The Rex Restaurant
2401 Montana Ave
Billings, MT 59101Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $30 and under
The Rex Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.therexbillings.com/
- Phone: 4062457477
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: David Maplethorpe
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Bar and Food catering service. Buffet Style or Full Service.
- Private Party Facilities: Private room for 30 to 100 people. Full bar and Dinner Service.
- Private Party Contact: Pam Listoe 4062457477
- Entertainment: Piano Bar Friday and Saturday Evenings
A word from The Rex Restaurant
The Rex Restaurant serves Certified Angus Beef, Fresh Seafood flown in twice a week, Pasta, Chicken, Great BBQ foods smoked in house daily, burgers, sandwiches and salads. Many appetizers made with fresh ingredients for starters. We have a full service bar with an extensive Wine list. We are in walking distance of the nicest hotels in the downtown area. Located in the Downtown Historical District of Billings.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Rex Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Billings ›
The Rex Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
8 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (3)neighborhood gem (3)romantic (2)notable wine list (2)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)good for groups (1)fit for foodies (1)great for lunch (1)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Always greatChrisDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at the Rex. The food was excellent as was the service. It is, and has been, one of the best restaurants in Billings.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014very enjoyable evening, good food, great staff, price ssatisfactory. would recommend to anyone for a great evening out on the town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceDomesticgoddess86Dined on 7/12/2014Love this restaurant! It is a great atmosphere with amazing food! The flat iron steak was really great. The server took extra time to find us a wine that we enjoyed although my dad did have a fly in his beer and they didn't comp the beer.Special Features:
- DisappointingSusanDined on 6/23/2014Looked lovely when we entered, but took a while to get our drinks. Waitress never offered specials, so I asked. Onion ring appetizer probably best I've had. Salads mediocre and wedge very overdressed. Both prime rib and filet overdone, and food was barely warm. Also, three bites of prime rib went into my napkin due to grizzle. Ribs very dried out, almost inedible. Chicken looked very pink at bone. Took home meat for the dog. Beef stew, ordered by two was okay. Ordered mud pie, delicious. Godiva cake was tasty, but did not have a wet runny center as advertised. Service was a bit slow. Exec. Chef delivered our onion rings, so I know he was there. Overall, disappointing for what is touted as one of the best Billings steakhouses.
- The following 34 reviews are from the The Rex Restaurant reviews archive.
- Good resturant thats underrated.BJdaDJDined on 3/17/2014Been to The Rex a few times and it seems to get better every time I go back. Great food & great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RecommendOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/17/2014I would recommend the REX. Great food. Can get a little noisy if groups are present as they were when we arrived. Service was attentive but not suffocating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- There was 1 server in ourKrisDined on 2/16/2014There was 1 server in our whole area. Wanted to have a nice dinner and drinks before we went to a concert. Took forever to get our drinks/food. Food was poor as was our servers attitude. Asked if he could split our check after our meal and he told us he didn't have time. After we got our check he never even came back to our table. I had to walk up to the bar to pay our bill. Very disappointed.
- Good Neighborhood RestaurantHobbeseyDined on 1/18/2014My wife and I went before a show. We got there at 6:30pm. Service to start was good. Bread, water, wine, appetizer and salad/soup came out quickly. Now we ordered at 6:45 but our meals didn't arrive until 7:30. It was a bit of a rush to eat. I had a NY Strip Steak, it was good, but nothing special. My wife had a good meal as well. It was a good meal, but hoped for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very slowtrvlrDined on 11/22/2013We got seated at 7 and it took 2 1/2 hours for this dinner. This was fine for us on this particular night, but many people don't have this time.. we were glad we didn't have tickets for a show...it was very slow receiving food. The waitress was nice and had no control over this but between salad and main course it was 30 to 40 minutes. The bar looked like the place to be here as they had a piano player. I would recommend sitting in the bar and eating and skip the restaurant.
- Yuckout2eatDined on 9/27/2013We went to the Rex looking for a pleasant evening, with great food. The atmosphere hectic and was that of a poorly run diner with half the staff out, rather than a nice restaurant (which the prices imply) . We waited over a hour for our food while wait people ran from one end of the room to the other. When the food finally came it was cold, poorly prepared and poorly presented- not to mention way over priced. We will not be returning.
- Way below parDatedVIPDined on 8/6/2013The food was not properly prepared by a long shot and when it comes down to it, it's the food. They didn't seem interested in knowing this. I've been here several times before. Each visit is a little less enjoyable then the time before. I don't think I'll go back. If they want to charge 3 or 4 star prices they need to provide 3 or 4 star food and service.
- Nice downtown location. FriendlylovefinefoodDined on 8/4/2013Nice downtown location. Friendly service. Nice outdoor patio except for street noise from passing motorcycles a bit unsettling. Some type of buffer would be nice tho not sure anything can dampen a Harley's throaty voice. Kitchen was slow.Special Features:
- The Best!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2013On a fourteen day trip we made reservations for The Rex Restaurant and were not disappointed. This was the best meal and the best beef of the entire trip. In fact, it was the best beef we had enjoyed in ages. The service was great with recommendations being made from our questions about menu items. If in the area again, we would make sure The Rex Restaurant was a stop for another dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always excellent! I loveOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/28/2013As always excellent! I love the blueberry butter. Will have to try ribs/chicken.Special Features:
- I'd go backDatedVIPDined on 6/18/2013When rating a restaurant, movie play or hotel, the question I need to answer for myself. Would I go back? Yeah, I would. The food was good, the service was great and prices were within reason. We sat outside, there were a bunch of kids (early 20's) having a jam session across the street. They weren't very good, but it was fun to watch them. The set up fro out door dining could be a bit better. The patio furniture was more likely then not designed for home use, only functional. Everything was made there including the bread. Yeah, I'd go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only complaint we had wasOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/29/2013Only complaint we had was the bread. The rest of the food and service was fine.
- My first choice in the BillingsGeorgeDined on 5/16/2013My first choice in the Billings area for the last 25-30 years. I have never needed to apologize to a customer/client due to the quality of service, food etc.
- Went for wedding anniversary.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/23/2013Went for wedding anniversary. Food was great, service was excellent.Special Features:
- The best place in BillingsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/18/2013Mr. Pyburn ALWAYS makes us feel like we are family. We actually haven't ever been to the Rex and NOT had an absolute great time. The staff is phenomenal, food second to none and I always speak highly of the best place in town; The Rex. You guys rock. Thanks so much. J. DavisSpecial Features:
- We went for valentines dayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013We went for valentines day and by the time we got there for our reservations at 8pm they were out of half of the items on their menu. Of course all that was left was the $40 dollar steaks. No chicken left. Our server was nice but really awkward. Quickly came to tell us what they were out of but then took forever to come take our order and answer our questions. He didn't seem super personable. The food was really good and would recommend it someone, just not on valentines day.Special Features:
- Give your review a title (optional)OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/14/2013As with many restaurants, the appetizers, soup, salad, etc. were great. Main course, well that took a turn. Ordered a medium rare steak and it came out medium well. Service was slow due to no fault of the waitress. She had the entire area to herself perhaps due to it being Feb 14th and she just had too many tables to stay on top of it. Overall, we love the restaurant in terms of ambiance, just understand that this a great neighborhood place with decent, not great food.Special Features:
- Business Man's Steak DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/12/2013Excellent restaurant for the business dinner I was on. Two thumbs up, great food, experienced wait staff, good service.Special Features:
- Extremely overpriced. AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/19/2013Extremely overpriced. Average food. Average service. Very expensive. The bill was 35% higher than the experience was worth. If dinner had been a better value, I would have recommended The Rex. As it is, I simply can't.
- The over all was a great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/14/2013The over all was a great restaurant! the food and service was great! The reason we went was because someone gave us a gift card there. My wife and I do not care much for the bar environment out in the open where the dinning is. It wouldn't be a place to bring a family to teach them to take up that habbit of drinking.
- My husband and I decided toOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012My husband and I decided to dine at the Rex on New Year's Eve, which used to be one of our favorite date night locations, but after the horrible service we received from the waitress, we do not plan to return. We chose to eat a little later so that we would be there at a time that it would not be quite so busy, which was the case. We ordered an appetizer and a dessert and never received either, then the waitress tried to tell us that we never requested them, when in actuality she was the one that recommended them. Worst service from a restaurant, EVER!
- Celebrated our 21st AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/28/2012Every single thing was perfect. The place was packed and the staff was on top of every detail. The food was fantastic and the choices were just right. We've dined here many times in the past 20+ years and the Rex is still by far the best restaurant in Billings.Special Features:
- Rex in a rutOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/21/2012The Rex has unfortunately seen its day. What was once a premiere steak house in Billings is now short of mediocre. Servers are attentive, but it took over an hour to receive very tasteless and ironically over cooked food. The server offered a free dessert, which also didn't stand out. The decor is worn, the menu dated and yet the prices are the highest in Billings. There are better options in this town. Reluctantly, we won't be back.
- although the service can lackOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/15/2012although the service can lack a little at times and the dining room is cramped, the food is perfect.. they have had the same head chef for a number of years now..Special Features:
- The Rex is a must stop whileOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/14/2012The Rex is a must stop while in Billings. Nothing else comes close!!Special Features:
- Fit for a KingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/12/2012Great night out! Made our reservation through open table and the process was seamless. Walked right in and sat at a table already set for our party of 3. The service was outstanding at The Rex! I will be using open table as well as eating at The Rex again.Special Features:
- Wonderful appetizers and theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/9/2012Wonderful appetizers and the bbq/smokehouse menu items were excellent and well priced!Special Features:
- For the prices they chargeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/9/2012For the prices they charge you'd expect a nice quiet spot for two romantics on their anniversary. Instead what we got was a noisy bar and seated right next to someone else basically in the same booth. We did not stay for dinner, just got up and left. Hostess watched us leave and did not bother to ask us if everything was alright. Not recommended for a romantic evening.Special Features:
- DONT DO IT!!!!!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/30/2012Never again!! Horrible food,unattentive staff,line cooks are allowed to wear there sweaty ball caps from the street while they cook your food,treated like second class citizens. Do not waste your time here. I cant believe this place is still open. Tried to take my in-laws out to some place special and left feeling embarassed that I had picked this place. Completely ruined my evening and made me look like an idiot who cant pick a restaurant.Paid $225 for garbage.Dont go here!!!!
- User friendly and easy toOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/10/2012User friendly and easy to use for reservations!Great Food and Service!Special Features:
- Wonderful restaurant. GreatbwicbVIPDined on 10/13/2012Wonderful restaurant. Great service. A perfect place to end the eveningSpecial Features:
- The Rex is one of my favoriteIraBobDined on 10/9/2012The Rex is one of my favorite steak places in the US. Every time I come to Billings, I try to get there for one of their steaks. The filet with the garlic slivers cooked into it is one of my favorites.Special Features:
- Great food. To die for PrimeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2012Great food. To die for Prime Rib. Out Wait staff was super nice. No complains at all. Would defiantly go again.Special Features:
- Food was good, service was not.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/18/2012I arrived at noon...it took a half an hour for me to get my food and I was one of just a few people that were there right at noon. I was asked one time how was my food by the waitress as she was hurrying off from helping someone else. She did not return to my table until I flagged her down to ask for a refil on my soda. She returned and quickly set my drink on the table & off she went only for me to find out she brought me WATER instead of the refil I asked for. I flagged her down AGAIN & asked if I could have a refil on soda instead of the water. She brougnt the soda but I had to flag her down again to ask for a to go box & ticket. She returned with my ticket & box saying she'd be my cashier. I had to go find her to pay my bill. Not good.Special Features: