The Reef of St. Augustine
4100 Coastal Highway
St. Augustine, FL 32084Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
The Reef of St. Augustine
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thereefstaugustine.com/
- Phone: 9048248008
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 5:00pm, Sunday: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Special Events: Join us for Happy Hour From 3-7 pm Daily. Our oceanfront bar features discounted drinks and appetizers. Or start your evening with one of our bartender's Signature Special cocktails. What a great way to start your evening!! Wine ClassesCost: $30.00 per class, $100.00 all four. (additional $15 fee for some classes) •Sept 14: Real vs. knock-off. How grapes varietals vary away from their region of origin. •Sept 21: Wines for the holidays. Get a head start on the festive season. •Sept 28: $50 bones and then some. Exploring Wines costing $50 or more (additional fee applies) •October 5: Sparklers, desserts and Ports. Adding that special touch to a dinner party.
A word from The Reef of St. Augustine
As General Manager, it is my pleasure to welcome you and to share a little of our philosophy. It has been my vision to create an experience inside the restaurant to match the fabulous view outside; no small feat, since we are up against Mother Nature at Her finest. The answer was to keep things as uncomplicated as possible. Well-cooked food from fresh ingredients are excellently prepared, simply presented, and well served. The beachfront building is elegant; there are tablecloths, yet it's not stuffy. Clean, bright decor is designed to enhance the view. Most important of all, the staff is talented, knowledgeable, pleasant, and friendly. There are very few truly oceanfront restaurants left in Northeast Florida. We work very hard on all aspects of our business so that you, our customers, can continue to enjoy us and the great location we occupy. Thank you. I am looking forward to the pleasureof meeting you. Jeremy Ticehurst General Manager The Reef RestaurantContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
The Reef of St. Augustine - Best Restaurants in St. Augustine ›
The Reef of St. Augustine reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (28)special occasion (14)great for outdoor dining (12)romantic (11)good for groups (9)great for brunch (8)kid-friendly (7)great for lunch (7)fit for foodies (6)neighborhood gem (5)notable wine list (5)hot spot (4)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great ViewDoctoriDined on 9/13/2014For dining outdoors by the ocean, one of best in area, and prices reflect the location, not the quality or quantity of the food. Reservations required and generally seating is on time. Service is slow but the great view can make up for it. Food is well prepared but nothing special. Definitely pricy for local products as is drink/wine list. Nice place for a special occassion if the view is important.Special Features:
- Yummy!Sarwvu22Dined on 8/31/2014Hostess was irritated I booked with OpenTable. The waitress did bit inform me that I could order eggs benedict at brunch until I saw another table with theirs. However, the food was delicious, and the scenery is beautiful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the driveGoNolesDined on 8/29/2014We drove up from Hammock Beach Resort and it was absolutely worth it. We had the crab legs and scallops and it was delicious...and it's right on the ocean. Great view!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Liked itDaisydogDined on 8/27/2014The food was good and the service was good. The view spectacular and the prices economicalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service!2FoodiesDined on 7/27/2014Ambiance was good, food was good and the service was excellent. They were very accommodating with the food preparation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BeverlandVIPDined on 7/19/2014Food was excellent. We all enjoyed our entree's. Service was great, too! There was a challenge with our reservation. The hostess said she didn't have them and asked if I had made them that day. I had made them over a month in advance. Not the first time this has happened.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great views - great mealDingsterkatDined on 7/17/2014We sat outside for a quiet dinner for two - just a beautiful location, very good service and interesting selections. The seafood was well prepared and fresh. No one dish stood out from the rest, but as a whole it made for a delightful dinner. We will go back for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected less got moreJim53VIPDined on 7/14/2014The staff were friendly and competent, Food was quite good, and view of Ocean during storm, magnificent .Special Features:
- July 2014OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/5/2014Great place - very enjoyable. Excellent food, great service. Will definitely be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ocean viewReviewVIPDined on 6/25/2014Always a special restaurant...it just happened that there were many people in the restaurant and all were in the same room, so the noise level was high and it was hard to talk. Also we were seated near a speaker, so we had to ask to have the volume louder. Otherwise we had a great time.Special Features:
- Pleasant surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/18/2014As hardcore foodies, we were wary on our first visit. But lunch was above average, and the ocean views make any meal here worthwhile. We both had grouper sammies. The fish was fresh and delicious. I recommend the parmesan and horseradish grouper. The fries were prepackaged bluh, like Checkers' seasoned fries minus the seasoning. I'd hope the chef will rethink those. But all else was terrific. A local "pie lady" brings in several desserts daily, and that Florida Sunshine orange cheesecake might be the best cheesecake I have EVER had - everyone at the table agreed. Service was average, we never had our waters refilled, not a lot of attention paid, but the views and food made up for it. We'd recommend this place and we will be back.Special Features:
- Not happy with lunch at allretiredteacher2013Dined on 6/10/2014My husband and I celebrated our 42nd anniversary by having lunch on June 10th. My husband was happy with his swordfish, but I ordered a shrimp salad. Although the shrimp was good, it was smothered in mayonnaise. Actually, so much that I had to scrape it off before eating it. The salad itself was all mixed greens with very few tomatoes. Overall, I was very disappointed and probably would not go for lunch or for dinner at the Reef again. The service was very poor. There was a new waitress, I believe, who was not at all attentive. When I told her my lunch meal wasn't satisfactory at all, she apologized, and that was it.Special Features:
- DisappointedGoGamecocksDined on 6/9/2014Upon arrival, we were not greeted for almost a full five minutes. The entrance appears under construction. We sat outside on the deck. It's a gorgeous view of the ocean. We arrived at 830p, and dusk came quickly. The bugs about carried us of by the end of our dinner. Our waitress was mediocre at best; she was very unorganized and inattentive. We had steak and crab cakes; both were AVERAGE at best (neither had a lot of flavor). Grits were dry. Green beans were the best part of our meal other than the view. We had cocktails, both of which were watered down. Other than the view, I think I prepare better meals on my own deck!Special Features:
- The following 153 reviews are from the The Reef of St. Augustine reviews archive.
- Not ImpressedImpressedDined on 5/20/2014Wanted to take our friends, visiting from Canada, to a place with a nice view of the ocean. From comments online we were expecting a lot more. The food was just adequate and expensive for what we got and the service could have been more friendly. Unfortunately, the view was the best part of our experience at the Reef.Special Features:
- ReturnguestVIPDined on 5/12/2014The view is outstanding. Service always superior. Food is usually very good.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchmagnumchopsVIPDined on 4/27/2014The brunch buffet menu was excellent and worth every penny! I would recommend this to anyone staying in St. Augustine.Special Features:
- DisappointedBeegsDined on 4/21/2014Our first time there and our requests through Open Table were not considered. Salad came before the appetizer. The drinks were poorly made, too much syrup.Special Features:
- Was okbunnieDined on 4/17/2014The view of the ocean was great for our Anniversary Dinner, food pretty good, my fish was over cooked and salty. Did not want to complain on a special day. Rec. Appitizer cheese fried, over rated, mushroom was not ready yet. Server had no knowledge of what was good. It was not bad but just ok. Open table reservation was not even on the list ????Special Features:
- great location and setting...priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/12/2014great location and setting...pricey and not big portions.... on trio -1 scallop,4 small shrimp and small piece of fish- $26Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy TableNanaDined on 4/11/2014This was not our 1st dinner at the Reef & opted to take a job candidate & his wife for dinner there because of positive past experiencs. We asked for a table with a view in a location amenable to conversation. We arrived on time for our reservation and on the way to our table we passed a perfect table with a view. We were seated & the table across from us started the evening noisy & ended it the same way. The 4 people at the table across from us was very noisyand made conversation almost impossible. I had two requests for the restaurant & they did not comply with either one. We will probably go back for the food but never for a business dinner.Special Features:
- Return VisitLynn54Dined on 4/2/2014This was our third visit to The Reef. We met friends from DE in St Augustine and went back. Great food, quiet atmosphere. Service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great table with great view.TN10VIPDined on 4/1/2014Great table with great view. Limited menu with what appeared to be good seafood selections. Grilled swordfish very good but grouper overpowered by horseradish and Parmesan cheese. Should have known never to order fish with any kind of cheese. Mussels were served luke warm and had obliviously been prepared ahead of time as they were delivered to our table almost immediately after being ordered. Average at best. With 2 glasses of wine $100 was to much for this meal.Special Features:
- Delightful InterludeMaggieDined on 4/1/2014We stop here every year on our return from Florida. It does not disappoint. We enjoyed the mussels as always and the shrimp meal was generous and tasty. I had the salmon and highly recommend it. We will be back.Special Features:
- Not ready for prime timeBeachcomberVIPDined on 3/15/2014It was a busy weekend, and we waited half an hour to be seated. Once seated, we waited an hour and a half for our main course. Until we ran out of bread and wine and asked, no one explained or checked on us or offered to comp us. To be fair, this place is usually a good choice on a quiet night, but they clearly need to step up their game to play in the big leagues.
- I wouldn't call that JambalayaOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/8/2014The jambalaya had a weird heavy red sauce with very little rice. The flavors were there but they shouldn't call it a jambalaya. My husband's prime rib was good. The cheese grits were overly spicey. But the keylime pie was great. However they had no decaf cappucino so that was disappointing. It's gone down hill over the last year as it used to be our favorite place to go in St. Augustine.
- Great service - great viewALObercDined on 2/23/2014The outdoor seating has incredible views of the ocean, and the service is outstanding. The food was good, but not outstanding. Both the risotto and the pasta were a bit on the bland side. But the Bloody Mary was one of the best I've ever had.Special Features:
- Extremely disappointedJoebVIPDined on 2/23/2014I own a vacation home only a couple blocks from The Reef. When home I have made a point to exclusively go to their Sunday Brunch. During this visit in February I ended up waiting nearly 30 minutes for a table with an Open Table reservation. Despite this I just made another reservation for brunch through Open Table 3 days in advance only to be called the next day and told they could not accommodate me on my birthday. Literally the only meal I was looking forward to. I had friends driving into town for the meal based on the reservation I had. The woman on the phone made it clear she didn't care. I was told 250 people were to be there before my 11:00 reservation so I could not get in until 1:00, making our other plans impossible.
- Ocean gemOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/18/2014What a wonderful place for dinner. The food was great, the view of the ocean priceless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the ReefGigiDined on 2/15/2014One of the few true upscale oceanside dining experiences in the St. Augustine area. this restaurant features an oceanside balcony with about 10 tables. It is wonderful to be seated there when the weather if perfect as it often is in this area. I have been there 20+ times in the past five years and have never had a bad meal. Service is always top notch. I have been with both large groups and groups of four people. Sunday Brunch is the best in the area. It features bottomless Mimosas, Poinsettias and Hibiscus as well as an omelet station, crab legs and a carving station. Reservations at the Reef are almost always necessary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing.PoodleDined on 2/9/2014This was our third time dining at The Reef -- but not for the past couple of years. Prior visits were more enjoyable -- and the food was very good. We had three different fish entrees this time and all were mediocre at best. It was a birthday celebration and greetings were given but no complimentary dessert. At a neighboring table a piece of cake with a candle was brought to their table and HAPPY BIRTHDAY was sung so it seemed odd that this was not celebrated at our table.Special Features:
- Awesome seafood!LuvthisplaceVIPDined on 2/9/2014Enjoyed the crab cakes, jambalaya, and shrimp lobster risotto! Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal and a great causeragatag2Dined on 2/4/2014My wife and I are occasional diners at The Reef and always enjoy the food and service. On this visit, The Reef was supporting "Tips for Kids" which is associated with Big Brothers and Big Sisters. The restaurant had volunteer servers working (along side the regular wait staff) to earn tips that would be donated to the cause. In addition to supporting a great cause, the service never missed a beat so we had our usual fine meal as well as the same great service with a little extra attention from the volunteers. I want to commend The Reef for taking part in this effort. My only hope is that the other diners did not forget to tip the regular wait staff considering the extra effort they put in for the evening what was hopefully a great success.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service were quiteBeachcomberVIPDined on 2/3/2014Food and service were quite good and you can't beat the view!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceNanaDined on 1/28/2014Took out of town business guests & it was a big hit. We could discuss upcoming contract terms because of the low noise level. Also food was very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have had 2 lunches and oneOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/28/2014Have had 2 lunches and one dinner there while visiting the area. Definitely a place to go back to. Good food, excellent service, and you can't beat the view of the ocean.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As Good As EverOrlandoVicVIPDined on 1/25/2014We have been coming to The Reef for 20+ years and have never been disappointed. This last dining experience was no exception. There is an extensive list of seafood entrees to choose from and that is one thing we count on. Service, ambiance and food are always excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a very enjoyable lunchcvwvDined on 1/22/2014We had a very enjoyable lunch at the Reef. It was not crowded so it was quiet and we were able to actually talk to each other and hear what they were saying! Our waitress was fantastic!! Food was very good. No room for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Seafood!kateylynnVIPDined on 1/17/2014Really fresh and expertly prepared. I had fresh Cod that melted in my mouth. My husband has a Corvina, which was grilled to perfection. This restaurant is a very good value. Wine is more reasonably priced than other restaurants we visited on this trip. Our server, laura, was friendly and attentive. Her suggestions were excellent. We finihed the dinner wth some Key Lime pie. All in all, an exceptional experience and the best for the money, in St Augustine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative menu & great ocean viewsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/4/2014A creative menu, reasonable prices and outstanding ocean views make this a wonderful venue for late lunches. Our table included eight guests, with everyone enjoying and offering to share their selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The gem on the oceanMarciaZDined on 1/1/2014Excellent food with a beautiful view right on the ocean. I've been here before and the service is always friendly and fast. I have had a group function upstairs and it's private and holds a decent size group. Can't say enough about this fabulous restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.