The Refinery - Tampa
5137 N Florida Ave
Tampa, FL 33603Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Refinery - Tampa
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thetamparefinery.com/
- Phone: 8132372000
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm Late Night at the Bar Thur-Sat
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Greg Baker
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Refinery - Tampa
Greg Baker and the Refinery staff are committed to utilizing as much as possible from local farmers and suppliers who do it right. Sustainably and ethically right. Then we refine this already beautiful product into something even more amazing and we change it up every week.Continued
We use chipped plates, jailhouse silverware, mason jars and we have a Jackalope in our dining room. Come eat, drink and confabulate.
We use chipped plates, jailhouse silverware, mason jars and we have a Jackalope in our dining room. Come eat, drink and confabulate.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
The Refinery - Tampa - Best Restaurants in Tampa ›
The Refinery - Tampa reviews from OpenTable diners
190 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (159)neighborhood gem (139)special occasion (65)great for outdoor dining (64)great for brunch (48)hot spot (47)romantic (39)good for groups (26)notable wine list (16)great for lunch (12)late-night find (12)kid-friendly (8)vibrant bar scene (8)scenic view (4)Show More
- Love The RefineryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014We celebrated a friend's birthday here with a group of 8. We were able to sit on the upstairs deck on a beautiful October evening. Food and service (by Jennifer) was perfect. Monday night happy hour was extremely helpful in keeping the cost reasonable for such a nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- casual but great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/19/2014Really great food. Unique menu. Very casual atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden TreasuressacDined on 10/19/2014You might go right past this wonderful experience if you're not careful. Not positioned in a row of fine dining or even a shopping area. Get out your GPS and track it down; worth it!Special Features:
- Food and Service *****skipDined on 10/18/2014First time visit, after wanted to go to The Refinery for months. Immediately greeted, and seated on time (had reservation), and with a smile. Kelly was our waitress, and was she a true professional; friendly, new the menu as if she was cooking it, super efficient, always looking to see if we needed anything, but never too much...perfect, may be the best service even, no matter the price of the food! Food: simply outstanding, flavorful, beautiful presentation, served as soon as it was presented by the chef. Food; fresh, unusual selection, but without a doubt and in one word, exquisite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful NightmarjenDined on 10/18/2014It was our first time to the Rifenery and it was wonderful. The Malbec we ordered was very good. I liked that they had several pumpkin inspired dishes. The staff was fabulous and we will be back! The patio was very pleasent on these cooler evenings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfulMeganHDined on 10/15/2014Excellent blend of flavors and unique atmosphere for Tampa. The service was great, the food was amazing and it was an overall delightful dining experience for anyone who appreciates the art of food and sustainable living.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfortable and tastySavvyDivaDined on 10/14/2014Service was friend.y and helpful when making choices and the food was great - what more can you ask for - it lived up to my expectations on all I have heard about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit the spot.EmilyDined on 10/12/2014My husband and I were in Tampa for the weekend and I had read about The Refinery in a magazine (perhaps Southern Living?!?!). The restaurant is tiny - but the food is big on flavor. I ordered the Greens, Eggs and Ham and the base of this dish may have been the best grits I've ever had in my life. Define. The portions are huge and the ManMosa as the perfect size.Special Features:
- DelishSuePG13VIPDined on 10/11/2014We visited last Saturday night. Loved our secluded table: in the first floor dining room some of the tables are separated from the others by curtains. So we were in the middle of everything but by ourselves. Went right for the entrees since we had a late lunch. I had amberjack special: blackened over buttery rice with a really yummy cole slaw on top. Cooked perfectly just the right amount of blackening spices. My husband had the hangar steak. Perfectly cooked and seasoned. Saved room for dessert ( so glad we did): pecan sandie bar with whipped honeyed (creme freshe or mascarpone, can't remember). Honey really enhanced flavor on the pecans. Would definitely return if in Tampa again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this spotthriveDined on 10/11/20142nd visit, both were great. Place has a nice atmosphere, excellent food and some unique dishes and the service was outstandingSpecial Features:
- Perfect placeMmfoodDined on 10/11/2014My goal when dining out is to enjoy the food and the company of the person I am with. Here the staff was knowledgeable and friendly. The food was wonderful and we both enjoyed the Variety of wine and beers. This is a must good again and again with a new menu changing each week based on what the local farmers have. I have been looking for a place like this for a while thank you for making it a reality here in Tampa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014Awesome food, awesome waitress, and awesome time! We love the refinery and will definitely be backSpecial Features:
- Don't BlinkTKSLRDined on 10/5/2014The restaurant was listed as 1 of the top 10 in Tampa for brunch so we decided to stop by after late church services. We were seated right away but due to the late hour were advised that some of the items on the menu were no longer available - they'd ran out. Though the restaurant wasn't very full, service was a bit slower than expected but responsive when you were being served. The food was simply AMAZING! Some of the combinations made you wonder when ordering, but those thoughts disappeared once you started eating. AWESOME FARE! Will definitely be returning to try some of the items that weren't available. Don't blink when looking for this location. Signage is not evident from Florida and it shares space with a salon or something.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodgasm Awaits You!GarnerEatsDined on 10/5/2014Excellent service. Great Mamosa. Great atmosphere. The star of the show is the food. Just incredibly good, simple, well cooked food. Great flavor without over powering spice, salt, or sugar. The Refinery makes food the right way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ElleceeDined on 10/3/2014Everything was okay, if I lived nearby I would try it again.Special Features:
- Great local findluv2dine2Dined on 10/1/2014Exciting food choices that constantly change..tasted fantastic and presented like art. Great staff..polite, prompt, clear, nothing negative to say there. Make a reservation because the indoor dining area is very small..which means intimate and cozy, but also means loud if a group is nearby and warm since the kitchen is close. Would recommend highly for special occasions or weekends if you can order frugally.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was very gooddinoutDined on 10/1/2014Excellent preparation but menu is very limited. Enjoyable evening and service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful DinnerNickDined on 9/30/2014Great place, food, and service. We will absolutely be back on future Tampa trips.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- creative and funkyLaurieBDunedinDined on 9/29/2014Loved the appetizers. Husband had pork belly and rabbit bologna. Out of this world. I had flank steak. Great flavors, great presentation. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tampa Refineryfoodie4LifeDined on 9/28/2014Having read many of the reviews, and seen all the accolades received by The Refinery, it's been on my "Go To" list for a year. I finally made it there Sunday and was a bit disappointed. It just did not quite live up to all the hype. Food was 50% great and 50% mediocre. Chorizo jambalaya came with the quail and tasted like mush. No distinctive flavors and reminded me of oatmeal. Quinoa salad was good, but nothing special. Flounder entree was excellent; all the flavors and accompaniments married well. Atmosphere: the hipster vibe is a bit studied for my taste, but the staff were extremely nice and attentive. Comfortable and casual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperiorFoodieDined on 9/28/2014The staff went out of their way to accommodate a last second add on. Great food for low prices!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and staff.jtk55Dined on 9/28/2014Went for Sunday brunch, food was great and the staff was friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not epic...OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/26/2014Although we had been once before, we decided to give this place another try after hearing time and time again about all the praise they receive. The ambiance it okay but works well for the neighborhood that it is in and I like that it doesn't take itself too seriously (jackalope!) The wine and beer selection is smallish and the menu is not extensive. The food is creative and was well prepared with interesting flavors; the service was very good but I think we just expected more.... The desert (crumb cake) had good flavor but was very dry as if it was days old so that was no good. My overall impression would be that in this area there are other restaurants that are outstanding and this one needs to up the ante a bit to keep people coming.Special Features:
- SteppingoutgirlDined on 9/25/2014We enjoy this restaurant,food is always great. Never know the menu which makes it different.they do have regular items foe people who don't like to deviate from the norm.Special Features:
- One of the BEST!iEatOftenVIPDined on 9/22/2014I usually have the best experience here. The menu is always changing. Which means if there's something on the menu I don't like, all I have to do is come back next week and it will be different. They have a few stable dishes which never change because they are tasty, give them a try.Special Features:
- Most Amazing Service Ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014Our group of 6 thoroughly enjoyed our experience at the Refinery last weekend. The upstairs bar was the perfect place to enjoy very good wine and/or a beer while our table was prepared for us. The staff was tremendous from the minute we walked in the door. The food was phenomenal! All our dishes were delicious. One member of our group felt his rabbit was slightly dry and mentioned it to our waiter - an entirely new meal was prepared and presented to him with no charge for either dish - amazing service. We were extremely cared for and allowed to linger without feeling rushed to leave in any way - despite the people definitely waiting to dine. It was our first visit - and will definitely NOT be our last!Special Features:
- Outstandinggatr11Dined on 9/19/2014One of the great dining experiences I've had in Tampa. The service was great, they were very accommodating to my wife who is gluten free and also can't have sodium or butter. They went into detail on how everything was prepared and when it came out it was all great. Will definitely be back again, again and again....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie HeavenFoodisGoodDined on 9/18/2014If you like fresh and tasty food that isn't from your next store chain..go to the refinery!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't Understand the FussOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014I was really looking forward to dinner at the Refinery based on the reviews, but it was disappointing. The food was pretty bland and just nothing special.
- Excellent healthy food!eatinghealthyDined on 9/18/2014Keep up the great work! Looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lacking...AaronVIPDined on 9/15/2014After reading all of the reviews, I was very excited to eat at The Refinery. The Good: the wait staff is very friendly and attentive, they have a great wine and beer menu, and it's a cool restaurant with a hip ambiance. The Negative: the food. I ordered dishes that I'd read great reviews of on Open Table—the pork belly appetizer and the nightly Mahi fish special. The pork was very dry. I have eaten my share of pork belly at great restaurants, and this was a poor representation because of it's blandness and how dry it was. The Mahi too lacked execution. The piece of fish looked good on the plate, but it was overcooked (dry) on the outside and raw on the inside. And, it needed sauce and additional seasoning.Special Features:
- Amazing Food Funky EnvironmentMarcDined on 9/14/2014We love The Refinery. The menu is constantly changing and each dish is more creative than the last. The ingredients are innovative, yet blend perfectly. The wait staff is always attentive and we love the funky environment. Greg and Michelle have created a real treasure!Special Features:
- We will be backOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/14/2014It was our first visit but certainly will not be our last. Food was out of the ordinary and excellent. Service was very good as well. I like the convenience of booking through Open Table,Special Features:
- Limited options, but goodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/14/2014Vegetarian/Vegan heavy. I love the use of fresh ingredients & a constantly changing menu built around what's available at the farmer's market. I personally found the brunch menu to be interesting & different (in a good way). That said, there is no room for modifications/substitutions and that really limits even more the menu that has no more than 10 main items to choose from. Awesome if there are enough customers to keep this place afloat but for us, we won't be returning as there isn't something for everyone in our group/family. If you do go - get the fried biscuit bites! YUM!!!Special Features:
- First visit was memorable.MbatDined on 9/8/2014Even though it was a Monday night, it was still active and well attended. Our group of 3 sat in the outdoor area upstairs. The host was gracious and friendly and our waitress was exceptional; informative, attentive, and sincere. For appetizers, we had the pork belly with chocolate, which was exceptionally tender and the dish combo was creative. Also had the patitas, which was good. For the entrees, we chose the roasted chicken, wahoo? fish, and hangar steak, all of which were tasty and flavorful. Rounded out the night with the peach buttermilk pie with butterscotch jalepeno sauce, again an interesting and delicious combination. We loved it and I definitely plan to return. Have already recommended to people at work.Special Features:
- No Refinement NeededHonFoodieDined on 9/7/2014Having been to The Refinery half a dozen times for dinner, always had a great experience decided to give brunch a try. Brunch was no exception. I had "El Guapo" while my brunch companion had "Wake and Bake Mark VII". Both were spot on. The menu isn't a huge book of options, therein lies their success. The Refinery does a more limited selection than your average joe spot but does them well. The food is always fresh and well seasoned. The vegetarian/vegan options that in many places are an afterthought here hold their own against their meaty companions. Flavors compliment, not compete. Cozy downstairs, open air on the deck upstairs. If you like good well prepared food and friendly service...go.now. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedSeafood4meDined on 9/6/2014Had high expectations of the food that was not met. Entrees lacked flavor and took a long time to arrive at table.
- A little loud but great foodPeteDined on 9/6/2014Although the small plate offering was disappointing (small and costly) the main course was amazing. We all had the hanger steak. Not only was the steak excellent, the creative side dishes were great. The place is really small and loud, but the food more than made up for those short-comings. One of our party would have liked to see more choices but seemed happy with the steak. Good choice of local and craft beers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hungry7Dined on 9/6/2014This was our 2nd visit. Totally different menu from a month ago. Food was excellent. Reasonably priced. Service is friendly and helpful with making choices. Two of us got the fish special which was wahoo over sweet potatoes (I'm really simplifying here). We both loved it. Our server suggested the hanger (sp?) steak and that is what the other 2 in our group got. Cooked perfectly. The chilled pea soup was delicious. I've already made a reservation for a return trip.Special Features:
- 10+ visits and wanting more!RGandBGDined on 9/5/2014The menu creations are unique memorable and something to look forward to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.