The Refinery - Tampa
5137 N Florida Ave
Tampa, FL 33603Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Refinery - Tampa
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thetamparefinery.com/
- Phone: 8132372000
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm Late Night at the Bar Thur-Sat
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Greg Baker
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Refinery - Tampa
Greg Baker and the Refinery staff are committed to utilizing as much as possible from local farmers and suppliers who do it right. Sustainably and ethically right. Then we refine this already beautiful product into something even more amazing and we change it up every week.Continued
We use chipped plates, jailhouse silverware, mason jars and we have a Jackalope in our dining room. Come eat, drink and confabulate.
We use chipped plates, jailhouse silverware, mason jars and we have a Jackalope in our dining room. Come eat, drink and confabulate.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
The Refinery - Tampa - Best Restaurants in Tampa ›
The Refinery - Tampa reviews from OpenTable diners
179 reviews since April 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (137)neighborhood gem (118)special occasion (57)great for outdoor dining (48)great for brunch (47)hot spot (39)romantic (30)good for groups (25)notable wine list (13)great for lunch (12)late-night find (11)vibrant bar scene (10)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (4)Show More
- always uniqueitalianexpertDined on 8/20/2014The refinery was definitely a good choice for me to bring a coworker who was in town from NYC. Not a ton of options in Tampa that would compare to NYC but the unique atmosphere and attention to detail with their food makes the refinery one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014I celebrated my birthday there on Sunday. Everyone loved the unique and delicious menu options as well as the "ManMosas." We will definitely return here for brunch in the future!Special Features:
- Unique for TampaVisitorDined on 8/16/2014The food is creatively prepared and tasty. The chilled cucumber soup was perfect for a hot summer evening. It is nice that local products are used. While a bit cramped, the rustic old house feel is pleasant. The patio is nice if available. Service is typical of today's eating. Unlike Europe, waiters and cab drivers are not professionals in the US.Special Features:
- GlennDined on 8/16/2014Interesting and delicious cuisine in general. However, both our fish and chicken entrees were much more salty than they should have been. The food was great but we left feeling like we had just had a salt lick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mona65mona65Dined on 8/15/2014Our meal was wonderful. Every item we chose was delicious and very innovative. The service and attentiveness was perfect. Couldn't ask for a better dining experience. What a culinary treasure in our Seminole Heights!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodtastyleeDined on 8/15/2014What a wonderful surprise! My daughter gave my husband and me a gift certificate to your restaurant as well as her in-laws. The four of us went together; to be honest we were a little skeptical. What a little gem. The service was great and the food was delicious. The ladies got the roasted chicken and we loved it. The sauce was wonderful. The men got the burger and they enjoyed it, too. Our waiter was great. We plan to visit your restaurant soon and try some of the other dishes. See you soon!Special Features:
- Proud to have this gem in our 'hoodSueHVIPDined on 8/14/2014This is such a fabulous neighborhood place that attracts people from all over Florida. I had a great hangar steak entree and one of my friends had the fried chicken and biscuit appetizer that was really enough for a meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Straightforward, Delicious FoodkrishendraVIPDined on 8/10/2014Brunch here with the kids was divine. I had the Lavender-Sweet Onion French Toast, which was amazing! The kids had biscuits and sausage gravy, eggs, slab bacon. Everything was simply prepared and very, very good. Service was attentive. I appreciated the fact that our server engaged the kids during the meal and treated them as equal diners. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- Awesome first time ExperienceHonHakDined on 8/8/2014We were absolutely thrilled with the atmosphere, service, and especially the food! The menu, we are told, changes weekly. They have found the right approach - fewer choices make for better decisions! Although it may not be available to you - we had the pork roast and the wahoo fish entree. Absolutely wonderful flavors, very satisfying to the senses, and left us very satisfied! We were actually wondering how soon we would make our way back! The people - from greeter to server were pleasant, laid back, interested in making sure you had what you needed adding to a great atmosphere of a neighborhood-esque jewel! I would highly recommend this place!Special Features:
- Neat placeGoodplacetotryDined on 8/6/2014This was a really neat place and the menu for the week was great. Little nosey at first and it's a little pricey. However, this is a place I would recommend trying and we will visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as alwaysPOEOVIPDined on 8/3/2014Our favorite restaurant, and we go almost every week because there is no ace better. Service for Sunday dinner was great and inside was half to 2/3 full...so not very noisy. Food was superb. Had great fish dish and salad. My wife had cucumber soup and vegetarian sloppy joe sliders.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 stars at LEAST!melsniDined on 8/3/2014Outstanding in all categories. Fresh, exquisite food! Great service. Boston butt, hangar steak, burger....all amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful findJoePTPADined on 8/3/2014Found The Refinery on a list of top Tampa restaurants. Small, cozy place. Well decorated. There was no wait as we had a reservation. Our server, Kelly, was polite, knowledgeable about the menu, and friendly. We started with biscuit bits (fried biscuit pieces served with jelly) and the side o bacon. The bacon might have been the best bacon I've ever had; house cured, it was perfectly salty and cooked. The caramelized edges complemented the melt-in-your-mouth fatty parts and the meat itself was tender and flavorful. We had the breakfast special and the Hans and Franz. Both were wonderful choices and a lot more filling than the plates looked! To drink, we had Manmosas (a mimosa in a pint glass). Highly recommend The Refinery.Special Features:
- New favorite restaurantlenilovesfoodDined on 8/3/2014Love this place! Surprisingly different dishes, local ingredients, changing menu in a great restaurant with charme. Top services, no waiting time. Next time we come we will try the roof top. A must-try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will be backhungry7Dined on 8/2/2014We absolutely loved this place. Our server, Eric, was terrific. He explained all of the nuances of each menu item. We were a party of 5 and there wasn't anything on the menu which someone didn't love. The burger was huge and very tasty--different but wonderful. The spaghetti squash "hash" was wonderful--nice and crispy on the edges but very moist. Not your usual wine list but a lot of time has gone in to choosing really spectacular wines without spectacular prices. We can't wait to go back. It was well worth the drive from St. Pete.Special Features:
- Unique, friendly, & freshOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014We just visited the Refinery for the first time and I can already consider it one of my favorite restaurants. Each of the 4 of us ordered a different meal and we were all pleased with our choices. To finish off a fantastic dinner, the dessert was one of the best I have ever tried. Additionally, the atmosphere was fun and intimate and the staff was friendly.Special Features:
- RefineryGeo1Dined on 8/1/2014Once again an outstanding meal! We are still talking about it.Special Features:
- Great GourmetDnlalyDined on 7/31/2014Best gourmet meal at a reasonable price. An epicureans dream. Seasonal Apps, entrées, dessert, and craft beers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodSasaDined on 7/24/2014Food is unique in presentation & the quality of the food Superior.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Refined flavor, Relaxed atmosphereesc0823Dined on 7/23/2014The Refinery is a great spot in Seminole Heights. I traveled from south St. Pete and it was worth the trip. The flavors are sophisticated but not stuffy. The atmosphere is calm and the service is friendly. The menu isn't giant, but I prefer a small menu that is full of interesting tastes. There are options for every palate: meat, seafood, vegetarian, and gluten free. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch DelightHodgesVIPDined on 7/13/2014This reminded me of some great places we've visited in Chicago. Quirky/fun decor and equally compelling brunch menu. I rarely order french toast or any carb centric item but the cornbread french toast (with a side of house made bacon) was too tempting to pass up. It was fantastic! The hubs had an egg skillet dish which I didn't pay attention to--so immersed was I in my french toast--but he seemed to love it. They brew some serious coffee too. Have only had brunch here but would definitely go back for that!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014The food was very good, however the limited menu could be a problem if you do not check the online version first. A very small wine selection. Service was good but not great. Overall, very happy we tried the restaurant But we would only go back on a xery limited basis. Not enough selection.Special Features:
- great.date!2ndchancesDined on 7/9/2014Great meal. Took a date here and she was wowed. Now she's wowed with me!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodWillingtotryDined on 7/8/2014Our dinners were creative dishes cooked to perfection. The meal was one of the best values we've experienced. We wish it wasn't so far from home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StpetednrstpetednrDined on 7/6/2014I had wanted to try this restaurant for a while. I felt it lived up to my expectations. I had brunch on a Sunday, which I enjoyed. I would like to return during the week or on a Saturday to try different foods on the menu. I would recommend this restaurant to a friend and I would return.Special Features:
- great to have guest chefGrassbossDined on 7/5/2014We were at dinner on July 5 when guest chef Matt Bolus was visiting. The snapper crudo was absolutely fabulous. We also had the shrimp sausage appetizer and the amberjack with dirty rice and the pork chop dinner with fried okra - They were all excellent. We love the refinery and would love to see more visiting chefs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/4/2014Excellent food at a reasonable price without the snobby atmosphere. Just need a location in Pinellas.Special Features:
- Hit and MissMatterOfTasteDined on 7/2/2014Pre-dinner communications with The Refinery is very positive, from attractive website to reservations via phone. TR is clearly a step up in a neighbourhood that could use more such efforts. The dining room is smallish, the tables simple, chairs upright wood, acoustics still an issue. The great beers selection is not matched on the wine side, this could improve. The Dinner Menu is more limited than expected, and on this visit not even include some items that received great reviews...so a disappointment at so few choices. Pork belly was overcooked and dry, but the chicken entree was perfectly cooked! Delicate clams were overwhelmed by the dish's other (of too many) ingredients. The Cuban bakery across the street is an opportunity missed.Special Features:
- Unique oasis in a company town...eltigregolosoDined on 7/2/2014Only been once so it is hard to tell whether the menu that supposedly changes "three to four times a week" actually does. The food was pretty great if not a little convoluted and a little too salty. The service was great and atmosphere enjoyable. Truly a welcome change in a town smothered with chain eateries in sprawling, strip mall matrix. For a long time it seemed like the only thing original you could get was Caribbean, Latino or Central/South American.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scrumptious and specialDelishDined on 6/29/2014Came here with a few friends I was treating to a thank you dinner for helping me move. They had never dined here before, and my fiancé and I had only eaten here once. Everyone loved their meals. Each was special, interesting, delicious. Great presentation. Decent beer variety, and we shared dessert. We wanted to get both desserts but one was not available. Service was polite but a little off. Tables were a little close together, and clientele is friendly and trendy/fun atmosphere, but would be nice to have a little more space. Seems reservations are inside only, and would be nice to have an option to make a reservation to eat outside. We had a great time and loved our food though, and we will all come again and recommend to our friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Refinery - First VisitNodrog50Dined on 6/28/2014Had a reservation and were seated immediately. The waiter was attentive, pleasant and knowledgable. Had the Pork Belly appetizer (first time for pork belly) - it was good - the crust was stupendous. Had the braised beef shank and it melted in my mouth. The rest of the plate was very tasty also. My partner had the swordfish and was very pleased with it. They have a good craft beer slection and good wine selection. The dining room is a bit austere but pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best Burger and MoreJustGwDined on 6/28/2014My wife and I love the refinery because first and foremost they have the best burger ever. Its not even close to any other. We had the burgers and the pork belly appetizer and it was truly a five-star meal. The food is high end and the menu is always being updated to reflect the chefs skills and the great local food. Also, they have a great beer list thst adds to the overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service great, food is ecclecticKykr1Dined on 6/21/2014All was good. Server was patient, responsive, and we'll trained - exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dktampaDined on 6/19/2014I had been wanting to dine here for a long time. My daughter had recommended it to me. I was not disappointed. I loved the ambieance and the food did not dissapoint. I definitely will return.Special Features:
- Lacking27yearchefDined on 6/17/2014Food was average at best. Chef seems to be trying too hard to be creative or to use what ingredients he has, it doesn't work, Chicken was salty, sides were bland, beef tongue was dry and chewy, watermelon didn't work with dish, fried sweetbreads was bland also. White cheddar popcorn burger was good I guess but nothing wowed any of us. No one at our table said they would come back, although the restaurant concept was cool it just falls short. Service was excellent and employees were attentive and nice. Go to Edison instead, it's a far better restaurant.
- Interesting setting, reliable foodChefStevenQueenDined on 6/16/2014A fun place to grab a few drinks and some dinner and a great date spot! The refinery is small enough to feel exclusive and well enough known to be considered a treat. My date loved her burger and my double cut pork chop was great and cooked to a perfect med raw (med rare, I requested it that way instead of medium) the compound butter on top complimented it nicely and added a nice fat to the dish since the pork chop was so well trimmed. We shared the chicken meatballs as an appetizer which was a done well. Just a suggestion if you try it, let them sit for 3-4 minutes to cool down before you eat them. They were served a little too hot to truly appreciate their flavor on our first few bites. From one chef to another, well done keep it up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No classdennisgVIPDined on 6/16/2014Don't know what all the hype is about. No class whatsoever. The food was mediocre at best. Good place for the neighborhood to hang out but don't go out of your way to get there!!Special Features:
- Amazing!PickyEaterDined on 6/14/2014Food is creative, inspiring and delicious. Great beers too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent,creativefooddocVIPDined on 6/14/2014A fabulous meal, creative menu, friendly and efficient staff, and reasonable prices.Special Features:
- Another fantastic visit!PDogVIPDined on 6/11/2014The Refinery is a Tampa gem - love going back because we always find something new (and delicious). Definitely worth a visit!Special Features: