The Red Onion Restaurant & Bar
1654 Route 212
Woodstock, NY 12477Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Red Onion Restaurant & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.redonionrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (845) 679-1223
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kevin Katz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Red Onion creates unique off-premise and in-house events.
A word from The Red Onion Restaurant & Bar
Serving hand-crafted cuisine for over ten years, The Red Onion is one of the Hudson Valley's most highly rated dining destinations. Located in a restored mid-19th century farmhouse just outside the historic Village of Woodstock, The Red Onion is a warm, welcoming bistro-style restaurant. In addition to the award winning food, chef/owner Kevin Katz has personally selected every wine on the list of over one hundred labels of estate grown and bottled wines. The Red Onion boasts ten wines by-the-glass and a selection of hand-made cocktails all served in elegant stemware.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
The Red Onion Restaurant & Bar - Best Restaurants in Woodstock ›
The Red Onion Restaurant & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
94 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (65)romantic (46)neighborhood gem (46)special occasion (39)great for outdoor dining (23)notable wine list (20)good for groups (16)hot spot (14)vibrant bar scene (9)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)great for lunch (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- Excellent as alwaysHurleygirlyDined on 11/24/2014We have brought friends from all over the world (Bali, Honduras, NYC) to dine here. They love the creative menu, especially the seafood entrees. Mussels, fish and chips (our friends have eaten fish and chips in Vancouver which was their all time best) and the seafood risotto are all easy to rave about. Thanks for making it easy to entertain!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!MelindaDined on 11/14/2014Service was fantastic from the moment we entered the door. Food was delicious, seating was comfortable. Very friendly atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A findTomWDined on 11/1/2014Worth traveling 30 miles for an excellent meal, vibrant menu, fine service and warm settingSpecial Features:
- A perfect birthday dinner spotamd1971Dined on 11/1/2014My mother chose The Red Onion for her birthday dinner. I had never been. Having eaten there now, I can't believe it took that long for her to bring it up. The menu is not extensive but it offers something for everyone. There is a nice mix with fish, beef, chicken, lamb and pasta. The starters are not the usual offerings. The perogies were warm and savory and I would eat them again in a minute. The steak frites were done exactly as I asked. My mother had the lamb, which she said was the best she had in many years. My sister and father both had the fish and chips, which they both enjoyed. And the wine list offers some nice choices at a reasonable price. I look forward to going back.Special Features:
- very good, but priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014food always interesting and well presented. drinks way too expensive (martini $14). service good.Special Features:
- We can't make it like thisBrooklynMagnoliaDined on 10/26/2014We love to cook, and we do a pretty good job of it. So when we go to a restaurant, we want to have dishes we don't make ourselves...and better yet, that we would find it challenging to make! Like the awesomely fluffy, tender, and perfectly balanced seafood risotto; the mussels in a lovely but not overwhelming broth; or the swordfish with pignoli and spinach...sounds easy, but this was delighfully flavorful and tender! It's a little pricey, so we don't come as often as we would otherwise, but...wow. Delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/24/2014Every time my husband and I visit Woodstock, we always set aside one night for dinner at The Red Onion and we are never disappointed. I make sure to try something different each time and love every meal I get. This visit I indulged in beef short ribs and my husband in the rack of lamb. Both meals were mouthwatering and large enough to take leftovers home for a midnight snack. I recommend this restaurant for anyone visiting the Woodstock area, you will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JohnandKathDined on 10/20/2014Enjoyable meal. Good food. Best we had in WoodstockSpecial Features:
- Great except for noise.MaryMoonDined on 10/18/2014The food was delicious. Love the restaurant. This reservation was under my ex- husband's name. But I am the one that frequents it, Mary Nevins. We loved everything about it. I'll be back, I bring anyone who visits Saugerties to the Red Onion. PS.. took a pic outside to post of FB (I'm a photographer). My friends responded, LOVED the way it looked with the fall decorations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the driveFoodDeeDined on 10/13/2014We celebrated our 1st wedding anniversary here. Grilled calamari was a unique and delicious appetizer and our meals were fantastic. Server was attentive and helpful. I loved the atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great find!macherieDined on 10/13/2014The appetizers were outstanding! We had the cured anchovies, the grilled calamari and the oysters all uniquely prepared and well-presented. The Monday mussels were plump and juicy. We will definitely return to sample the regular menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Treat you like you matter to themPauliusDined on 10/12/2014Our favorite restaurant in the area. The food is consistently tasty and exciting to experience. Not once has it been a miss. I want to mention the excellent Maitre D. He honors our table requests, even on busy nights. And he does it without being begrudging! I can't tell you how many restaurants in the area we have gone to where requests are ignored. Bravo Red Onion!Special Features:
- Four and a halfRichardDined on 10/6/2014Our best meal so far in Hudson Valley. Very nice atmosphere with exposed brick and wide plank flooring. Many good choices on the wine list and we watched the bartender whip up a number of good looking bespoke cocktails. It Was hard to choose from the excellent sounding selections from the menu but the biggest hit was the pierogi appetizer. We didn't order red meat but the lamb that was served next to us looked fabulous. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!ShokanmanDined on 9/28/2014Very nice restaurant:great atmosphere, top quality dishes (smoked trout salad and the mussels were great appetizers);and the staff all very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Oasis After a Long DayGothamDuoVIPDined on 9/27/2014The Red Onion was a perfect way to end what was a very long day. From the greeting at the door to the attention of the waiter it was a great experience. The beet salad was light and refreshing and the rack of lamb was delicious. The chicken was crispy accompanied by a ragout of vegetables including squash and asparagus. When we're back in near Woodstock, we will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Staff and foodKateDined on 9/26/2014We came from Pennsylvania for the Garlic Festival so decided to try the restaurant for dinner. The staff waiting on us were exceptional. Outstanding attention to detail, very friendly and accommodating. The food was absolutely lick your plate delicious and we would not hesitate to recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oh my goodness!bobbyVIPDined on 9/25/2014We eat out in the city on a regular basis but this restaurant puts all the others to shame.Special Features:
- Not our kind of placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014We prefer quiet dining. The food was not special, slightly expensive but also not terrible. The drinks were really expensive and not all that good. We do enjoy the Stone Ridge Inn or the Hoffman House as a special place to eat much more than the red onion. We will not return.
- Best in Woodstock AreaBrianWDined on 9/8/2014having tried several other restaurants in the area, most of which were not exceptional, we had fairly low expectations for the Red Onion. We were glad to be proved wrong. Lovely outdoor setting + great food and service made for an excellent evening. We would definitely dine here next time we are in the Catskills.Special Features:
- High Energy RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/5/2014We ate at the the Red Onion on a Friday night while visiting Woodstock. The place was nicely decorated and the host was very accommodating. Our table wasn't ready when we arrived, so we ordered a drink at the bar. I was very surprised they didn't offer any Pinot Grigio wine and my husband said they only offered a house rum that wasn't to his liking. The place is extremely LOUD, made it difficult for us have a conversation without screaming at each other. Not the romantic dinner we were hoping for, maybe week nights are quieter. Overall, the food was very good. The host was nice enough to move us to another table in a quieter area when one became available and didn't charge us for my husbands drink.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2014Too many tables too close together. Service was slow. Food was good but menu confusing; ended up getting salad and appetizers together and the table was too small to accommodate it so it was, again, uncomfortable. Overall: uncomfortable dining for the price.Special Features:
- Great experienceDrMojoDined on 8/23/2014We stayed in the Catskills for the weekend and went to a place with a great reputation on Friday night and it seemed that is all that is left. It was not what you would expect for the price or the reputation. The next night we went to the Red Onion and were very happy with the whole experience, from the service to the physical surroundings and not least the food. We highly recommend the Red Onion. And will avoid the 1st place we went to with a bear of a reputation !Special Features:
- Special Occasion2enjoytoeatDined on 8/23/2014We came to celebrate an anniversary and were seated at an intimate table, as requested, received a glass of champagne on the house and had stellar service throughout the evening. The mussels were the highlight of our meal, though all the food was delicious. Definitely will return to sample more items from the menu.Special Features:
- An Excellent ChoiceSeanDined on 8/23/2014This was a last minute choice and it was an excellent one. From the greeting at the door to the exit everything was spot on. The server was attentive even as it got busy. The food arrived in prefect sequence and was the appropriate temperature and properly cooked. Nothing was a miss. The best meal and dining experience we have had in awhile. We look forward to going back. If you go later in the evening on a weekend I recommend reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014My husband and I were spending the weekend in Woodstock and thought we'd try The Red Onion. Everything from the cocktails, to the appetizers and entrees were delicious. For dessert I had a terrific warm berry crisp with ice cream. The whole experience was great. The waitstaff was professional and the table we reserved was ready at the appointed reservation time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- There were a few proolemsTrying2BFAIRDined on 8/19/2014Wait staff and management did not know how to deal with American Express gift card which was viable for $100. Bill was 106 and change and I included $20 for tip and $6 for difference. Wound up having to use another credit card for the full amount that I did not choose to use. Did not get $6 overage back. Also thought that $16 for a Manhattan was excessive, although quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchEduardoDined on 8/16/2014Everything was fine, but the food arrived COLD. Food appears to have been served on a COLD plate or not served immediately after preparationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite when I'm in town.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/12/2014Consistently great food, drinks and wine, service, and ambiance. I love the small plates especially. The variety and ingredient quality is really excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fafardfanDined on 8/4/2014dining at the Red Onion is a must-do during our annual visit to WoodstockSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Does Not Live Up to Its ReputationFNL82Dined on 8/4/2014Ate here on a slow night. About ten minutes before our server approached for a drink order. Waited about 15 minutes for cocktail. No acknowledgement or apology for any of the delays in service during this meal. Menu was unexciting. We found nothing "new" to try with exception of a sardine appetizer. Long wait for our wine (ordered with meal) to be brought after our steaks were served. Steaks were cooked properly, but flavorless-served with average french fries-no dipping sauce-and undressed salad of greens. Flagged down waitress to ask for dressing, she brought it much later after passing our table many times. + good wine list, nice decor. - poor service, unexciting menu, long waits.Special Features:
- Some of the Best Dining in the areaHBeck7Dined on 8/4/2014A gem of a restaurant in the Woodstock NY area. The food was excellent and the menu features locally sourced ingredients. The ambiance is fitting for a romantic dinner for two or even a small group. I highly recommend this place. You will not be disappointed. We'll definitely be back during our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as AlwaysLouYumDined on 8/2/2014My wife and I had another delightful and delicious meal at the Red OnionSpecial Features:
- GR8 as usualYOHODined on 8/2/2014Always a nice staff & ambiance ( dined out on side porch ), very nice sea food appys & very nice meal. compliments to the kitchen staff. Reminiscent of the old restaurants in the area 20-30 yrs ago > all those vanished . the others still left are mediocre.Special Features:
- The following 141 reviews are from the The Red Onion Restaurant & Bar reviews archive.
- Great Food, iffy serviceWoodstockLocalDined on 7/26/2014We've eaten here many times, and the food is always delicious. However, the service is inconsistent. Most times the service is wonderful, but sometimes it is very slow and the staff seems disorganized. This past Saturday night we arrived on time for a 6pm reservation, and we did not leave until 9pm. The 3-hour dinner was not because we ordered numerous courses or were taking our time. Also, we dined outside and were eaten alive by mosquitos. If you are pressed for time, I would not recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014Fabulous food! Best in Saugerties. Interesting menu with something great for everyone.Special Features:
- AWESOME!!!RandmanDined on 7/22/2014Best food/service as any restaurant I've ever been to!!! The bread is just the [DELICIOUS] beginning!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014Very helpful server, some unique and delicious dishes (Roasted squid appetizer!). Liver is their famous dish, but it was notSpecial Features:
- Surprise in the CatskillsinwoodartDined on 7/2/2014Everything at The Red Onion was great. We all had salads, fish, and shellfish. All was perfectly cooked, seasoned, and served by an extremely friendly staff. If we are in the Woodstock area again, we will definitly go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time aroundHurleygirlyDined on 7/2/2014Dinner was even better this time as it was in February. Last time the fish & chips and the cast iron mussels were fabulous. This time the seafood risotto was to die for!!! Yes, we will be going back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red OnionfoodforthoughtDined on 7/1/2014We have been to the Red Onion a handful of times and have never been disappointed. Start with one of their great creative cocktails. Their appetizers and entrees are always fresh and exciting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.