to friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow. Nice surprise!JohnRudolphVIPDined on 5/22/2014I've eaten at most of the best places in town both in Edmonton and Vancouver and a few cities in Europe. River house can take its place at the top of the list for food quality and imaginative presentation. It's not the trendiest looking place and the interior is a bit tired but that adds to the experience because you xeon;t get the feeling that they are trying to wow you with the decoration to make up for average food. Eat here. It's our own little hidden gem and it'll save the time and expense of driving onto Edmonton for food that probably isn't as good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not disappoint!CheatmealDined on 5/21/2014It had been a few years since we'd dined at riverhouse grill. The food was still as good as we'd remembered. The chef ensured each meal was beautifully appointed and cooked to our liking. The new decorating was modern yet still cozy. The prices were on the high side but well spent. We had a group of seven for a birthday celebration and everyone enjoyed their meal. I would highly recommend the riverhouse for a most enjoyable evening and will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu /foodmenuintregueDined on 5/20/2014It was as delightful to read the menu, as it was to experience the food! Reading the combination of ingredients on a dish certainly invites one to be bold and adventuresome! My choices, Beet and Cauliflower: Roasted Beets / Cauliflower Puree & Chips / Candied Wasabi / Goat Cheese / White Chocolate, And Beef Short Rib, Soy Lime Jus / Snap Peas / Mashed Potato / Green Apple Puree was excellent. Finished off with Rhubarb Crumble that was refreshing. Our waitress was very pleasant and good sense of humour! A delightful evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- curl1golf2Dined on 5/20/2014Our ladies group celebrated a birthday lunch which was very enjoyable. The food was fantastic, the seating arrangement was perfect, and we stayed as long as we liked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will go back.ShelbyDined on 5/18/2014I was expecting the restaurant to be a quieter venue than it was, but the food was wonderful and we will certainly be going back again. I will note that we did dine fairly early and maybe a later dining time would have been a different type of patron.Special Features:
- excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/18/2014We have been for supper but this was our first time here for brunch. The food was wonderful, just as the supper menu is. Service was excellent. Our guests from out of town were very impressed with the look of the restaurant as well as the quality of the meals. I think we have a new favorite brunch place and look forward to days when the weather is warm enough to eat outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfulLuv4crabcakesDined on 5/15/2014Food was slow to come as only one server. There were us and 4 other people in the restaurant. I ordered the crab cakes and they were nicely dishes out and were so good. My partner ordered soup and chicken wrap. Presentation was plain not pretty. Don't care for it next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/13/2014I booked online, easy. Didn't really look too much into it and was pleasantly surprised with the decor, the comfort, the view, the staff, and the food was great. I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad...EssieDined on 5/11/2014I don't think The River House was prepared to be busy. We had a reservation for 6 for Mother's Day Brunch. The service was very slow at first, taking far too long to get our drinks, and then our food. Everyone loved their food, except all of our breakfast potatoes were ROCK hard. I mentioned this to the server, and she offered to have new ones made for us, but by that time we were done our meals, and we decided not to get new ones. I give this experience a 3/5 because of the slow service, and potatoes. We would go back again however and try it on a normal day, just to see how it goes!Special Features:
- Another great brunch!CRUISERDined on 5/11/2014Love the renovations - nicely done. Food is great and service is always friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerDinDinDined on 5/9/2014Nice environment but the food portions were small.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/2/2014Wanted to have a quiet dinner and this was achieved. Riverhouse had been a favorite place to visit and our recent experience has up held our choice this being our favorite places to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deelishbenfica78Dined on 5/1/2014Great little place, simple but tasty menu. Wife had the Halibut and was very fresh! Edmonton market is not one for fish but from a background of when fish was usually on the dinner table, this was very good. I had the Hunter Steak and that was cooked very well with plenty of flavour. Mussels as an appy was quite delicious, just wish they put more sauce in the bowl for dipping as that was incredible flavour. I'll be back :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedLocalSchmoDined on 4/30/2014We came to River House Grill this week because we had a great experience in July 2013. I wish I could say that this visit was a repeat of the last. For the price of the meals, we were disappointed with the food. I typically order my steaks to be cooked rare as most restaurants tend to over cook them. The rib-eye steak that was ordered as rare was not cooked evenly. On one end, it was almost raw and at the other end, it was closer to medium. So, on average, it was rare. My wife said the halibut was OK. It was at this point that I found out that neither salmon or halibut (the 2 fish choices on the menu) are amongst my wife's favourites. Other species of fish on the menu would be appreciated. Fair rating reflects importance of food quality.Special Features:
- Nice experienceve6daveDined on 4/27/2014We decided to head to the River House to celebrate our anniversary, it was a good choice. Right from the time that we entered they met us by name, seated us, and saw to our needs. The menu is short but has choices for everyone desiring a culinary experience. The halibut with 64° jalapeño mushroom sauce was spectacular as was the hangar steak. Both dishes married unique flavors that set the dishes apart from your ordinary steak or fish. The chocolate peanut butter terrine, in a word fantastic! Peanut butter soil with embedded pop rocks brilliant! We will be back! We are looking to create more special days just to celebrate at the River House.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great mealKiwibirdDined on 4/26/2014Glad to see new and innovative ideas on the menu. We all tried something different and had compliments for it all. Service was as usual great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh foodslo722VIPDined on 4/26/2014love the fact that they use fresh ingredients for food, what i meant is that the crab cake i had, they used real and fresh crab meat, it was awesome, and i had the halibut for main course, it wasnt dry, very tasty, very satistied the way they cook the fish. maybe a little short stuffs though, service is a little slow, but it has a very nice view, and the reno is very special in there, kinda take it even slower than usual.Special Features:
- Easter Sunday brunchdinerDined on 4/20/2014We have had wonderful food and special dining experiences at The River House for dinner. We were a little bit disappointed that the food was not quite as high a standard for Easter Sunday. We have not written them off - we will reserve again, but probably for dinner.
- AwesomeGr8foodDined on 4/20/2014Best food best service we've ever had in all our years of dining out. Look forward to doing lunch and dinner thereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, flavorful, savory food!Gr8BreakfastDined on 4/20/2014The food was absolutely great, not one complaint, not one thing that could be done better, very good! Wait staff was also very friendly but a bit preoccupied with one another with lots of conversation and milling about the bar. The manager stopped at our table at one point and was very thoughtful to bring our daughter's meal ahead of time. He was very friendly and professional. All in all a good experience and we would go again. Did I mention absolutely great food?!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BreakfastbrekkieDined on 4/20/2014Our family has a new favourite Sunday breakfast spot ... The River House! It's quiet, inviting and friendly, not to mention, delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary in style2loversDined on 4/15/2014We recently celebrated our 36th wedding anniversary at the River House, and every aspect of our dining experience was top notch. The dining room has flexible seating on luxurious leather, and the decor is tasteful and elegant. The music was ideal for us, and the volume allowed quiet conversation. The service provided by Merissa was polished and cheerful. The short ribs and rib-eye steak were perfectly cooked by chef Steve, and very flavourful. Our (organic) wine choice was superb; and the creme brulee and chocolate terrine - WOW! Steve visited our table to answer any questions, then gave us a jar of his special Pepper Sauce AND the recipe for it! It's wonderful to have a restaurant of this caliber right where we live.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu Changeover?Edutainer53Dined on 4/15/2014When we booked the River House Grill for our anniversary dinner and reviewed the on-line menu we were really anticipating a great meal of our choice. When we arrived we were informed that our evening was the 'last night for the Winter menu' and that two items (the items that my wife and I wanted) were not available. What was even more surprising was that they would not make the new menu available. Although our meals were still very good... the service excellent and the usual ambiance was very much enjoyed, this was the major fly in the ointment. All other aspects of the evening were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantHungryDined on 4/13/2014This is a great restaurant with a great view along the river and really unique cuisine. Nice for small groups and for couples. Very convenient reservation system.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceMaggieMaeDined on 4/8/2014I have had the chance to attend two meals at this location and found the food choices interesting and unusual. Both times the food was great, and the serving staff was very accomodating, and friendly. I have alread recommended to several different people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Two thumbs up for the River HouseOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/5/2014Had dinner for a birthday party on Saturday night. Not only was the chef sensitive to good allergies he created a special birthday dessert on a plank that accommodated eceryones special needs ! Food was delicious, portions just the right size . Definitely a place to check out !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday BrunchCarolynDined on 3/29/2014Went for a Saturday AM Brunch and loved it! Prices were great and the food was outstanding. We will definitely be back. It was quiet on Saturday but I understand Sundays can be very busy so make sure you have a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- thoroughly enjoyed the food,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/28/2014thoroughly enjoyed the food, waitress & atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mom's BirthdayCarolynDined on 3/25/2014Out for a nice supper for my Mom's birthday. It was a lovely evening and was great choice for a quiet celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dinner!lovinlife77Dined on 3/23/2014Riverhouse never disappoints when it comes to the food. Excellent prime rib, crab cakes and home made soups. We have been going to the Riverhouse for romantic birthday dinners for a couple years now. The restaurant is fairly small and open with tables very close together. It is difficult to have a quiet romantic dinner here. It would be nice to see a section created just for a romantic dinner. The other day there were only a few couples in there and my fiance and I were seated right beside a group of 4. Our chairs touched - this is how close we were. We asked to move as there was hardly anyone there. This request was accommodated with no problem, however, it is still not really set up for a quiet romantic dinner. Food is amazing though!Special Features:
- River House reviewMichelleDined on 3/13/2014The food presentation was creative and the food quality was amazing. The beef short rib melted like butter with every fork cut. The foie gras was the best I've tasted. The smoked olives created a very interesting flavour to this shareable appetizer. Staff were friendly and accommodating. I will be back!Special Features:
- Great brunch in St. AlbertOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/9/2014We'd almost forgotten about this gem of a restaurant. We were often scared to bring our kids there when they were younger, because it is more refined dining. We had a great time for brunch on Sunday. It was a really excellent brunch. The food was great, the servers were friendly and it was overall a nice time. And they had good, reasonably priced kid options too. We won't stay away so long again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.