The Restaurant at the Standard, Downtown LA
550 South Flower Street
Los Angeles, CA 90071Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Restaurant at the Standard, Downtown LA
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.standardhotel.com/
- Phone: (213) 892-8080 ext. 2030
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Sunday: 6:00am - 11:00am; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 12:00am; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 5:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chang Sivilay
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: The Standard, Downtown LA, features DJs spin daily in both the lobby and on the Rooftop Bar. Check our What's Happening Page on our website for updated events and live performances.
A word from The Restaurant at the Standard, Downtown LA
Located in the heart of Downtown Los Angeles, only blocks from Staples Center, Nokia Theater, and Walt Disney Concert Hall, The Restaurant at the Standard, Downtown LA features a 24-7 Restaurant for around-the clock breakfast, brunch, lunch and dinner. Executive Chef, Chang Sivilay offers his signature fun and palate pleasing twist to traditional classics. Craft cocktails, the famous Burger of the Week, daily specials and an extensive yet affordable wine list complete the superb dining experience. The staff is quintessential LA at its best. The setting, half-indoors and half-outdoors for terrace dining, is a throwback to 1950's glamour. Perfect for a quick business lunch, lingering dinner experience or a relaxed weekend boozy brunch. End your Restaurant experience with a visit poolside for cocktail on the spectacular Rooftop Bar. Keep in mind, however, that the highly popular Rooftop Bar does not take reservations and has limited capacity.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
The Restaurant at the Standard, Downtown LA - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
The Restaurant at the Standard, Downtown LA reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (12)great for lunch (10)fit for foodies (9)good for groups (9)late-night find (7)neighborhood gem (7)great for brunch (6)hot spot (6)vibrant bar scene (3)romantic (3)scenic view (3)special occasion (2)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Great brunchcutepoleDined on 11/16/2014Great brunch. We celebrated a birthday at the restaurant. The atmosphere was retro in the inside and relaxing for outside dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/4/2014Lovely spot for brunch or dinner. Enjoyed the rooftop bar as well, wonderful view from 13 floors up. Honestly, the Standard is a great destination all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placesydfishDined on 10/26/2014My favorite brunch spot in DTLA. Always good, wonderful decor, helpful service.Special Features:
- Great spot for dinnerLikeStandardDined on 9/27/2014We just had birthday party Saturday in the restaurant. We sat outside. it was great enviroment there. Good food and drinks and everybody had great time. The service is good too. Definitely a good spot for celebrating special event.Special Features:
- A New Low....Solo57VIPDined on 9/16/2014I go to this place all the time for an easy meal. It's fun, the food is usually very good and the scene is interesting. Unfortunately, the service was terrible. And the restaurant was empty. I will go back but with great trepidation.Special Features:
- NiniVIPDined on 8/25/2014Although service can be hit and miss here, the food is always good. On this occasion, Travis waited on our table and he's one of my favorites!Special Features:
- Staffing IssuesNiniVIPDined on 8/12/2014I frequent The Restaurant at The Standard for lunch since I work downtown. Usually, service is very good but they seemed to be very understaffed on this occasion. I was hosting 3 guests and was very disappointed as it appeared that we were invisible. Finally, I got up and approached the manager--or the person in charge (Jason). He eventually came to the table to apologize and brought us some complimentary appetizers. When we finally got a server (Manny), service resumed a normal pace. Not sure what the problem was but hopefully they've resolved it as continued poor service will certainly hurt then as respects the local clientele.Special Features:
- The following 218 reviews are from the The Restaurant at the Standard, Downtown LA reviews archive.
- Wonderful food & great serviceEva0801VIPDined on 7/23/2014This is a hidden gem for a downtown lunch. Jidori Chicken and Suka Bay Salmon was cooked and seasoned perfectly - so good I stopped conversation and just mentally concentrated on the how good it was. Baked apple sorbet tasted just like apple pie with a refreshing finish - loved it! Service was very helpful and accommodating.Special Features:
- GreggDined on 7/21/2014Delicious bouillabaisse with a fresh tomato puree base. Great scallops. Good wine selection by the glass including featured Washington state white wines.
- HorriblepiacabsDined on 7/20/2014They were so slow and they were just 6 tables occupied. We ordered our drinks first and they took so long on a Sunday! We didn't eat, we left. It was too hot and our drinks took so long.Special Features:
- Nice Spot in TownAlloveLizDined on 7/17/2014It was a great place for a light dinner before going to the rooftop, my girlfriend recommended it, she had the Organic Salmon and I had the Goat Cheese Ravioli both where outstanding. I would definitely return and recommend it.Special Features:
- bday celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/12/2014we were staynig the standard for my birthday and decided to have dinner at their restaurant. food was great and atmosphere was very fun. Service was slow but other than that, we had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bland foodamc3lifeDined on 6/29/2014Had the crispy chicken and the downtown benedict... not up to par. Outdoor dining was pleasant and service was good. But the food... you're killing me!Special Features:
- Meh.LadyscullerDined on 6/22/2014We went here for brunch after seeing pretty good yelp reviews. I should have followed my instinct and gone to Bottega Louis where I have eaten many times. While the service was exemplary, the waiter told us that because of the opening to the lobby all the cool air gets sucked out into the lobby leaving the restaurant way too hot. We should have just left at that point but inertia left us there. The food was overpriced for the quality. Nothing special about the menu. One of our teens wanted checked tenders and fries but that combo was not on the menu so we had to order it a la carte. Too spicy and over fried. The tuna nicoisè was fine. $70 for brunch seemed expensive for what we had. Bottega Louis for me next time.
- Awesome birthday dinnerJaydaLovesDined on 6/15/2014What an amazing way to celebrate my birthday! My halibut was amazing and the server made it more special with gelato and candles. We finished the night with dancing! This place is awesome! Add the fact that I can have such an elegant dining experience in the late hours after shopping and having fun with my girlfriends from out of state.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly Great FoodHuntingtonsBestDined on 6/15/2014This place is truly a neighborhood gem from the 1950's. Everything is upholstered in bright yellow, with formica tables. They also have a large outdoor patio area, which is very beautiful, so I suggest you choose the patio for your dinner. Aside from the ambience, the food and service were outstanding. Everybody in our group fell in love with the Portabello Fries, which are french fries made out of huge mushrooms. The Kale Salad was also a winner, as was the Crab & Ricotta Gnocchi and the Crispy Calamari with Green Goddess Dressing. Everything is made from scratch, including the GG dressing and the soup. The waiter checked in with us constantly to make sure we were happy, and indeed we were. Best service I've had in years!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Standard is Great - 24/7 ???GeoEsqDined on 6/14/2014My threesome was coming in from South LA County to see a LAFF special staged reading of a black list script last Saturday at The Los Angeles Theater. I wanted a fast, fun dinner before the 8:00 pm reading. There is nothing close to the theater and I largely chose 24/7 because they had a great rep, parking, and a quick, no hassle pre-show dinner. Shame we never got seated. The Standard Hotel's 24/7 restaurant is on the first floor, right off of the lobby, a fantastic place to join the Standard's party scene. Parking was hassle-free (if a tad bit dear at $20.00). When we walked into the 24/7 at 5:30 pm the place was all but empty - and nothing that we could do would scare up any hostess/waitstaff. We tried again in ten minutes. Nothing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yellow!La1960VIPDined on 5/29/2014The yellow decor of the restaurant is wonderful-ALL YELLOW! Love it. Try the pesto salad pizza. It was excellent. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- MustangDined on 5/21/2014Sandwich plate should have a pickle and radish, or something bright color. Use a bigger bun for the ahi tuna sandwich to hold in all parts. Thanks.... We enjoyed going up to the roof for a beer after lunch, as our mother was a guest from another state and the view was thrilling and very special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was okOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/16/2014Went with girlfriends for a night out in LA. It was nothing special, and we cabbed it from West Hollywood which wasn''t worth it.
- Sub-standardRiaRiaDined on 5/4/2014Cute and trendy if you're into the L.A. Scene. 2 star food.Special Features:
- Can't Go Wrong at The Restaurantsdr1066Dined on 4/29/2014The Restaurant always offers up great food. A can't miss is either the Burger of the Week or The Burger. The Portobello fries are out of this world.Special Features:
- Very Classy environment.Luv2dineDined on 4/19/2014A classy restaurant with great service and good food. If you want to have a romantic diner, or simply chatting time with your friends, this is a good place to go! I highly recommended it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/18/2014We were somewhat surprised by the food and atmosphere. Seemed like a millennial hang out, lots of tee shirts, grunge crowd. The food was excellent and hip/cool jazz in the lounge was great.Special Features:
- Surprisingly nice downtown diningWendyVIPDined on 3/11/2014The 1,000 point bonus convinced us to try the Restaurant at the Standard. When we first saw the small restaurant off the lobby, we worried, but it turned out the patio outside was also part of the restaurant, and with the balmy weather this week we headed out to the patio. A few steps and a tall bushy hedge provide both privacy and quiet ambiance on the patio even though the entrance is right on a downtown street. The menu is somewhat limited but we saw several items that sounded appetizing and both decided to try the skirt steak entree and share portobello fries. The food was amazing! Perfectly cooked, nicely presented, and generous portions. The patio was great for warm weather dining, especially during daylight savings hours!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great find!foodieDined on 2/28/2014excellent food and service, attentive staff. great drinks, nice and strong. had terrrific turkey corn chowder and prime rib burger. open 24 hours, which is great for LA! my one qualm is that it is a bit dark in there...just a little more light would be nice.Special Features:
- Birthday dinner ruinedNaraDined on 2/21/2014HORRIBLE SERVICE AND FOOD. I WILL NOT BE PAYING ANOTHER VISIT.Special Features:
- Ok if your 21.SusanDined on 2/8/2014Sorry. Overpriced and for Children. Ping Pong? Forget this place if your an Adult
- Just Wow.liser67Dined on 2/4/2014We celebrated my husband's 5th "Re-Birthday" - 5 years in remission from a cancer he was told he would not survive. Yeah, you could say it was a special occasion. The atmosphere is retro cool and the food was as well presented as it was delicious. Top notch all the way! At dessert time, a special tray of assorted awesome was presented and on the plate written in caramel sauce: "Happy Re-Birthday!" Mind you - I had NOT arranged for this. I was planning to ask Tracy, our waiter, to place a candle in whatever my husband might order, but this was a thousand times better and so completely unexpected! But wait, there's more! As the checks were passed out to our guests, Tracy said that my meal and my husband's were on the house! Just...wow...Special Features:
- My birthday dinnerBdaygirlDined on 2/1/2014So I got there and the host was great very polite and nice. I wouldn't recommend rhis place to a friends and I have it one star because the waiter was horrible. He was so rude, didn't even converse with us. He shouldn't be a waiter with that attitude. It was for my birthday and they asked for a little treat with a candle, he didn't even being it out he has another waiter being it out to us. The other waiter was so nice, he even took a picture for us. But our waiter was horrible , by far one of the worst waiters I've had .Special Features:
- Great Service and food!MonaVIPDined on 1/31/2014Had a great time! Good service and food as well as the drinks.Special Features:
- Not very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 1/30/2014I was expecting a really good formal restaurant but was surprised by the hipster decor. The bright yellow furnishing would be blinding if it wasn't cloudy there. The food was okay, but I was expecting something more. The chicken was dry and overcooked, but the salad was serviceable. The dessert was nothing special. My server was barely there and it was not easy to get refills on the water. I definitely will not be back as there are much better choices to dine in the neighbourhood.Special Features:
- Never AgainFoodieDined on 1/29/2014What was DineLa thinking when they allowed this restaurant to participate in restaurant week?! It looked like as coffee shop from the 50's. The waiters look like musicians who ended up as waiters on the side. The food, the chicken could not be bitten into, dry! We ordered some seafood ginocchi that smelled to awful to try! Worst DineLA experience ever! Maybe you should have tried the food first before adding it to your well respected list?!
- Food was poorIvanCWangVIPDined on 1/27/2014The dishes offered for DineLA was so poor, provided that $20 for 3 course meal was like a joke for tiny little three items and none of them taste good at all.
- Birthday out and aboutmike714crimelabDined on 1/24/2014When I arrive with my friend the girls where waiting for us in the restateurant, The food was ok, service no so good you need more friendly service experts, What it got me upset was a lady by the restaurant bar she was really loud. I also didn't like the fact that after we had our dinner we had to go outside get in line to go to the rooftop, you guys should offer a wrist band to dinners, 20$ still good but you should at least take a litte apreciation to clients in the restaauran by waiving the wait time at the line
- Dat Black Spaghetti!DrinkableFeastDined on 1/17/2014I came to The Standard for dinner with a friend. Made reservations for an early dinner at 6:30pm, realized it was TOO early so the maitre d' recommended we head on up to the rooftop bar. Great advice! Amazing view, uber hip, excellent atmosphere. Back to The Restaurant: The interior? Yellow, like very yellow, in a cool, retro-chic kinda way. The waitress was nice enough. Started with the tuna tartar and Portobello fries...flavor country! Delicious! My friend ordered a Pimm's cup and a Martini, for myself, to drink. The Pimm's cup was fresh and flavorful, the Martini was watery and weak (sad face). My friend ordered the Pappardelle whilst I had the Black Spaghetti. TRY THE BLACK SPAGHETTI!!! We both thought it was the best dish of the night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SteakjuliaDined on 1/15/2014I had the steak, it was ok. Not particularly outstanding, but definitely good. I believe the place is open 24 hs so its a good late-night find. I ate at the bar, service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They didn't have my tableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/14/2014They didn't have my table ready and initially said they didn't have my reservation. The hostess later found my reservation and got a table ready. Thankfully, they weren't full so were able to get my table ready relatively quickly but it was as if I didn't have a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting food combinationsTravelerVIPDined on 12/30/2013The food was available in small plates and entree sizes which is appreciated. The pretzel bread was delicious. The beet salad could have used some "greens" beyond the chives. The beets were tasty, and the burrata was nice, but rich. A few leaves of green lettuce-y something would have been appreciated. The lamb ribs were unique and nicely prepared. Appreciated the vegan options and the dessert menu was tempting. It was a bit dark for our older eyes, but we are clearly not the target audience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a Christmas spotRonhawkDined on 12/25/2013I think the Standard was unprepared for their holiday diners. Although the food was good it was not very hot when it got to our table. I was a bit curious about the bar; the bartender didn't appear to be terribly busy but the drinks took forever to show up. I was about to cancel our second round as we had finished and were nearly ready to leave when they arrived. My wife had ordered a Vesper and described it as a James Bond martini but the bartender needed a recipe. Not sure why they asked instead of using Google. At some point I think I may try them again but perhaps sit outdoors and not on a holiday.