The Restaurant School
4207 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
The Restaurant School
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.walnuthillcollege.edu/restaurants.asp
- Phone: (215) 222-4200
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Italian, French
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have several dining rooms that can provide private dining. Our Italian Trattoria can seat up to 24. Our Great Chefs restaurant can seat up to 34 in 2 adjoining dining rooms. Our Menus are individually created to our guest's specification. An example of one of our popular menus is our exciting "Menu Degustation" which is our Chef de Cuisine special tasting menu consisting of 7 courses. All the courses can also be paired with their appropriate wines.
- Private Party Contact: Banquets 2672952324
- Special Events: The Restaurant will be closed from April 17 to 23, 2012 while our students celebrate their Spring Break. We will also be closed for the months of July and August while our students enjoy their Summer Break. We will be accepting reservations during that time for the fall. Enjoy!
A word from The Restaurant School
"You'll never find a restaurant complex like this at any other school in the U.S. The Restaurant School at Walnut Hill College - a dynamic place to make your career come to life." For over 37 years, The Restaurant School at Walnut Hill College has received national acclaim for its innovative approach to education. We offer a real life, interactive educational experience in a bustling restaurant environment in the heart of University City, Philadelphia - home to one of the largest student populations. Please note that the Restaurants will be closed for Spring Break April 17 to 23, 2012. We will also be closed for the months of July and August while our students enjoy thier Summer Break. Be sure to check the Community Education section on our website for some special Wine Challenge Dinners for March, April and May. When you are finished your meal, stop in the Pastry Shop for a selection of cakes, pastries and tortes. We look forward to serving you soon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Restaurant School reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (15)fit for foodies (13)neighborhood gem (13)good for groups (12)romantic (7)scenic view (5)notable wine list (5)late-night find (2)hot spot (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Great BarginssmpaDined on 11/8/2014I am a big fan of restaurant schools. As a "foodie" I like to cheer for students brave enough to entertain a career in food / hotel / management programs. If you are willing to be kind, patient and encouraging, restaurant schools are the hidden great deals in good eating. The Restaurant School doesn't ask that you settle for less than really good food and the setting competes with any other venue. Go! You will not be disappointed - unless you need to be seen and demand perfection.Special Features:
- DinnerThreespinsDined on 11/8/2014The dinner was great. Although we thought that we were going to eat in the Italian Restaurant, which was closed, the kitchen made us an Italian dinner with 4 different kinds of pasta. They were very accommodating. The food was great.Special Features:
- disappointedPatCDined on 11/7/2014I have been here a few times before and was always very happy with the service and food. This time was disappointing. My food was overcooked and bland. Even though we were meeting old friends and in no hurry dinner took over 3 hours. The service was very slow even though it was not crowded. I understand these are students learning and am patient, but it was too long for a dinner.Special Features:
- DINING AT THE RESTAURANT SCHOOLtimeout4usDined on 11/5/2014My wife had a wonderful dining experience, this being our first time there. We were told there was a brand new waitstaff, after we had a fairly long wait after being seated to be seen by anyone. The bartender actually was our temporary waiter (Sean) and he was wonderful. The food was very good, presented well, and did not disappoint. We will be attending again soon, and have already recommended this establishment to others.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/25/2014Ordered medium-rare duck- came out well done accompanied by stiff dry gnocchiSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/10/2014The Restaurant School is a unique dining experience. The food at the International Bistro was a little too complex, but still very good. The service is excellent. The students are enthusiastic and eager to please. A very interesting and fun dining experience.Special Features:
- Under Utilized Gemb1fj457Dined on 10/8/2014Great place to meet for peoplel coming from different locations. The service was great, we found good Italian wine and the food was interesting. The food changes all the time which is interesting if you are open to change.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timerLoritDined on 9/24/2014Dinner was great, the service was excellent. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ASF3737Dined on 9/19/2014Went there with a group and had great food along with excellent service! The students did great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time VisitwannabfoodieDined on 9/16/2014I took a friend to The Restaurant School for his birthday. It was our first time going there and it was a great experience. The staff was very welcoming (if not a little nervous themselves - they are being graded) and extremely attentive. We went on a Tuesday evening and there were only a few other patrons dining there so the dining room was very quiet but I could see it being a loud room when there were a lot of people eating there. The food was awesome. Every course was better than the first and you can't beat the prices there. The cocktails were very good and over all our experience there was fantastic. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemDelicious1Dined on 9/6/2014The Restaurant School is the epitome of value and ambience. $21 gives you an excellent 3 course meal. Parking is free and the student servers are very attentive to your needs. We love that it's in our neighborhood!Special Features:
- HappyDined on 9/6/2014You will not get better service anywhere else! The students did a great job!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful surprise!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/5/2014I didn't go in expecting much, but it was great food and wonderful service.Special Features:
- Great Experiencealfiero4Dined on 9/3/2014We had a great evening at the Restaurant School. I loved the atmosphere and the service was excellent for being the beginning of a school year. Our food was awesome. Overall we had a great time and are planning to go back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 242 reviews are from the The Restaurant School reviews archive.
- FoodJolieDined on 6/28/2014I notice that the entree is always cold when brought outSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Support the StudentsgpetersonDined on 6/28/2014The students are so nervous and sweet, but they are learning so cut the kids some slack. The food is good and the drink and wine list is extensive and inexpensive. Went with my husband, got the 3 course prix fixe menu for $21 a person and a bottle of wine. Appetizers and desserts are where they shine. Entree's were good but not memorable. Decor is nice. I especially liked the women's bathroom with the Parisian boudoir theme. Will return to this location for a decadent yet inexpensive dinning experience.Special Features:
- Shh, its a secret!UnchainedDined on 6/25/2014I recently took a course at the Restaurant School and wandered into the restaurant one night when I was early for class. I didn't know it existed. I decided that it would be a great place to take my wife for her birthday. The atmosphere was European sidewalk café and the service and food were top notch. The students were eager to please and although there were some rough edges as you would expect from students, the service experience was very acceptable. When I say the food was good, I mean really good. The meal included an appetizer, entrée and dessert that were all created by the students. These kids cook every day and are seriously devoted to their craft . . . and it showed. What a great value. We will be back!Special Features:
- pattycakesDined on 6/14/2014My family and I enjoyed very much our dining experience we were there for a graduation dinner. The food was expectional will definitely be retrurningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StuartStuartDined on 6/7/2014Service is great, students are wonderful. The location is great--near u. City attractions.Special Features:
- Great FoodSherry40Dined on 6/7/2014The food was great and the service was even ourstanding...I will be dining at the restaurant school again very soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was terrificpglesingerDined on 5/30/2014Food was terrific. Ambience was wonderful. Service was great. Staff was friendly without being over bearing. You could sense the effort that everyone was putting into their work and the pride they were taking. I'm looking forward to going backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencenadiam4Dined on 5/16/2014We had a lovely dinner. Food and service were great, food was also interesting and innovative. We will be backSpecial Features:
- a truly different dining experienceCrustyCurmudgeonVIPDined on 5/3/2014Although very good (we had the tasting menu), the food's a small part of a meal at the Restaurant School. You can't talk about a "dining experience" until you have one like this. Staffed by students from Walnut Hill College, it's where the journey starts for those aspiring to a career in the culinary arts & restaurant or hotel management. Overseen by seasoned professionals like Eric Simonis (GM and sommelier at Lacroix for a decade), the stars are the student staff members. Of course, their skills and level of confidence vary. But they all share a palpable love of the life they've chosen that makes you proud & happy to help them achieve it. You get fine food & wine in a gorgeous setting at many places. Here you're also assuring its future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for having a party!AllenDined on 4/26/2014We were there for the Italian dinner celebrating our friends and family we had a private room and it was fabulous!!! We had the Italian night which was five different types of pasta. A appetizer and a salad was also included and it was plenty of food. I special ordered a chocolate buttercream cake and we had that for dessert which was incredible!!!! I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone the price great, service was incredible and the whole night was of success!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We celebrated my daughtersAllenDined on 4/11/2014We celebrated my daughters 27th birthday and it was great. We special ordered a cake ahead of time and it was fabulous!!!! I definitely would recommend this restaurant to anyone. The presentation was exceptional!!! Overall it was a wonderful experience!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good friends, good food, good wineyumyumDined on 4/2/2014The food was superb,service impeccable - was a thoroughly enjoyable evening. This was our first time for just dinner, we have attended several wine tasting events in the past. We will definitely be seeing you more ofter for "just dinner".Special Features:
- A nice find.rew3Dined on 3/29/2014For the money, you really can't beat this place. These young men and women aren't working a job, they're preparing for a career. So, you don't have to worry about whether the chef is having a bad day or doesn't really like their job. A 3 course meal for $21 isn't like what you would find in the chains. I had steamed clams in a nice white wine and garlic broth (was a little salty, but very good), Monkfish was nicely cooked, and the desert was just decent. I look forward to going back. It's a small, quiet place with good service, and I would absolutely give the clams another shot. I also love the fact that they don't expect tips, but that just made me more inclined to tip (that money goes into a group account and is use for group activities).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old Friends Together AgainMikeDined on 3/28/2014We had not seen our friends for too long. I set up the reservation easily, and then there we were again, chatting and catching up at The Restaurant School on Walnut St. in West Philadelphia. It was wonderful to be together and to be served by caring, thoughtful young people in the middle of their training. The food was varied - fish, vegetables, osso bucco. Yum! But best of all the four friends simply chatted the evening away. No hurry. No loud music or burdensome laughter. Just good friends with fine food, relaxing together. We heartily recommend The Restaurant School to anyone who is up for a relaxing time, especially if you're with old friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- what a treat!patrnDined on 3/14/2014The evening was wonderful!! The staff made us feel right at home from the minute minute we walked in the door. The food was as if we had been transportedy to italy. The staff goes above and beyond. It made the difference between a mediocre night and a memorable one. we will be frequent fliers for sure! Kudos to all!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well Kept SecretOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/14/2014This restaurant had all the charm and class of four different restaurants; the photographs we took there were really something. My friend and I were college students that rarely got the chance to experience fine dining, but given that the servers were also students we felt comfortable making mistakes together - and the amount of attention we got was unparalleled, with the bread basket swinging by every few minutes and a plate of rose-shaped butter for ten people. The courteousness of the manager in charge was also really appreciated, as he graciously showed us the bakery after hours and personally took our order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time DiningRebeccaCDined on 3/1/2014My parents and I were finally able to get reservations after about 10 different attempts over the last few years, and it was well worth the wait. The rooms were beautifully decorated, the staff was gracious and accommodating, and the food was wonderful. I had garlic soup for the first time in my life, and it was fantastic. I'd like to make it at home now! My parents were visiting from out of town and staying next door at the homewood suites, so it was very easy and convenient for them to get to the restaurant school. They were so pleased with the experience that they want me to make reservations for their next trip to town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special TreatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/28/2014My dining companions and I enjoyed wonderful meals from the International menu. The choices were flavorful and unique with samplings from various cuisines. There is also a good selection of wines to go with your meal. The servers worked hard to make our dining evening a delight. We couldn't believe it all came with a great pre-fix total.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a delight!SusanneDined on 2/14/2014Perhaps the fact that I am in education influences my judgement, but the Restaurant School is a delight. The students are involved in all phases of the dining experience from a greeting at the door, to service, busing, cooking and baking. and do a great job in all areas. It is a treat to see the commitment and the energy into making the evening enjoyable.Special Features:
- First time thereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014What a great experience the food was great service was also great. Such a neat place to goSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before the storm dinnerharryg233Dined on 2/12/2014As always the restaurant school is a great place to dine!! I have highly recommended the school to my professional colleagues and friends looking for a dining experience. Great student staff who should do well in the private sector upon graduation!!Special Features:
- Best kept dinner secret in PhillyMicahBVIPDined on 2/1/2014There is something pleasing about helping future chefs and restaurant management people learn by doing. You need to remember this restaurant is "class" and these students are earning their grades. You simply can't beat the price (it was $21 for 3 courses--and I had an excellent filet mignon!). The menu is small and changing, but always has selections for every dining request. And the accompanying wines or spirits you order are reasonably priced too. The atmosphere in the wide open dining space is beautiful. And the servers truly aim to please--all the tips go into a class pot, so the goal is to perform flawlessly as a team, not individuals. And the former La Croix sommelier is the overlooking "professor"--he knows the craft. Worth a visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- one of philly's secret gemsspoonDined on 1/31/2014The recent Ellis Island menu had some tasty international dishes, and I went back for seconds a few days later. My large group was impressed with all but one dish. Portions vary in size, and the larger ones are impossible to finish in one sitting. Interior patio is beautiful and elegant. Service is amateurish, but the student waitstaff is so charmingly nervous and cute that you won't mind. Bring someone you want to impress.Special Features:
- Everyone was friendly andJennNLauraDined on 1/23/2014Everyone was friendly and the food was super delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerDaughterDined on 1/18/2014We took our parents who both turned 81. They really don't need gifts so this was a fun alternative and a great time for us all!!! They were so pleased with the evening, food, atmosphere, and the entire experience. This was our second visit. We had dinner in September, the night before our son's wedding. Again, the experience was wonderful. I have told many friends about the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great special occasion or Sat nightphillyphoodieDined on 1/17/2014I gave my partner a gift card for classes at the Restaurant School, and I thought treating him to dinner at the restaurant would get him psyched to begin. The service (Emily & Rita stand out) was super friendly and conscientious. The chef even came out to ask how we enjoyed the meal. I was expecting the Italian Menu listed on the website (different kinds of pastas for $18), so was surprised (slightly bummed) that there were four entrees (not pastas) to choose from for $25. I had invited my in-laws and felt badly that dinner was pricier than I had anticipated. But all in all, it was a very enjoyable dinner, and felt like a treat. The drinks--a dry vodka martini, an old fashioned, and a manhattan were all well mixed. Parking = easy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.