San Francisco, CA 94118Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.therichmondsf.com/
- Phone: (415) 379-8988
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: John Owyang
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Please call the restaurant for details.
- Private Party Contact: John Owyang 415-379-8988
A word from The Richmond
Message from John & Thu Ha: The Richmond is a small family owned restaurant. Our goal is to deliver upscale food and service at neighborhood prices. Since the Spring of 2005, we have created relationships with local farmers and ranchers. The entire Richmond Restaurant family would like to thank our suppliers, and most importantly, our loyal customers for your support. We are proud to have you as part of our small community. Wine Program: Our goal is to offer some of the cheapest "restaurant" wine prices in the Bay Area. We believe most local restaurants take advantage of customers with overly inflated wine prices. My wife and I are committed to selling wine at more than 30 percent below typical restaurant pricing. Our wine list has an emphasis on small local family wineries.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
The Richmond - Best Restaurants in Richmond District ›
The Richmond reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelQuiet
neighborhood gem (35)fit for foodies (28)special occasion (21)romantic (19)notable wine list (14)good for groups (3)late-night find (1)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Decent food for the priceOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/31/2013We had the tasting menu and most of it was good. I didn't care for a couple of the dishes which could've used some more flavor. The wait staff was attentive but we felt a bit rushed. As soon as they cleared off one plate they already had another one in front of us. What usually is a 2 hour dinner was done in 1 hour.Special Features:
- Warm, comfortable, delightfulMomoDined on 8/19/2013The Richmond is a neighborhood treasure - very good salads, soup and entrees at a moderate price in a quiet, even romantic, white table clothed setting with adequate wine list and chef surprises.Special Features:
- Extremely friendly wait staff.SFFresserVIPDined on 8/5/2013Extremely friendly wait staff. Uniformly and dependably good food, but a menu that is not extremely creative. We've been there many times and are never disappointed.kSpecial Features:
- Oh how we loved itCampbellssfDined on 8/3/2013We can't wait to go back. Food was outstanding, unpretentious and moderately priced. There wasn't a plate at our table that disappointed. Everything was truly delicious. Service was fantastic and came at just the right time throughout our meal. Wine list is brief and well priced. Great neighborhood place where you can have a relaxing, tasty meal. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First trip to the RichmondPirate33Dined on 8/2/2013Very nice place even though quite small. Not loud, food was all reasonably priced and the staff very friendly. I wasn't overly happy with my chicken (it was ok) but I did try the duck and the hangar steak, both were delicious. Highly recommended. Make a reservation or you might not get in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food slow service.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/31/2013Good word of mouth this was worth checking out. 3 stars for the food. lost points for slow slow service. Food was great, well prepared and presented. Wait staff was not good. Seated 8pm 845 asked for bread 850 chefs special little sampling came out 910 salads came out 925 entrees arrived Wait staff was very busy with other customers. felt ignored. Asked for the check when entree came and doggie bagged our dinner to finish at home. May try one more time in the near future, since the food was great. But if service poor again, won't return.Special Features:
- Great EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/26/2013We had a wonderful evening at the Richmond. Everything was perfect. John is a wonderful chef and his staff is very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not at the top yetVerypoorstartDined on 7/26/2013Many aspects of this small neighborhood restaurant are terrific. The service is outstanding. The menu is well formulated, and ambitious. But the quality of the food itself (actual ingredients as well as seasoning) is not yet top notch. Suggestion to the chef: practice more. For patrons who arrive by car, park on Geary St and walk a couple of blocks.Special Features:
- Very special eveningSFOregonianDined on 7/19/2013The tasting menu was an awesome experience, and the wine pairings were perfect. The curtained off table was very romantic. We always enjoy dinner here. We.have enjoyed dinner here a number of other times, but ordering the tasting menu made for a very memorable evening.Special Features:
- My task was to find a restauranttresestadosDined on 7/13/2013My task was to find a restaurant in San Francisco for a Saturday evening dinner with a fraternity brother and his wife. We had not seen each other in almost fifty years! His wife doesn't eat seafood so I needed to find the kind of menu that the Richmond offers. Several reviews had mentioned that the atmosphere was very conducive to conversation and a leisurely dinner, which we found to be quite accurate. My friend complimented me on my choice several times and gosh I felt good! Food, service, and prices were very satisfactory. If your looking for a place to renew an old friendship and just enjoy your out-of town visitors, the food, the wine, and the engaging and friendly staff, the Richmond is my reccomendation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely place. Small menu andRhavenVIPDined on 7/9/2013Lovely place. Small menu and smaller wine list, but beautiful presentation, great service and terrific potentialSpecial Features:
- We love The Richmond! TheNancyVIPDined on 7/5/2013We love The Richmond! The menu is lovely, with something for every appetite....great presentation, great flavors, great service....we are so lucky to have this treasure in our neighborhood! Thank you!Special Features:
- Weird Service, good foodBossmanDined on 7/1/2013The food was good but even the bread came out slow. One entree came out 25 minutes before the other two. Even appetizers took a long time and came out with big gaps. Something strange going on in that place....BIG problems with getting anything on the table much less in any kind of order. When service is this bad, food is not far behind. Is Monday the B-team night?
- An excellent little findEenieADined on 6/27/2013The Richmond is a delightful small restaurant in an otherwise banal neighborhood. I had the Wild Pacific Salmon with oyster mushroom Florentine. The dish was delicious, perfectly seasoned and beautifully presented. My friend had the crispy fried chicken, but because she didn't eat the crispy part and declined the potatoes, I have no idea how the whole dish, as intended, tasted. She was happy with the chicken part. Three flavors of butter with the bread, olive and chive I think ... a charming touch. The amuse bouche was also very nice. The restaurant was exceedingly welcoming and the host staff did their best to accommodate requests for changes in some of the dishes. I'll return for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum YumOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/25/2013This place is one of my favorites in the city and is a place I go if I want to treat myself and/or close friends and family that visit the city. It's AMAZING in every way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great experience again.OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/22/2013Thank you, The Richmond, you all did a fabulous job as usual.Special Features:
- As always - The Richmond isOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/20/2013As always - The Richmond is a perfect spot for delicious, reasonably priced food and drink. Great ambience, wonderful spotSpecial Features:
- Love this placeKarenDined on 6/19/2013This restaurant has a lovely ambience, quiet enough to chat very comfortably, wonderful food and an incredible wine list for staggeringly affordable prices. This is far and away my favorite neighborhood restaurant, and in my top 5 in SF, which is really saying something.Special Features:
- when in RichmonddoogieDined on 6/14/2013The Richmond is a special place for folk who want a quiet, gentle and delicious dining experience. A small tucked in dining space with soft lighting, warm and cozy lighting and decor. Best of all, of course, the attentive warm staff and the outstanding food. A real delight and highly recommended for those seeking a real dining experience that makes possible good conversation and to be fully present.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A sweet neighborhood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/13/2013A sweet neighborhood restaurant with a variable menu. Outstanding braised rib and scallop appetizer, good salmon entree, but NY sirloin steak was a disappointing very fatty cut of beef, despite good preparation and flavor. The staff was attentive and able to be flexible on menu change requests.
- Outstanding foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/12/2013We ate here for our anniversary and had a quite separate table enclosed in curtains. The food was outstanding. I am a vegetarian and was concerned that there were only a few options to try. I don't like carrots and both the amuse bouche and the entree had carrot. But surprisingly I loved both. I had the butternut squash soup that was unbelievable. My entree was listed as onion rings and spring vegetables on Spanish rice. It sounded odd as an entree but I do love onion rings. But man was it good. The onion rings were light and flavorful. The vegetables were cooked perfectly. I have no idea how they made the Spanish rice but it was so much better than any I have ever had. All in all we would go back in a heartbeat. Prices are good too.Special Features:
- Sigh....SaraBDined on 6/10/2013Love this restaurant. A real gem in a neighborhood with very good restaurant options. The four of us marveled at the fact that we could converse in quiet voices and still be heard...so rare at restaurants recently. Service was wonderful. The server did not feel the need to tell us his name, but we couldn't have had more personal, competent service. And every dish was lovely...delicious. Sigh. We don't live in SF so can only go to The Richmond when we visit, but it is definitely on our list for our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/6/2013We had a wonderful family birthday here last week! Very intimate and cozy on a cold Richmond night. Food was great from hanger steak to duck. And appetizers were also very good: the soup, beet salad and sauteed scallops. We are excited to have discovered this neighborhood haunt.Special Features:
- Good, just shy of spectacularVeenaDined on 6/1/2013Overall: Good casual date spot in the Richmond, but wouldn't travel out of my way to get to. The pros: The oxtail was divine, and the duck was great. Nice portions. Cozy atmosphere. The cons: We had multiple servers, but no one cared to explain the dishes to us when they brought them out. As a result, my date and I were left guessing what we were eating. My date was also the one exclusively refilling my wine, so don't expect a full service experience. I had the burger, and the outer edges of the bun were hard, making it difficult to eat and get my mouth around. I ordered medium rare, and it was closer to medium well. The meat was juicy, but could've been more flavorful. In the battle of the SF burgers, NOPA still wins out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best meals Ive had in SFGoodgollyDined on 6/1/2013Fantastic elegant and creative food. We each had different entrees and each was superb. The beet salad was divine. Salmon tender with wonderful flavor. My husband said that his hanger steak was the best he'd ever had. In fact he had hanger steak at an upscale restaurant last week on Russian Hill and the Richmond's steak was far superior. The service was perfect. They didn't rush us and gave us just the right amount of visits. If only parking was easier..my recommendation is to take public transportation or allow x-tra time to drive around the neighborhood and be prepared to walk. Usually you can find parking on Fulton a few blocks away. After the delicious meal the walk to the car was nice. The Richmond is now our go-to place with friends.Special Features:
- PerfectLeviDined on 5/31/2013Loved the atmosphere and the food. Perfect evening and this place will see us again with friends and guests from out of town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingmikesVIPDined on 5/18/2013I dine regularly at The Richmond and have highly recommended it to others and in previous reviews. Had a good friend join us and not anywhere near usual standards. Shouldn't have bothered with amuse bouche, salmon not especially fresh or well prepared, beet salad generous portions but quality not there. Portions as always were generous. Basically ignored by server. My Zagat rating had been in top three in SF, but didn't come close this visit.
- I loved it!ReneeDined on 5/9/2013Try the chicken - it's fantastic. Or the duck, which is cooked perfectly in a great sauce. Or the squash soup. Or the brie combination. Or the coffee semifreddo. Service was attentive but not annoying and the timing of the dishes was perfect. They even accommodated a friend's request for a surprise birthday dessert for us! Unfortunately, even on a Thursday evening, parking was a real challenge!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was my second visit toOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/7/2013This was my second visit to The Richmond within ten days, so it should be obvious that I am a fan. Once again, it did not disappoint. Although the menu is not extensive, it offers enough options to dine there frequently and be able to have something different. Food service is perfectly paced, allowing you to enjoy your meal but not feeling rushed. Perhaps the most appreciated feature for us was that we could carry on a conversation without feeling the need to shout at each other. Although there were people at adjacent tables, we did not hear their conversations either. If only the parking weren't so challenging...but The Richmond is definitely worth the visit.Special Features:
- Fantastic and affordable!MrsHaleyDined on 5/3/2013I found this place thru Zagat. It was a simple two blocks from where we stayed in Inner Richmond. It was affordable, delicious, and beautifully presented food. We loved it and will definitely make a point o return there on our next visit to SF, even if we don't stay in that neighborhood. I highly recommend it!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and service wereOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/3/2013The food and service were great. The only complaint I have is that the decor is a little tired. That is the only thing that would hold me back from going there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/2/2013We really enjoyed the fixed menu with wine pairing. Our server (Rochelle) was wonderful as she described each course and wine pairing beautifully. A special evening at The Richmond.Special Features:
- As good as everOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/29/2013The Richmond continues to be the neighborhood gem we discovered several years ago. The food is well prepared, beautifully presented and delicious. The menu is not extensive, but changes enough to make trying new items possible if you don't want to go with your favorites from last time. The wait staff is very attentive without being overwhelming, and very helpful if asked for an opinion. While this is a small restaurant, each table enjoys its own privacy and it is possible to carry on a conversation without trying to talk over the people around you.Special Features:
- We had a wonderful dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/27/2013We had a wonderful dinner - as usual. We did the tasting menu for the first time ever with the wine pairing. The price for both is terrific and the food was delicious, both the dishes on the menu plus the three (!) amuse bouches. The wine pairing was exceptional.Special Features:
- Food was absolutely stellarOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/20/2013Food was absolutely stellar and a great value. We had the salmon and the duck and tried a couple of the appetizers and a total of three glasses of wine...our bill was under $100. Hard to find this quality for this great price.Special Features:
- Great Service. The Duck wasOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/19/2013Great Service. The Duck was Scrumptious. Cozy and Intimate setting.Special Features:
- Excellent with its own specialties,mickeyDined on 4/18/2013Excellent with its own specialties, good service, nice ambiance. Will return. Great chicken and salmon.Special Features:
- Great RestautrantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/16/2013The Richmond has consistently served us very good food. I have been to this place dozens of times and I never had a bad meal. The prices are great, and the portions, a little too big (but who is complaining?). I highly recommend this place for a romantic dinner. Their bread with 3 different butters is outstanding! The chef is very accommodation and creative, and I love that they substitute the foie gras for sweetbreads. It was a great addition. This place is a gem.Special Features:
- This return visit was anotherLatesummerchickenDined on 4/16/2013This return visit was another delicious, beautifully prepared, and well presented meal. The tasting menu offered perfect proportions of exquisite selections from their careful menu, and the wine pairings were well chosen to compliment each offering. Two amuse-bouche were also samples of other glorious menu choices. This is one of the best restaurants I have ever enjoyed, from here to the other side of heaven which is Paris.Special Features:
- Amazing tasting menu. CuteOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/13/2013Amazing tasting menu. Cute and small place. Really delicious.Special Features: