The Red Raven
3 Nagog Park
Acton, MA 01720Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Red Raven
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.redravenacton.com/
- Phone: 9782742231x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 5:00pm, Dinner: Daily at 5:00pm. "The Loft" upstairs is open Wednesday, Friday, Saturday at 6:30 with a different menu. Brunch served Sunday 11:30am-2:30pm (last seating). Deck open daily at 11:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, American, Gastro Pub
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Red Raven has private event space for groups of all sizes on two floors. One of our unique options for smaller groups is "The Nest", a second floor private dining room for 8-14 guests. Reservations for The Nest can be made by contacting us directly.
- Private Party Contact: Jenifer Apazidis 9782742231x
- Entertainment: The Raven Pub will be offering live entertainment starting at 9pm Friday and Saturday evenings. Live music on Wednesdays 5:30-7:30 followed by Trivia. Please check our online calendar for complete listing of entertainment and their upcoming dates!
A word from The Red Raven
Located on a private pond next to Lake Nagog, The Red Raven Gastropub will offer two menus and two levels of dining, a lower-level divided into a fine-dining bistro and a casual pub-style area and upstairs will feature the same menu, the Loft open Wednesday, Friday, Saturday at 6:30PM features "The Loft Menu". Brunch served every Sunday starting at 11:30am. Using locally sourced products when available, our menus offer both the familiar and esoteric options you have been looking for. Offering a beer menu of 60+ Craft Brews, local favorites and special releases, a enticing handcrafted cocktail menu and extensive wine list. Outdoor waterfront dining available daily starting at 11:30.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
The Red Raven - Best Restaurants in Acton ›
The Red Raven reviews from OpenTable diners
66 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (31)fit for foodies (27)great for outdoor dining (26)vibrant bar scene (25)neighborhood gem (23)good for groups (13)romantic (11)special occasion (9)hot spot (8)kid-friendly (8)late-night find (7)notable wine list (7)great for brunch (5)great for lunch (4)Show More
- ups and downsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/16/2014This was our second time at Red Raven. The chef is talented, offering interesting combinations of taste and texture without going crazy. Our server seemed quite young and almost too eager to please. Every selection we made was 'perfect' and while it is difficult to criticize his level of enthusiasm, I nearly asked if he was old enough to drink the wine we'd selected, which was of course, perfect. There was a problem with the kitchen and a misunderstanding about the way my husband wanted his steak cooked. The med rare version was taken back and quickly replaced, but it was odd because the server assured us he'd put in the order for very rare. I had mussels which were lovely, but no bread! I had to ask.Special Features:
- Funky attitudeHPfoodieDined on 8/14/2014We went to the Red Raven because of the great reviews. We had just returned from our White Water rafting tour of the Grand Canyon and we were tired and hungry. We showed up and had to give the host our name 3 times while he was shuffling through papers to try to find our reservation (our name is nor hard to prenounce). Finally we spelled it and we were seated. The waitress was polite but acted like she had an attitude. The food was decent enough but we had an excellent meal the night before at another restaurant in Williams and truthfully, I am not sure we would bother to eat here again if we ever return to Williams.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice family dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/9/2014We went out with our 2 kids. The kids had the mac and cheese. My husband and I the calamari. I wanted to lick the plate it was so good. I had the lettuce wraps and my husband had the steak. Food was well seasoned. All in all no complaints until dessert. We got the Creme Brulee and it just wasn't... it was yellow custard and lacked any kind of vanilla flavoring. Bland and nothing special. Also got the lemon tart which was very sweet and nothing special as well. A lovely meal, but we should have stopped and skipped the dessert.Special Features:
- Great findSmilesAlwaysDined on 7/31/2014We came from Needham as we had heard so many great things about the Raven. Each dish was better than the previous and the drinks and beer flights were fantastic. We ordered meals that sounded interesting and different and they were fantastic. A Great Find!Special Features:
- Wanted it to be GreatDfayDined on 7/31/2014Pleasant dining room, interesting menu. Nice potions and food was tasty. Service was absolutely Terrible. Menus were stained. Not a good first impression. Might try some appetizers at the bar if I went back.Special Features:
- Nice viewJohnDined on 7/27/2014Seated on the porch with a good view of the sunset on the pond. The special of striped bass on a swiss chard salad was very good. However, one of the other specials, the barbecued brisket was all gone, too popular. Would have then chosen one of the entrees listed on their website, the veal schnitzel, but that is no longer on their menu. Settled for the flat iron steak which was done med-rare as requested, but it was just okay. We also enjoyed the roasted brussels sprouts with lots of maple syrup and bacon pieces in the butter melting over them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good pacing of service offLickingMyChopsDined on 7/26/2014My wife and I decided lets give it a go for a nice date night bite. We were crunched into a two seater table next to the fireplace and abutting us was a large family party with many infants and young children (mood breaker and loud). Our waiter didn't have a pulse and excitement throughout the meal and strangely enough our appetizer of calamari (thumbs up with peppers) came way before our water or drinks (pacing is a problem). My wife ordered the special, brisket which was quite tasty with only small portions of fat. I ordered the steak frites and enjoyed the "tomato jam" and homemade steak sauce. Kids menu was quite limiting so I would not recommend this as a family dining spot (hot dogs, brioche griddled cheese, mac and cheese).
- MepRapDined on 7/19/2014Had a great time. Server was friendly but not overly "hovering". Drinks were good. Food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice week night dinner spotJudyDined on 7/19/2014Twice we have had a nice, relaxed dinner at The Red Raven. We enjoy sharing a couple of starters and then adding a salad or flatbread. The beer selection is very good and dining on the porch was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed dining on the deckFridaynightdatenightDined on 7/18/2014I had read reviews about the service being poor, but we went on a Friday evening and the service was great. The waiter was knowledgeable and friendly and, even as we sent him away 2-3 times because we couldn't decide what to order, he still came back in a timely manner. We had wine and ended up with 4 apps for our dinner. The crabcake special was excellent - almost all crab and very little filler. The chiccarones had a kick which was just spicy enough. The terra cotta cheese plate was really good - I never would have paired melted cheese with garlic and spicy pickles but it really worked. The brussel sprouts were on the sweet side and not cooked as much as we would have liked but they were okay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinner on the porchzotonDined on 7/16/2014My wife and I were seated on the porch overlooking the pond and we enjoyed the ambiance. Our server Sean was very attentive and knowledgeable of the menu, having 'tried everything'. I chose the 'grilled cheese and tomato soup' which was quite good. The bread was from a local bakery that we like and the goat cheese and herbs made for an interesting taste. The tomato soup was a nice consistency and had a moderate spiced flavor. I had Fullers ESB beer with the meal, which was excellent. Good beer selection. My wife ordered white sangria to start and with her meal. She liked it a lot. She ordered a risotto dish which she said was good, though I believe she wished she had chosen something lighter for the warm summer night meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not great.....LuluDined on 6/28/2014Have been for lunch and enjoyed. Dinner was disappointing. Food was just ok and service a little lackluster. Hope it was just a one time thing. We'll try again and hope they were having an off night.I would recommend this to a friend.
- EatWellDined on 6/28/2014Sitting on the deck to watch the geese in the pond and a beautiful sunset, while enjoying good food and wine is a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diane CroswellCrosFamilyDined on 6/27/2014Glad this place is in the neighborhood, we will make this a regular "anytime" place for our family. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it every time!HBREVIPDined on 6/26/2014Red Raven has become our favorite local restaurant. The food is always delicious and the staff aims to please! I have enjoyed every meal, and the chef is flexible depending on how busy it is to accommodate requests.Special Features:
- gastropub in the burbsmumof3Dined on 6/25/2014My husband and I love this little gem in Acton- a great bar scene, great beer selection, and well made food makes for a great date night. My only complaint is I don't find that the entrees currently offered appeal to me, but I am happy to make a meal of starters, which have all been excellent. My favorite is the hush-puppies- which I haven't had since I lived down South 15 years ago.Special Features:
- Flashes of brillianceStowfoodieDined on 6/20/2014This was my third visit to Red Raven and possibly my last. Love the atmosphere, the drink list and the roasted brussel sprouts appetizer! However our cheese fondue plate was salty and not melted enough, and despite asking for my flat iron steak frites on the 'rare' side, they still managed to overcook it. Good effort, but still some kinks to work out.Special Features:
- Mixed Brunch ReviewSweetnsavoryDined on 6/15/2014The hostess was friendly in her greeting, but when I told her I'd asked for our reservation to be at an outdoor table, she said we never reserve the deck. She was pretty negative about our chances, but I asked her to check the deck. There were, in fact, two open tables and we had our choice. Once seated, the server was very slow to come over and we had to chase him over a few times for items that weren't on the table (salt and pepper, water, ketchup for fries). The food and the view were good. The music was too loud, fine for 6pm cocktails not a Sunday brunch. I asked the server if they could change it or turn it down. after checking inside the answer was no. We would've stayed longer and ordered more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not running backHeatherLDined on 6/14/2014I am admittedly disappointed in this restaurant. The location is great and the staff friendly and service-oriented. The appetizers were quite good, in fact delicious...and then...the entrees were not pleasing at all. Out of our party of 4, only one individual felt satisfied (actually liked her meal) and she had had the only sandwich/burger of the night. The fish special I tried had an unpleasant consistency and very overpowering syrupy orange flavor. Too bad. I might go back for appetizers and drinks but wouldn't return for dinner.
- great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/10/2014Great time at the Red Raven! Great food, properly prepared cocktail, and an awesome beer equal a great hidden gem for people in the area. Drinks did seem to take some time from the bar, but we were in the dining area and the bar was fairly busy. Definately worth another trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencegrotonfoodieDined on 6/8/2014Went with some friends after a concert and had a very relaxing and enjoyable meal. The service was great, the food quite yummy, and had a nice glass of bubbly to go with the meal. I have been here a number of times and it is consistently good.Special Features:
- Birthday Dinner for twoBob39Dined on 6/7/2014Service was great. Steak not as good as last time. Seemed too chewy. Very accommodating for those who split entrees. Bourbon Manhattan cocktail tasted strange. Not sure what was in it. Didn't taste alcoholic. Was too noisy inside. Had to move to the enclosed porch which was fine. Great view of the pond.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cannot wait to return!HBREVIPDined on 6/6/2014The tuna preparation is always perfect. Creative and delicious entrees. Staff is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Who knew?!Stan2MariaDined on 6/3/2014My wife and I have been there a few times and each time we try something new. The menu is great, just enough choices to fit any mood you're in. Valentines day we had a lovely romantic dinner, recently we sat outside on the deck where it's so relaxing you'd think in the middle of the country with the trees and pond view. Everyone is very attentive to your needs, very polite, food presentation is wonderful and of course the taste! We had the escargot, like none I've ever had, my wife was in heaven after eating it. This place is a must try! Thanks Red Raven :)Special Features:
- Waitress needed more trainingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/3/2014Our waitress said she was new but was on her own and she didn't know the drink and food menu at allSpecial Features:
- We'll be backDaisyVIPDined on 5/24/2014I heard good things and was not disappointed! The decor is cozy and the service was just the right amount attentive. The live music perched above the bar was pleasant without being overbearing. There is a large cocktail list and sufficient wine list - two of us had "Bluebirds" (a kind of blueberry mojito but made with blueberry vodka) that was out of this world without being overly strong. Although the menu was a little limited, the food was excellent. This one's a keeper.Special Features:
- Just so-soJohnDined on 5/24/2014I read other reviews but had to try it for myself. Went on Sat night and when arrived I was impressed by the location and setting. In short, food was OK with an interesting menu, I had to send appetizer back because it was cold, not just warm. My Entree was good, my wife's scallops were OK. Service was unattentive, with wait staff spending more time in kitchen or prep room than with diners. Our server appeared not to like his job. By 9:30 pm they were prepping for next day and those of us left knew the night was done, even if we weren't. Likely won't return.Special Features:
- Food okay and service okaycarlyVIPDined on 5/23/2014The food was well prepared but the flavor was very okay. I would stick with the simpler things on the menu, the more complex items have very intense flavors which you may or may not like. The service was also ok, we had to get the waiters attention once or twice and it took a bit to get the initial drink order in. Great space and atmosphere and will definitely come back for the bar area which seemed dynamic and fun.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor waitservice soured our eveningLadyJaneVIPDined on 5/17/2014Oh, I was so happy to be returning after an excellent prior experience. We had been lucky to have a highly professional and attentive waiter on our last visit. Not so this past Saturday evening...I had seen some negative reviews and now I completely understand why...This place has so much going for it...excellent food and extensive libation list, great atmosphere, nice outdoor dining and enclosed porch overlooking ponds. Hostess was, again, very welcoming and accommodating. But our waitress...she was probably the worst I have ever experienced anywhere. It was so unfortunate as I had thought we discovered a new local favorite as I had stated in a March review...not sure I will return again. Such a major disappointment!Special Features:
- Better Luck next timeNotRavingforRedanymoreDined on 5/11/2014I made a reservation for Mother's Day and I called twice to ensure that my daughter's egg allergy could be accommodated, and also that I could order the brussel sprouts that I was craving, but was not on the brunch menu. I was assured that it would be OK and I could order from any menu. When we got there, neither turned out to be true. None of the items on the Little Raven menu could she have. We decided to leave but first informed the manager of what had happened. She was defensive and offered that my six year old could have a burger (without the bun) and brussel sprouts. Really? She also told me the brussel sprouts were on the brunch menu. It is not. We left and had to scramble for a place to eat. I was very disappointed.
- Red Raven reviewDinerDashDined on 5/7/2014beer list is excellent.... got cheeseburger excellent worst risotto ever!!! service was very good waitress was great desserts limited were good. salted caramel ice cream from Kimball farm was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, tasty fooddelicious2dineDined on 5/3/2014The food was so delicious and presented well. We had a very pleasant attentive waiter, gracious hostess and felt a warm romantic atmosphere with music upstairs to listen to!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and servicerobbo9200Dined on 4/25/2014Our waiter was knowledgeable, friendly and professional. The menu has a wide variety of food...and price ranges. Our dinner was outstanding...my wife ordered pea soup, roasted brussel sprouts, and lamb meatballs all served separated like tapis. I had a grilled cheese and tomato soup...both were beautifully done...not your father's grilled cheese or tomato soup!Special Features:
- The following 66 reviews are from the The Red Raven reviews archive.
- First timeJim01460Dined on 4/18/2014Great new local option. Friendly staff and an interesting menu. The tuna and mussels were cooked perfectly. Looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- nice placeOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/18/2014We had made reservations for a Friday dinner but at 5:30 it was only busy at the bar. By 6:00 it was getting full. The menu is inventive and we found quite a few it's we were eager to try. All of the following on d was great. My husband's steak was cooked as he likes it...medium rare. My burger was delicious with lots of tasty additions and a wonderful brioche roll. The server was not the best, though. When asked about the maple glazed Brussels sprouts, he said he didn't like Brussels sprouts and couldn't tell us. When asked about the curried yellow pea soup, he had a similar reply. Either the staff should try each dish before hitting the floor, or they should just love all the dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful setting falls shortVeteranswifeVIPDined on 4/16/2014The Red Raven has been completely renovated from the old Scupper Jack's place and it is beautiful with an awesome view of the pond and sunsets. That's where the awesomeness ends, I'm afraid. The server was a bit condescending, the food choices were way out of our comfort zone (lots of sausage, bacon, tongue, German inspired food) and the prices were pretty steep. We had the Veal schnitzel which was very tasty (enjoyed the egg on top) but the menu was so limiting that we all ordered the same thing hoping it would be safe. The lamb currant meatballs as an appetizer were dried out so much that they were not enjoyable and the seasonings were all over the place. So for the price, I'll stick to a more eclectic menu at other restaurants.
- Gets Better and BetterCrankinSteveVIPDined on 4/11/2014Many times we just eat at the bar. This time we had dinner in the dining area. Entrees were delicious both fish and veal. Beer was perfect, especially the flight of wheat beer. They are starting to use the right type of glass when serving the beers. First Sangria was perfect. Second Sangria was in a less desirable glass due to the bar running out of glasses. Service leaves used dishes and glasses on table for way to long. They need to bring on staff to clear tables as the waitstaff is too busy. Overall, our waiter was friendly and knowledgable. Most of the time there are others who deliver the meals. So, the place gets better each time. We like it. It is certainly popular. Been there about six times now. I will go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everyone loved their meal but meutiggyDined on 4/6/2014We had 6-person dinner with in-laws and kids. They've done a great job making the place look good since the Scupperjack days. Everyone ordered steak. I ordered fish. Everyone liked their steak. My fish was so-so. I didn't like the rub on my tuna niscoise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best new spot in Acton area!HazyBostonVIPDined on 4/5/2014We love The Red Raven! Great space, environment with a nice view. The Raven has some really nice energy & a mixed crowd which ranges from young professionals, to date-night to families. Not the best place in the evening for young children. Can't wait for the deck to open when the weather gets nicer.Special Features:
- Split PersonalityActonCoupleDined on 4/5/2014The place seems to be mostly a burger and sandwich joint. It has a short high end dining menu. My wife and I sampled from this for dinner. The onion soup was regular. The vienna schnitzel was decent, but not as good as I've had in the past. It was a bit greasy and the layers split. My wife's garden salad was well made and tasty, but she thought there was a bit too much salad dressing. She usually gets it on the side as this is her bias, so others may find it just right. I got a sampler of 4 hoppy beers on tap which made my evening. We also ran into friends at the bar on our way out and that was fun. We thought might run into locals and we did which also improved our experience. Also, service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.