San Francisco, CA 94118Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.therichmondsf.com/
- Phone: 4153798988
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: John Owyang
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Please call the restaurant for details.
- Private Party Contact: John Owyang 415-379-8988
A word from The Richmond
Message from John & Thu Ha: The Richmond is a small family owned restaurant. Our goal is to deliver upscale food and service at neighborhood prices. Since the Spring of 2005, we have created relationships with local farmers and ranchers. The entire Richmond Restaurant family would like to thank our suppliers, and most importantly, our loyal customers for your support. We are proud to have you as part of our small community. Wine Program: Our goal is to offer some of the cheapest "restaurant" wine prices in the Bay Area. We believe most local restaurants take advantage of customers with overly inflated wine prices. My wife and I are committed to selling wine at more than 30 percent below typical restaurant pricing. Our wine list has an emphasis on small local family wineries.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
The Richmond - Best Restaurants in Richmond District ›
The Richmond reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelQuiet
neighborhood gem (32)fit for foodies (25)romantic (16)special occasion (14)notable wine list (8)good for groups (6)great for lunch (1)hot spot (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Hidden gemOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/26/2014The Richmond was a nice surprise. Driving past the restaurant the impression was a bit stark. But after driving around the side streets a few times before u find parking, the experience inside was good from the beginning. Nice quiet private table and a three course meal that hit the straps on all fronts. Service was slow but good for us as we were a group of four meeting after a long time. Overall great little restaurant if you want good food, some nice wines and lot of time to talk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, meh serviceEelskinDined on 8/16/2014Food = very good. Service = spotty. Owner, who also took our order and was very helpful with food allergy issues, spent the night chatting up the 6-person table behind us (we were just 2) and we felt the neglect. Not a deal-breaker, but had mentioned in an email it was our wedding anniversary, and that was not acknowledged at all when we dined. Apologized that I had to ask for a second glass of wine instead of being asked, which was nice. Did not come by to ask how things were during meal. Only maybe 4 tables with guests at the time, so . . .Took ages to bring a simple dish of ice cream. Brought the check. Asked if I had had one or 2 glasses of wine. Took back the check, added the wine, then gave it back to us to pay. Might try again . .Special Features:
- The RichmondJeffDined on 8/9/2014Better then average food. The beef entree was not hot. Service OK, not friendly enough so we were a little uncomfortable. The one item that dragged down the experience was the persona of the chef. He came out to take our order and to check on us. He was seriously INTENSE and didn't smile.
- Old friends reconnecting.BigBlueAlumsVIPDined on 8/7/2014Four work colleagues gathered here to catch up and reminisce. Dinner choices and presentation were fabulous. We appreciated taking our time over dinner. Service was wonderful and the wine the owner recommended was excellent and very reasonably priced. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/2/2014Been wanting to try this place, and finally had a chance during a date night with the hubs. We were the only ones there for our reservations at 5:30pm, but others started arriving at around 6pm. I was looking for a wine recommendation to which the chef personally came to our table to greet us and brought some wine for us to try. We ordered the five course tasting menu. Everything was very good. My favorite was probably the butternut squash soup, which I don't think was even part of the tasting menu, and the scallop from the short rib scallop dish (although the whole dish was good). The hubs doesn't usually like desserts, but he really liked the coffee granita dessert. We enjoyed our meal and plan to be back real soon.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemEloiseDined on 7/31/2014Delicious food, beautiful plating, excellent pairings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gem,Great Tast & ValueLLdinerVIPDined on 7/26/2014We were a party of 5. We ordered the 3 course prix-fix at $29 / per person. All the dishes were very tasty and the portions generous. I had the scallop, short rib appetizer. It could have been an entree. The scallops had a nice crust on the top and was tender inside. The short rib melted in your mouth and was the size of a small filet mignon. My main dish was salmon which was crisp on the outside and moist on the inside. My dessert was a very tasty, refreshing coffee semifreddo. This is the third time I've dined at the restaurant. Will return soon. Everyone else also woo and ahh over each of their meals.Special Features:
- Fantastic restaurantJin94121VIPDined on 7/24/2014I've been going to the Richmond for roughly 8 years and have enjoyed it every time and anxiously await my next visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/19/2014great,quiet,real fresh food. A hidden gem and not the usual dining experienceSpecial Features:
- lenushVIPDined on 7/3/2014Warm, personable service that felt friendly rather than professional, without the usual artifice of "my name is..." We sought a place where we could converse easily and requested a quiet table at a restaurant rated as quiet. We got a table in the window, curtained off with heavy velvet, that was completely private and luxuriously quiet. The menu was slightly quirky, some dishes with an awkward attempt at fusion, but all were competently executed. It offered 3 and 5 course tasting menus even though I'd characterize the food more as comfort than haute. If you're older or hard-of-hearing and are tired of missing part of the conversation even though everyone is shouting, this is the place for you.
- Terrific!GilbertDined on 6/25/2014Our foursome often dine together, but have seldom had a meal where each dish was perfect - every bite. Service was also as good as it gets. Small, family operated, simple and attractive decor - we'll be back in no time!Special Features:
- Spot on!AnderkristenDined on 6/13/2014We had the five course tasting meal and couldn't believe the consistency of quality. There is usually a hit and miss, but every single morsel was sensational! We also paired it with the suggested wines. John is the consummate host and an excellent chef. And the price point was very inexpensive considering what we ate. Our party, who are all city foodies, couldn't believe that we'd never been there, and are looking forward to the next occasion to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood findJulietVIPDined on 6/5/2014The chef personally came out and went over the menu with us. He was really pleasant and it was a great way to feel welcome. The food was delicious and we look forward to returning often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm, welcoming, and tasty!MomoDined on 6/4/2014We love the Richmond. Chef John and his wife are warm and welcoming -the food is beautifully prepared and tasty. the atmosphere is quiet enough for intimate conversations. This is a true neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingGoodservicepleaseVIPDined on 5/22/2014I've eaten at the Richmond many times and always enjoyed it. This time we dealt with a passive aggressive and very rude server. Our reservation was 8:30. I'm guessing we were ordering around 8:45. We were told we had to order our apps and mains at the same time because the kitchen would be closing. Weird, right? I could go on about the server, but rude and awkward sums it up. Not sure I will go back, which is a shame because I live close by.Special Features:
- What a great find!GoodFoodAndOpenTableFanVIPDined on 5/17/2014We decided to explore the Richmond neighborhood last weekend and were absolutely delighted to find this restaurant via OpenTable. We had a simply delightful dinner. If you go, be sure to order the beet salad - it was scrumptious and made special by the addition of cardamom-scented carrot slices. The service was terrific, the place has a cozy feel. We ate on the early side and noticed that all of the tables were full by the time we finished our meal. Clearly, word is out that this a great place!Special Features:
- Very good neighborhood restaurantNameVIPDined on 5/14/2014Second visit in 3 months. On each visit, the owner/chef made the rounds. I like their personality, their willingness to assure you're satisfied, and love the setting and interiors - nothing overdone; simple, inviting, relaxing. We both had the beet salad; good, but not as good as my first visit - slightly bland in flavor. Bread: excellent as was the amuse bouche. Hanger steak was very good (med-rare as ordered), but the vegetables (not overcooked) and the puff pastry (hot! and flavorful) were outstanding! My companion had the pork and pronounced it excellent. He followed with the chocolate dessert and ice cream and wanted another order. An excellent choice if you want a relaxing experience and good/very good food.
- Neighborhood GemummmmmmDined on 5/13/2014John and company are the tops. Food always interesting, clean, and good. One of the best wine lists in town. We just keep going back, again and again. I am so proud to have such a fine dining establishment in our neighborhood. A gem indeed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little neighborhood gem!LjchunDined on 5/8/2014One of our favorites in our neighborhood! Service is good and the waiter recommended a nice bottle of wine to complement our dinner. I actually tried the cheeseburger! It was one of the best burgers ever! Desserts are delicious. Because one of the desserts did not come out when the rest of our parties desserts came out, it was free! Great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 781 reviews are from the The Richmond reviews archive.
- Wonderful MemoriesUSFParentsDined on 5/2/2014A great little spot in the Richmond. We celebrated a reunion of college parents and John gave us the alcove that fit the 9 of us. The food was delicious and well priced. We ordered the salmon, duck, steak and pork and everyone was delighted with their choice. John suggested the reasonably priced red and white wines and we enjoyed several bottles of wine and were told the alcove was ours for as long as we wished. It was a wonderful evening which all of us will remember for a long time. We will certainly come back! The only drawback was the parking but TISF(This is San Francisco)I would recommend this to a friend.
- special placeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/29/2014The Richmond is family run, very personal, very local, very fresh, very humble. Food is excellent. Large portions and not fussy. Great place in a sleepy part of town.Special Features:
- Consistently goodSelli5VIPDined on 4/26/2014Second time we have been here. Both times our dinners were excellent. They start with an amuse bouche (sp.?) that is always a nice touch. Then they bring out delicious bread with three different savory butters that are all really good. Dinner itself for us included a shared Crab cake and spinach salad (not a huge portion but delicious), Salmon with Linguini and clams for me, and Braised Duck for my wife. We thoroughly enjoyed the main courses. I took some of mine home and had it the next day (even better) and really enjoyed it. We shared a warm chocolate, peanut butter torte with Vanilla Bean ice cream. Nice finish to a great meal. We will be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/25/2014We had five course tasting menu with wine pairing.all the courses were superb and the service could not have been better. I highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeMikeG43Dined on 4/12/2014Good food, great neighborhood location, and an elegant , quiet ambiance make this restaurant a hidden gem. We had the tasting menu with wine pairings and it was excellent. It's quite small, looks like it seats less than 30 people at a time. But the menu is creative and delicious. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, not so good serviceKathyDined on 4/12/2014I love the ambiance of this gem in the Richmond. This was my third time there and I took my friends there to celebrate their marriage. The service was very slow. We were almost through our first glass of champagne and still jdid not have bread on the table. We had to ask for it. Our starters were very slow in coming and so did every other course. We noticed the chef came out and spoke with the other tables next to, but did not acknowledge our table...very bad form. Either you come to all the tables or non at all.Special Features:
- Intimate place with great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/11/2014The two front rooms in the old-storefront window are clovered by velvet drapes for great old-world mood and privacy. Waiter was slow to greet us and when he did (ten minutes later), he just walked up and asked what we wanted. He did not communicate very much. Took easilty another 20 minutes to bring our wine. Did not offer bread, but later an amuse bouche appeared (delicious). It continued like this thru the meal -- slow and inattentive I loved everything else, food was great, but the consistently bad service ruined the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THIS IS A GREAT SPOT WITHEnthusiastsVIPDined on 4/5/2014THIS IS A GREAT SPOT WITH AN INTERESTING MENU AND REASONABLE PRICES, AND BEST OF ALL, CONVERSATION IS POSSIBLE! WAITER WAS VERY PROFESSIONALSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and the staffsunsettrippinDined on 4/3/2014Great service and the staff was very attentive and friendly and definitely not over bearing. Would definitely come back again and a few more times after that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerbirthdaygroupDined on 4/2/2014Went here for a girlfriend's birthday. The food is great and the service is outstanding...never had an empty water glass and they gave us our dessert as a birthday gift for the birthday girl! The chef apparently always makes a special appetizer to give complimentary to his guests...we got brie and ham on puff pastry: delicious and so very thoughtful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 minutes late!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/22/2014We have been to the Richmond several times as we live just a block away! Find it to be a nice Nopa alternative (not replacement). Love the Billie Holiday-esque music, the romantic curtains, wine is always good and you know you'll get an above average meal for a reasonable price. We took a couple of friends there to show off our neighborhood gem, and were treated pretty rudely. We made a reservation and arrived late but still within 5 minutes so I held on calling. We got there and the server was extremely rude, mentioned how he didn't know if we would show, and that we needed to order immediately before the kitchen closed. Understood the message, but the extreme attitude at greeting and through service was unappreciated.Special Features:
- An absolute gemOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 3/22/2014This place remains one of our absolute favorite places to eat, esp. if you want a quiet place where you can actually hear each other. The food is incredible and we have loved every one of our meals there.Special Features:
- An Awesome FindFoodie321Dined on 3/15/2014There were 6 of us and we all agreed that we truly enjoyed Richmond - for the value, for the taste, for the ample portions, for the service. We went without any expectation and was pleasantly surprised to find a lovely restaurant so close to home. Parking can be quite a challenge in this neighborhood but we definitely plan on coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unfortunate experienceopentable333Dined on 3/13/2014I took my boyfriend out for his birthday and actually had to apologize for taking him there for his special day. The food was not good and the steak actually tasted funky. The service was disappointing. We like to dine. Take things slow and order as we like. It felt like the waiter was rushing us to order. When we ordered appetizers he told us that we had to order the entree at the same time. I understand that restaurants like to turn tables more quickly but as there was only 2 other tables in the restaurant besides us it didn't seem appropriate. In addition, a restaurant should not make it so obvious that they're trying to turn the tables as it makes the patron feel rushed. I was disappointed and will not go there again.
- Great FindRichardDined on 3/1/2014The Richmond is a terrific gem with excellent food, service and cute ambiance. This was our second visit and we will be back many more times as the food is excellent and the prices below what you would find at comparable restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood Walk and DineOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/21/2014The Richmond is our go to quality restaurant: a post work day evening walk, high quality food, quiet talk, good wine. A neighborhood gem......receiving citywide notice. We came with friends.....8pm reservation.....left at 10pm. John is the Chef and owns The Richmond .......during the evening he walks the tables checking in with diners. The food is always well prepared. The wine list is strong. And the menu changes with enough frequency to keep coming back interesting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely a quaint placeOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/13/2014Definitely a quaint place & food is delicious. Could use some improvement with ambiance. Maybe some candles on the tables. But, overall great romantic spot for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellent!FrugalFoodieVIPDined on 2/11/2014We visit The Richmond several times a year and are never disapointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as AlwaysMillieDined on 2/11/2014The Richmond is a very favorite neighborhood restaurant. Wonderful comfort food and service, and the owners/chefs, are always warm and welcoming, as if you are a guest in their home. Little touches in the sauces and preparation make their dishes sparkle!Special Features:
- A Favorite Go-ToJB16Dined on 1/31/2014We LOVE The Richmond. Food is deliciously prepared, staff is attentive but not intrusive, the wine list is varied but all reasonably priced. The Richmond is our go-to restaurant when we want a "California elegant" meal--scrumptious food without pretension served in an atmosphere that's as hospitable for "jeans-and-a-jacket" casual meal to an "impress-your-inlaws" night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing food this time.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/30/2014I have been to the Richmond many times and usually love it. I have had some great food there. I brought a friend of mine who is a chef because I thought it would be somewhere he would love. Sadly this time the food was a let down. I am hoping it was just an off night.