The Red Raven
3 Nagog Park
Acton, MA 01720Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Red Raven
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.redravenacton.com/
- Phone: (978) 274-2231
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 5:00pm, Dinner: Daily at 5:00pm. "The Loft" upstairs is open Wednesday, Friday, Saturday at 6:30 with a different menu. Brunch served Sunday 11:30am-2:30pm (last seating). Deck open daily at 11:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, American, Gastro Pub
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Red Raven has private event space for groups of all sizes on two floors. One of our unique options for smaller groups is "The Nest", a second floor private dining room for 8-14 guests. Reservations for The Nest can be made by contacting us directly.
- Private Party Contact: Jenifer Apazidis 9782742231x
- Entertainment: The Raven Pub will be offering live entertainment starting at 9pm Friday and Saturday evenings. Live music on Wednesdays 5:30-7:30 followed by Trivia. Please check our online calendar for complete listing of entertainment and their upcoming dates!
A word from The Red Raven
Located on a private pond next to Lake Nagog, The Red Raven Gastropub will offer two menus and two levels of dining, a lower-level divided into a fine-dining bistro and a casual pub-style area and upstairs will feature the same menu, the Loft open Wednesday, Friday, Saturday at 6:30PM features "The Loft Menu". Brunch served every Sunday starting at 11:30am. Using locally sourced products when available, our menus offer both the familiar and esoteric options you have been looking for. Offering a beer menu of 60+ Craft Brews, local favorites and special releases, a enticing handcrafted cocktail menu and extensive wine list. Outdoor waterfront dining available daily starting at 11:30.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Red Raven reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
vibrant bar scene (26)good for groups (25)neighborhood gem (22)fit for foodies (21)scenic view (20)great for outdoor dining (16)special occasion (14)hot spot (13)romantic (9)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (6)great for lunch (5)notable wine list (4)great for brunch (3)Show More
- Great place to meet friends!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/23/2014A friend and I went to the Red Raven as a last minute brunch option and couldn't have been happier with the food and beverage selection, as well as the service. The space itself was roomy, well decorated for the season, a good selection of food options for our differing palates, and even better selection of beers and cocktails. We plan to use The Red Raven as our new regular meeting spot, and I've already started to spread the word to other friends about our experience. We are most looking forward to the outdoor patio this summer! Keep up the excellent service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SlowJLymanVIPDined on 11/21/2014Entrees very late in arriving - no explanation or apology.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Given the alternatives...ICouldEatVIPDined on 11/15/2014Not my first visit but two of my guests had never been. I get what Red Raven wants to be but it's just okay for me. With so few good options in Acton I can see why this place is popular for locals. My hand-cut sirloin was fatty/gristly. It did not include fresh horseradish as on the menu, though that wouldn't have helped the cut of meat much. My wife's garden papardelle arrived several minutes after the other two entrees for the table and was undercooked (not al dente, undercooked). Neither dish was worth sending back since the dining room was filling up and the kitchen already seemed overwhelmed. Food portions were generous. Cocktails were skimpy on alcohol. Service was polite and prompt.Special Features:
- Pleasant surpriseMarinaDined on 11/14/2014The first time we dined here just days after restaurant opened and weren't impressed. Decided to give it a second chance and were pleasantly surprised. The menu has improved greatly and we had a great meal. It got a bit loud as evening progressed. Overall, we had good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date night and our first time there was terrific!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/14/2014Overall terrific experience. We had a reservation through OpenTable for 6:30PM on a Friday and when we got there, there were lots of people and a very fun ambiance. We were seated quickly and it just got better and better. Service was attentive and friendly and we keep talking about the food. Dishes you will recognize but with a New England and seasonal twist (we went in November). Have told many people how fun and great the food was. Will definitely go back. Wonderful to have such a neighborhood gem in the Acton-Littleton-Boxborough area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fun place to dineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014The layout of the Raven accommodates the social crowd with raised tables and chairs in the middle of the main room and also the diners out for a peaceful meal with tables along the outer parts of the room. I went with a friend and we sat at the nice table with a view of the water. The service was great even though the place was busy. We started with salads. The ceasar salad is a treat that I have never experienced anywhere else. I highly recommend it. For dinner, I had the rack of lamb and my friend the chicken (I don't remember the name of the dishes). The food was prepared well and presented nicely. The flavor (that's what it's all about right?) was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy EatersBooKatDined on 11/7/2014We were hesitant due to the mixed reviews on Yelp re: slow service but are happy to report that we experienced none of that. Server was very attentive and food came out at appropriate intervals. Generous portion of seared foie gras for an individual app and the chicharrones (crispy fried pork belly) were for the most part tasty (save one piece which seemed to have escaped the fryer and was blubbery). Mains were pork, burger with fried egg and bleu cheese and chicken two ways. Didn't taste the pork, but the chicken was delicious (although the mushroom sauce was a bit too reduced; overly thick). Burger with egg was really good and quite large, enough to share. Nice space inside; we'll come back here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red Raven is excellentHBREVIPDined on 11/1/2014The duck is delicious _ a must try! We always have a terrific dining experience at Red Raven. The managerial staff and waitstaff aim to please.Special Features:
- Cool place to grab a drink & biteEricDined on 11/1/2014Nice view of a lake, cozy bar and very busy. Food was pub fare plus a number of original creations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red RavenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Food and service were great... a little annoyed with the canned music volume. We were sitting in the dining room and a bit too loud. Also, the noise level as the dining room filled with patrons was a bit loud as well. Not the place for a quiet dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- so so all aroundjehjDined on 11/1/2014We were early. Wait staff hung around our table to read and discuss the menu. Could not find any entries we wanted. There was no filet just a14 oz steak. My wife's vegetable lasagna arrived cold. The place felt drafty. Not sure what it would be like in the winter.
- Somewhat lackingluv2dineDined on 10/31/2014I was very excited to dine at the Red Raven on Halloween, however I left somewhat disappointed in the food and service. Hostess greeted nicely, sat quickly, but slapped the menus on the table while we were still at the stand. Drink menu wasn't dropped upon seating, took a while to order drinks. Came out 1 at a time. We ordered an app, it was fine. We had to ask for bread and water refill. Server wasn't very attentive to our needs. We ordered the brisket, which was ok, but portion was small for price. I ordered the pork shank. Very meaty, portion size good, but lacked flavor. White bean ragout was undercooked. Kale was bitter. Had to give half my shank to partner because he was still hungry. For $30 an entree, I'd expect better.Special Features:
- ImprovingStone13VIPDined on 10/30/2014Three out of four of us enjoyed our meals. The three beef dishes (Steak Frites, Brisket and the burger) were very good but the salmon tasted a bit off. The service has definitely improved since earlier visits and we always enjoy the ambiance of the unique building and the views of Nagog Pond.Special Features:
- Food very good service LackingUnhappydinerVIPDined on 10/25/2014The food was very good and because we arrived early (6:30) the noise level was fine. The service was extremely slow and almost non existent, which was a shame.Special Features:
- Not Very PleasedTCandSEMDined on 10/25/2014We were seated at 6:30 at the time of our reservation. The dinners arrived at 8:15. The server, while not his fault, was not very encouraging. Two of the 5 people dining were very not pleased with their food. When asked, the server just shrugged his shoulders. Very little apology, no manager visit, no offer of a free drink or dessert. Very disappointing and we will not return. By the way, the Saturday night live music started upstairs at 8:30 pm - we were on the lower floor directly below the music. Through the opening in the floor (its like a rustic tavern) it was impossible for us to hear each other. Too bad - this is a nice spot and the restaurant is well appointed.
- Uneven experience.FoodieCoupleFromNYCVIPDined on 10/25/2014The server was pleasant but the orders were a little screwed up. My wife did not like her dinner choice. She felt it was very bland. The owner was kind enough to offer us free desert. The sunset view was quite pretty. The apps were very good and I liked my burger. All in, I recomend keeping it simple if I ever return. I would go for drinks and apps for sure.Special Features:
- Red Raven: always a go to favoriteHBREVIPDined on 10/23/2014The meal was delicious. Loved the duck! Excellent service can't wait to try the brunch.Special Features:
- Not fabulously deliciousEatieVIPDined on 10/4/2014The atmosphere was pleasant and so was our server but the food, although it was very presentable wasn't anything special. It was good but I live in Manhattan and expected a bit more flavor. I ordered the duck which was not bad, but my date ordered a steak which was a bit fatty and not flavorful either. Some of the other diners suggested the Mac and Cheese which we might try if we go back.
- Just Okluckyj191Dined on 10/4/2014We visited on Saturday, October 4, 2014. We used Open Table to reserve a table but it wasn't necessary. When we walked in around 6 there were only two tables filled so obviously no wait. We ordered a few appetizers to share which were delicious. If we ever were to return we would likely sit in the bar area and just do appetizers, they were very good. The meals (farm fresh brisket and a burger) were both underwhelming. They had unique seasonings that neither of us cared for. Also, the brisket had a TON of fat on it that couldn't be eaten. While I ordered the burger well done, it was much more dry than other burgers I've ordered well done at other restaurants. All in all, we were not overly impressed and probably won't return.
- A terrific evening.ORACDined on 10/2/2014This is my 2nd time having dinner at the Red Raven. I met an old friend. We sat for 3 hours - the appetizers (scallops and escargot) and entrees (salmon and flat iron steak) were perfect. The deserts (lemon tart and chocolate cake) were to die for. But throughout it all was a fabulous server who could not have been more attentive or more charming. Well done Red Raven!Special Features:
- not thrilled with waitgrotonfoodieDined on 9/27/2014My husband and I had a reservation at Red Raven and had to wait twenty minutes to get seated. I heard the hostess tell people without reservations that the wait would be 15 to 20 minutes at the most. What's up with that? When I mentioned it to the hostess, she had an attitude like, oh well, just deal. She told me that I shouldn't have a problem with having to wait, and that it wasn't her fault a table wasn't ready, it was the customers who took longer than expected that were the cause of the problem. Service people should never blame a problem on someone else! Dinner took a very long time, the service was very slow, most likely due to the crowd. The food and drinks were good. I will warn friends that a reservation is meaningless.Special Features:
- Front of house lets Kitchen DOWNRobSVIPDined on 9/27/2014I have been to The Red Raven now twice I came back because of the food. It is very good for the Burbs. The menu is imaginative, and they also do farm to table as well. Both presentation and taste are done VERY well. The Front of the house absolutely fails though. My first visit, I sat at the bar on a Wed. night and found the service terrific. This visit however was on a Sat night and from the hostess to the waiter it was miserable. Our table was poorly situated, and there were several miscues by the staff. As examples, the end of the meal we still had the menus + 6 different empty glasses on the table. The hostess politely even tried to pick up a dropped napkin off the floor and hand it back for use. It'll be hard to go back or recommend.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/27/2014While the food, the location, and the general ambiance is quite good, the service is very slow. It seems the wait staff is untrained in simple things like water refills, silverware on the table before food is served and a good knowledge of the menu items. Having to wait 10 minutes for extra ketchup is ridiculous!Special Features:
- Go 4 the food, not 4 the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/27/2014Popular dinner spot. Layout is great. Divided dining keeps each area with a different feel, from a energetic bar scene, formal dining room, romantic tables on the porch over looking the lake, and a casual loft space upstairs. Food--AMAZING. We had the goat cheese fritters as appetizers, duck and salmon as entrees, turtle cheesecake and butterscotch pudding (with candied bacon) for dessert. Each was well prepared and had a modern twist. Service? Well, I will not go into details here but anyone can have an off night. We will give them another try in a month or so and update Open Table.Special Features:
- Great couples date night out.taylor42Dined on 9/27/2014Great experience! We ordered 3-4 things to share and couldn't finish but we wanted to try a bit of everything. Great BLT salad, mac and cheese and fantastic Ribeye. Definitely going back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food!lmacDined on 9/27/2014Food was delicious. We all ate every last bit of it. I had the fish and chips which was excellent. The brussels sprouts were amazing and mouth watering. We sat outside on the deck around sunset with the fall foliage setting it and it was beautiful. We'll be back!Special Features:
- A pleasant view1D0404Dined on 9/14/2014The back porch overlooking the river is a very nice setting. We started with the fried calamari. It was disappointing because the coating fell off of most of the rings (which were chewier than they should be) and the 'sauce' that it was served over was lacking. We followed with the fish and the beef tacos. There were 3 small tacos per order, which was good value for the price. However, the fish tacos had very little flavor. The beef was better, but both we're lacking a mix of textures and favors.Special Features:
- Interesting but limited menuNellVIPDined on 9/8/2014The quality and presentation of the food was good. However, if you are trying to avoid starchy meals, this is probably not the place to go. There were very few good choices on the menu that did not contain carbs.Special Features:
- Pretty goodfoodluvrDined on 9/5/2014Food was good although a lot of the options that we looked at were Out (our reservation was at 8:30). They mentioned that this is due to their farm to table service style and therefore they do not do a lot of things in bulk. Service started off well however once our order was taken, service was VERY slow!!! Mixed drinks were terrible all around. That being said, we would return. It's a nice spot to hang out in the area.Special Features:
- Nice menuSusannahDined on 8/31/2014- wide range of price offerings - liked that they saved us a quiet table that we requestedSpecial Features:
- ups and downsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/16/2014This was our second time at Red Raven. The chef is talented, offering interesting combinations of taste and texture without going crazy. Our server seemed quite young and almost too eager to please. Every selection we made was 'perfect' and while it is difficult to criticize his level of enthusiasm, I nearly asked if he was old enough to drink the wine we'd selected, which was of course, perfect. There was a problem with the kitchen and a misunderstanding about the way my husband wanted his steak cooked. The med rare version was taken back and quickly replaced, but it was odd because the server assured us he'd put in the order for very rare. I had mussels which were lovely, but no bread! I had to ask.Special Features:
- Nice family dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/9/2014We went out with our 2 kids. The kids had the mac and cheese. My husband and I the calamari. I wanted to lick the plate it was so good. I had the lettuce wraps and my husband had the steak. Food was well seasoned. All in all no complaints until dessert. We got the Creme Brulee and it just wasn't... it was yellow custard and lacked any kind of vanilla flavoring. Bland and nothing special. Also got the lemon tart which was very sweet and nothing special as well. A lovely meal, but we should have stopped and skipped the dessert.Special Features:
- Great findSmilesAlwaysDined on 7/31/2014We came from Needham as we had heard so many great things about the Raven. Each dish was better than the previous and the drinks and beer flights were fantastic. We ordered meals that sounded interesting and different and they were fantastic. A Great Find!Special Features:
- Wanted it to be GreatDfayDined on 7/31/2014Pleasant dining room, interesting menu. Nice potions and food was tasty. Service was absolutely Terrible. Menus were stained. Not a good first impression. Might try some appetizers at the bar if I went back.Special Features:
- The following 95 reviews are from the The Red Raven reviews archive.
- Nice viewJohnDined on 7/27/2014Seated on the porch with a good view of the sunset on the pond. The special of striped bass on a swiss chard salad was very good. However, one of the other specials, the barbecued brisket was all gone, too popular. Would have then chosen one of the entrees listed on their website, the veal schnitzel, but that is no longer on their menu. Settled for the flat iron steak which was done med-rare as requested, but it was just okay. We also enjoyed the roasted brussels sprouts with lots of maple syrup and bacon pieces in the butter melting over them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good pacing of service offLickingMyChopsVIPDined on 7/26/2014My wife and I decided lets give it a go for a nice date night bite. We were crunched into a two seater table next to the fireplace and abutting us was a large family party with many infants and young children (mood breaker and loud). Our waiter didn't have a pulse and excitement throughout the meal and strangely enough our appetizer of calamari (thumbs up with peppers) came way before our water or drinks (pacing is a problem). My wife ordered the special, brisket which was quite tasty with only small portions of fat. I ordered the steak frites and enjoyed the "tomato jam" and homemade steak sauce. Kids menu was quite limiting so I would not recommend this as a family dining spot (hot dogs, brioche griddled cheese, mac and cheese).
- MepRapDined on 7/19/2014Had a great time. Server was friendly but not overly "hovering". Drinks were good. Food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice week night dinner spotJudyDined on 7/19/2014Twice we have had a nice, relaxed dinner at The Red Raven. We enjoy sharing a couple of starters and then adding a salad or flatbread. The beer selection is very good and dining on the porch was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed dining on the deckFridaynightdatenightDined on 7/18/2014I had read reviews about the service being poor, but we went on a Friday evening and the service was great. The waiter was knowledgeable and friendly and, even as we sent him away 2-3 times because we couldn't decide what to order, he still came back in a timely manner. We had wine and ended up with 4 apps for our dinner. The crabcake special was excellent - almost all crab and very little filler. The chiccarones had a kick which was just spicy enough. The terra cotta cheese plate was really good - I never would have paired melted cheese with garlic and spicy pickles but it really worked. The brussel sprouts were on the sweet side and not cooked as much as we would have liked but they were okay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinner on the porchzotonDined on 7/16/2014My wife and I were seated on the porch overlooking the pond and we enjoyed the ambiance. Our server Sean was very attentive and knowledgeable of the menu, having 'tried everything'. I chose the 'grilled cheese and tomato soup' which was quite good. The bread was from a local bakery that we like and the goat cheese and herbs made for an interesting taste. The tomato soup was a nice consistency and had a moderate spiced flavor. I had Fullers ESB beer with the meal, which was excellent. Good beer selection. My wife ordered white sangria to start and with her meal. She liked it a lot. She ordered a risotto dish which she said was good, though I believe she wished she had chosen something lighter for the warm summer night meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.