The Restaurant at the Cheshire
7036 Clayton ave
Saint Louis, MO 63117Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Restaurant at the Cheshire
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.restaurant-stl.com/
- Phone: 314-932-7818x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday: 11:30 am - 3 pm
Tuesday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10 pm
Friday - Saturday: 11:30am - 11 pm
Sunday: 10 am - 2 pm, 5 pm - 9 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Rex Hale
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Happy Hour 4:30 to 6:30 Tuesday through Saturday.
1/2 off all absinthe, absinthe cocktails, and "you call it it" with the exception high end bourbons and scotches. $5 red & white house wine as well as "small plates" for $5!!
A word from The Restaurant at the Cheshire
The Restaurant's mission is to present a seasonally inspired menu that celebrates the bounty of flavors from right here in our community.Continued
The menu changes daily, giving our team the flexibility to experiment with what's in season in order to deliver a unique dining experience every time you visit.
The menu changes daily, giving our team the flexibility to experiment with what's in season in order to deliver a unique dining experience every time you visit.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
The Restaurant at the Cheshire - Best Restaurants in Clayton ›
The Restaurant at the Cheshire reviews from OpenTable diners
111 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (54)fit for foodies (49)romantic (41)neighborhood gem (38)notable wine list (36)great for brunch (25)good for groups (23)hot spot (10)vibrant bar scene (9)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (7)late-night find (6)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- rexannDined on 8/29/2014It was a special anniversary for us. Our daughter had ordered a bottle of wine and left a card for us. The staff was very gracious and even gave us a free dessert to celebrate the event. Food was excellent and served with attention but not over powering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Ahi TunaSonocekDined on 8/26/2014First time here. Wonderful experience!!! Had the Peppered Ahi Tuna and was blown away. Literally, the Best Fish I have ever had. Cooked to perfection and left me saying Wow!! after every bite. Will be back !!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gcvmd1VIPDined on 8/23/2014very good food and nice atmosphere. Ray is an excellent waiter and sommelier is quite knowledgeable.Special Features:
- Great anniversary dinner!CraigVIPDined on 8/21/2014My wife and I decided to celebrate our anniversary at the Cheshire -- our first visit since their renovation. The food was excellent but the service was even better. The waitress was helpful and the manager stopped by the table. We also got a nice dessert on the house. Delightful evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great All AroundRickVIPDined on 8/21/2014Second time dining at the "new" Cheshire and it was even better this time. One of the two best prime ribs in St. Louis, but our party of 4 had a variety of dishes. Tomatoes in season were wonderful. Oysters were fresh. Salads were good, as was the fish. Appreciated great service from sommelier Patricia and server Jay. Prices are a little steep, so be prepared. But for a celebration, business or other special dinner, this St. Louis institution is a great choice.Special Features:
- Great Dining ExperienceFineDiningDined on 8/17/2014I took my wife there for her birthday and had a great experience with the ambiance and taste of food. I thought that the music was a bit too loud when we first walked in through the bar area but it seemed to moderate once we got to our table. Overall, I would recommend going to The Restaurant at The Chesire.Special Features:
- Evening outearlDined on 8/15/2014Nice evening out before the Muny. Shuttle service as well. Our family enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/10/2014The beignets were hard and over-cooked.We tod the waitress but she didn't do anything about it.Everything else was fienSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine and service outstandingwinofoodieDined on 8/3/2014After reading reviews about all the changes at Cheshire Inn, I was eager to visit. Our service was outstanding. We had a lovely and very personable waitress. The wine was varied and plentiful. It was evident that the somm is working hard to make sure to live up to the expectations of wine lovers. The food was meh. I ordered the "shellifish" dish (no one had ever noticed the typo on the menu before apparently). The shrimp were very very little and clearly were not fresh. I probably had the most petite mussels to be found, and regarding scallops, I believe there was one cut in pieces. One of the party ordered the prime rib rare and it was not. Would go back to the bar for drinks but that's it for now. Disappointed.Special Features:
- Especially for the AtmosphereChurlsVIPDined on 8/2/2014Possibly our favorite restaurant for atmosphere. The lighting, high ceiling, speciousness and quietness. Our food was excellently prepared, but the portions a bit small. The heirloom tomatoes that come with the salmon is especially good. The blueberry cobbler dessert was outstanding, too. Our server was very pleasant and attentive.Special Features:
- Italianlove81Dined on 7/20/2014Great drinks and great food in a classy modern atmosphere. Perfect for a special occasion.Special Features:
- DisappointingMicheleVIPDined on 7/15/2014We have been here about a year ago and had a great dinner. This time we thought we would come for dinner prior to The Muny with our 2 kids. I felt the prices for the kids meal was very expensive for what they got. My son's burger was ordered well and came out med rare and this fries looked like they were dropped in grease, cooked for 2 minutes to get brown en put on the plate soggy and soaked in grease...all for $12. My other son got pene noodles with cheese that's it for $12. My husbamd's prime rib was delicious, but my short ribs entree was a very small portion for the price. We told our waitress we wanted to get the 745pm shuttle to the Muny and she brought out bill at 750, we missed the shuttle and were late to the show.
- Ideal for Business or PleasureLunchInTheLouDined on 7/14/2014Went here for the first time for a business meeting; there were four in our party, and all enjoyed it. Food was very tasty all around. I had the Cheshire Burger, which was cooked to my specifications. The bacon on top was indescribably delicious; over-the-top salty and savory. I think I raved about it more than the burger itself! Fries were also tasty. Service was stellar, and food came quick. Perfect for a business lunch, though I could see myself coming here for a relaxed meal with friends. All in all, superb -- The Restaurant at the Cheshire made four new friends!!Special Features:
- Disappointednot2dinDined on 7/12/2014We were very disappointed with this restaurant. We had great memories of the Cheshire and then were terribly disappointed with the food. We got an excellent table, very romantic. We ordered a nice bottle of wine. The service was good. Our waiter told us they were known for their prime rib. My husband ordered prime rib and I ordered filet. I can honestly say it is the worst filet I have ever eaten. My husband didn't finish his meal (which is very unusual). The mashed potatoes were greasy and the green beans were very crunchy. Luckily, we were caught up in the romantic moment of a long-deserved night out so we refrained from complaining. When we received the bill we couldn't believe we were going to pay such a high price for such a terrible.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/6/2014Way overpriced! Food was very average. Service was ok. Won't be back.
- Truely THE RestaurantAlf1Dined on 6/29/2014We had a most pleasant and satisfying brunch experience at The Restaurant, associated with the CHeshire Inn. Especially notable are the cheesy grits which appear to be available only during their sSunday brunch. The atmosphere is very comfotable and allows those interested to sit close to the open kitchen to watch to cooks and chef work there magic. The service was excellent without being intusive. We cannot wait to return again. Tumbs up all the way around.Special Features:
- Embarrassing itemEmbarrassingDined on 6/28/2014I got the MUNY special, which was a 3 course meal. Main course was Brisket - awesome. Dessert - gooey butter cake - awesome. I order for the appetizer the butch selection - description said sausages, cured meats, etc. Think I would get some good meat and maybe some cheese I ordered it. Our came a small serving of Duck Pate (not bad) and literally 3 slices of Bologna. Looked just like the stuff from the store minus the red plastic on the edge. Surely they would not serve me this - so I tasted it. Yep Bologna. I think technically a sausage. But probably the cheapest form of meat outside the hot dog. Needless to say - not eaten. Server basically said it was also Bologna. All food for the table good except that. EMBARRASSING!!!!Special Features:
- Does not disappointmrfreezeDined on 6/27/2014I've been here a couple of times now, and can't wait to come back again. The food is great (try the pork belly appetizer, and prime rib main course), the atmosphere is upscale and unique, and the service is outstanding. I'd love to just hang out at the bar sometime too - the wine selection is extensive, and they have a good cocktail list as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 45th AnniversaryNaricocaCrewDined on 6/27/2014New décor is nice but we miss the old English Tudor look. Not crazy about the modern light fixtures in Great Hall. Food was great -- esp the pork belly starter. prime rib and filet both top notch. Booths very comfortable. Service was very good with a helpful and knowledgeable server.Special Features:
- great way to see MUNYMunicipalOperaDined on 6/22/2014My wife and I chose to enjoy a MUNY special including transportation to and from the venue. The MENU was very good and price conscious, service was excellent, a fish substitution was allowed for the same price, and convenience for the MUNY venue was superlative. The waiter also gave us a rundown of the musical "Billy Elliott" and it's star, which we were about to see. Overall, a very enjoyable night.Special Features:
- Great!tildyDined on 6/20/2014My granddaughter and I thoroughly enjoyed our meals at The Restaurant...Excellent food and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/12/2014We really enjoyed the service, atmosphere, food and wine at The Restaurant at the Cheshire. I had been wanting to try it and was not disappointed. I had the braised beef short ribs and my husband had the the halibut and we were both really happy with our meals. I would recommend this place to friends as a nice dinner out option.Special Features:
- Very expensive cauliflowerGo4grubDined on 6/11/2014Four out of five of us had the cauliflower steak (grilled stab of cauliflower with a bit of sauce), and they split side salads. The other order was a cup of soup and over drenched salad that was pretty awful. Four had one drink. One had two glasses of not fancy wine. The bill $225. The cauliflower was $20 which means they are getting at least $40 for one head of cauliflower.Special Features:
- A tasty time!MsMayDined on 6/10/2014I chose the Restaurant at the Cheshire on a whim, a group of us were meeting up for dinner before a concert and wanted to try something new. Everything from the cocktail list, the bar, the service and the outstanding meal was wonderful and local. We will all be returning and with more friends.Special Features:
- asundaynightsupperAdinner2rememberDined on 6/8/2014The dining experience for a group of eight was handled flawlessly by the server, a feat in itself. Our food was prepared as requested (steaks) and the menu was eclectic with choices for all. Appetizers were shared with enthusiasm because they were excellent. A rare request for the French Martini was mixed by someone who has bar experience. Portions were ample and all in attendance plan to return in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/7/2014We are early before a concert so it was empty and could not judge the noise level. Prices higher than comparable restaurants. Temp too cold in restaurant and other tables complained. Food was fine. Items listed to share were not enough for the table. Overall good but not fabulous.Special Features:
- noooVIPDined on 6/6/2014Tasting menus are rarely inexpensive, but the values of the tasting menus at The Restaurant are very good. They even make adding the wine pairings enticing. They also try to accommodate many different preferences: There are two traditional tasting menus; one seafood based menu; and even one vegetarian menu. We had a large party on our visit, so were able to try many different things. Not every dish was exquisite, but several were and all of the flavors were great. Service was also excellent. We'll go back.
- CIOFSDined on 6/6/2014Great place with great food. Used to go there all the time, will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food matched with ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/4/2014We went for an work celebration. Brent was our server and he was more than knowledgeable about pairings of wines with and entrees. We had a variety of of appetizers and they did not disappoint. The mussels were amazing and the smoked salmon was a perfect light dish (Both of which were suggested by Brent). I really liked the cheese board as well. The scallops were impossible to keep away from everyone. They quickly became a shared dish based on how amazing they were. I had the prime rib, perfect cut, perfect rare temperature. Perfect place for groups or intimate settings. The food will bring you back, the service will keep you coming back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at the RestAurantfoodie989Dined on 6/1/2014My husband and I went here for our 1st wedding anniversary. As soon as we were seated our waiter brought water and congratulated us. He proceeded to bring champagne and say don't worry about the tasting menus because he had our appetizer and dessert already planned. When we ordered our main dinners he was incredibly knowledgeable about the menu. We were expecting them to be brought out 20 minutes later at best so we were incredibly suprised when it was only 10 minutes when our food arrived. Everything was delicious! Then he brought out a tasting plate for dessert and it just made the night. He deserved the huge tip he got. We were very happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!LindaDined on 5/31/2014We had a fantastic experience. Our waitress, Jenna, made excellent recommendations. When one of our group's filet was overlooked, they quickly redid it perfectly, apologized sincerely, and brought complimentary desserts, and comped the filet. The other four dinners were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another solid experienceExperiencedDinerDined on 5/29/2014I have been coming here for a few years and always get the same consistent service and amazing food. Server gave us many recommendations for the table. All the way from appetizers to dessert. Oysters were fresh and amazing, the tomato salads had by the table were a big hit and ahi tuna and scallops were just the beginning of many great entrees. If you have questions, the servers are well versed and understand what is in the food. The knowledge of the food is what can make or break a service. They made it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulPleasantDined on 5/28/2014Our experience could not have been better. I can not remember a more thoughtful staff...and the food was superb! They made our dining experience unforgettable! Even though I live 4 hours away...I'll be back and I'll bring friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting MenuMGCCDined on 5/21/2014On our visit to The Restaurant we tried the tasting menu, including wine with every plate, and was such an excellent experience, besides, our server gives us an excellent service and suggestions. Great night, great food.Special Features:
- cozyLA2STLLadyDined on 5/18/2014We love to sit in the booths at this restaurant. They are super comfortable and cozy with good, mellow lighting. The food is consistently good and there is something on the menu for everyone, from burgers to fish. It's pricey, but worth it for a special night out.Special Features:
- BBBTDined on 5/17/2014The service, food and atmosphere was outstanding and the surroundings were very comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- World class chefwinegeekDined on 5/17/2014What a terrific surprise it was to dine at the Restaurant at the Cheshire. I was literally floored to find out they had landed a world class chef named Rex Hale. Rex has cooked all over North America and Western Europe and his breadth of experience certainly showed in our dinner. The food is innovative, refined, well executed, reflective of the season and extremely reasonably priced. His tasting menu is worth twice the asking price. Seldom have I enjoyed all aspects of dinner like I did this one. The service is friendly, unassuming, and very personal. Pace of the meal is perfect and the wine service is very enthusiastic and helpful. How the Cheshire managed to get Rex "back home" is a mystery that shouldn't be missed.Special Features:
- Another Fantastic Dining ExperienceSpecialNightOutDined on 5/17/2014Saturday was the third time we have had the pleasure of eating at the Restaurant. This time we brought along a family that was celebrating their son's graduation from SLU and they were truly overwhelmed by our experience. Between us, we tried the brisket, scallops, and prime rib (which they split) dishes. Each of the entrees was excellent. The waiter convinced us to try the pickled beet salad, which none of us had ever tried before. What a wonderful suggestion and everyone enjoyed it. But perhaps the best part of the evening was the courtesy and friendliness of the service. The waiter filled us in on some of the history of the Cheshire Inn. The history lesson was the unexpected icing on the cake that will make our evening memorable.Special Features:
- Great SteakTommygunDined on 5/14/2014I had a filet and my wife had the prime rib. Both were cooked to perfection and outstanding. The salads were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd floor is lacklusterjzimmer499VIPDined on 5/11/2014Usually enjoy this place but went for Mother's Day brunch and ended up sitting in 2nd floor banquet room; very boring and nondescript. Does not compare to the main floor of restaurant. Service was very good and our waitress quite attentive. We didn't eat until 1:30 and some of the food had been out past its prime. While some things were quite good, things like waffles and their version of eggs Benedict needed to be replaced with fresher items. The salumi tray was not very nicely presented and looked like they have just dumped big stacks on the tray without any real regard to its visual appearance. Nice job at carving station and omelet station as well as great bacon and an interesting paneed chicken dish. Not worth $55 per head.