The Restaurant at Ventana
48123 California One
Big Sur, CA 93920Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
The Restaurant at Ventana
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ventanainn.com/dining.aspx
- Phone: 8316674242x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily from 7:00am-10:30am
Lunch: Daily from 11:30am-4:30pm;
Dinner: Nightly from 6:00pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Californian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Restaurant at Ventana
The Restaurant at Ventana serves award winning cuisine in an awe-inspiring setting. The restaurant’s warm, rustic interior opens onto its legendary terrace where panoramic views of the ocean and rugged Big Sur coastline stretch for more than 50 miles. The cuisine makes use of the abundance of California’s Central Coast with local, simple, sustainable ingredients, including items from Ventana’s own organic garden.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Restaurant at Ventana - Best Restaurants in Big Sur ›
The Restaurant at Ventana reviews from OpenTable diners
99 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelQuiet
scenic view (84)great for outdoor dining (77)romantic (65)special occasion (54)fit for foodies (46)great for lunch (34)notable wine list (18)great for brunch (16)good for groups (10)neighborhood gem (8)hot spot (7)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Not a great night for the anyoneOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 9/20/2014We have been here many times. We ate outside -which was lovely. Our server although kind - lacked the usual attentiveness. A second drink was not ordered because he came back too late in the meal. Our food was mediocre. Although the halibut was good - the tuna tartar was 'fishy' and stringy. We had a fabulous meal at the Ventana in August. This meal was a real disappointment.Special Features:
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/17/2014The service was efficient and helpful without being intrusive. The food was delicious and creative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RomanticJeanneVIPDined on 9/17/2014Very romantic setting and where my husband and I were married 28 years ago. The food was average and not as good as it was years ago. Prices are moderate and we were not impressed with the wine list. We did receive a complimentary dessert for our anniversary however it was not as good as Sweet Elena's chocolate decadence years ago. That was a disappointment.Special Features:
- great scenery but food okayBigSur2014Dined on 9/11/2014Stayed at this Inn for several days and had breakfast, lunch and dinner. Found breakfast and lunch good, but dinner was fair and service was poor. The dinner menu is a 4 course dinner ($75) but you can order al carte. Alaskan halibut was overcooked and bread was dry. Vegetables were overcooked. Soap was good. The wine selection is good and a full bar is available. The place was near empty even for dinner at peak times. You can may a reservation but why bother because you can always get a seat. A guest while walking out reports the same experience, and poor service. She advised to eat across the street.Special Features:
- spa likeluckydogDined on 9/11/2014This restuarant is like going to a good spa and having a great massage. It is beautiful, peaceful, earthy yet elegant and fills your soul as well as your stomach.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice view but......OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/2/2014Greatly disappointed the night we were there on our 40th wedding annersary. Chief came highly recommended but I'm sure was not in residence that night (at least I hope not) ingredients were fresh but preparation was completely uninspired. Service was so bad it was comical, our waiter continually brought the wrong plates to the wrong people and the checks to the wrong table. In his defense the restaurant appeared to be wildly understaffed.Special Features:
- use to be .....ant08VIPDined on 8/31/2014very sad, use to be good a year ago, now the food have no soul or flavor everything tasted vinegar and oily cheese and chilis. we got the tasting menu and it is well priced but not with that kind of food, a joke!!!! service very amateurish but not bad. will not go back....
- Wow!!!FromagerVIPDined on 8/30/2014What an amazing find!!! Gorgeous setting, incredible menu, so romantic! If I hadn't already proposed, I would have done it there.Special Features:
- a great place to tryJeffTVIPDined on 8/19/2014Though we ended up eating outside, the inside of the place looks inviting and looked cool and rustic. The outside patio area was expansive and had some nice lounging areas to sit as well as the table over near the edge. We only had their appetizers and the Ribs and duck wraps were awesome. Service was very good and friendly. Though we had clouds and couldn't see very well, the blue jays and open feel was very relaxing and lovely. Great place to take someone and very reasonable for what you are getting.Special Features:
- Upscale dining in Big SurSteve50Dined on 8/14/2014Ventana restaurant is part of the upscale Ventana resort-- perhaps the best dining option in Big Sur. Menu is simple-- 4 course fixed price was the option we selected. Food was excellent, along with attentive staff. We went there a second night to continue with different menu selections. Great, romantic outdoor setting with lots of fireplaces/ heat lamps to keep you warm on cooler nights in Big Sur when the fog rolls in.Special Features:
- Good food, long mealVeggieDined on 8/12/2014I work in NYC, and while I love nice food, I enjoy 1-1.5 hour meals. The food and view were great, but our meal was over 2.5 hours long, my only real complaint about dinner. The service was great, we had one pre fix dinner $80, and the other diner ordered a la carte. It was a special occasional and our server wrote happy anniversary on our plate which was nice.Special Features:
- Off the menuorangoDined on 8/1/2014The dinner menu was [pricey and selective. You also could not sit on the balcony with the best view for dinner. We ended up eating from the bar menu which was tasty and less expensive. You also got to sit with the better view.Special Features:
- Lovely settingLuvgoodfoodVIPDined on 8/1/2014Although clouds shrouded the ocean during our lunch at Ventana we still found the setting beautiful . Our server was very efficient and likeable and the lunch was quite good . I had a portobello mushroom sandwich and my husband had the fried chicken sandwich . These were large sandwiches so half of mine came home with me .Special Features:
- Back on TopOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 7/31/2014We had a lovely and tasty dinner at The Restaurant at Ventana. The food was beautifully presented and the taste was incredible. Those who tended to the table were courteous, professional and attentive. We will go back again and again.Special Features:
- Unresponsive ServernycfoodieVIPDined on 7/27/2014Of course everyone goes for the view, and we will go again, but we had a pathetic waiter. The hostess was wonderful and engaging and the server was compete opposite. The server gave no response to requests. And he did not even say thank you when bill was paid. Maybe he is deaf/mute?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/26/2014Setting can't be beat, food and service could be more sophisticated to match the prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor food qualityOliviaDined on 7/22/2014Very disappointed in the food. Not tasty, luke-warm entree. Service below par for such a pricey restaurant. The views and location were beautiful, but the dining experience was disappointing. Will not return to this restaurant.Special Features:
- Amazing FoodKARANDTARVIPDined on 7/20/2014This restaurant is impressive. I love the open kitchen and the menu was fresh and innovative. We had the chef's tasting menu, which was an excellent value for the quality and quantity of food received. My friend had the heirloom tomato salad, osso bucco, pork tenderloin, and baked Alaska, while my choices were the mixed greens with Humboldt Fog blue cheese, tempura (the deep fried thinly sliced lemon was goooooood), the swordfish with lemon couscous, and butterscotch cream brulee. Everything was extremely flavorful and beautifully presented. Service was great too!Special Features:
- AwesomeBrasilnacalifornia2014Dined on 7/19/2014Very nice place, wooden walls, you can see mountains and the sea from the high First time I find organic tasteful food in America. Waiter was very kind and spoke in Spanish to explain our choices!❤️👏👏👏Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dinnerPDXTravlrVIPDined on 7/14/2014Beautiful setting, impeccable service and the food was quite good. They mentioned on the menu that all dishes could be ordered a la carte, rather than the 4-course prix-fixe, but didn't list the prices of any individual dishes on said menu -- my only quibble. We could have easily skipped dessert - it was the only course that was unremarkable. The tuna crudo dish was outstanding, so was the pork tenderloin. A very nice evening overall.Special Features:
- Enjoyed my anniversary dinnerDamoDined on 7/11/2014My wife and I celebrated our 20th anniversary at Ventana. Everything was very good. A little pricey, but the restaurant is beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not greatJamesWDined on 7/10/2014Somehow we were disappointed with both the food and interior ambiance. Nice view and outdoor terrace but inside somewhat dated and pedestrian, especially for such a high price resort. Fish entree was fine, fresh but not creative or outstanding. Sirloin was sub par. Would not go back as there are far better dining opportunities in the area at similar price.Special Features:
- Scenic ViewsjustadinerDined on 7/4/2014We stopped for lunch while visiting Big Sur. The views were beautiful and the wait staff excellent. The homemade chips were great and the sandwiches quite tasty. Portion size was quite nice.Special Features:
- The scenic view is awesomeMichaelDined on 7/4/2014The outdoor dinning is great. The scenic view is awesome. The service was great. The king salmon cake was great. The soup was a bit sour, the catch of the day, sword fish, was too dry and the price is a bit too high, the BBQ rib is ok. Next time we will try hamburger instead.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible Service!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/3/2014After a sublime stay at the Inn we had our parting lunch there and it was awful. Food was fine but service was actually worse than poor. Won't bore you with the litany of complaints but, for a normally uncomplaining couple this was bad!Special Features:
- A little gem!Boricuas85Dined on 6/29/2014This place is amazing. The service, food and ambiance is worth the extra cost.Special Features:
- Great view, terrible servicegooglegeekDined on 6/29/2014It took too long to take our order, and too long to bring water and provide refills, even after asking. Food took forever to be brought out (how can it take over an hour to make a burger?). Although we requested ketchup with our order, we had to ask four times before any was brought to the table. After clearing our dishes, it took forever to get the waiter's attention.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/29/2014rediculously blissfull, unforgettable memory and fabulous foodSpecial Features:
- Great foodfernDined on 6/28/2014Although there was a private event on the outdoor patio, the honored our window request.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Possibly a scenic viewLovingtheJourneyDined on 6/28/2014We drove to Big Sur to enjoy lunch and the scenic view. We made a reservation but upon arrival found out that the patio was closed for a special private party that evening. We could not dine on patio or even step foot out on it to see the view. I ordered the burger and thought it was just ok however the fries were crispy. My husband ordered the fish special which was swordfish and enjoyed. Our waiter was very nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible foodEnchilada1VIPDined on 6/27/2014Our food was subpar. My hamburger was seriously horrible and maybe a frozen patty. The fries were the only decent thing. Had to ask for drink refills and were given the wrong check which we had to chase the staff down in order to fix. Forgot the cheese on my burger.Special Features:
- not worth the viewiopinsteadDined on 6/26/2014pasta was drenched in too much sauce hamburger tasted frozen and no taste had two meals there lunch and dinner because we were staying at the resort and they were both below average view is wonderful but food is notSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/22/2014The new chef has livened up the menu with delicious inventive new dishes.Special Features:
- Best food we had in CaliforniaHappyhom61Dined on 6/22/2014This was the best food we had in a month of eating out in California. The portion sizes were perfect, lovely flavours and beautifully presented - would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- thumbsUPDined on 6/20/2014Food was delicious. The view was breathtaking. Service was top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit snootygeezboyzDined on 6/15/2014Our party of 4 came arrived for Father's Day dinner right after an 8-mile hike at nearby Andrew Molera SP. Expecting not to be dressed appropriately for a more formal dining room, I had expressed a preference for outdoor seating in my reservation. But when we arrived, the hostess declined to seat us in the patio, where other diners were, saying fog could be rolling in any time and it would be cold. Wait staff was overly formal in a stuffed-shirt way. The saving grace: our food was beautifully presented. All four of us enjoyed how the appetizer and each main course that we selected was prepared in just a slightly different way than we each had expected, but delightfully so. Praises to the chef.Special Features:
- Recommended and Did not disappointMfgranucciVIPDined on 6/13/2014In the area for a family wedding. Outside dining on June 13. A little chilly but heaters help a lot. Food was excellent. Did not do price fixe but did chose items off the price fixe menu. Salads were excellent as were the entrees.Special Features:
- Fabulous new chef!MiltyVIPDined on 6/12/2014Paul Corsentino has made a dramatically awesome impact on this once just ok restaurant. We last visited here about 15 years ago. Big Sur is a special place on its own and now the Ventana Restuarant more than rises to the occasion. The food is imaginative, presented beautifully and quite tastey! We ate dinner twice here and as guest of Ventana Inn had the opportunity to have breakfast that was also excellent. The service was excellent without being overly attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- edevDined on 6/11/2014Wonderful ambiance, view, service, great food, limited menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- evitesseqDined on 6/10/2014perfectly seasoned creative but not ridiculous choices. I loved the bean salad and the boiled egg appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.