The Restaurant at Ventana
48123 California One
Big Sur, CA 93920Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
The Restaurant at Ventana
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ventanainn.com/dining.aspx
- Phone: 8316674242x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily from 7:00am-10:30am
Lunch: Daily from 11:30am-4:30pm;
Dinner: Nightly from 6:00pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Californian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Restaurant at Ventana
The Restaurant at Ventana serves award winning cuisine in an awe-inspiring setting. The restaurant’s warm, rustic interior opens onto its legendary terrace where panoramic views of the ocean and rugged Big Sur coastline stretch for more than 50 miles. The cuisine makes use of the abundance of California’s Central Coast with local, simple, sustainable ingredients, including items from Ventana’s own organic garden.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Restaurant at Ventana - Best Restaurants in Big Sur ›
The Restaurant at Ventana reviews from OpenTable diners
98 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (86)great for outdoor dining (76)romantic (63)special occasion (54)fit for foodies (47)great for lunch (35)notable wine list (18)great for brunch (15)good for groups (11)neighborhood gem (7)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (1)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- a great place to tryJeffTVIPDined on 8/19/2014Though we ended up eating outside, the inside of the place looks inviting and looked cool and rustic. The outside patio area was expansive and had some nice lounging areas to sit as well as the table over near the edge. We only had their appetizers and the Ribs and duck wraps were awesome. Service was very good and friendly. Though we had clouds and couldn't see very well, the blue jays and open feel was very relaxing and lovely. Great place to take someone and very reasonable for what you are getting.Special Features:
- Upscale dining in Big SurSteve50Dined on 8/14/2014Ventana restaurant is part of the upscale Ventana resort-- perhaps the best dining option in Big Sur. Menu is simple-- 4 course fixed price was the option we selected. Food was excellent, along with attentive staff. We went there a second night to continue with different menu selections. Great, romantic outdoor setting with lots of fireplaces/ heat lamps to keep you warm on cooler nights in Big Sur when the fog rolls in.Special Features:
- Good food, long mealVeggieDined on 8/12/2014I work in NYC, and while I love nice food, I enjoy 1-1.5 hour meals. The food and view were great, but our meal was over 2.5 hours long, my only real complaint about dinner. The service was great, we had one pre fix dinner $80, and the other diner ordered a la carte. It was a special occasional and our server wrote happy anniversary on our plate which was nice.Special Features:
- Off the menuorangoDined on 8/1/2014The dinner menu was [pricey and selective. You also could not sit on the balcony with the best view for dinner. We ended up eating from the bar menu which was tasty and less expensive. You also got to sit with the better view.Special Features:
- Lovely settingLuvgoodfoodDined on 8/1/2014Although clouds shrouded the ocean during our lunch at Ventana we still found the setting beautiful . Our server was very efficient and likeable and the lunch was quite good . I had a portobello mushroom sandwich and my husband had the fried chicken sandwich . These were large sandwiches so half of mine came home with me .Special Features:
- Back on TopOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 7/31/2014We had a lovely and tasty dinner at The Restaurant at Ventana. The food was beautifully presented and the taste was incredible. Those who tended to the table were courteous, professional and attentive. We will go back again and again.Special Features:
- Unresponsive ServernycfoodieVIPDined on 7/27/2014Of course everyone goes for the view, and we will go again, but we had a pathetic waiter. The hostess was wonderful and engaging and the server was compete opposite. The server gave no response to requests. And he did not even say thank you when bill was paid. Maybe he is deaf/mute?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/26/2014Setting can't be beat, food and service could be more sophisticated to match the prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor food qualityOliviaDined on 7/22/2014Very disappointed in the food. Not tasty, luke-warm entree. Service below par for such a pricey restaurant. The views and location were beautiful, but the dining experience was disappointing. Will not return to this restaurant.Special Features:
- Amazing FoodKARANDTARVIPDined on 7/20/2014This restaurant is impressive. I love the open kitchen and the menu was fresh and innovative. We had the chef's tasting menu, which was an excellent value for the quality and quantity of food received. My friend had the heirloom tomato salad, osso bucco, pork tenderloin, and baked Alaska, while my choices were the mixed greens with Humboldt Fog blue cheese, tempura (the deep fried thinly sliced lemon was goooooood), the swordfish with lemon couscous, and butterscotch cream brulee. Everything was extremely flavorful and beautifully presented. Service was great too!Special Features:
- AwesomeBrasilnacalifornia2014Dined on 7/19/2014Very nice place, wooden walls, you can see mountains and the sea from the high First time I find organic tasteful food in America. Waiter was very kind and spoke in Spanish to explain our choices!❤️👏👏👏Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dinnerPDXTravlrVIPDined on 7/14/2014Beautiful setting, impeccable service and the food was quite good. They mentioned on the menu that all dishes could be ordered a la carte, rather than the 4-course prix-fixe, but didn't list the prices of any individual dishes on said menu -- my only quibble. We could have easily skipped dessert - it was the only course that was unremarkable. The tuna crudo dish was outstanding, so was the pork tenderloin. A very nice evening overall.Special Features:
- Enjoyed my anniversary dinnerDamoDined on 7/11/2014My wife and I celebrated our 20th anniversary at Ventana. Everything was very good. A little pricey, but the restaurant is beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not greatJamesWDined on 7/10/2014Somehow we were disappointed with both the food and interior ambiance. Nice view and outdoor terrace but inside somewhat dated and pedestrian, especially for such a high price resort. Fish entree was fine, fresh but not creative or outstanding. Sirloin was sub par. Would not go back as there are far better dining opportunities in the area at similar price.Special Features:
- Scenic ViewsjustadinerDined on 7/4/2014We stopped for lunch while visiting Big Sur. The views were beautiful and the wait staff excellent. The homemade chips were great and the sandwiches quite tasty. Portion size was quite nice.Special Features:
- The scenic view is awesomeMichaelDined on 7/4/2014The outdoor dinning is great. The scenic view is awesome. The service was great. The king salmon cake was great. The soup was a bit sour, the catch of the day, sword fish, was too dry and the price is a bit too high, the BBQ rib is ok. Next time we will try hamburger instead.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible Service!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/3/2014After a sublime stay at the Inn we had our parting lunch there and it was awful. Food was fine but service was actually worse than poor. Won't bore you with the litany of complaints but, for a normally uncomplaining couple this was bad!Special Features:
- A little gem!Boricuas85Dined on 6/29/2014This place is amazing. The service, food and ambiance is worth the extra cost.Special Features:
- Great view, terrible servicegooglegeekDined on 6/29/2014It took too long to take our order, and too long to bring water and provide refills, even after asking. Food took forever to be brought out (how can it take over an hour to make a burger?). Although we requested ketchup with our order, we had to ask four times before any was brought to the table. After clearing our dishes, it took forever to get the waiter's attention.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/29/2014rediculously blissfull, unforgettable memory and fabulous foodSpecial Features:
- Great foodfernDined on 6/28/2014Although there was a private event on the outdoor patio, the honored our window request.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Possibly a scenic viewLovingtheJourneyDined on 6/28/2014We drove to Big Sur to enjoy lunch and the scenic view. We made a reservation but upon arrival found out that the patio was closed for a special private party that evening. We could not dine on patio or even step foot out on it to see the view. I ordered the burger and thought it was just ok however the fries were crispy. My husband ordered the fish special which was swordfish and enjoyed. Our waiter was very nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible foodEnchilada1VIPDined on 6/27/2014Our food was subpar. My hamburger was seriously horrible and maybe a frozen patty. The fries were the only decent thing. Had to ask for drink refills and were given the wrong check which we had to chase the staff down in order to fix. Forgot the cheese on my burger.Special Features:
- not worth the viewiopinsteadDined on 6/26/2014pasta was drenched in too much sauce hamburger tasted frozen and no taste had two meals there lunch and dinner because we were staying at the resort and they were both below average view is wonderful but food is notSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/22/2014The new chef has livened up the menu with delicious inventive new dishes.Special Features:
- Best food we had in CaliforniaHappyhom61Dined on 6/22/2014This was the best food we had in a month of eating out in California. The portion sizes were perfect, lovely flavours and beautifully presented - would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- thumbsUPDined on 6/20/2014Food was delicious. The view was breathtaking. Service was top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit snootygeezboyzDined on 6/15/2014Our party of 4 came arrived for Father's Day dinner right after an 8-mile hike at nearby Andrew Molera SP. Expecting not to be dressed appropriately for a more formal dining room, I had expressed a preference for outdoor seating in my reservation. But when we arrived, the hostess declined to seat us in the patio, where other diners were, saying fog could be rolling in any time and it would be cold. Wait staff was overly formal in a stuffed-shirt way. The saving grace: our food was beautifully presented. All four of us enjoyed how the appetizer and each main course that we selected was prepared in just a slightly different way than we each had expected, but delightfully so. Praises to the chef.Special Features:
- Recommended and Did not disappointMfgranucciVIPDined on 6/13/2014In the area for a family wedding. Outside dining on June 13. A little chilly but heaters help a lot. Food was excellent. Did not do price fixe but did chose items off the price fixe menu. Salads were excellent as were the entrees.Special Features:
- Fabulous new chef!MiltyVIPDined on 6/12/2014Paul Corsentino has made a dramatically awesome impact on this once just ok restaurant. We last visited here about 15 years ago. Big Sur is a special place on its own and now the Ventana Restuarant more than rises to the occasion. The food is imaginative, presented beautifully and quite tastey! We ate dinner twice here and as guest of Ventana Inn had the opportunity to have breakfast that was also excellent. The service was excellent without being overly attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- edevDined on 6/11/2014Wonderful ambiance, view, service, great food, limited menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- evitesseqDined on 6/10/2014perfectly seasoned creative but not ridiculous choices. I loved the bean salad and the boiled egg appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big Sur GemSJfoodieVIPDined on 6/8/2014Stopped here for dinner on the way up the Big Sur coast. The dining room was warm and inviting, and there's a large outdoor patio (with heat lamps) if you want to enjoy the view (which may/may not be that great, depending on the fog level). There's a 4 course meal for $95 or you can order individual items a la carte. Four of us ordered a la carte and had enough to eat, though the prices (as expected) were high ($18 for a small plate of fresh veggies, which included a couple of squash blossoms, fancy carrots and sliced green beans). Two in the party had the steak which was tasty. The food was fresh and tasty and presented well. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- New and improvedDollfaceLVIPDined on 6/7/2014I'm a local and love this spot. The men has changed and I'm thrilled with the new options. We had the burger and the salmon--both were incredible. The only downside was that the outdoor seating wAs closed for a private event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful settingMelanieDined on 6/3/2014Wonderful experience. Great food attentive friendly service in a very beautiful setting overlooking the ocean.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful and uniqueOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/3/2014Enchanting. Food hit and miss for dinner. Overall excellent for breakfast.Special Features:
- Luv2eatVIPDined on 5/29/2014What a beautiful place can't wait to go back! Food, drink view of the Pacific was amazing!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ventana at Big SurlivetoenjoyDined on 5/26/2014Surprising location not expected while driving on Highway 1. Staff was very attentive. The views of the mountains and the ocean are relaxing. The large umbrellas provide great shade. The weather was perfect, I would not think a great location if windy or cold. The food was good but not exciting. The price was right for the location. Definitely a must return place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/24/2014If you go here this must not be your first upscale dining experience, this review is based on that premise. Steak was a little dry food was acceptable. Service was attentive and views were great. Food not as great as it should be ambiance met expectations as did staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful placedharr0108Dined on 5/20/2014We totally enjoyed our dinner at the Ventana. The waiter was very knowledgable and helpful, without being intrusive. We completely enjoyed the food and the wine selection. It was our first time there, but others around us had returned multiple times, and I understand why. We would also plan to return when in the area again.Special Features: