The Red Onion Restaurant & Bar
1654 Route 212
Woodstock, NY 12477Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Red Onion Restaurant & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.redonionrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8456791223x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kevin Katz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Red Onion creates unique off-premise and in-house events.
A word from The Red Onion Restaurant & Bar
Serving hand-crafted cuisine for over ten years, The Red Onion is one of the Hudson Valley's most highly rated dining destinations. Located in a restored mid-19th century farmhouse just outside the historic Village of Woodstock, The Red Onion is a warm, welcoming bistro-style restaurant. In addition to the award winning food, chef/owner Kevin Katz has personally selected every wine on the list of over one hundred labels of estate grown and bottled wines. The Red Onion boasts ten wines by-the-glass and a selection of hand-made cocktails all served in elegant stemware.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
The Red Onion Restaurant & Bar - Best Restaurants in Woodstock ›
The Red Onion Restaurant & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
66 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (38)neighborhood gem (32)romantic (29)special occasion (27)great for outdoor dining (20)notable wine list (15)good for groups (8)hot spot (7)great for brunch (5)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Great experienceDrMojoDined on 8/23/2014We stayed in the Catskills for the weekend and went to a place with a great reputation on Friday night and it seemed that is all that is left. It was not what you would expect for the price or the reputation. The next night we went to the Red Onion and were very happy with the whole experience, from the service to the physical surroundings and not least the food. We highly recommend the Red Onion. And will avoid the 1st place we went to with a bear of a reputation !Special Features:
- Special OccasionOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014We came to celebrate an anniversary and were seated at an intimate table, as requested, received a glass of champagne on the house and had stellar service throughout the evening. The mussels were the highlight of our meal, though all the food was delicious. Definitely will return to sample more items from the menu.Special Features:
- An Excellent ChoiceSeanDined on 8/23/2014This was a last minute choice and it was an excellent one. From the greeting at the door to the exit everything was spot on. The server was attentive even as it got busy. The food arrived in prefect sequence and was the appropriate temperature and properly cooked. Nothing was a miss. The best meal and dining experience we have had in awhile. We look forward to going back. If you go later in the evening on a weekend I recommend reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014My husband and I were spending the weekend in Woodstock and thought we'd try The Red Onion. Everything from the cocktails, to the appetizers and entrees were delicious. For dessert I had a terrific warm berry crisp with ice cream. The whole experience was great. The waitstaff was professional and the table we reserved was ready at the appointed reservation time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- There were a few proolemsTrying2BFAIRDined on 8/19/2014Wait staff and management did not know how to deal with American Express gift card which was viable for $100. Bill was 106 and change and I included $20 for tip and $6 for difference. Wound up having to use another credit card for the full amount that I did not choose to use. Did not get $6 overage back. Also thought that $16 for a Manhattan was excessive, although quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchEduardoDined on 8/16/2014Everything was fine, but the food arrived COLD. Food appears to have been served on a COLD plate or not served immediately after preparationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite when I'm in town.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/12/2014Consistently great food, drinks and wine, service, and ambiance. I love the small plates especially. The variety and ingredient quality is really excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fafardfanDined on 8/4/2014dining at the Red Onion is a must-do during our annual visit to WoodstockSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Does Not Live Up to Its ReputationFNL82Dined on 8/4/2014Ate here on a slow night. About ten minutes before our server approached for a drink order. Waited about 15 minutes for cocktail. No acknowledgement or apology for any of the delays in service during this meal. Menu was unexciting. We found nothing "new" to try with exception of a sardine appetizer. Long wait for our wine (ordered with meal) to be brought after our steaks were served. Steaks were cooked properly, but flavorless-served with average french fries-no dipping sauce-and undressed salad of greens. Flagged down waitress to ask for dressing, she brought it much later after passing our table many times. + good wine list, nice decor. - poor service, unexciting menu, long waits.Special Features:
- Some of the Best Dining in the areaHBeck7Dined on 8/4/2014A gem of a restaurant in the Woodstock NY area. The food was excellent and the menu features locally sourced ingredients. The ambiance is fitting for a romantic dinner for two or even a small group. I highly recommend this place. You will not be disappointed. We'll definitely be back during our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as AlwaysLouYumDined on 8/2/2014My wife and I had another delightful and delicious meal at the Red OnionSpecial Features:
- GR8 as usualYOHODined on 8/2/2014Always a nice staff & ambiance ( dined out on side porch ), very nice sea food appys & very nice meal. compliments to the kitchen staff. Reminiscent of the old restaurants in the area 20-30 yrs ago > all those vanished . the others still left are mediocre.Special Features:
- Great Food, iffy serviceWoodstockLocalDined on 7/26/2014We've eaten here many times, and the food is always delicious. However, the service is inconsistent. Most times the service is wonderful, but sometimes it is very slow and the staff seems disorganized. This past Saturday night we arrived on time for a 6pm reservation, and we did not leave until 9pm. The 3-hour dinner was not because we ordered numerous courses or were taking our time. Also, we dined outside and were eaten alive by mosquitos. If you are pressed for time, I would not recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014Fabulous food! Best in Saugerties. Interesting menu with something great for everyone.Special Features:
- AWESOME!!!RandmanDined on 7/22/2014Best food/service as any restaurant I've ever been to!!! The bread is just the [DELICIOUS] beginning!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014Very helpful server, some unique and delicious dishes (Roasted squid appetizer!). Liver is their famous dish, but it was notSpecial Features:
- Surprise in the CatskillsinwoodartDined on 7/2/2014Everything at The Red Onion was great. We all had salads, fish, and shellfish. All was perfectly cooked, seasoned, and served by an extremely friendly staff. If we are in the Woodstock area again, we will definitly go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time aroundHurleygirlyDined on 7/2/2014Dinner was even better this time as it was in February. Last time the fish & chips and the cast iron mussels were fabulous. This time the seafood risotto was to die for!!! Yes, we will be going back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red OnionfoodforthoughtDined on 7/1/2014We have been to the Red Onion a handful of times and have never been disappointed. Start with one of their great creative cocktails. Their appetizers and entrees are always fresh and exciting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I would returnaceyduceyDined on 6/28/2014Very noisy. Great food. Parking is tough. Very noisy.Special Features:
- Dinner with friends from afarfabniteDined on 6/27/2014My two friends and I had an evening that far eoutdid our expectations. My fiends were late and altho our reservation was at 6:30 the staff were exceptionally accomodating and I felt completely comfortable having a drink by myself while waiting at our table. The service was attentive but not intrusive and the food was fabulous. We were not rushed. I have already recommended this restaurant to several friends in the Woodstock area. Thank you for a memorable night!Special Features:
- Consistently ExcellentSamTDined on 6/14/2014The food here is absolutely delicious, and stunningly presented. The ingredients are obviously very high quality and no dish has any extraneous elements. The host is somewhat snooty, but that's probably what they hired him for. Try the spicy Thai beef salad appetizer, the duck entree, and the steak frites!Special Features:
- Worth the drivebobbyVIPDined on 6/14/2014Great menu, friendly service and beautiful location. Drove up from Long Island and it was well worth it. Where else can you dine on spectacular cuisine, watch hummingbirds feed five feet from your outdoor table and then see deer walking around the parking lot when you leave? A truly great dining experience.Special Features:
- A place to rememberbluepepperDined on 6/9/2014Impeccable food, friendly and timely service in an historic gem. House made Pierogi with black truffle niuanse was artful, and The Iron Skillet Mussels were butter tender, the best fish & chips I've had since my childhood in NY's southern tier. The Arctic Char had a nice crisp exterior and melt in your mouth center. Top it off with the Affogato with hand cranked ice cream, made for a memorable anniversary dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific RestaurantniniDined on 6/8/2014We went here based on Trip Advisor reviews and couldn't have been more pleased. The restaurant is attractive, the food was outstanding and Jason, our server, was attentive and charming without being overbearing. Our food was innovative but not tricky. We would definitely return for another meal if we come back to the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always greatvisitforworkDined on 5/31/2014We have been going to The Red Onion for years and it is always a pleasure. Service is great, and the menu strikes a perfect balance of being interesting without demanding all your attention. The food and drinks never disappoint and we always leave happy.Special Features:
- epicuriosityOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014Not what I expected, -far better ! Look forward to going back whenever the opportunity arises. Tally ho !Special Features:
- JEA14VIPDined on 5/23/2014Extremely good food in a cozy, converted farm house, with impeccable service--friendly, efficient, unobtrusive; imagine upscale NYC without the attitude. Terrific seafood risotto and pasta with black ink sauce, with a delicious (and affordable) bottle of Pouilly-Fuisse. Our best dining experience in the Woodstock area (where we are regular weekenders).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch only once a year… boo too!RhodyJoJoDined on 5/11/2014The Red Onion opens for brunch just once per year, for Mother's Day. WHY???? It was so fantastic! Really impressive that the management, chef and staff can put on such a lovely, delicious brunch with so little practice! Crab cakes bennie, french toast, ham, house omelet… all so delicious, and complimentary mimosas for mums!Special Features:
- Tuesday night is wine nightmarcusDined on 5/6/2014My first dinner at Red Onion was on a Tues evening when almost all of the local restaurants are closed. Red Onion was hopping, and it is also the night that they offer a 30% discount on their interesting, and already well priced, about 2x retail, wine list. The resto has a good feel, and the service is friendly and attentive. Portions are generally large, how often do you order lamb chops and get a whole rack of lamb? However, in general, the protein was under-flavored, the vegs tasted better. The house pate was a flop, but this is common, as we aren't in France. More concerning was the lack of flavor intensity in the lamb and veal. The issue is either quality of ingredients or skill in the kitchen. Good resto, but not the best in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tasty spotmalibootyDined on 5/3/2014The food was great. So was the service we look forward to coming back soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 122 reviews are from the The Red Onion Restaurant & Bar reviews archive.
- Quality country diningRhodyJoJoDined on 4/26/2014The ambience is a rustic/country, but curiously "bustling." There's a happy feeling, a lot of conversation going on among diners. The host who greeted and sat us and our server Katie were outstanding -- both were very accommodating, attentive, always smiling. The food was very good as well, especially my bolognese and panna cotta, and my sister and mother enjoyed their sea trout. I had one tiny issue, and my sister agreed: We were turned off a little by most offerings simply because of one small ingredient or spice. It's one of "those" menus. We both worked in restaurants, so we don't like to ask the chef for alterations. And I DO cook, a lot, so I understand ingredients. Check it out before you go (but don't let it stop you from going!).Special Features:
- SirMonty0Dined on 4/18/2014Great food & drinks! Best pierogies!Always a good dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ladies WeekendJD59Dined on 4/12/2014We had a fabulous dinner at the Red Onion. The waiter was very attentive and helpful when asked for suggestions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't complainthisguyDined on 4/4/2014Food takes longer on a Friday night than a Sunday night, go figure. The food is very good, the staff is incredible, but it's their willingness to go the extra mile for a special occasion that really sets The Red Onion apart from many of the restaurants in the Hudson valleySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellentfoodie66Dined on 3/31/2014I've been to The Red Onion many times and never once been disappointed. The food is consistently excellent. The service is prefect. The ambience is warm and inviting. The one thing I'm not crazy about is the lighting. It's often too dark to read the menu. They should have little flashlights at each table. All in all, if you want great food in Woodstock, don't miss this terrific restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top Shelf Dining ExperienceDinnerGuestDined on 3/29/2014Four friends dining together, several for the first time at The Red Onion, enjoyed a delicious meal and an all-around wonderful dining experience. The menu is creative and each person ordered a different entree. Everyone enjoyed her selection and said they would like to return. We sampled appetizers, salads and main courses and each item was prepared attractively and was equally delicious. It was a busy Saturday night. We were seated in the middle of the main room and the waiters were a bit cramped for space and my chair was bumped from behind a few times but the staff was courteous and friendly. This is one of my go-to restaurants when I want to take friends out to dinner in the Woodstock, NY area.Special Features:
- Needle in a haystackOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/25/2014We enjoyed our meals very much and were so surprised how busy the restaurant was on a Tuesday night, it felt like a Saturday for the crowd that kept coming in non-stop. We will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellent, local seasonalOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/20/2014Always excellent, local seasonal foods creatively prepared. Love the red woe poached pear with lemon semifreddo dessert! Seas food risotto is delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/15/2014We couldn't have had a better night. The staff was warm and welcoming, even after we arrived late for our reservation. After describing our harrowing ride on a winding road (optional - our mistake) through sleeting rain, the host handed us 2 glasses of champagne and our stress melted away. We were nestled into a cozy corner table in the front of the restaurant by the bar, which was busy but not loud. The ochre walls w/ cool photos lend to a great vibe. The food is creative and delicious. Not pretentious, just really fine fare and an excellent wine list. We even found a favorite Pinot in a half bottle! (perfect considering we had to make that drive back). The service was attentive and highly professional. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.