The Ritz-Carlton Grill
100 Carondelet Plaza
Clayton, MO 63105Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Ritz-Carlton Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ritzcarlton.com/
- Phone: 3148636300x433
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 6:00-9:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 6:00-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Azhar Mohammad
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
A word from The Ritz-Carlton Grill
The attentive staff of The Grill invites you to a truly unique dining experience where traditional elegance meets contemporary flair. Surround yourself in a chic atmosphere of dark mahogany walls, art deco paintings with illumination and warmth from our Italian marble fireplace. Explore wines from different continents while indulging your palette with seasonally inspired cuisine. Whether your evening out is casual or elegant; The Grill and its welcoming ambiance, superb cuisine and attentive service will make an everlasting impression.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Ritz-Carlton Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (12)fit for foodies (10)romantic (10)notable wine list (7)good for groups (3)hot spot (2)neighborhood gem (2)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Fabulous dining in st. LouisU4ICDined on 10/25/2014We had a wondeful meal. It's a beautiful room and combined with great food and wondeful service it's a top place to dine in St. Louis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality foodemily123Dined on 10/18/2014We enjoyed the excellent quality of food we experienced at the Ritz-Carlton Grill despite the long wait.Special Features:
- WAY TO CELEBRATE ANNIVERSARYViv1070Dined on 10/10/2014We have been going to Ritz-Carlton Grill for our Anniversary for many years. What a special treat this year, change in menu. Must have a new Chef who is amazing!!! Started with wine and cheese appetizer followed by Clam chowder soup. Soup was so perfect didn't need to add salt or pepper. Infact, there wasn't a salt and pepper shaker on the table. Dinner was steak and mushrooms on a salt block with black mushroom truffle oil to place on block. This is an excellent idea as you are finishing up cooking your steak. Steak on salt block was amazing!! Followed by Baked Alaska which was a little "too different" not bad just not what I am use to. AMAZING & NEW!!Special Features:
- Wonderful Dinner!MidwestfoodieVIPDined on 9/27/2014We had a wonderful dinner - the cheese plate was fabulous, the fish dishes we chose were terrific and the baked alaska dessert was to die for. We also enjoyed sampling the many different olive oils they offer. We will definitely return!Special Features:
- OutstandingPerfectVIPDined on 9/26/2014Wonderful meal, great service - what else can I say? It's the Ritz! Head Chef makes the rounds and also makes the evening.Special Features:
- DodoDodoDined on 9/23/2014We enjoyed the steak on the salt brick and the steak was very good. We also enjoyed the look of the Grill, great wood. Our server Zeffie was very knowledgable and a great help.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014We went to the Grill to celebrate our 20th anniversary. Amazing! We had the 3 course tasting dinner. It includes a shared appetizer, 2 entrees (each get to pick a side), and a shared dessert. We started with the Barbeque Shrimp. Delicious smokey flavor. I had the strip steak and my wife had the filet. The filet comes out on a heated salt block. Melt in your mouth good! Next time I'll be ordering that. With your steak you can request a peppercorn sauce, bearnaise sauce, or a variety of infused oils. We had the peppercorn sauce which was outstanding. We tried several of the infused oils but weren't wowed. For dessert we shared the profiteroles. Good not great. Service was outstanding, romantic ambiance, overall a wonderful evening. Thank You!Special Features:
- Skip itHollyDined on 9/10/2014The room is old and outdated with no windows. You can smell cigar smoke the entire time you are eating from the adjoining cigar room. The chef is very nice and the food was good but it was too hard to taste due to the overpowering smell of cigars. Kind of gross.
- Amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/6/2014We absolutely loved our dinner at the Ritz-Carlton Grill- the food and service were top-notch. A bit quiet as it was an older clientele, but we had a lovely meal and are already looking forward to our next dinner at The Grill.Special Features:
- Expensive, SmokyGailGDined on 8/22/2014The food at the Grill was very good, however, it was overpriced and the cigar bar next door made the entire dining room very smoky. Not a good choice if you don't like cigar smoke. The entire Ritz Carlton lounge and dining areas are in the basement level and very dark. Not nearly as nice an ambience as other restaurants in the area, including Pastaria, Cafe Napoli and Modesto on the Hill. All are much better atmosphere and more reasonably priced.
- terriblejohn12345678910Dined on 8/2/2014The food was good, but not exceptional. The main problem was that the cigar bar was next door and the smoke was pervasive in the restaurant. This needs to be fixed. It detracted immensely from the experience. The wine expert was very helpful in our wine selection.Special Features:
- Perfect Romantic Date Night LocaleDaveDined on 7/30/2014The Grill at the Ritz is under appreciated, probably because there are so many fine places to eat in Clayton. The good news is that it makes for a quiet romantic evening in tasteful surroundings. The Grilled Medjool Dates with double-smoked bacon, Cambozola and roasted hazelnuts were simply the best starter I've eaten anywhere this year. Chef Damien checked in with us and convinced us to try the dates. Great reco. Braised Pork is succulent with a delicious and spicy side of bbq sauce is perfect for dipping. The steak on salt block with infused oils was uniquely wonderful. One small criticism: All of the staff kept asking if everything was all right and it was becoming almost funny. We started looking away when they walked by!Special Features:
- The following 157 reviews are from the The Ritz-Carlton Grill reviews archive.
- Jury is still outnotafoodieDined on 6/15/2014There were gnats flying all around the hotel and the Grill.Special Features:
- Dinner at the GrillDrDaveDined on 5/31/2014We have seen several versions. The latest is more casual with a shorter menu. We dined on a Saturday evening and many empty tables were present. The online menu did not match the actual menu but we found many items to choose from. The service was pleasant and not obtrusive. I had Cajun shrimp with grits with was excellent but a spoon (not provided) would have been helpful. My wife had a Caesar salad which was off the menu but very good and generous. She had a pasta dish with pesto which was decadent but covered in too much raw spinach. I had grouper which was cooked perfectly as was the broiled asparagus. Portions were generous and the planned desert was not to be. The only negatives were fumes from the cigar bar next door.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stale smokeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/10/2014Because of the cigar bar next door, this restaurant had a lingering odor of smoke which was quite strong. We stayed and ordered two salads, one with chicken and one with crab meat. I specifically asked if the chicken would be fresh-grilled and was told it would be. The chicken might have been fresh-grilled at an earlier time, but it was refrigerator cold on the ends and not the least bit warm......... Other restaurant closed because they were getting it ready for Mother's Day (the next day). Didn't know until after lunch that we could have ordered same menu in the lobby, which did not have the smokey smell.............
- Beautiful space. The foodBagpopsVIPDined on 3/1/2014Beautiful space. The food was quite good. What made it special was the personnel. The hostess, waitress, busboy, manager and cook could not have been nicer and really made it an excellent dining experience.Special Features:
- We ate on a Living SocialtennisVIPDined on 2/26/2014We ate on a Living Social Deal. It was fantastic! Great food and great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impeccable ServicejimnkathyDined on 2/6/2014The Grill provides a dining experience one expects at a Ritz Carlton. Wonderful food, attentive service, and luxurious surroundings make this the perfect "special occasion" place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome experiencechocolateloverDined on 1/25/2014My 15 year old daughter has been talking about eating at the Ritz for about a year. Not sure where she got the idea. Although we eat out a lot, we normally go to places like Red Lobster, Joe's Crab Shack, Olive Garden, etc. So, this year for her 15th birthday she requested to go here for dinner with 3 of her best friends. I reserved a table to 4 for them to sit at and a table for 2 for my husband and me. It was a perfect night. It was a Saturday night and for some reason we were the only guests for about 30 minutes. The food was a little pricey but we knew that when we made reservations. The staff was very friendly and made sure we were well taken care of. The girls and my husband all had the steak and thought it was fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ritz Grill's Christmas Dinner BAD!Dancer1Dined on 12/25/2013The ambiance of the walnut paneled walls and chandeliers is wonderful and the service was very good! FOOD for four persons: The squash soup was very tasty but lukewarm; the fabulous demi glaze sauce for our entree' of prime rib did not mask the meat's tough and overdone qualities. This was a HUGE disappointment and embarrassment. The 85 y/o gentleman who ordered turkey ate every bite of his tender meal. We sawed at the meat and pushed it around but were unable to eat the prime rib. If we had not been guests of an 85 y/o gentleman we would all have returned our entrees and requested a refund.Special Features:
- The grill ritz CarltonEatingout2Dined on 12/11/2013In the past we have we have enjoyed this restaurant but this evening it could not have been worse. The service was slow tO point of being ignored. Food when finally came was no good although my wife's steak was ok. Not sure we will do this again. The whole experience was very low end! It's very disappointing to see this facility become mediocre.
- Lovely eveningDianaDined on 12/5/2013My husband and I had a wonderful quiet dinner with the best service in the hotel. The food was excellent. The filet was like butter and the sauce divine. We liked that it was quiet and not a noisy bustling restaurant for a change.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- From the butternut squashl2eoVIPDined on 11/28/2013From the butternut squash soup to start through the crème brulee to finish, each dish was prepared and presented with utmost care. All were delivered in a timely fashion by caring and considerate servers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Naked LuxeDD99VIPDined on 8/24/2013Gone are the days when you could get sole meuniere filleted tableside and wash it down with Clos blanc de Vougeot. Today, a scant menu features essays in butter and salt, while a frivolous wine list oozes overpriced Costco specials. "Textures in Corn" offers overcooked scallops in an ocean of butter. Blackened grouper is ruinously overcooked and oversalted. Ditto the overhyped cauliflower. The selling points here are quiet, spaciousness, elegance, and convenience for those staying at the hotel. Definitely not the food or the wine,both of which are done far better elsewhere in StL.
- Relaxing eveningcarmaeDined on 8/24/2013Nice to relax in a quiet and beautiful room feeling that all of our requests were taken care of with much graciousness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious SteaksKReneeDined on 8/21/2013We always dine at least one time in the Grill Room when we stay at the Ritz Carlton St. Louis. The food is delicious and perfectly prepared. The only down note is that it is adjacent to the cigar lounge. The lounge is of course sealed off from the dining space but due to the adjacency some of the aroma is shared in the dining room. Could be offensive to those turned off by cigars. Otherwise the service and food cannot be beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All's well that ends wellOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2013We celebrated our wedding anniversary here. We arrived early and were seated at a very comfortable table. The moment we arrived we noticed this funky cigar smell. It was very distracting and caused us to have a poor initial reaction. Once the servers came we were able to move past the smells. The service was exceptional, the food was superb (especially the sauces), and the evening turned out to be delightful. We enjoyed the (French press) coffee with the complimentary butter cake and fruit. They really need to move the cigar room.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/20/2013My wife and I had a nice stay at The Ritz but we're a bit disappointed in the food we had for dinner. While her scallops we're pretty good, my steak was overcooked. If I wasn't playing "good steak" price, I wouldn't have been so disappointed. The chocolate lava cake we had in the lounge/lobby bar was also just okay. Again, overall a very nice experience.Special Features:
- Ban small childrenDrSkipDined on 7/6/2013We had dinner on a Saturday night. It was a special occassion. Looking at other patrons, I would say that they were there for the same reason. Everyone was dressed nicely. So who comes in? a family of 4 in flip flops with 2 screaming children under the age of 5. Everything was perfect except for them. Why on earth doesn't the Ritz ban children under 10 for Saturday night dinners? Even some restaurants at Disney World ban them! The family should have benn directed to the bar area. Parents get 85% of the blame, the Ritz gets a 15% share.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine diningIndydinerVIPDined on 7/4/2013It is the Ritz. Fine dining and service is to be expected and we were not disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Daddy-daughter date at the RitzKeithDined on 6/7/2013I took my 5 year old daughter for a special date, and the team at The Grill made it a life time memory for us both. The genuinely warm hospitality, professionalism, and highly functioning team collaboration of the staff was unlike any dining experience I've had in St. Louis. I made no special request of the restaurant, but upon our arrival a complementary bottle of sparkling grape juice was delivered to our table and we had a visit from the executive chef. After dinner, we were given a guided tour of the kitchen and my daughter was warmly greeted by everyone she met. My daughter received a chef's hat and apron decorated and signed by more than 15 staff members. And a few gigantic Ritz cookies to cap off the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is fair, very expensive.SmasonDined on 5/25/2013The food was just OK. My lobster was overcooked...what a disappointment. The steak was fine. The grouper was fair. This restaurant is far too expensive for food that is just OK, and overcooking....not acceptable.
- NICE PLACE TO EATSOCKODined on 5/25/2013BEAUTIFUL DINING ROOM AND EXCELLENT BUT PRICEY MEALS/ SERVICE EXCEPTIONALSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/25/2013We eat at The Grill a few times a year. The menu is always interesting and the food is perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best Birthday Present EverOwenZDined on 5/24/2013I took my girlfriend there for her birthday. She had the 8oz Steak cooked to perfection, my meal also perfect. This is a place I would tell everyone to go to for any time of year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyable evening, butSpecialNightOutDined on 5/11/2013Very enjoyable evening, but quite expensive. Good place to go, but only for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Both the food and the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/30/2013Both the food and the service were outstanding. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- A very nice relaxing dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/22/2013A very nice relaxing dinner! The food was oustanding along with the service.Special Features:
- Superb service and food allOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/8/2013Superb service and food all around. Salmon and toasted cauliflower fabulous. Creme brûlée the best in town. Ditto for Cesar salad. Service very special. Can follow great dining experience in lobby area listening to music and dancing a little. Our favorite find in Clayton and we ate quite selectiveSpecial Features:
- Great food. Even better service. UOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/1/2013Great food. Even better service. Unrecognized treasure.Special Features: