The Restaurant at the Cheshire
7036 Clayton ave
Saint Louis, MO 63117Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Restaurant at the Cheshire
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.restaurant-stl.com/
- Phone: 314-932-7818x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday: 11:00 am - 3 pm
Tuesday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10 pm
Friday: 11:00am - 11 pm
Saturday: 9:00am - 11:00 pm
Sunday: 9:00 am - 9:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Rex Hale
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Happy Hour 4:00pm to 7:00pm Tuesday through Friday.
7 for 7 til 7!
7 appetizers & drinks for $7/ each.
A word from The Restaurant at the Cheshire
The Restaurant's mission is to present a seasonally inspired menu that celebrates the bounty of flavors from right here in our community.Continued
The menu changes daily, giving our team the flexibility to experiment with what's in season in order to deliver a unique dining experience every time you visit.
The menu changes daily, giving our team the flexibility to experiment with what's in season in order to deliver a unique dining experience every time you visit.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
The Restaurant at the Cheshire - Best Restaurants in Clayton ›
The Restaurant at the Cheshire reviews from OpenTable diners
92 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (45)special occasion (42)romantic (37)neighborhood gem (31)notable wine list (27)good for groups (14)great for brunch (12)great for lunch (9)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (5)hot spot (5)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Food OkPamellaDined on 10/16/2014Food was ok. Tuna I ordered was not prepared to the degree of doneness I requested. Food came out way too fast, as if it was prepared before w ever ordered. We didn't have enough time to enjoy our first cocktail or glass of wine. I would however go back to give them another chance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistantly greatOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/11/2014The restaurant has become our go-to place. While we enjoy trying new, and returning to some old favorites in St. Louis, we have been consistently impressed with the food, service, and ambiance of the place.Special Features:
- twistDined on 10/11/2014We had dinner here on Oct 11 with a family group of six ranging age from 12 to 80 plus. All of us thoroughly enjoyed our appetizers and entrees and the service was excellent. I look forward to dining here again when back in town.Special Features:
- Service is terribleemerilVIPDined on 10/10/2014seated then waited 10 mins to get waitress finally had to flag one down Then waited on water , ordered bottle of wine then waited another 10 mins for somelier ( who did do a great job ) showed up Ordered meal then finally after 20 + mins ( not super busy many many seats in back area of restaurant open ) received soup, meal and salad all at once but he cheese tray my wife ordered didn't show up Reminded waitress 10 mins later reminded her again manager came by 10 mins later finally cheese tray (appetizer) shows up
- Great Placeowlfan2VIPDined on 10/10/2014The service, food were great. My son was in a hurry and they recognized this and got his salad and entree out right away. Everything was terrific from start to finishSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- so sonightowlDined on 10/4/2014We were excited to go to the Cheshire a place that we have pleasant memories. The place looks great huge fireplace, dark woods. The food is what did not play out well for us. Besides being $$$ it was just so so. No great flavors in either the duck or prime rib. We would recommend this as a place for drinks or if you wanted to make a impression and did not care if the food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful atmosphere & great foodTomCDined on 9/28/2014Been there 3 times and have been happy every time. Just note prices run a little steep.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good Every TimeRickVIPDined on 9/27/2014Our third visit since they re-opened a few years ago and it was again very good. While I had the signature prime rib with yorkshire pudding, which was excellent, the rest of the table had the halibut and also loved theirs. Their take on a wedge salad was inventive, with butter lettuce and a lighter dressing than traditional wedge. Desserts were large enough portions to split. The wine director knows her stuff and recommended good cocktails.Special Features:
- Birth-a-versaryOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/20/2014My husband and I went to celebrate our Birthdays and Anniversary. Everything was lovely, but it was our server who made the night memorable. Her name was Jessa and she was amazing. I'd go back just to experience the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice, uniqueLaurenSDined on 9/14/2014The food was very good and came out quickly. The drink menu looked great. Definitely pricey but a nice experience. I managed to walk off without my cardigan and the girl who brought out our food (not our waiter, waiter's assistant maybe?) ran out of the restaurant and chased us down as we walked home. I was really impressed, I know at a lot of places the waitstaff isn't that motivated (especially after we'd already left) so the meal ended on an unusually high note.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not GreatmbexrfVIPDined on 9/13/2014Prior to entering the restaurant, we had to deal with the rude valet. I had the vegetarian tasting menu and was disappointed by most of the courses. The first course was two pieces of warm tomato that were fair. A more substantial salad would have been appreciated. The cauliflower steak was extra large pieces of poorly seasoned, difficult to eat cauliflower. One of my guests, who also ordered the tasting menu, could not even eat it. Again, I expected more of a creative preparation. The dessert course was brought out before the rest of my guests even ordered their desserts. Being vegetarian does not mean that you have to eat boring and tasteless food.Special Features:
- Buckeye85Dined on 9/12/2014We enjoyed the experience. It was my daughter and my birthday celebration and they provided us with a free dessert for both of us that was excellent. The prime rib was especially good and two of us split it. We would return again sometime if we had the opportunity. 20% discount since we were staying at Cheshire Hotel.Special Features:
- Pricey but deliciousbirthdaygirlDined on 9/9/2014The three of us enjoyed our food to the upmost. It was a real treat, but very expensive; definitely an experience for a special occasion, but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for older dinersBordengroteDined on 9/6/2014My wife and I went here for our tenth anniversary. We are in our mid thirties. Atmosphere: The restaurant was well appointed. The tables are spaced well so you don't feel crowded like some other spots. The noise level was actually pretty nice, with music playing at a decent level. It felt like a place our parents would appreciate more than we would. Food: We got the Crispy Smoked Pork Belly app and for entrees I got the Sea Scallops and she got the Halibut. The food was actually quite good. Portions were slightly small for the money. Both the scallops and the halibut were well seasoned and cooked perfectly. The plating was ho hum, but the flavors were spot on. We also got desert, the Chocolate Caramel Mouse, and it was fantastic.Special Features:
- Fantastic ...again!JennDined on 9/4/2014Every time I come here it is fantastic. Clients are always impressed. Phenomenal for business dinners or groups and special occasions.Special Features:
- rexannDined on 8/29/2014It was a special anniversary for us. Our daughter had ordered a bottle of wine and left a card for us. The staff was very gracious and even gave us a free dessert to celebrate the event. Food was excellent and served with attention but not over powering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Ahi TunaSonocekDined on 8/26/2014First time here. Wonderful experience!!! Had the Peppered Ahi Tuna and was blown away. Literally, the Best Fish I have ever had. Cooked to perfection and left me saying Wow!! after every bite. Will be back !!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gcvmd1VIPDined on 8/23/2014very good food and nice atmosphere. Ray is an excellent waiter and sommelier is quite knowledgeable.Special Features:
- Great anniversary dinner!CraigVIPDined on 8/21/2014My wife and I decided to celebrate our anniversary at the Cheshire -- our first visit since their renovation. The food was excellent but the service was even better. The waitress was helpful and the manager stopped by the table. We also got a nice dessert on the house. Delightful evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great All AroundRickVIPDined on 8/21/2014Second time dining at the "new" Cheshire and it was even better this time. One of the two best prime ribs in St. Louis, but our party of 4 had a variety of dishes. Tomatoes in season were wonderful. Oysters were fresh. Salads were good, as was the fish. Appreciated great service from sommelier Patricia and server Jay. Prices are a little steep, so be prepared. But for a celebration, business or other special dinner, this St. Louis institution is a great choice.Special Features:
- Great Dining ExperienceFineDiningDined on 8/17/2014I took my wife there for her birthday and had a great experience with the ambiance and taste of food. I thought that the music was a bit too loud when we first walked in through the bar area but it seemed to moderate once we got to our table. Overall, I would recommend going to The Restaurant at The Chesire.Special Features:
- Evening outearlDined on 8/15/2014Nice evening out before the Muny. Shuttle service as well. Our family enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/10/2014The beignets were hard and over-cooked.We tod the waitress but she didn't do anything about it.Everything else was fienSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine and service outstandingwinofoodieDined on 8/3/2014After reading reviews about all the changes at Cheshire Inn, I was eager to visit. Our service was outstanding. We had a lovely and very personable waitress. The wine was varied and plentiful. It was evident that the somm is working hard to make sure to live up to the expectations of wine lovers. The food was meh. I ordered the "shellifish" dish (no one had ever noticed the typo on the menu before apparently). The shrimp were very very little and clearly were not fresh. I probably had the most petite mussels to be found, and regarding scallops, I believe there was one cut in pieces. One of the party ordered the prime rib rare and it was not. Would go back to the bar for drinks but that's it for now. Disappointed.Special Features:
- Especially for the AtmosphereChurlsVIPDined on 8/2/2014Possibly our favorite restaurant for atmosphere. The lighting, high ceiling, speciousness and quietness. Our food was excellently prepared, but the portions a bit small. The heirloom tomatoes that come with the salmon is especially good. The blueberry cobbler dessert was outstanding, too. Our server was very pleasant and attentive.Special Features:
- Italianlove81Dined on 7/20/2014Great drinks and great food in a classy modern atmosphere. Perfect for a special occasion.Special Features:
- DisappointingMicheleVIPDined on 7/15/2014We have been here about a year ago and had a great dinner. This time we thought we would come for dinner prior to The Muny with our 2 kids. I felt the prices for the kids meal was very expensive for what they got. My son's burger was ordered well and came out med rare and this fries looked like they were dropped in grease, cooked for 2 minutes to get brown en put on the plate soggy and soaked in grease...all for $12. My other son got pene noodles with cheese that's it for $12. My husbamd's prime rib was delicious, but my short ribs entree was a very small portion for the price. We told our waitress we wanted to get the 745pm shuttle to the Muny and she brought out bill at 750, we missed the shuttle and were late to the show.
- Ideal for Business or PleasureLunchInTheLouDined on 7/14/2014Went here for the first time for a business meeting; there were four in our party, and all enjoyed it. Food was very tasty all around. I had the Cheshire Burger, which was cooked to my specifications. The bacon on top was indescribably delicious; over-the-top salty and savory. I think I raved about it more than the burger itself! Fries were also tasty. Service was stellar, and food came quick. Perfect for a business lunch, though I could see myself coming here for a relaxed meal with friends. All in all, superb -- The Restaurant at the Cheshire made four new friends!!Special Features:
- Disappointednot2dinDined on 7/12/2014We were very disappointed with this restaurant. We had great memories of the Cheshire and then were terribly disappointed with the food. We got an excellent table, very romantic. We ordered a nice bottle of wine. The service was good. Our waiter told us they were known for their prime rib. My husband ordered prime rib and I ordered filet. I can honestly say it is the worst filet I have ever eaten. My husband didn't finish his meal (which is very unusual). The mashed potatoes were greasy and the green beans were very crunchy. Luckily, we were caught up in the romantic moment of a long-deserved night out so we refrained from complaining. When we received the bill we couldn't believe we were going to pay such a high price for such a terrible.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/6/2014Way overpriced! Food was very average. Service was ok. Won't be back.
- Truely THE RestaurantAlf1Dined on 6/29/2014We had a most pleasant and satisfying brunch experience at The Restaurant, associated with the CHeshire Inn. Especially notable are the cheesy grits which appear to be available only during their sSunday brunch. The atmosphere is very comfotable and allows those interested to sit close to the open kitchen to watch to cooks and chef work there magic. The service was excellent without being intusive. We cannot wait to return again. Tumbs up all the way around.Special Features:
- Embarrassing itemEmbarrassingDined on 6/28/2014I got the MUNY special, which was a 3 course meal. Main course was Brisket - awesome. Dessert - gooey butter cake - awesome. I order for the appetizer the butch selection - description said sausages, cured meats, etc. Think I would get some good meat and maybe some cheese I ordered it. Our came a small serving of Duck Pate (not bad) and literally 3 slices of Bologna. Looked just like the stuff from the store minus the red plastic on the edge. Surely they would not serve me this - so I tasted it. Yep Bologna. I think technically a sausage. But probably the cheapest form of meat outside the hot dog. Needless to say - not eaten. Server basically said it was also Bologna. All food for the table good except that. EMBARRASSING!!!!Special Features:
- Does not disappointmrfreezeDined on 6/27/2014I've been here a couple of times now, and can't wait to come back again. The food is great (try the pork belly appetizer, and prime rib main course), the atmosphere is upscale and unique, and the service is outstanding. I'd love to just hang out at the bar sometime too - the wine selection is extensive, and they have a good cocktail list as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 45th AnniversaryNaricocaCrewDined on 6/27/2014New décor is nice but we miss the old English Tudor look. Not crazy about the modern light fixtures in Great Hall. Food was great -- esp the pork belly starter. prime rib and filet both top notch. Booths very comfortable. Service was very good with a helpful and knowledgeable server.Special Features:
- The following 351 reviews are from the The Restaurant at the Cheshire reviews archive.
- great way to see MUNYMunicipalOperaDined on 6/22/2014My wife and I chose to enjoy a MUNY special including transportation to and from the venue. The MENU was very good and price conscious, service was excellent, a fish substitution was allowed for the same price, and convenience for the MUNY venue was superlative. The waiter also gave us a rundown of the musical "Billy Elliott" and it's star, which we were about to see. Overall, a very enjoyable night.Special Features:
- Great!tildyDined on 6/20/2014My granddaughter and I thoroughly enjoyed our meals at The Restaurant...Excellent food and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/12/2014We really enjoyed the service, atmosphere, food and wine at The Restaurant at the Cheshire. I had been wanting to try it and was not disappointed. I had the braised beef short ribs and my husband had the the halibut and we were both really happy with our meals. I would recommend this place to friends as a nice dinner out option.Special Features:
- Very expensive cauliflowerGo4grubDined on 6/11/2014Four out of five of us had the cauliflower steak (grilled stab of cauliflower with a bit of sauce), and they split side salads. The other order was a cup of soup and over drenched salad that was pretty awful. Four had one drink. One had two glasses of not fancy wine. The bill $225. The cauliflower was $20 which means they are getting at least $40 for one head of cauliflower.Special Features:
- A tasty time!MsMayDined on 6/10/2014I chose the Restaurant at the Cheshire on a whim, a group of us were meeting up for dinner before a concert and wanted to try something new. Everything from the cocktail list, the bar, the service and the outstanding meal was wonderful and local. We will all be returning and with more friends.Special Features:
- asundaynightsupperAdinner2rememberDined on 6/8/2014The dining experience for a group of eight was handled flawlessly by the server, a feat in itself. Our food was prepared as requested (steaks) and the menu was eclectic with choices for all. Appetizers were shared with enthusiasm because they were excellent. A rare request for the French Martini was mixed by someone who has bar experience. Portions were ample and all in attendance plan to return in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.