The Reef Caribbean Restaurant - Main Street
4172 Main St
Vancouver, BC V5V 3P7Neighborhood:
CaribbeanPrice: CAN$30 and under
The Reef Caribbean Restaurant - Main Street
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thereefrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (604) 874-5375
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00am, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:30am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Caribbean
- Executive Chef: Collin Dawkins
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Entertainment: DJs spin every Friday and Saturday evening.
A word from The Reef Caribbean Restaurant - Main Street
Though the Caribbean isles are well known to outsiders, Caribbean cuisine remains a hidden gem. Uncover the edible treasure of the tropics with the eclectic Caribbean fare and drinks at The Reef. The Reef's menus sparkle with plates inspired by the styles and tastes of the Caribbean. Midday mealtime selections showcase flavourful West Indian curries paired with white rice, refreshing coleslaw, sweet mango chutney, and dahi, served vegetarian or with a choice of chicken or goat. The calypso oxtail makes stomachs anti-grumble with a savoury bone-in beef stew, brewed and stocked with a hearty helping of potatoes and carrots over rice and peas. For dinner, the Kingston quesadilla envelops either jerk chicken or tofu, peppers, melty cheddar, and refried beans, and the coco prawns roll around in toasted coconut before putting on a cool minted avocado yoghurt ski-bunny costume. Brunch items include plantain chips, huevos rancheros, and ackee and salads.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Reef Caribbean Restaurant - Main Street reviews from OpenTable diners
16 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (10)good for groups (6)fit for foodies (5)great for outdoor dining (5)hot spot (5)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (4)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (2)special occasion (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Loved itCaribdreaminDined on 10/16/2014Everything was great. Really love the food. The Plantain chips are amazing! Will be back again soon.Special Features:
- Rach2VIPDined on 10/11/2014Always a pleasure to return here. This weekend the special (or "blaff") was a pulled chicken hash, with roasted red pepper, caramelized onion in a light hollandaise sauce. Please consider adding this to the regular menu. If you do, I will ALWAYS order this at brunch. :)Special Features:
- A bit of Jamacia in VancouverInthehoodDined on 8/20/2014Funky little bistro type restaurant. Try the tilapia tacos, and the jerk chicken. You can heat 'tings' up further with the hot sauce. Real Jamacian beer available, and the servers are friendly and efficientSpecial Features:
- great food!gbotDined on 8/16/2014House made hot sauce is amazing! Food was delicious. Had lipstick on one of our water glasses (not from us). Other than that greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 23 reviews are from the The Reef Caribbean Restaurant - Main Street reviews archive.
- food was greatOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/26/2014The food was good as always, but the service was lacking. The initial person that greeted us was great. He was energetic and professional. However the server who was at our table did not have the same energy. She didn't notice that there were 5 people at our table and therefore didn't bring another palce setting, you had to flag her down for refills on drinks, and she just looked like she did not want to be there. This decreased the enjoyability of our dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little piece of JamaicaezwaanDined on 6/10/2014I had never been to a Jamaican restaurant...or Jamaica for that matter, but I will after having tasted the food at The Reef. Highly recommended....:)Special Features:
- Good food.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014Hard to hear folks sitting at you own table, sit outside if you are catching up with old friends.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014We had an awesome experience. Our waitress made our experience memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, ambience and foodAL09Dined on 4/26/2014Appreciate that we got a warning when we first got seated about the spiciness level of the food here (big plus on the spiciness!). The wait staff was attentive and friendly. On top of that, they have a DJ on the weekends. What more can you ask for?Special Features:
- Great musicJamtartDined on 4/25/2014We had a reservation during their rush. It was super busy and food took a while. Manager noticed and gave us a discount on the bill. I ordered the chicken potato roti but it was too spicy for me. Live dj played great music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best kind of jerkJennVIPDined on 3/23/2014The food here is so good! When I want something different than the typical breakfast options, this is where I go. I love their jerk sauce - super spicy yet still with a delicious, well rounded flavour. Tastes great on everything! And the staff are awesome too. I'm a little silly and surprisingly, they always play along. It seems like a fun place to work. I highly recommend this restaurant :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud, inconsiderate, mediocre foodvancouveriteDined on 3/22/2014The reef has a fun atmosphere and a cool ambiance. We were a large party to welcome friends from out of town for dinner at 7. Since it was a Saturday night, there was a DJ, and using the Decibel counter app on my iPhone, the sound ranged from 85-100DB, which is high enough to cause auditory damage. This meant I couldn't hear the person next to me unless they turned directly towards me so I could lip read. I asked our server if it would be possible to turn the music down slightly, and she sent the manager over. He was dismissive and hyperkinetic, and made me, as a 28 year old, feel like a doddering old idiot. Then the food came, and it was mediocre, my soft tacos were a bit soggy, and my friend's beef was too tough to chew.
- We had a group of 8. The servereatingexpertDined on 3/15/2014We had a group of 8. The server was really nice, personable, and made us feel like her only table....even though the place was busy on a Saturday night. The food is excellent and easy to share. I'll go back again for sure and recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome for groups!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/1/2014Great service. exceptional food. Super accommodating for large 15+ groups, kids and last minute additions all in one go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jamaican FunLLUUDined on 2/28/2014Great food, large portions, AWESOME jerk sauce! The only disappointment were the soggy plaintain chips. My plate hate a couple crunchy ones, but most were soggy. Atmosphere is loud and energetic, but wish they played some carribbean music. Service was lacking as our server only took our order and took our credit cards at the end. Overall, good place to try and a nice gem in the main street area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The ambience was chill andOpentablediner1234Dined on 2/17/2014The ambience was chill and so were the staff. But the food was not great. The slaw could use a lot of work and I am sure they could find a way to make the plates look a little more attractive. I had the Mahi and it just seemed to be missing a lot. The sauce they serve on the side was excellent (spicy) and the Johnny cakes were really nice as well. I wouldn't necessarily go there again but I can see why hipsters might like this place.
- Tasty but ran out if foodAzariahDined on 2/1/2014Food was amazing but they ran out of jerk chicken and couldn't accommodate all the orders. I sacrificed my meal and got the snapper but was sorely disappointed in it. The jerk chicken meal was fab though as were the appiesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall, we had a great evening!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/1/2014Overall, we had a great evening! There were 6 of us...the service was awesome and the food was enjoyable. Enjoyed our cocktails. We were glad to see a few extra wines on the menu for DOV as the wine list is a little limited. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Caribbean FoodfishyDined on 2/1/2014The Reef on Main Street has yummy food and cocktails! It is ideal for groups. Our group opted for the Dine Out menu and it was really good and filling!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dine-outJulesDined on 1/31/2014I went to The Reef during Vancouver's Dine-out event. According to my friends who had been there before, it is not usually as packed as it was that Friday night. Despite the full house, the service was outstanding. The reservation was for 3, we ended up being a party of 4 and although I know how irritating that might have been for the servers, they accommodated us quickly and with smiles. We were not an easy table that evening for various reasons and the servers went above and beyond. The food was really fantastic also and the place has a great atmosphere. I'll definitely be back.
- Great experience! With dineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/27/2014Great experience! With dine out I find restaurants are overwhelmed with the amount of people and the food quality and service suffers. Not with you guys, the food was excellent and the service was fast. Very delicious and authentic, will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingFandabidoziDined on 1/23/2014My enthusiasm for YVR food has been restored with an excellent meal at the Reef. A nice West Indian twist on their food and drinks makes for an enjoyable experience. No pretence, no linen table cloths, just honest food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerXirconiumDined on 1/21/2014This is the second time that I have been to The Reef (Main Street Location) This time I went for the Dine out Vancouver Menu. The amount of food that I got was amazing for a dine out menu. I'm going back there from brunch next month.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely satisfieddnttDined on 1/19/2014The jerk beef was delicious especially if you enjoy eating really hot food. The seared snapper off the dineoit menu is flavored lightly, so I thought it was okay. I think this place is better off eating on a regular day than dineout. Service was amazing though. I get the same every time, very friendly, conversative and always making sure I was good and my water always topped off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have been to this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/18/2014We have been to this restaurant many times before and always had a great experience. This time we were there for Dine Out and felt that the quality of food wasn't up to it's usual standard. The entrees tasted good but the appetizers and desserts felt like they were quickly thrown together.
- Good timesMilhouseDined on 1/17/2014First time at The Reef had a great date ! Service and food was a real delight. Will be back for sure. Dine out Vancouver menu was fantastic and very well executed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too high expectations?OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/8/2014I ordered the January feature - empanadas, jambalaya, and pineapple coconut tart. I had a Dark and Stormy to drink. Everything sounded better on the menu than it tasted. The food was not bad at all, it just didn't live up to my expectations. I have had a tastier Dark and Stormy at Calabash, and a tastier meal there too. The food seemed to lack the richness of flavour that I was expecting... perhaps I just don't know Caribbean food well enough to know what to expect though. I found the jambalaya a little bland for my liking. It was mostly rice, and only had a few pieces of prawn, chorizo, and chickent. The tart was good, but not memorable. I do like the atmosphere there. It is a huge space and has a comfortable feeling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.