The Red Raven
3 Nagog Park
Acton, MA 01720Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Red Raven
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.redravenacton.com/
- Phone: 9782742231x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 5:00pm, Dinner: Daily at 5:00pm. "The Loft" upstairs is open Wednesday, Friday, Saturday at 6:30 with a different menu. Brunch served Sunday 11:30am-2:30pm (last seating). Deck open daily at 11:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, American, Gastro Pub
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Red Raven has private event space for groups of all sizes on two floors. One of our unique options for smaller groups is "The Nest", a second floor private dining room for 8-14 guests. Reservations for The Nest can be made by contacting us directly.
- Private Party Contact: Jenifer Apazidis 9782742231x
- Entertainment: The Raven Pub will be offering live entertainment starting at 9pm Friday and Saturday evenings. Live music on Wednesdays 5:30-7:30 followed by Trivia. Please check our online calendar for complete listing of entertainment and their upcoming dates!
A word from The Red Raven
Located on a private pond next to Lake Nagog, The Red Raven Gastropub will offer two menus and two levels of dining, a lower-level divided into a fine-dining bistro and a casual pub-style area and upstairs will feature the same menu, the Loft open Wednesday, Friday, Saturday at 6:30PM features "The Loft Menu". Brunch served every Sunday starting at 11:30am. Using locally sourced products when available, our menus offer both the familiar and esoteric options you have been looking for. Offering a beer menu of 60+ Craft Brews, local favorites and special releases, a enticing handcrafted cocktail menu and extensive wine list. Outdoor waterfront dining available daily starting at 11:30.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
The Red Raven - Best Restaurants in Acton ›
The Red Raven reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (20)great for outdoor dining (17)neighborhood gem (15)vibrant bar scene (14)good for groups (13)fit for foodies (13)special occasion (7)romantic (6)great for lunch (4)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (3)notable wine list (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Just Okluckyj191Dined on 10/4/2014We visited on Saturday, October 4, 2014. We used Open Table to reserve a table but it wasn't necessary. When we walked in around 6 there were only two tables filled so obviously no wait. We ordered a few appetizers to share which were delicious. If we ever were to return we would likely sit in the bar area and just do appetizers, they were very good. The meals (farm fresh brisket and a burger) were both underwhelming. They had unique seasonings that neither of us cared for. Also, the brisket had a TON of fat on it that couldn't be eaten. While I ordered the burger well done, it was much more dry than other burgers I've ordered well done at other restaurants. All in all, we were not overly impressed and probably won't return.
- A terrific evening.ORACDined on 10/2/2014This is my 2nd time having dinner at the Red Raven. I met an old friend. We sat for 3 hours - the appetizers (scallops and escargot) and entrees (salmon and flat iron steak) were perfect. The deserts (lemon tart and chocolate cake) were to die for. But throughout it all was a fabulous server who could not have been more attentive or more charming. Well done Red Raven!Special Features:
- not thrilled with waitgrotonfoodieDined on 9/27/2014My husband and I had a reservation at Red Raven and had to wait twenty minutes to get seated. I heard the hostess tell people without reservations that the wait would be 15 to 20 minutes at the most. What's up with that? When I mentioned it to the hostess, she had an attitude like, oh well, just deal. She told me that I shouldn't have a problem with having to wait, and that it wasn't her fault a table wasn't ready, it was the customers who took longer than expected that were the cause of the problem. Service people should never blame a problem on someone else! Dinner took a very long time, the service was very slow, most likely due to the crowd. The food and drinks were good. I will warn friends that a reservation is meaningless.Special Features:
- Front of house lets Kitchen DOWNRobSVIPDined on 9/27/2014I have been to The Red Raven now twice I came back because of the food. It is very good for the Burbs. The menu is imaginative, and they also do farm to table as well. Both presentation and taste are done VERY well. The Front of the house absolutely fails though. My first visit, I sat at the bar on a Wed. night and found the service terrific. This visit however was on a Sat night and from the hostess to the waiter it was miserable. Our table was poorly situated, and there were several miscues by the staff. As examples, the end of the meal we still had the menus + 6 different empty glasses on the table. The hostess politely even tried to pick up a dropped napkin off the floor and hand it back for use. It'll be hard to go back or recommend.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/27/2014While the food, the location, and the general ambiance is quite good, the service is very slow. It seems the wait staff is untrained in simple things like water refills, silverware on the table before food is served and a good knowledge of the menu items. Having to wait 10 minutes for extra ketchup is ridiculous!Special Features:
- Go 4 the food, not 4 the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/27/2014Popular dinner spot. Layout is great. Divided dining keeps each area with a different feel, from a energetic bar scene, formal dining room, romantic tables on the porch over looking the lake, and a casual loft space upstairs. Food--AMAZING. We had the goat cheese fritters as appetizers, duck and salmon as entrees, turtle cheesecake and butterscotch pudding (with candied bacon) for dessert. Each was well prepared and had a modern twist. Service? Well, I will not go into details here but anyone can have an off night. We will give them another try in a month or so and update Open Table.Special Features:
- Great couples date night out.taylor42Dined on 9/27/2014Great experience! We ordered 3-4 things to share and couldn't finish but we wanted to try a bit of everything. Great BLT salad, mac and cheese and fantastic Ribeye. Definitely going back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food!lmacDined on 9/27/2014Food was delicious. We all ate every last bit of it. I had the fish and chips which was excellent. The brussels sprouts were amazing and mouth watering. We sat outside on the deck around sunset with the fall foliage setting it and it was beautiful. We'll be back!Special Features:
- A pleasant view1D0404Dined on 9/14/2014The back porch overlooking the river is a very nice setting. We started with the fried calamari. It was disappointing because the coating fell off of most of the rings (which were chewier than they should be) and the 'sauce' that it was served over was lacking. We followed with the fish and the beef tacos. There were 3 small tacos per order, which was good value for the price. However, the fish tacos had very little flavor. The beef was better, but both we're lacking a mix of textures and favors.Special Features:
- Interesting but limited menuNellVIPDined on 9/8/2014The quality and presentation of the food was good. However, if you are trying to avoid starchy meals, this is probably not the place to go. There were very few good choices on the menu that did not contain carbs.Special Features:
- Pretty goodfoodluvrDined on 9/5/2014Food was good although a lot of the options that we looked at were Out (our reservation was at 8:30). They mentioned that this is due to their farm to table service style and therefore they do not do a lot of things in bulk. Service started off well however once our order was taken, service was VERY slow!!! Mixed drinks were terrible all around. That being said, we would return. It's a nice spot to hang out in the area.Special Features:
- Nice menuSusannahDined on 8/31/2014- wide range of price offerings - liked that they saved us a quiet table that we requestedSpecial Features:
- ups and downsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/16/2014This was our second time at Red Raven. The chef is talented, offering interesting combinations of taste and texture without going crazy. Our server seemed quite young and almost too eager to please. Every selection we made was 'perfect' and while it is difficult to criticize his level of enthusiasm, I nearly asked if he was old enough to drink the wine we'd selected, which was of course, perfect. There was a problem with the kitchen and a misunderstanding about the way my husband wanted his steak cooked. The med rare version was taken back and quickly replaced, but it was odd because the server assured us he'd put in the order for very rare. I had mussels which were lovely, but no bread! I had to ask.Special Features:
- Nice family dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/9/2014We went out with our 2 kids. The kids had the mac and cheese. My husband and I the calamari. I wanted to lick the plate it was so good. I had the lettuce wraps and my husband had the steak. Food was well seasoned. All in all no complaints until dessert. We got the Creme Brulee and it just wasn't... it was yellow custard and lacked any kind of vanilla flavoring. Bland and nothing special. Also got the lemon tart which was very sweet and nothing special as well. A lovely meal, but we should have stopped and skipped the dessert.Special Features:
- Great findSmilesAlwaysDined on 7/31/2014We came from Needham as we had heard so many great things about the Raven. Each dish was better than the previous and the drinks and beer flights were fantastic. We ordered meals that sounded interesting and different and they were fantastic. A Great Find!Special Features:
- Wanted it to be GreatDfayDined on 7/31/2014Pleasant dining room, interesting menu. Nice potions and food was tasty. Service was absolutely Terrible. Menus were stained. Not a good first impression. Might try some appetizers at the bar if I went back.Special Features:
- Nice viewJohnDined on 7/27/2014Seated on the porch with a good view of the sunset on the pond. The special of striped bass on a swiss chard salad was very good. However, one of the other specials, the barbecued brisket was all gone, too popular. Would have then chosen one of the entrees listed on their website, the veal schnitzel, but that is no longer on their menu. Settled for the flat iron steak which was done med-rare as requested, but it was just okay. We also enjoyed the roasted brussels sprouts with lots of maple syrup and bacon pieces in the butter melting over them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good pacing of service offLickingMyChopsVIPDined on 7/26/2014My wife and I decided lets give it a go for a nice date night bite. We were crunched into a two seater table next to the fireplace and abutting us was a large family party with many infants and young children (mood breaker and loud). Our waiter didn't have a pulse and excitement throughout the meal and strangely enough our appetizer of calamari (thumbs up with peppers) came way before our water or drinks (pacing is a problem). My wife ordered the special, brisket which was quite tasty with only small portions of fat. I ordered the steak frites and enjoyed the "tomato jam" and homemade steak sauce. Kids menu was quite limiting so I would not recommend this as a family dining spot (hot dogs, brioche griddled cheese, mac and cheese).
- MepRapDined on 7/19/2014Had a great time. Server was friendly but not overly "hovering". Drinks were good. Food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice week night dinner spotJudyDined on 7/19/2014Twice we have had a nice, relaxed dinner at The Red Raven. We enjoy sharing a couple of starters and then adding a salad or flatbread. The beer selection is very good and dining on the porch was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed dining on the deckFridaynightdatenightDined on 7/18/2014I had read reviews about the service being poor, but we went on a Friday evening and the service was great. The waiter was knowledgeable and friendly and, even as we sent him away 2-3 times because we couldn't decide what to order, he still came back in a timely manner. We had wine and ended up with 4 apps for our dinner. The crabcake special was excellent - almost all crab and very little filler. The chiccarones had a kick which was just spicy enough. The terra cotta cheese plate was really good - I never would have paired melted cheese with garlic and spicy pickles but it really worked. The brussel sprouts were on the sweet side and not cooked as much as we would have liked but they were okay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinner on the porchzotonDined on 7/16/2014My wife and I were seated on the porch overlooking the pond and we enjoyed the ambiance. Our server Sean was very attentive and knowledgeable of the menu, having 'tried everything'. I chose the 'grilled cheese and tomato soup' which was quite good. The bread was from a local bakery that we like and the goat cheese and herbs made for an interesting taste. The tomato soup was a nice consistency and had a moderate spiced flavor. I had Fullers ESB beer with the meal, which was excellent. Good beer selection. My wife ordered white sangria to start and with her meal. She liked it a lot. She ordered a risotto dish which she said was good, though I believe she wished she had chosen something lighter for the warm summer night meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not great.....LuluDined on 6/28/2014Have been for lunch and enjoyed. Dinner was disappointing. Food was just ok and service a little lackluster. Hope it was just a one time thing. We'll try again and hope they were having an off night.I would recommend this to a friend.
- EatWellDined on 6/28/2014Sitting on the deck to watch the geese in the pond and a beautiful sunset, while enjoying good food and wine is a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diane CroswellCrosFamilyDined on 6/27/2014Glad this place is in the neighborhood, we will make this a regular "anytime" place for our family. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 86 reviews are from the The Red Raven reviews archive.
- Love it every time!HBREVIPDined on 6/26/2014Red Raven has become our favorite local restaurant. The food is always delicious and the staff aims to please! I have enjoyed every meal, and the chef is flexible depending on how busy it is to accommodate requests.Special Features:
- gastropub in the burbsmumof3Dined on 6/25/2014My husband and I love this little gem in Acton- a great bar scene, great beer selection, and well made food makes for a great date night. My only complaint is I don't find that the entrees currently offered appeal to me, but I am happy to make a meal of starters, which have all been excellent. My favorite is the hush-puppies- which I haven't had since I lived down South 15 years ago.Special Features:
- Flashes of brillianceStowfoodieDined on 6/20/2014This was my third visit to Red Raven and possibly my last. Love the atmosphere, the drink list and the roasted brussel sprouts appetizer! However our cheese fondue plate was salty and not melted enough, and despite asking for my flat iron steak frites on the 'rare' side, they still managed to overcook it. Good effort, but still some kinks to work out.Special Features:
- Mixed Brunch ReviewSweetnsavoryDined on 6/15/2014The hostess was friendly in her greeting, but when I told her I'd asked for our reservation to be at an outdoor table, she said we never reserve the deck. She was pretty negative about our chances, but I asked her to check the deck. There were, in fact, two open tables and we had our choice. Once seated, the server was very slow to come over and we had to chase him over a few times for items that weren't on the table (salt and pepper, water, ketchup for fries). The food and the view were good. The music was too loud, fine for 6pm cocktails not a Sunday brunch. I asked the server if they could change it or turn it down. after checking inside the answer was no. We would've stayed longer and ordered more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not running backHeatherLVIPDined on 6/14/2014I am admittedly disappointed in this restaurant. The location is great and the staff friendly and service-oriented. The appetizers were quite good, in fact delicious...and then...the entrees were not pleasing at all. Out of our party of 4, only one individual felt satisfied (actually liked her meal) and she had had the only sandwich/burger of the night. The fish special I tried had an unpleasant consistency and very overpowering syrupy orange flavor. Too bad. I might go back for appetizers and drinks but wouldn't return for dinner.
- great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/10/2014Great time at the Red Raven! Great food, properly prepared cocktail, and an awesome beer equal a great hidden gem for people in the area. Drinks did seem to take some time from the bar, but we were in the dining area and the bar was fairly busy. Definately worth another trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencegrotonfoodieDined on 6/8/2014Went with some friends after a concert and had a very relaxing and enjoyable meal. The service was great, the food quite yummy, and had a nice glass of bubbly to go with the meal. I have been here a number of times and it is consistently good.Special Features:
- Birthday Dinner for twoBob39Dined on 6/7/2014Service was great. Steak not as good as last time. Seemed too chewy. Very accommodating for those who split entrees. Bourbon Manhattan cocktail tasted strange. Not sure what was in it. Didn't taste alcoholic. Was too noisy inside. Had to move to the enclosed porch which was fine. Great view of the pond.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cannot wait to return!HBREVIPDined on 6/6/2014The tuna preparation is always perfect. Creative and delicious entrees. Staff is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice addition to ActonNellVIPDined on 6/3/2014The food is well prepared, attractively presented and in a nice atmosphere. I would like to see more healthy choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Who knew?!Stan2MariaDined on 6/3/2014My wife and I have been there a few times and each time we try something new. The menu is great, just enough choices to fit any mood you're in. Valentines day we had a lovely romantic dinner, recently we sat outside on the deck where it's so relaxing you'd think in the middle of the country with the trees and pond view. Everyone is very attentive to your needs, very polite, food presentation is wonderful and of course the taste! We had the escargot, like none I've ever had, my wife was in heaven after eating it. This place is a must try! Thanks Red Raven :)Special Features:
- Waitress needed more trainingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/3/2014Our waitress said she was new but was on her own and she didn't know the drink and food menu at allSpecial Features:
- We'll be backDaisyVIPDined on 5/24/2014I heard good things and was not disappointed! The decor is cozy and the service was just the right amount attentive. The live music perched above the bar was pleasant without being overbearing. There is a large cocktail list and sufficient wine list - two of us had "Bluebirds" (a kind of blueberry mojito but made with blueberry vodka) that was out of this world without being overly strong. Although the menu was a little limited, the food was excellent. This one's a keeper.Special Features:
- Just so-soJohnDined on 5/24/2014I read other reviews but had to try it for myself. Went on Sat night and when arrived I was impressed by the location and setting. In short, food was OK with an interesting menu, I had to send appetizer back because it was cold, not just warm. My Entree was good, my wife's scallops were OK. Service was unattentive, with wait staff spending more time in kitchen or prep room than with diners. Our server appeared not to like his job. By 9:30 pm they were prepping for next day and those of us left knew the night was done, even if we weren't. Likely won't return.Special Features:
- Food okay and service okaycarlyVIPDined on 5/23/2014The food was well prepared but the flavor was very okay. I would stick with the simpler things on the menu, the more complex items have very intense flavors which you may or may not like. The service was also ok, we had to get the waiters attention once or twice and it took a bit to get the initial drink order in. Great space and atmosphere and will definitely come back for the bar area which seemed dynamic and fun.I would recommend this to a friend.