The Refinery - Tampa
5137 N Florida Ave
Tampa, FL 33603Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Refinery - Tampa
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thetamparefinery.com/
- Phone: 8132372000
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm Late Night at the Bar Thur-Sat
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Greg Baker
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Refinery - Tampa
Greg Baker and the Refinery staff are committed to utilizing as much as possible from local farmers and suppliers who do it right. Sustainably and ethically right. Then we refine this already beautiful product into something even more amazing and we change it up every week.Continued
We use chipped plates, jailhouse silverware, mason jars and we have a Jackalope in our dining room. Come eat, drink and confabulate.
We use chipped plates, jailhouse silverware, mason jars and we have a Jackalope in our dining room. Come eat, drink and confabulate.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
The Refinery - Tampa - Best Restaurants in Tampa ›
The Refinery - Tampa reviews from OpenTable diners
182 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (150)neighborhood gem (130)special occasion (64)great for outdoor dining (57)hot spot (49)great for brunch (47)romantic (33)good for groups (24)notable wine list (15)great for lunch (11)vibrant bar scene (11)late-night find (11)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (4)Show More
- SuperiorOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014The staff went out of their way to accommodate a last second add on. Great food for low prices!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not epic...OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/26/2014Although we had been once before, we decided to give this place another try after hearing time and time again about all the praise they receive. The ambiance it okay but works well for the neighborhood that it is in and I like that it doesn't take itself too seriously (jackalope!) The wine and beer selection is smallish and the menu is not extensive. The food is creative and was well prepared with interesting flavors; the service was very good but I think we just expected more.... The desert (crumb cake) had good flavor but was very dry as if it was days old so that was no good. My overall impression would be that in this area there are other restaurants that are outstanding and this one needs to up the ante a bit to keep people coming.Special Features:
- SteppingoutgirlDined on 9/25/2014We enjoy this restaurant,food is always great. Never know the menu which makes it different.they do have regular items foe people who don't like to deviate from the norm.Special Features:
- One of the BEST!iEatOftenVIPDined on 9/22/2014I usually have the best experience here. The menu is always changing. Which means if there's something on the menu I don't like, all I have to do is come back next week and it will be different. They have a few stable dishes which never change because they are tasty, give them a try.Special Features:
- Most Amazing Service Ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014Our group of 6 thoroughly enjoyed our experience at the Refinery last weekend. The upstairs bar was the perfect place to enjoy very good wine and/or a beer while our table was prepared for us. The staff was tremendous from the minute we walked in the door. The food was phenomenal! All our dishes were delicious. One member of our group felt his rabbit was slightly dry and mentioned it to our waiter - an entirely new meal was prepared and presented to him with no charge for either dish - amazing service. We were extremely cared for and allowed to linger without feeling rushed to leave in any way - despite the people definitely waiting to dine. It was our first visit - and will definitely NOT be our last!Special Features:
- Outstandinggatr11Dined on 9/19/2014One of the great dining experiences I've had in Tampa. The service was great, they were very accommodating to my wife who is gluten free and also can't have sodium or butter. They went into detail on how everything was prepared and when it came out it was all great. Will definitely be back again, again and again....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie HeavenFoodisGoodDined on 9/18/2014If you like fresh and tasty food that isn't from your next store chain..go to the refinery!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't Understand the FussOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014I was really looking forward to dinner at the Refinery based on the reviews, but it was disappointing. The food was pretty bland and just nothing special.
- Excellent healthy food!eatinghealthyDined on 9/18/2014Keep up the great work! Looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lacking...AaronVIPDined on 9/15/2014After reading all of the reviews, I was very excited to eat at The Refinery. The Good: the wait staff is very friendly and attentive, they have a great wine and beer menu, and it's a cool restaurant with a hip ambiance. The Negative: the food. I ordered dishes that I'd read great reviews of on Open Table—the pork belly appetizer and the nightly Mahi fish special. The pork was very dry. I have eaten my share of pork belly at great restaurants, and this was a poor representation because of it's blandness and how dry it was. The Mahi too lacked execution. The piece of fish looked good on the plate, but it was overcooked (dry) on the outside and raw on the inside. And, it needed sauce and additional seasoning.Special Features:
- Amazing Food Funky EnvironmentMarcDined on 9/14/2014We love The Refinery. The menu is constantly changing and each dish is more creative than the last. The ingredients are innovative, yet blend perfectly. The wait staff is always attentive and we love the funky environment. Greg and Michelle have created a real treasure!Special Features:
- We will be backOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/14/2014It was our first visit but certainly will not be our last. Food was out of the ordinary and excellent. Service was very good as well. I like the convenience of booking through Open Table,Special Features:
- Limited options, but goodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/14/2014Vegetarian/Vegan heavy. I love the use of fresh ingredients & a constantly changing menu built around what's available at the farmer's market. I personally found the brunch menu to be interesting & different (in a good way). That said, there is no room for modifications/substitutions and that really limits even more the menu that has no more than 10 main items to choose from. Awesome if there are enough customers to keep this place afloat but for us, we won't be returning as there isn't something for everyone in our group/family. If you do go - get the fried biscuit bites! YUM!!!Special Features:
- First visit was memorable.MbatDined on 9/8/2014Even though it was a Monday night, it was still active and well attended. Our group of 3 sat in the outdoor area upstairs. The host was gracious and friendly and our waitress was exceptional; informative, attentive, and sincere. For appetizers, we had the pork belly with chocolate, which was exceptionally tender and the dish combo was creative. Also had the patitas, which was good. For the entrees, we chose the roasted chicken, wahoo? fish, and hangar steak, all of which were tasty and flavorful. Rounded out the night with the peach buttermilk pie with butterscotch jalepeno sauce, again an interesting and delicious combination. We loved it and I definitely plan to return. Have already recommended to people at work.Special Features:
- No Refinement NeededHonFoodieDined on 9/7/2014Having been to The Refinery half a dozen times for dinner, always had a great experience decided to give brunch a try. Brunch was no exception. I had "El Guapo" while my brunch companion had "Wake and Bake Mark VII". Both were spot on. The menu isn't a huge book of options, therein lies their success. The Refinery does a more limited selection than your average joe spot but does them well. The food is always fresh and well seasoned. The vegetarian/vegan options that in many places are an afterthought here hold their own against their meaty companions. Flavors compliment, not compete. Cozy downstairs, open air on the deck upstairs. If you like good well prepared food and friendly service...go.now. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedSeafood4meDined on 9/6/2014Had high expectations of the food that was not met. Entrees lacked flavor and took a long time to arrive at table.
- A little loud but great foodPeteDined on 9/6/2014Although the small plate offering was disappointing (small and costly) the main course was amazing. We all had the hanger steak. Not only was the steak excellent, the creative side dishes were great. The place is really small and loud, but the food more than made up for those short-comings. One of our party would have liked to see more choices but seemed happy with the steak. Good choice of local and craft beers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hungry7Dined on 9/6/2014This was our 2nd visit. Totally different menu from a month ago. Food was excellent. Reasonably priced. Service is friendly and helpful with making choices. Two of us got the fish special which was wahoo over sweet potatoes (I'm really simplifying here). We both loved it. Our server suggested the hanger (sp?) steak and that is what the other 2 in our group got. Cooked perfectly. The chilled pea soup was delicious. I've already made a reservation for a return trip.Special Features:
- 10+ visits and wanting more!RGandBGDined on 9/5/2014The menu creations are unique memorable and something to look forward to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not to be missedbeginnerfoodyDined on 8/31/2014Kept hearing great reviews about this place and finally got a chance to try it out. The food was delicious, expertly prepared and presented. Prices were very reasonable considering the effort put into the delicious food. Highly recommend to anyone in Tampa, this type of expertise puts Tampa on the map.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchRickGDined on 8/31/2014Food was fantastic. A wonderful choice of dining delights. Would recommend to all my friends. Healthy portions at a very reasonable price. Look forward to a nice evening dinner on the upstairs porch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delighfulOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/30/2014Enjoyed the restaurant. I felt like I was on Top ChefSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unusual and goodStephenDined on 8/28/2014The restaurant lived up to its billing as described on its website. The menu was quite unusual, and the food was excellent! I had the quail, and although the portion was small (it was a quail, you know), it was quite good. The Chicken Toast appetizer was also delightful!Special Features:
- Loved The RefinerymrstequilaDined on 8/26/2014Took some out of town guests after reading more about the restaurant and it's chefs/owners. So impressed with the staff and food. Amazing dining experience. All of the small plates were fantastic. The burger with blue cheese melted in my mouth. We will be back!Special Features:
- Kind of disappointedJordanVIPDined on 8/26/2014I had heard about the Refinery from several people and all of the reviews were fantastic. I went with very high hopes and left disappointed. We had fries that were very dark, yet undercooked and somewhat cold. I will say that my roast chicken was good, but the plate was served with a cold side. That would be fine, I just wasn't expecting it to be cold and the item could have been a little more descriptive. The service was good and our waitress was very friendly though. I don't think that I would return.
- Exceeded expectationsTheoDined on 8/24/2014We've been wanting to try the Refinery for some time and had great expectations for the good. Yep, all those accolades, awards and rave reviews are well deserved! The food was sublime and beautifully plated. Wine list was diverse and reasonably priced (which is much appreciated), service was exceptional and we sat on the roof deck and enjoyed the sound of rain on the roof. Only suggestion, some cushions on the wooden benches and metal chairs would really be appreciated!! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointed!QueeniDined on 8/24/2014This is my third visit to this gem! The food is always interesting. They create dishes with unique combinations of food. I love trying new things, so this is the best...AND their menu changes every Thursday depending on what they buy at the farmers market. Buy locally? TWO THUMBS UP! The service and staff are always very quick, informative and have wonderful suggestions! Of COURSE I will be back!Special Features:
- Always changingPoodleAdrianDined on 8/22/2014We love this restaurant because the menu is always interesting and changing. Tonight I had quail with chicken liver dirty rice and the flavor was great. Burger is always awesome with changing toppings. Only downside is there are no cocktails as they do not sell liquor.Special Features:
- Great Food5817Dined on 8/22/2014The food was absolutely amazing! I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You MUST get to The Refinery!sweetTandpeppermintDined on 8/22/2014If you consider yourself part of the foodie nation, you absolutely must visit The Refinery! You won't be disappointed with the menu (it changes often). Although casual in setting and decor, the service is that of a 5-star restaurant. The food combinations are unexpected, local, fresh, beautifully presented and most important ...tastes WONDERFUL! This one goes on my permanent rotation of places to go!Special Features:
- Make ReservationsTeamBJDined on 8/22/2014I am glad I made reservations... It is not likely you will be seated if you don't. There were several parties that were turned away at the door because they did not make reservations. The food was wonderful. We really enjoyed the experience. Great for a date or for small group.Special Features:
- Never disappoints!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/21/2014The Refinery always guarantees a tasty meal, friendly service and a fun evening out. As someone who eats mainly vegan I am always pleased to find menu options that are tasty and vegan!Special Features:
- always uniqueitalianexpertDined on 8/20/2014The refinery was definitely a good choice for me to bring a coworker who was in town from NYC. Not a ton of options in Tampa that would compare to NYC but the unique atmosphere and attention to detail with their food makes the refinery one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014I celebrated my birthday there on Sunday. Everyone loved the unique and delicious menu options as well as the "ManMosas." We will definitely return here for brunch in the future!Special Features:
- Unique for TampaVisitorDined on 8/16/2014The food is creatively prepared and tasty. The chilled cucumber soup was perfect for a hot summer evening. It is nice that local products are used. While a bit cramped, the rustic old house feel is pleasant. The patio is nice if available. Service is typical of today's eating. Unlike Europe, waiters and cab drivers are not professionals in the US.Special Features:
- GlennDined on 8/16/2014Interesting and delicious cuisine in general. However, both our fish and chicken entrees were much more salty than they should have been. The food was great but we left feeling like we had just had a salt lick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mona65mona65Dined on 8/15/2014Our meal was wonderful. Every item we chose was delicious and very innovative. The service and attentiveness was perfect. Couldn't ask for a better dining experience. What a culinary treasure in our Seminole Heights!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodtastyleeDined on 8/15/2014What a wonderful surprise! My daughter gave my husband and me a gift certificate to your restaurant as well as her in-laws. The four of us went together; to be honest we were a little skeptical. What a little gem. The service was great and the food was delicious. The ladies got the roasted chicken and we loved it. The sauce was wonderful. The men got the burger and they enjoyed it, too. Our waiter was great. We plan to visit your restaurant soon and try some of the other dishes. See you soon!Special Features:
- Proud to have this gem in our 'hoodSueHVIPDined on 8/14/2014This is such a fabulous neighborhood place that attracts people from all over Florida. I had a great hangar steak entree and one of my friends had the fried chicken and biscuit appetizer that was really enough for a meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Straightforward, Delicious FoodkrishendraVIPDined on 8/10/2014Brunch here with the kids was divine. I had the Lavender-Sweet Onion French Toast, which was amazing! The kids had biscuits and sausage gravy, eggs, slab bacon. Everything was simply prepared and very, very good. Service was attentive. I appreciated the fact that our server engaged the kids during the meal and treated them as equal diners. Would definitely return.Special Features: