The Refinery - Tampa
5137 N Florida Ave
Tampa, FL 33603Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Refinery - Tampa
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thetamparefinery.com/
- Phone: (813) 237-2000
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm Late Night at the Bar Thur-Sat
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Greg Baker
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Refinery - Tampa
Greg Baker and the Refinery staff are committed to utilizing as much as possible from local farmers and suppliers who do it right. Sustainably and ethically right. Then we refine this already beautiful product into something even more amazing and we change it up every week.Continued
We use chipped plates, jailhouse silverware, mason jars and we have a Jackalope in our dining room. Come eat, drink and confabulate.
We use chipped plates, jailhouse silverware, mason jars and we have a Jackalope in our dining room. Come eat, drink and confabulate.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
The Refinery - Tampa - Best Restaurants in Tampa ›
The Refinery - Tampa reviews from OpenTable diners
201 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (162)neighborhood gem (145)great for outdoor dining (74)special occasion (65)hot spot (50)great for brunch (44)romantic (43)good for groups (31)notable wine list (17)late-night find (13)great for lunch (12)vibrant bar scene (11)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (6)Show More
- Ok, not more.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/23/2014We tried the Refinery based on the reputation of the chef. We had no strong complaints about anything that we experienced, but unfortunately no one in our party of four considered the food to be better than ok. Two people had the Hangar Steak, and neither thought the steak itself was worth our drive to Tampa from St Pete. Our table shared the two deserts, and we all agreed they were good. Maybe it was an off night.
- KoKoDined on 11/22/2014Excellent food, server very knowledgeable and attentiveSpecial Features:
- Pork chop and lemon chili spaetzle were great!RefineryVIPDined on 11/21/2014Very knowledgable servers and bartenders. Great menu and enjoyed everything we ordered!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique and Highly RecommendedDoctorBDined on 11/21/20141st time visit to the Refinery and I was very impressed. The menu is brief but many great choices. I couldn't ask for a more attentive and knowledgeable wait staff. Our server was especially helpful in selecting a great beer to enjoy with our meal (you have to try Anderson Valley Winter Solstice Seasonal Ale). Food was delicious and well prepared + presented. Great place for a date or just going out with friends. If you haven't been, add it to your list of places in Tampa to visit. Would return without hesitation!I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm not in a hurry to come back hereRaisincaneDined on 11/21/2014With impeccable attention and service the food fell short so I can't say I'd be running to dine here again anytime soon. I understand the menu changes so if you are 'into' that kind of mystery then definitely go. Good beer selection and wines I hadn't tried but the red suggested tasted as odd as the food. My husband's beer was delicious and strong. We started with a small plate , gougere, a long brioche with shaved pork that looked like mystery meat with a sauce that tasted bitter or burnt. Around it were tiny cubed zucchini and squash that I wish were larger, swimming around in a cream sauce not quite sweat not quite creamy or needed at all. Next we tried the cracklin' cornbread with higher hopes. Indeed it was crackling in the mini iron skillet presented with some greens and perhaps 3 or 4 tiny crushed pecans? on top. Tasted like a box of ready mix cornbread with nothing foodie about it save for the salad top. Flavorless and boring. Ordered burgers since we were afraid of further disappointment and those were cooked to perfection m and mr with a nice homemade onion ring to top and fresh green beans lying between the meat and bun. The fries on the other hand although plentiful were meleay and flavorless even with salt. They must have been sitting under heat lamps wilting v crisp. Served with a cranberry side that resembled ketchup but had no sweet flavor, just vinegar and cranberry puréed . May work with a pork or turkey offering but not with fries or a burger. Service was outstanding. After dinner went upstairs a found the outside dining. Awe man. That may have made the dining fail ok to experience that awesome top deck. Next time?Special Features:
- BUST DECISION!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/18/2014This was by far the best dinner that I have had all year. You could tell that the chefs enjoyed cooking the food that they served. We will be back soon!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a bustMnTBDined on 11/9/2014We had brunch. Drove an hour because of the reviews and was really looking forward to it. My wife got the cinnamon roll french toast and was delighted, but I'm writing this review and Daddy's Special was a bummer. It's biscuits and gravy and the Army made better. The biscuits were so hard I nearly bent the tines of my fork. It was amusing when T tried to steal a bite as she couldn't cut thru it from her angle with a knife. The gravy put a pet milk schmear in your mouth that left the sausage tasteless. Finally, why is it ok to serve old and cold seasoned little potatoes? At least cut them up, drop them in a skillet with a couple drops of oil, maybe sprinkle a little grated asiago to freshen them up,
- Terrific Addition to Tampa Scene!CAGatorDined on 11/8/2014My goodness, the fish with butternut squash and mustard greens was one of the most interesting and delicious combinations I've had for fish. The pork was cooked absolutely perfectly (no easy task), and the service was friendly, comfortable, and casual. We just got back from Napa and didn't have a meal this delicious (or affordable)!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for vegetarians and non alikesueswwDined on 11/2/2014This is our second visit to the Refinery and this time we brought non-vegetarian friends. The food is terrific, (the vest vegetarian options we've tasted), the wait staff informed and friendly, and there are plenty of options. Our friend loved his unusual beer choice, as well as their food. If anything things that vegetarian food has to taste like a newspaper, they need to eat here. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/2/2014Food was delicious, but the fish was a little overcooked. Hopefully just a blip. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/26/2014Wonderful food and great service. Not too crowded when we were there, which is unusual but was a plus for us.Special Features:
- BrunchAcass98Dined on 10/26/2014We really enjoyed our brunch the manmosa was awesome as well as the Bloody Mary made with sake. I was disappointed in the special- the rabbit frittata. It was pretty bland and takes like I was eating a boiled egg yolk. The star was the grits which were creamy and full of flavor. The bacon was yummy too. It melted in your mouth!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RefiningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Food was amaziballs. Service on the otherhand lacked a bit of refinement. Reserved a table on online for 9:00 o clock and there was not a table available for us which caused us to sit at the outdoor bar. But the food makes up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great night of fine diningLuvfinefoodsDined on 10/25/2014The whole dining experience was excellent! Our waitress made it even better. And the food was delicious.Thanks!Special Features:
- Food was underwhelmingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014Our appetizer "pork pie" which our server suggested was dry and bland. Then my skirt steak was undercooked. I ordered it medium. It came out medium rare at best. However, our server never came back to check on how it was so who could I tell? We were overall unimpressed on a 100 dollar dinner.
- The service was outstandingTampadinerDined on 10/24/2014The food was so delicious. It was just as described on the menu with depth of flavors teasing your palate and textures that were a pleasing mix. Every dish was good and worthy of conversation and tasting around the table with a constant chorus of , "you've got to taste this" and "this is do good". The spices were layered so they hit you mouth in both strong and subtle ways. Would strongly recommend this restaurant !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CAJUN1Dined on 10/23/2014Service and food was great. Only notable comment......limited kid optionsSpecial Features:
- HailcaraDined on 10/23/2014We loved it. This was my second time here but I brought some friends and they loved it too. Only suggestion ... Cushions on chairs upstairs dining. Thanks. I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love The RefineryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014We celebrated a friend's birthday here with a group of 8. We were able to sit on the upstairs deck on a beautiful October evening. Food and service (by Jennifer) was perfect. Monday night happy hour was extremely helpful in keeping the cost reasonable for such a nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- casual but great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/19/2014Really great food. Unique menu. Very casual atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden TreasuressacDined on 10/19/2014You might go right past this wonderful experience if you're not careful. Not positioned in a row of fine dining or even a shopping area. Get out your GPS and track it down; worth it!Special Features:
- Food and Service *****skipDined on 10/18/2014First time visit, after wanted to go to The Refinery for months. Immediately greeted, and seated on time (had reservation), and with a smile. Kelly was our waitress, and was she a true professional; friendly, new the menu as if she was cooking it, super efficient, always looking to see if we needed anything, but never too much...perfect, may be the best service even, no matter the price of the food! Food: simply outstanding, flavorful, beautiful presentation, served as soon as it was presented by the chef. Food; fresh, unusual selection, but without a doubt and in one word, exquisite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful NightmarjenDined on 10/18/2014It was our first time to the Rifenery and it was wonderful. The Malbec we ordered was very good. I liked that they had several pumpkin inspired dishes. The staff was fabulous and we will be back! The patio was very pleasent on these cooler evenings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfulMeganHDined on 10/15/2014Excellent blend of flavors and unique atmosphere for Tampa. The service was great, the food was amazing and it was an overall delightful dining experience for anyone who appreciates the art of food and sustainable living.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfortable and tastySavvyDivaDined on 10/14/2014Service was friend.y and helpful when making choices and the food was great - what more can you ask for - it lived up to my expectations on all I have heard about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit the spot.EmilyDined on 10/12/2014My husband and I were in Tampa for the weekend and I had read about The Refinery in a magazine (perhaps Southern Living?!?!). The restaurant is tiny - but the food is big on flavor. I ordered the Greens, Eggs and Ham and the base of this dish may have been the best grits I've ever had in my life. Define. The portions are huge and the ManMosa as the perfect size.Special Features:
- DelishSuePG13VIPDined on 10/11/2014We visited last Saturday night. Loved our secluded table: in the first floor dining room some of the tables are separated from the others by curtains. So we were in the middle of everything but by ourselves. Went right for the entrees since we had a late lunch. I had amberjack special: blackened over buttery rice with a really yummy cole slaw on top. Cooked perfectly just the right amount of blackening spices. My husband had the hangar steak. Perfectly cooked and seasoned. Saved room for dessert ( so glad we did): pecan sandie bar with whipped honeyed (creme freshe or mascarpone, can't remember). Honey really enhanced flavor on the pecans. Would definitely return if in Tampa again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this spotthriveDined on 10/11/20142nd visit, both were great. Place has a nice atmosphere, excellent food and some unique dishes and the service was outstandingSpecial Features:
- Perfect placeMmfoodDined on 10/11/2014My goal when dining out is to enjoy the food and the company of the person I am with. Here the staff was knowledgeable and friendly. The food was wonderful and we both enjoyed the Variety of wine and beers. This is a must good again and again with a new menu changing each week based on what the local farmers have. I have been looking for a place like this for a while thank you for making it a reality here in Tampa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014Awesome food, awesome waitress, and awesome time! We love the refinery and will definitely be backSpecial Features:
- Don't BlinkTKSLRDined on 10/5/2014The restaurant was listed as 1 of the top 10 in Tampa for brunch so we decided to stop by after late church services. We were seated right away but due to the late hour were advised that some of the items on the menu were no longer available - they'd ran out. Though the restaurant wasn't very full, service was a bit slower than expected but responsive when you were being served. The food was simply AMAZING! Some of the combinations made you wonder when ordering, but those thoughts disappeared once you started eating. AWESOME FARE! Will definitely be returning to try some of the items that weren't available. Don't blink when looking for this location. Signage is not evident from Florida and it shares space with a salon or something.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodgasm Awaits You!GarnerEatsDined on 10/5/2014Excellent service. Great Mamosa. Great atmosphere. The star of the show is the food. Just incredibly good, simple, well cooked food. Great flavor without over powering spice, salt, or sugar. The Refinery makes food the right way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ElleceeDined on 10/3/2014Everything was okay, if I lived nearby I would try it again.Special Features:
- Great local findluv2dine2Dined on 10/1/2014Exciting food choices that constantly change..tasted fantastic and presented like art. Great staff..polite, prompt, clear, nothing negative to say there. Make a reservation because the indoor dining area is very small..which means intimate and cozy, but also means loud if a group is nearby and warm since the kitchen is close. Would recommend highly for special occasions or weekends if you can order frugally.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was very gooddinoutDined on 10/1/2014Excellent preparation but menu is very limited. Enjoyable evening and service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful DinnerNickDined on 9/30/2014Great place, food, and service. We will absolutely be back on future Tampa trips.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- creative and funkyLaurieBDunedinDined on 9/29/2014Loved the appetizers. Husband had pork belly and rabbit bologna. Out of this world. I had flank steak. Great flavors, great presentation. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tampa Refineryfoodie4LifeDined on 9/28/2014Having read many of the reviews, and seen all the accolades received by The Refinery, it's been on my "Go To" list for a year. I finally made it there Sunday and was a bit disappointed. It just did not quite live up to all the hype. Food was 50% great and 50% mediocre. Chorizo jambalaya came with the quail and tasted like mush. No distinctive flavors and reminded me of oatmeal. Quinoa salad was good, but nothing special. Flounder entree was excellent; all the flavors and accompaniments married well. Atmosphere: the hipster vibe is a bit studied for my taste, but the staff were extremely nice and attentive. Comfortable and casual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperiorFoodieDined on 9/28/2014The staff went out of their way to accommodate a last second add on. Great food for low prices!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and staff.jtk55Dined on 9/28/2014Went for Sunday brunch, food was great and the staff was friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.