The Restaurant at The Surf Lodge
183 Edgemere Street
Montauk, NY 11954Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
The Restaurant at The Surf Lodge
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://thesurflodge.com/restaurant/
- Phone: 6314835039x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Thursday 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Sunday: 5:00pm -11:00pm
*Deck menu available on Monday and Wednesday from 5-10pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Australian
- Executive Chef: Chris Rendell
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live music every weekend.
A word from The Restaurant at The Surf Lodge
Acclaimed Australian Executive Chef Chris Rendell is heading back to the beach, creating a menu following his much loved Aussie Cooking Philosophy. The Restaurant at The Surf Lodge will be offering a simple, clean, fresh, local and organic market driven menu with a focus on daily caught seafood.Continued
The restaurant was inspired by the culture and lifestyle of Byron Bay, one of Australia’s most authentic surf towns.
The restaurant was inspired by the culture and lifestyle of Byron Bay, one of Australia’s most authentic surf towns.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Restaurant at The Surf Lodge - Best Restaurants in Montauk ›
The Restaurant at The Surf Lodge reviews from OpenTable diners
90 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (62)vibrant bar scene (61)scenic view (59)hot spot (59)good for groups (41)great for brunch (21)great for lunch (19)late-night find (15)fit for foodies (15)neighborhood gem (14)special occasion (14)romantic (9)kid-friendly (8)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Beyond divine!Princess7VIPDined on 9/20/2014I often have brunch at Byrons @ the Surf Lodge, but rarely dinner b/c such a scene. However, my daughter and i dined there last minute the evening before they closed for the season and the entire experience was beyond divine! Food was delicious. I had the steamed Fluke and it was honestly one of the best/lightest most delicious fish dishes i have ever had (coming from a foodie). Service lovely and friendly. Atmosphere inside also lovely. Outdoor dining was crowded....indoor was fine when we arrived and packed when we left. Perfect way to end our summer in MTK. Highly recommend for brunch and dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!dineinnycDined on 9/20/2014Amazing service, gorgeous view, excellent food and great atmosphere! I cannot wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A total scene and great foodFLvisitorDined on 8/31/2014Loved the scallops and my friend loved her tuna. Labor Day Sunday was a mob scene but the restaurant part held it together. A favorite spot year after year, despite the crazinessSpecial Features:
- RUDENESS PERSONIFIEDHdm46VIPDined on 8/21/2014ARRIVED 10 MINUTES LATE FOR A 9:45 RESERVATION. COULD NOT FIND A HOSTESS, BUT FINALLY APPROACHED A ?MANAGER? SITTING IN THE IN SIDE DINING ROOM,ADDING UP CHECKS. HE BARELY HAD THE ENERGY TO LOOK UP AT US AND TELL US THAT THE KITCHEN WAS CLOSED. THE OUTSIDE DINING ROOM WAS FULL AND FOOD WAS STILL BEING SERVED. I DO THINK THAT WE SHOULD HAVE BEEN SEATED AND SERVED.Special Features:
- akuaviDined on 8/12/2014Still the most appealing place to be in the area. Nkthing out in the Hamptons beats their dining al fresco ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Make sureBulfoniDined on 8/11/2014The only reason one would go to the surf lodge is the view on the water. When we reserved they don't specify that they only had seats indoors and the room has a bad fish smell. The service was terrible, I had to ask for olive oil for my salad 4 times and it took over 15 minutes to get. No exaggeration. The food was less then mediocre.Special Features:
- Trendy and TastyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014The place was great once we sat down, despite the fact that the servers were a bit uptight about sitting our whole party together and on-time and a bit obnoxious. Great food and fun atmosphere! The bartender was a total jerk but the drinks were good though overpriced. The place was a bit hectic but the sunset over the water was gorgeous and the music was great!Special Features:
- Food getting better!hungryVIPDined on 8/10/2014The food has definitely improved here over time, both in the quality of the actual food, and the way it's prepared. The service is still decent at best. The staff is a pompous, but then again, people are a little crazy there so you can't be shocked. The main host (possibly manager) could be the most pretentious person in Montauk. We all understand it's a hot spot for sure, but there is no reason to stand so tall only to look down at paying customers. Overall, will continue to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine for a scene, but go earlyItsgoodnowDined on 8/9/2014Our dinner reservation was very late, service and food were fine but just prepare for the rowdy crowdsSpecial Features:
- Go for sunset not food or servicetloloVIPDined on 8/5/2014Pretty setting, lovely sunset, distinctly average food. Over priced for what it is and service dubious. Started off ok then waiter just disappeared. Had to almost beg someone to get us the check. Had lobster roll, dry and sparse. Heirloom salad started better but not great. Friend enjoyed fried fish basket but heh, it's fried fish so hard to dislike. Pasta with crab, not great. Won't be back.Special Features:
- Stopping by here is worth it.QuaintyetupbeatDined on 8/3/2014If you're in the Montauk area, I would definitely stop by this place. They have a great brunch menu. Better yet, they take classical things that you would make in your home, and amp them up with their variations and flare. The B.L.A.T. is always a favorite. The scrambled eggs on toast with avocado and bacon is delicious. Their juices are great as well. My only complaint about food was that they had ended their partnership with the juice company that has been supplying them in previous years. It was some company down long island that made exceptional juices.Special Features:
- Lost it's flareTheTrueTasteDined on 7/31/2014I'd been to the surf lodge about 4 years ago and it was awesome. It's definitely gone downhill sinceSpecial Features:
- Keeps getting betterFLvisitorDined on 7/27/2014They've taken the live music up a notch this year and it's incredible. Also the food keeps getting better. I had the whole fish sea bass which was perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great scene, good foodhungryVIPDined on 7/25/2014Surf Lodge is an amazing spot. I wouldn't go back if I simply wanted an amazing meal. It's a scene, and the food is good enough for them to charge what they do. the service was sub par.Special Features:
- Still my favorite...for now...CMRNYCDined on 7/20/2014Surf Lodge has always been my favorite. The chill beachy atmosphere, the fun outdoor set-up overlooking the lake, and the great music. However at the end of last summer and now for this entire summer it's been a complete sh*tshow to even get inside the door...WITH a reservation! I hope that they will make an investment during the off season to increase the capacity AND to renovate the ladies bathroom! Still can't beat the view of the sunset thoughSpecial Features:
- Great place but terrible serviceTinjanDined on 7/20/2014This is where young people hang out on weekends in Montauk. Great place and great music. Just, with only few exceptions, the service is really bad and with bad attitude. They need to work on that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MTK favorite for brunchPrincess7VIPDined on 7/12/2014A favorite destination for brunch with friends. Inside and outside has a great vibe and staff/service is great. Food delicious. Poached eggs/avocado, BLAT and Lobster roll are a few of our favorites. Definitely recommend.Special Features:
- IdrinkandeatwaytoomuchDined on 7/11/2014This is a true hotspot and have eaten here a few times before. Food was good but hard to remember because ... had to wait over 3 hours for a table for 2, you were forced to order apps, dinner and desert at one time and then they preceeded to bring all 3 out at the same time!! then the waitress disappeared in the meanwhile we were 3 bottle of champs deep and at that point didnt really care what was happeneing... Moral of the story, do not go there prime time weekends (fri - sat, 7-11pm) and you could actually enjoy itSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/11/2014Waited over an hour even with a reservation .. Poorly operated seating system ..
- Try during the weekOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/7/2014We went on a Monday night and had no problems whatsoever with getting a table. The food was delicious and the service was friendly. I can understand it's probably nuts at the weekend, but we had a very romantic and lovely dinner experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rejected OpenTableFoodieNYCDined on 7/5/2014Bottom-line is Surf Lodge is not just a night club, but a parody of itself. They decided not to honor OpenTable reservations, instead keeping the restaurant closed to better prepare for an upcoming concert. I stood alongside many other frustrated patrons. We asked if we could at least eat and then clear out (after all the concert wasn't for another 5 hours). They said sure. We said okay. They said, well actually that's not going to work. A large group said they had spend considerable money on taxis coming for various parts of the hamptons. Surf Lodge offered to reimburse the funds. When taxi receipts started surfacing, the lady from surf lodge balked at the amounts and said can't help you.
- Go only for the drinks and music!IonlyspeakthetruthVIPDined on 6/29/2014The appearance of the food is dull and colorless. I was so looking forward to the visit but got sooo disappointed! To even mention this place and Acme in the same sentence is a disgrace.Special Features:
- Overpriced for the portion sizeSeafoodieDined on 6/29/2014For the price, the entree was tiny and left me starving. I had the fluke filet with ginger salad. It came drowning in a soup of who knows what and there was no salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good crowdSteveVIPDined on 6/27/2014Food is average and service not great. Crowd and view make up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SurprisedMontauk668Dined on 6/22/2014Pleasantly Surprised...Friendly Global staff serving fresh local seafood, seasonal vegetarian friendly fare and nice edited wine selection. Water front open air dining room, close to the happenings but the perfect distance to enjoy the food and company.Special Features:
- Door policy is out of controlSunandSurfDined on 6/21/2014Don't be late, in fact- be 15 mins early. The surf lodge door policy is out of control. We had an early dinner reservation and arrived on time. There was a line to get past security outside with random bar goers pushing to get to the front. By the time we passed security (15mins) and arrived at the host stand we were greeted with another line to check in- 20 mins later from our first arrival I was finally giving the hostess my name and we were told we were too late- a strict 15 min late policy... after pleading my case about the security line - the hostess decided to offer me a table but it would have to be inside as she'd given up our reservation. My suggestion to the restaurant- have a separate check in for restaurant goers.Special Features:
- A favorite brunch spot in MTKPrincess7VIPDined on 6/15/2014I am a New Yorker and have a home in MTK....and i have seen the Surf Lodge through its various owners and stages...way before it was the Surf Lodge. Ha. It wasn't until SL offered TRX last summer that i rediscovered it (as a place to exercise that is). Then we discovered Byrons brunch and it became our "go to" weekend brunch spot. Food divine (my favorite eggs/avocado....but they also make a great lobster roll and have a great Rose).....service is friendly and lovely....atmosphere (outside my preference....or inside) is beachy and lovely. SL crowd/scene is not my thing.....but Byrons is definitely worth it. It is now a weekly brunch spot for me/friends and "sometimes" our kids.Special Features:
- staffsheppDined on 6/13/2014this is the worst experience i have even been through. the staff were rude and treated us terribly. i will never ever go back to this place.
- Terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/7/2014After arriving on time for our 8:30 reservations for a party of 8, we were told that a table should be ready in 30 minutes. Once 9:00pm hit and we were still not seated, we asked the hostess again and were told that they knew who we were and can't control when tables get up and that we'd have to wait since they were "the only game in town". We were seated over an hour late and received terrible service for mediocre at best food. The bathroom line was 30 minutes long and it didn't matter to the staff that we'd miss the appetizers that we ordered while having to wait in line. Despite the great views and what was once a fun atmosphere, I will never be returning after our party was treated so rudely.
- The following 26 reviews are from the The Restaurant at The Surf Lodge reviews archive.
- didnt like the foodnyc321Dined on 5/25/2014The Surf Lodge came recommended by many but unfortunately the food for me was not impressive at all. We had a 945 reservation and didn't end up sitting until 1035 which was alright because my friends and I were having a good time at the bar. Our server was not very nice, and when we complained that our food was nothing special he told us that "we ordered late and that we shouldn't except the best food because well this is Montauk." I thought that was a horrible thing to say especially because he is representing your restaurant. Also, being that this IS Montauk, I would expect nothing but good food (especially because we all ordered seafood) OVERALL I would only go back for the drinks and and bar scene, nothing more.Special Features:
- great atmosphereKTRXDined on 5/25/2014decent food for what you'd expect to spend at a Hamptons hot spotSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jokefoodie4lifeVIPDined on 5/23/2014Made a res a few days before through opentable. Get an email an hour before that there was a glitch and they can't honor 8pm res but can walk in. We show at 830 and explain to hostess and she tells us that they would have honored res but we are 30 min late so we need Togo on waitlist for 2.5 hour wait. We walked over to waiter asked if we could take a table in lounge instead. We ordered. Worst lobster roll in Montauk. By far. Terrible seaweed salad... The kind that would grow in Jamaica bay. This place is a joke.
- Made a reservation at 8:45pmdinnerwaitDined on 9/14/2013Hostess offered us a table outside immediately where it was too cold to sit out (no one was outside). Said a table inside would be another 30 min wait. Hostess text at 10:10pm to offer us a table. When a reservation is made at a certain hour we expect to be seated promptly in an area that is reasonably fit for dinning. Will not return to this venue again.
- Only for the sceneOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/30/2013The food was not good at all the service was poor they completely rush you but the scene is fun. I wouldn't eat there again just go to bar for a drink.Special Features:
- SuperCbellaVIPDined on 8/19/2013Really enjoyed dinner recently at Byron. Very friendly and attentive service. Well prepared food. Good choice for Montauk dining.Special Features:
- Great ambiance. Food lackedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/8/2013Great ambiance. Food lacked flavor and seasoning. Hopefully the menu gets a makeover.Special Features:
- Surf LodgeDaniDined on 7/19/2013Great view on the water and lively ambience but food needs improving.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great vibeCMJ8VIPDined on 7/6/2013Has a good vibe, but the food was not great. Small portions for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, wasn't as snobby as onceOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/1/2013Setting and food outweigh the often snobby staffers, thanks for a lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere but too priceyAnabellDined on 6/13/2013I've always loved the surf lodge but after the last change in management or menu, the expensive restaurant became ridiculously expensive. My dish, I can't lie, was great. I had the tuna and my mom had the fluke. Her dish was okay- too overpowered by the sauce. We both agreed that we would not get it again. We both had entrees, a glass of wine and we had one dessert and I had a cup of coffee. All together, $156. After careful inspection of the itemized receipt, we noticed that the waiter had charged is for two rounds of drinks (something that I'm sure he's gotten away with before). After confronting him, he responded with a, "I'll see what I can do about it." YOU'll SEE? Fun atmosphere, but way too pricey and service was disappointing.Special Features: