1115 Granville Street
Vancouver, BC V6Z 1M1Neighborhood:
Granville Entertainment District
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.therefineryvancouver.com/
- Phone: 6046878001
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday- Thursday 5pm-1am Friday - Saturday 5pm-2am Monday - Sunday: available for private functions and special events
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Kirk Morrison
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Executive luncheons and chef events can be arranged, please contact us for more information.
- Special Events: Please visit our website for more info on special events, educational seminars, winemakers dinners and other functions.
- Cross Street: 1115 Granville Street
- Public Transit: Granville and Yaletown skytrain stations within 5 minute walk.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking can be found around the Granville area cross street Helmeken. There are also many pay lots in the area. Most major taxi companies are familiar with the location.
A word from The Refinery
Redefining Granville Street, the Refinery is Vancouver’s best way to experience a new world eatery with an old world feel. The room designed with the environment in mind has used sustainable materials, led lighting and energy efficient equipment. A food primary restaurant, this cocktail and wine bar with a 75-seat capacity will house Granville Streets only fresh, market-style eatery. Chef Kirk Morrison takes pride in introducing elements of charcuterie, cheese culture, cured seafood, fresh breads, antipasti and all things Market fresh. Remaining a step ahead of the competition through exemplary service, great value and the creation of a unique high quality dishes paired with amazing wines and beers from BC and around the world. A traditional, yet unique, menu and atmosphere will create a sense of 'belonging' for locals and tourists alike. Giving people the sense gathering in a small village in Europe, while being in their own backyard. ~The Refined OnesContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Refinery reviews from OpenTable diners
8 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (3)vibrant bar scene (3)good for groups (2)special occasion (2)neighborhood gem (2)romantic (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Great placeAnnaBananaDined on 7/9/2014The Refinery came recommended by the folks we rented an apartment from and it was in walking distance. We had the Shrimp wrapped in Italian ham in braised in a tomato basil butter broth - Delicious! The Punky Brewster signature cocktail was devine and the wine list was greatSpecial Features:
- acceptable but not outstandingGoodGrubMaynardDined on 5/31/2014the service with excellent. unfortunately we were two people seated in a room with a large loud group of about 30, so conversation was difficult to hear. food was absolutely acceptable--we had no complaints--but it was not outstanding. the bread served is grilled but not brushed with any olive oil, so its dry and tasteless. this is the platform for the bruschette. service was excellent and appropriately attentive. The Refinery is a good place to go for a quick bite and a cocktail before a show, which is why we were there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 6-Star Service6starserviceDined on 5/23/2014Highlight of the evening was the service. They went above and beyond to make a special dinner extra awesome. Will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 268 reviews are from the The Refinery reviews archive.
- Great Service, Great cocktailsJ604Dined on 5/10/2014Went to The Refinery for the first time with my girlfriend and we were both extremely happy. We went early on a Saturday evening and the place was half full, with it being almost completely full by the time we left. The food was really nice. Not crazy huge portions, but the quality was there and we were still full by the end of our dinner. The cocktails were delicious and unique. Although we didn't do this, we really liked the option of being able to pick a spirit and letting them know what type of flavors we like, which lets them have creative control. Our waiter was very nice and attentive. He was even willing to get to know our names and ask how we found out about the place. We will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hand CraftedHalpyVIPDined on 3/29/2014Fantastic food, drinks and service. The staff were very friendly and knowledgeable. The drinks were fantastic. I had a few old fashioned and a couple of the drinks from their menu and non disappointed.Special Features:
- Cool placeNanouDined on 3/8/2014Great atmosphere, very friendly and knowledgeable staff, and a nice varied menu! Great experience! Will for sure go back!Special Features:
- Excellent meal!BothellShopperVIPDined on 3/7/2014We enjoyed the food and drink...highlights were the stuffed mushrooms and Cedar Creek Merlot. And the service was exceptional! However, the music was too loud...we had to compete with it as we dined. Overall, a very nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and great servicemmlabelleDined on 2/14/2014Too many of the reviews are from people looking for "cheap eats". This restaurant is in the heart of the Granville entertainment district so that is to be expected. The Valentines Day special menu was a fantastic pairing of small yet delicious combinations. The duck confit and oxtail stood out and yes...left us wanting more but only because they were so good. We left very content, and will be back soon to explore the new menu due in March. Of note, let the bar staff be as creative with their craft as the chef is with his and the can pair some amazing drinks to match your dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Tapis PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/13/2014A great spot on the Granville entertainment district.Special Features:
- Cheese plate was great, wineChadillacDined on 2/7/2014Cheese plate was great, wine list could be better but overall satisfied and would come back. Music was great but was too loud and made it hard to have a conversation with my date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful DinningExperiencemolitauDined on 1/31/2014Never had a nice dinner as in Refinery - food, services, environment, friendly, all the good thing put together - that made my dinner so wonderful. Definitely will re-visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Less than impressive for Dine-OutOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/29/2014This place was hard to get into for Dine-Out, but I didn't see why. The portions were so small that my friend and I went to a different establishment immediately after and ordered more food! I'm not sure why they didn't just do the $28 price-point instead and give a reasonable amount to eat. Our server seemed to be tolerating our presence more-so than serving us, and was very quick to bring the bill. If Dine-Out is meant to get new clientele in, it did not work here. With so many other downtown options, I can't see a reason to give this place a second try.
- AlrightAllygDined on 1/29/2014Food was presented nicely and was flavourful; however, the portions were extremely small for the price. Service wasn't that great, but the food arrived quickly. It was very loud during dinner so it was hard to have a conversation.Special Features:
- The food and the service hereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/26/2014The food and the service here were both very good but the portions were extremely small. Overall it was pretty good value since it was in the $18.00 category.Special Features:
- The Refinery refines the waistlinedauphineDined on 1/26/2014great place to hangout when downtown, modern and super friendly vibe, excellent appys, great tapaz style dishes that are sure to help reduce the waistline if once dines there on a regular basis... Seriously, the food is delicious....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dine out ReviewNickDined on 1/26/2014After reading the mixed reviews, I decided to give Refinery’s dine out menu a try. Upon arrival we were greeted warmly by staff and asked if we could quickly have a seat at the bar, as they were resetting our table. Perfect! This gave us the opportunity to order a cocktail (the names of which have been cleverly paired with a narrative). The first and second courses were excellent, we ordered two extra plates that were suggested by our serve Margaret. The desserts weren’t the best. I will agree with other dinners that the portions were on the smaller side but what do you expect from an $18 tasting menu. Thank you to the Refinery staff for a wonderful evening, I look forward to your up coming menu change. Full review posted on yelp.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dine-Out discoveryCassDined on 1/26/2014The food here was delicious, and was an amazing value. We'd wanted to take part in the Dine-Out Vancouver festival with a couple of friends, and we were looking for a place we hadn't tried yet, with locally sourced ingredients, and hopefully locally located. We were looking at the Dine -Out choices, and The Refinery was in our 'hood. Specifically for Dine-Out, they were featuring 3 courses for $18 - and the menu looked yummy. There were 4 of us, and everyone agreed that every one of the 3 courses was exceptional, as was the service we received. Remembering my dessert is making me want to return soon! ;DSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- better for drink then dinnerYbeeDined on 1/24/2014Went there first time for dine out. The portion are in appetizer sz. Eventhough it's only $18, it's suppose to be DINNER not snack. I'm not expecting to leave with an empty stomach. The Ahi tuna is blanded and the beef carpacrcio is so thin and dry that it stick to the plate. The fish taste good but like the size of half my palm. The pork dish is dry and bland. The dessert is not good either. The menu does have some good snacks like cheese or meat plate (If they have good selection). This would be a great place to hangout with friends just to chit chat and drink. I heard ppl say they cut the portion in half during dine out. There are lots of good restaurant in the neighborhood, this place is not on my list.Special Features:
- The food portions were tiny,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/24/2014The food portions were tiny, not even worth 18 for all. We even ordered a plate of scallops...Even the lady who sat at the next table said to the waiter that the food was small. The bf and I had to go to megabytes and sushi joint to be full.
- poor food qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/23/2014Portions for barbie dolls also the cold appi was fishy and the desert was dry like left out in the fridge without serene wrap. Sigh. Dissapoinmen. ...
- Pretty GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/22/2014This is the second time I did Dine out at the Refinery. Last year it was really good, large portions and good food for only $18. This year, they cut the portions in half and the food didn't impress me as much. The cocktails were good through, and the servers were friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Give it a try and you will like it.Dineout2014Dined on 1/22/2014Nice atmosphere, good food, will come back for sure.Special Features:
- Cosy place with bland foodFionaDined on 1/21/2014Tried their dine out menu and am not overly impressed. The tuna tartare and chocolate cake was bland. The stuff mushroom was quite nice. My boyfriend had the beef carpaccio to start which was fantastic and then a disappointing pork tenderloin that was well cooked but flavour was lacking again. The dish was also served lukewarm. He had the apple crumble to finish off which had too much sauce and too little crumble topping; the moist and crunchy mixture of a crumble was not achieved. A cosy little place tucked away on Granville St. It has a lot of potential if the quality of the food is improved.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceNewyorkerDined on 1/19/2014The food was delicious and the server was really personable. Overall a great experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was a Franchise FoodieuOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013Normally I would pick a franchise restaurant to dine. Skeptic at "what I would get" at other not so well known restaurants. After my experience at the Refinery I realized what I am missing out on. It was truly a great night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great cocktails & foodMimmilinaDined on 10/18/2013Very friendly service, some original, classy cocktails recommended by our server (all were delicious) and excellent food to nibble on. I highly recommend the bruschetta!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have asked for 6.30 reservationfarrokhDined on 10/10/2013I have asked for 6.30 reservation but they said it is not available and we were booked for 715 PM but when we went there there were nobody in restaurantSpecial Features:
- Simply great!luvwine2Dined on 10/9/2013Start with sparkling wine and cheese board. Wine was excellent and the cheese selection was simply amazing!!! Specially the idea of honey with truffle oil....yummmmmmy!!! They don't have many choices of the wine by the glass, but the waiter can recommend you what you are looking for:) Roasted bone marrow was amazing as well! We had a such a wonderful time there~~~. We will go back for sure:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great deal! Great food!DuranDined on 9/13/2013The food was great and the bill was shockingly low. All in all, a great experience. Top notch service too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dine out ReviewNickDined on 9/6/2013After reading the mixed reviews, I decided to give Refinery’s dine out menu a try ($18 what do I have to loose). Upon arrival we were greeted warmly by staff and asked to have a seat at the bar our table was being reset. Perfect! Try the cocktails (the names of which have been cleverly paired with a narrative). The first and second courses were excellent, we ordered two extra plates that were suggested by our serve Margaret. The desserts weren’t the best. I will agree with other dinners that the portions were on the smaller side but what do you expect from an $18 tasting menu. Thank you to the Refinery staff for a wonderful evening, I look forward to your up coming menu change. Full review posted on yelp.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre food in sketchneighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/3/2013Meatballs - tender but bland and full of filler Meat platter - eh. Nothing to write home about Risotto balls - bland and not fried enough Bruschetta - huge pieces of bread with weird toppings Shrimp - decent flavor and nicely cooked Wine list - very limited and disappointing
- More than a shinny pennyKoolio2Dined on 7/20/2013Food was great but very pricy for such a little dish. Only really for special occasions or wealthy people to dine at.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/7/2013The food was outstanding and the restaurant a nice little cozy walk up off of Granville Street. It has a very relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:
- I was expecting it to be moreOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/5/2013I was expecting it to be more full, but it was quit empty!Special Features:
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/22/2013Everything was wonderful! The only small critique I have was that the music was too loud and too disco-like. We were there for dinner and it was hard to have a conversation over the loud music.Special Features:
- Don't miss this gem!TiggergrammaDined on 3/20/2013We love tapas restaurants in general, but The Refinery outdid our expectations by a mile! The food was fresh and delicious and the drinks creative and tasty. Service was constant, without being overbearing. Pricey, but well worth the cost. We liked it so much, we returned the next night to try other items on the menu!Special Features:
- The cocktail selection wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/16/2013The cocktail selection was great. It was a little too loud for our mood but I would go again on a different night of the week.Special Features:
- Birthday let down.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/8/2013Beer was great. Wish I could say the same for the food. Risotto balls were stil just barely warm after we asked for them to be heated, flatbread was overdone and difficult to chew. Plated the bruschetta with balsamic after we asked for it to be on the side, instead of making it new just replated with balsamic on the bottom of the bruschetta, never came on the side. Do it right or don't do it, looks lazy on the kitchens part. Tiramisu doughnut for desert was dry dry dry -AND topped with super dry cocoa bitter cocoa powder. Flourless chocolate cake was nice. So many mistakes they should have comped the meal. Brought a group of girls to celebrate a birthday, was super embarrassed for suggesting it. Won't be back, ever.Special Features:
- First Impression - needs some workOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/16/2013The food was awesome no question here - but the wait time to get our tapas was too LONG! If we knew it was going to take some time, then we would have been okay. We finally asked about our food (30 mins after our first tapa was served) - and the manager brought out some brushetta. As for drinks, each of us had only one drink because we were never asked if we wanted another. I actually felt like we were being pushed out the door for our little table of 4. I hope my experience can be blamed on the large birthday party - so I will be trying this place again in the near future.Special Features:
- vday menu was amazing, greatshelllDined on 2/14/2013vday menu was amazing, great food and a very reasonably priced! great cocktails as well!Special Features: