The Red Lion Inn
30 Main St
Stockbridge, MA 01262Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Red Lion Inn
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.redlioninn.com/
- Phone: 4132985545x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Please note: The Main Dining Room is open daily for breakfast year-round. We serve lunch and dinner daily from mid-April through December. On Mondays and Tuesdays from January through mid-April, lunch and dinner are available in our Tavern only.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Brian J. Alberg
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: According to tradition, some of the Inn's first guests were colonial Yankees who met here in 1773 to defy King George III-with revolutionary results. Today, our fully equipped meeting rooms continue to provide quiet, distraction-free settings and modern amenities for companies, associations and non-profit groups with their own important agendas. Paired with exceptional service, renowned dining, and convenient access from the Northeast's major metropolitan areas, The Red Lion Inn offers an exceptional and refreshing choice for meetings, conferences and retreats.
- Private Party Facilities: For generations, The Red Lion Inn has helped families celebrate weddings, birthdays, anniversaries, engagements, and other special occasions with great food, exceptional service, and warm New England hospitality. Whether your event is a party for eight or a banquet for eighty, we'll be happy to help you choose a location and plan the perfect event-with menus to accommodate every style and circumstance. Contact us at the restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: Red Lion Inn Sales Department 4132981604x
- Entertainment: We offer live entertainment nightly in the Lion's Den pub, year-round and never a cover charge!
- Special Events: Celebrate your special event with great food, exceptional service and value, and warm New England hospitality. We'll be happy to help you plan the perfect event for 8 to 80 that will accommodate every style and circumstance. Contact us at (413) 298-1604.
- Cross Street: Route 7 & 102
- Public Transit: Several bus lines get folks to the Berkshires -- Peter Pan and its affiliates stop across the street from the Red Lion. There is public transportation in the Berkshires through the Berkshire Regional Transit Authority.
- Parking: Hotel Parking
- Parking Details: There is ample parking behind the Inn, but guests may also park out front (no overnight parking on Main Street in the winter!).
A word from The Red Lion Inn
Since welcoming its first guests in 1773, The Red Lion Inn has earned a reputation for outstanding food and genuine country hospitality. Those traditions are continued today by Executive Chef Brian J. Alberg, whose kitchen features contemporary cuisine that is rooted in the region's history and harvests. Emphasizing the use of fresh, local ingredients and a huge proponent of buying locally and sustaining the region, Chef Alberg regularly updates the Inn's menus to reflect the bounty of each season. Guests choose from the elegant Main Dining Room, the cozy Widow Bingham's Tavern, the casual Lion's Den pub, or, in warmer months, the flower-filled Courtyard. The wine list offers 450+ selections, and has received the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence for ten consecutive years; Sommelier Dan Thomas helps pair wines with meals. *The Inn accepts reservations for the Main Dining Room only.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Red Lion Inn - Best Restaurants in Stockbridge ›
The Red Lion Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
119 reviews since April 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (77)romantic (50)fit for foodies (35)great for lunch (33)neighborhood gem (31)notable wine list (25)good for groups (24)great for brunch (19)great for outdoor dining (16)scenic view (15)kid-friendly (11)hot spot (4)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (3)Show More
- Birthday CelebrationPucksDined on 8/20/2014We spent a few evenings at the Red Lion Inn and had dinner in the main dining room to celebrate my wife's birthday. The atmosphere, service and food were wonderful. I had the ribeye special which was presented and cooked perfectly. My wife had the vegetarian Faro based risotto which was tremendously enjoyable. The service matched the quality of the food and atmosphere. We recommend it highly.Special Features:
- red lion innOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014food was excellent,service was great,ameal to remember!Special Features:
- ExceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/19/2014The food is some of the best I've had. It's American with a very elegant flare. They also have a great wine selection- wines by the glass are actually very high quality and many have recognizable names. Wines by the bottle are reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding experienceFoodieDined on 8/15/2014Whenever we are in or near Stockbridge we make it a point to dine at the Red Lion dining room.it is the best restaurant in the Berkshires.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Berkshire gemTaletellerDined on 8/10/2014For some it is a little expensive but the food selections and service are outstanding! The warm brown sugar cake served a la mode is not to be overlooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Setting, ok foodOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 8/8/2014It is a special feeling sitting in this bit worn but nice restaurant located in the inn. We were seated promptly for a 9 pm meal with the room half full. The server recited the specials rather clumsily and thought she would have perfected this so late in the evening. We ordered Caesar salad to start which was good but not great and followed with the salmon (slightly over cooked) and the lamb (unremarkable). Had a nice bottle of wine but the server did not check back to refill our glasses. She did check back once to see how our meal was and even offered to replace the salmon which was a nice gesture. In the end, we skipped dessert and went down to the pub and listened to some great live music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Cosy TavernMrandMrsTVIPDined on 8/8/2014We arrived early for our reservation and enjoyed sitting on the porch. We were seated promptly. Had an excellent, friendly server. When we told her we live in Florida she told us that she goes to college here in Florida. The chowder was a bit bland. We ordered Caesar salad to share and were told there would be a $4 charge if it were split in the kitchen! Our entrees were very well prepared. My husband enjoyed his prime rib and my sole piccata was very good. Overall it was a good dining experience. Glad we went there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014The food was pretty good. Our server Dan was very good. I had requested 2 glasses of champagne on the table and a quiet table, as we were celebrating our anniversary. The champagne never arrived, I believe he was never told, and we were seated right next to the kitchen and listened to dirty dishes clanking most of the meal. I hate when little details are missed, anyone can prepare food, we went there for something special hoping for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- skabootchVIPDined on 8/6/2014Very impressive in all respects. Entrees of turkey and chicken were both excellent. Kudos to the bartender who remade my wife's several times to reach her satisfaction level. In fact, all the Inn's servers did an excellent job (Dorothy was very helpful). If they offer any sort of special appetizer, consider it. Our lamb risotto was the perfect size and all of us enjoyed it.Special Features:
- Great dining at a grand old innLarryDined on 8/3/2014The dining room at the Red Lion Inn is old-fashioned and comfortable serving very good food that is up-to-date in freshness and taste. We enjoyed seasonal gazpacho soup and had excellent entrees of rib-eye steak and pork tenderloin. The chocolate-cherry tart for dessert was delicious. The service made us very relaxed and we went up to our room later feeling very happy with the mountain atmosphere, the ambience and the service at this grand old inn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely old innNinaLDined on 8/3/2014This delightful old inn has managed to keep its ambience and service intact over many years. The food is well prepared and served, not exciting, but always delicious, with ample portions. An elegant space for a meal at any time of the day. The Chicken Pot Pie was a great success with this family group, and the apple pie was delicious. The food is local and of high quality, and the ambience should be bottled!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never Disappoints!CTCommuterDined on 8/2/2014The Red Lion Inn is a special place!! Every trip to the Berkshires must include a stop here and we are never sorry! Menu offerings were fresh and tasty! And food was served promptly, but no rushing.Special Features:
- Red Lion InnwineanddineDined on 7/25/2014Great prime rib, and a quaint setting. We enjoyed a leisurely dinner here while vacationing in the Berkshires.Special Features:
- Gentile and deliciousGerryDined on 7/24/2014This was our second visit to the Main Dining Room. We brought another member of the family who enjoyed the luncheon and the gentile atmosphere we associate with the Red Lion Inn. It was a treat and we will return when we are in the area once again.Special Features:
- Lots of old New England charmOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/20/2014The Red Lion Inn has lots of old New England charm but we were disappointed with the quality of the food. The prices are high and yet we found the food to be just average. We are glad we experienced this Stockbridge treasure but would probably make another dining choice next time.Special Features:
- Historic gemLuv2travelDined on 7/20/2014Red Lion has been the Grande Dame of the Bershires for decades, and Tanglewood is only a few miles away. The food was excellent and the service attentive. The ambiance is quite dated and lacks the charm this old hotel deserves. However choices are limited in the Bershires and we were delighted the food was superb. The outdoor patio serves the same menu at lunch, and is surrounded by colorful plantings. Next trip, we'll dine outdoors, under the shade of the umbrellas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amateur service. Highly Overratedoperalover212VIPDined on 7/20/2014We decided to have lunch here prior to a Tanglewood concert. We sat at a tiny table with a buzzing fly. The worst part was the waitress who rushed us from the very start. The white wine was not chilled, and the soup and entree were served at the same time. She gave us those ugly metal covers to "keep the food hot.". My husband gulped down his soup, but his main meal was tepid as was mine. The food was bland and unremarkanle. The maite'd rushed in to help, but that did not change the fact that a restaurant with such a reputation should have a better trained wait staff. We poured our own wine because she was nowhere in sight. The dining room was not crowded so we could not understand why we were so rushed and then ignored.Stay away!
- In a word... wonderfulwmw322VIPDined on 7/19/2014It's been more then 2 decades since I've eaten here. It is better than I remember. Gracious hostess & host. Fantastic seamless service. Ronny was our server supreme. Gave us fantastic service despite how very busy this huge dining room was. Great cosmos and we recommend the Red Lion Inn Chardoney. The salads were small and uninspired but the turkey and chicken entrees were superb. Great chabada bread served. The cappuccino was served perfectly piping hot. I won't wait 2 more decades to return. Hi kudos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CharmingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/19/2014Nice place in the Red Lion Inn. Good food and attentive/friendly staff. Loved the cippino stew - Great apple pie to end the dinner!Special Features:
- A ClassicLindaCDined on 7/17/2014If you want classic American food, beautifully prepared with fresh, local ingredients, this is the place for you. The roast native turkey was the best I'd ever had anywhere - succulent and tender, accompanied by creamy, fluffy mashed potatoes, which also came with my husband's excellent prime rib. The lemon tart should be a controlled substance, and the warm brown sugar cake was every bit as moist and delicious as that sounds. Did I mention the mashed potatoes? Service was attentive and cheerful. An excellent meal in a lovely, quiet place, with surprisingly reasonable prices given the high quality of the experience.Special Features:
- wonderful dinninggrannienannienj63Dined on 7/17/2014My husband and I celebrated our 41 anniversary at the Inn with dinner there. Just wonderful. Service was exceptional, our server was attentive, helpful and friendly. Thefood was tasty and wine list can meet every taste. We had the signature turkey dinner and were as pleased as always. Hot apple pie had a crunchy crust that gave extra spice with the warm apples. Cannot wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurantcookief18Dined on 7/16/2014The prices are on the high side, but for a special occasion it was worth it. The service and the food were outstanding and the hotel dining room provides a unique experience, surrounded by history as you enjoy your meal.Special Features:
- Lovely lunchljbarDined on 7/15/2014Old time charm. Restaurant has a lot if character. Food was deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the place, not the foodbibawasbestDined on 7/13/2014As historic as it gets in New England! Lovely setting and classic colonial decor. Young but eager service. The food is slightly updated from the 18th century (!) and it's perfectly fine, but is not a gourmet experience and I suppose it is not supposed to be. Not a lot of flavor but big portions and very pleasant ambience.Special Features:
- Pre-Tanglewood LunchNPinBerkshiresDined on 7/6/2014There are many fine restaurants closer to Tanglewood, but we wanted to have a reserved table for lunch with friends before the Sunday 2:30 concert. The menu was not particularly innovative, but the food was better than I had anticipated: real turkey sliced from a roast in the sandwich two of us ordered; an interesting chicken pot pie, with the chicken stew poured atop a puff pastry, rather than baked in; and a nice lobster salad roll, which, like the turkey sandwich, could be (and was) had on excellent multigrain bread instead of a hot dog roll. The waiter was very accommodating; when one of our party complained that the $24 lobster roll had way too little lobster salad, the waiter brought an additional large serving.Special Features:
- A Classic Dining ExperienceFoodieVIPDined on 7/5/2014This place must be 100+ years old, but is still in great shape and has all of the elements for success. Charming, well trained service and very good food quality at reasonable prices. Inside seating is semi-formal, but the patio is very casual during warm weather days. They even have an old world pub and "Lion's Den" bar tucked away in the basement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful experiencecountrygirlDined on 7/5/2014We had a wonderful dinner Saturday evening to celebrate our anniversary. We were seated promptly in the main dining room and in a fairly quiet location, as requested. Our waitress did not seem shocked that we were not ordering wine, and she very graciously answered all our questions on the selections. Everything was delicious, and arrived at a pleasant pace. The inn is really a feast for the eyes. Just strolling to the ladies room was a cultural experience, with the live piano player in the spacious lobby, the resident cat and the amazing collection of antiques, there is so much history in one place. After we finished dinner, our gracious waitress beckoned us to see the tavern, and opened the door to the very loud Lion's Den.Special Features:
- A classicPhillyAmyDined on 7/5/2014Red Lion Inn is a Berkshire tradition. You'll get good service and good food, in a "quasi-colonial" setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/5/2014Food good but high priced for the quality. Went because of its reputation but there might be better choices in town. Hotel is dated.Special Features:
- Top-notch serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/3/2014Always have lunch here when visiting Stockbridge for the day. Great atmosphere, very good food and top-notch service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continues to be a Special place5centsDined on 7/2/2014My wife and I returned to the Red Lion Inn for our 25th wedding anniversary. We had been there for part of our honeymoon week, and wanted to return when we arranged to see a concert at Tanglewood nearby. A meal in the main dining room was a must, and we were not disappointed. The food was excellent. The waiter acknowledged our anniversary and the service was also excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYgirlUpstateNY50Dined on 6/25/2014I meet my friend every month, we drive over an hour to meet, we sit on the porch or in the living room and chat for two hours before noon. Then we have a window seat and sit for another hour and a half. We love the seasonal menu, fresh local foods, delicious cheese plate, marvelous fresh desserts and attentive service.Special Features:
- Never disappointsSmareDined on 6/22/2014There's a reason why we keep coming back to the Red Lion. The food is great, the service impeccable and the ambience is unique. Plus so many gorgeous antiques. Unusual, beautiful things to see everywhere. Fresh flowers on every table & in every room. Always a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red LionRobertDined on 6/21/2014Delicious! It was the perfect spot for my mother-in-laws' 75th birthday! And the front porch was difficult to leave- gorgeous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A tradition of successJoePVIPDined on 6/15/2014The Red Lion Inn is a "must experience". The service and attention to detail are unmatched. The 1700's atmosphere is real, authentic, classic. Yet above all, their chef prepares a magnificent meal. A tradition of excellence! We will return again and encourage you to do the same.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good but TOO EXPENSIVEcutes1125VIPDined on 6/14/2014the smoked duck was delicious and simply melts in your mouth. the lamb london broil was cooked perfectly ordered (medium side) but the kale greens was over cooked and heavy on the salt. the prime rib is nothing to rave about and under seasoned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch in StockbridgeGaryDined on 6/11/2014My wife and I planned a trip to Stockbridge and we made a reservation for a Wednesday lunch. We did not wait long for our table though we were early. Our waiter was courteous and prompt. Our meals were excellent. I had the fried haddock and my wife had grilled salmon over greens. Both were tasty and the portion sizes were perfect that left room for desert. I had the lemon sorbet which was just right, not too tart but not bland. Will definitely go back there when in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High Priced Disappointmentluv2dineelsewhereDined on 6/7/2014We had to wait 1 hour and 15 minutes for our order to be served. Had to ask for bread after sitting for 1 hour. Ordered medium rare fillet mignon but received medium well. Mary Anne's medium prime rib was too tough to chew and she left half of it. Our guest's lamb dish had only 4 small slices.
- quaintIluvfoodVIPDined on 6/1/2014It was a beautiful day but we opted to sit inside to get the full Red Lion Inn experience. Our server was friendly and the service was very good. We were expecting more of a brunch menu, but enjoyed having a heavier lunch. Our dishes were very good, and their salad dressing is memorable. Would definitely go back on future Berkshire trips.Special Features:
- Lunch in the Dining RoomPASQUALEDined on 6/1/2014We had a party of five and had lunch in the Dining Room, as my Mom wanted to eat in that room. It wasn't a full dining room, as there were a lot of empty tables. The décor was nice, but not five star. The lunch selections were quite expensive for what you got and we all agreed, just o.k. Our son had pasta and it wasn't cooked, he said it was still hard. We didn't send it back, but thought that is one of the easiest things to cook and were disappointed for him. Overall, if we came back, would probably try the tavern instead. It was a beautiful day and we still enjoyed the time at the Red Lion Inn.Special Features: