The Red Lion Inn
30 Main St
Stockbridge, MA 01262Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Red Lion Inn
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.redlioninn.com/
- Phone: 4132985545x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Please note: The Main Dining Room is open daily for breakfast year-round. We serve lunch and dinner daily from mid-April through December. On Mondays and Tuesdays from January through mid-April, lunch and dinner are available in our Tavern only.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Brian J. Alberg
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: According to tradition, some of the Inn's first guests were colonial Yankees who met here in 1773 to defy King George III-with revolutionary results. Today, our fully equipped meeting rooms continue to provide quiet, distraction-free settings and modern amenities for companies, associations and non-profit groups with their own important agendas. Paired with exceptional service, renowned dining, and convenient access from the Northeast's major metropolitan areas, The Red Lion Inn offers an exceptional and refreshing choice for meetings, conferences and retreats.
- Private Party Facilities: For generations, The Red Lion Inn has helped families celebrate weddings, birthdays, anniversaries, engagements, and other special occasions with great food, exceptional service, and warm New England hospitality. Whether your event is a party for eight or a banquet for eighty, we'll be happy to help you choose a location and plan the perfect event-with menus to accommodate every style and circumstance. Contact us at the restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: Red Lion Inn Sales Department 4132981604x
- Entertainment: We offer live entertainment nightly in the Lion's Den pub, year-round and never a cover charge!
- Special Events: Celebrate your special event with great food, exceptional service and value, and warm New England hospitality. We'll be happy to help you plan the perfect event for 8 to 80 that will accommodate every style and circumstance. Contact us at (413) 298-1604.
- Cross Street: Route 7 & 102
- Public Transit: Several bus lines get folks to the Berkshires -- Peter Pan and its affiliates stop across the street from the Red Lion. There is public transportation in the Berkshires through the Berkshire Regional Transit Authority.
- Parking: Hotel Parking
- Parking Details: There is ample parking behind the Inn, but guests may also park out front (no overnight parking on Main Street in the winter!).
A word from The Red Lion Inn
Since welcoming its first guests in 1773, The Red Lion Inn has earned a reputation for outstanding food and genuine country hospitality. Those traditions are continued today by Executive Chef Brian J. Alberg, whose kitchen features contemporary cuisine that is rooted in the region's history and harvests. Emphasizing the use of fresh, local ingredients and a huge proponent of buying locally and sustaining the region, Chef Alberg regularly updates the Inn's menus to reflect the bounty of each season. Guests choose from the elegant Main Dining Room, the cozy Widow Bingham's Tavern, the casual Lion's Den pub, or, in warmer months, the flower-filled Courtyard. The wine list offers 450+ selections, and has received the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence for ten consecutive years; Sommelier Dan Thomas helps pair wines with meals. *The Inn accepts reservations for the Main Dining Room only.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
The Red Lion Inn - Best Restaurants in Stockbridge ›
The Red Lion Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
149 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (94)romantic (66)fit for foodies (47)great for lunch (46)neighborhood gem (42)good for groups (33)notable wine list (28)great for brunch (24)scenic view (19)great for outdoor dining (14)kid-friendly (11)hot spot (9)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (3)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014I was expecting something a little better the food was good but not excellentSpecial Features:
- Renewing an old innJerryKDined on 10/18/2014Red Lion Inn was, in my past experience, historic, a bit formal, decent food, and a place to take visitors for the experience. It wasn't a place to go back to because of the food. I was there this past weekend with three friends, and the place is more vibrant, less formal (a relaxed dress code), a nice menu, excellent service, and a well prepared meal. All four of us thoroughly enjoyed the meal as well as the experience. We also had different choices for wine, and so the "by-the-glass" option was best, and the choices available to us were all very good. All in all it was a far better meal than I anticipated, while being as good an experience for my friends and myself as I expected.
- AMAZINGOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/18/2014The Red Lion Inn is a favorite and never disappoints. The attentive staff, delicious food and great ambiance makes each visit there memorable. I recommend it to all!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Lunch with my college roommate was wonderful. We always visit the Red Lion Inn every year in the fall. Our waiter, Timothy, was outstanding and did a good job . Food was delicious. It was nice to be able to book our reservation online instead of waiting for a table. We will be back next fall if not sooner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2014Wonderful place to eat good food in a historic location.Special Features:
- Historic, Romantic, QuietOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Spent our 40th wedding Anniversary here for lunch. The weather was a perfect 10, capped by an outstanding lunch at the Red Lion. Nice and quiet, great service, great food, a bit of history, the glorious mountains; what more could you ask for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious FoodNurseLynnDined on 10/13/2014The house chopped salad was delicious as well as the roasted Native turkey dinner! My husband had the Grilled Creekstone filet served with roasted potatoes and asparagus which was great as well. For dessert I highly recommend the warm brown sugar cake!Special Features:
- The Red Lion Innlove2eatoutDined on 10/11/2014this was a great experience. Not the type of place that we usually go to but had a gift card. It was different and unique. We really enjoyed the food and service was excellent. Was very busy so reservations was a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not all that!JotiniDined on 10/10/2014I really don't see what the big fuss is abou the Red Lion Inn. The main dining room is drab and dark. We were seated next to the waiter's station and had to deal with the noise of clinking dishes and glasses throughout our meal. I will say my appetizer was excellent -- roasted mushroom and asparagus tart. Neither my husband or I enoyed our entrees -- mine was hardly touched. The only good thing about our meal was the great personality of our waitress. Save your money and go to Frankie's Italian Restaurant in Lenox or to Chez Nous in Lee.
- Very enjoyable and fine foodFoodFriendDined on 10/8/2014During a short stay in Red Lion Inn, we enjoyed a fine evening meal in the atmospheric dining room of the main dining room of the hotel. The food was well-prepared and the service was exceptionally friendly and professional.Special Features:
- BrandyDined on 10/8/2014Our Group enjoed their first experience in Stockbridge and especially The Red Lion Inn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little to Roar at the Red LionDrKdinesDined on 10/8/2014We have dined at the Red Lion often for over 35 years. On our last visit we were disappointed. A crowded dining room resulted a long wait to be served and tended. The dining room manager brought water and bread. The turkey pot pie waswas basically turkey and gravy.The manager was quite willing to have us order another selection and comped dessert. As we did not want to extend lunch, we declined the offer. We will think twice about driving three hours to visit the inn in the future,Special Features:
- LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014I had lunch here with my girlfriend and I had the turkey dinner and she had the turkey sandwich. It tasted like a mass produced meal, no taste. We left very unsatisfied. The waitress was very inattentive. Attitude was just hurry up and order and move on. Neither one of us will eat here again.
- 20th AnniversaryAnniversaryDined on 10/5/2014Eric , our waiter , was superb in his attention to detail and making our special day memorable. The food was of the highest standard. It made our day complete.Special Features:
- Autumn Place To LunchTEAMMACRIDined on 10/4/2014After a leisurely drive up Route 22, beginning in Westchester County NY, we are excited at the prospect of lunching at the famed Red Lion Inn of Stockbridge, MA. For the better part of the three hours, winding through the countryside, we have been witness to one of natures most spectacularly colorful events; Autumn in New England. Not to be upstaged, (not even by mother nature herself), the stewards of this centuries old Inn have adorned the walkway, leading to the main entrance stairs, with a montage of seasonal vegetables, including two pumpkins; each larger than my first car; an orange 1968 Volkswagen Beetle! Brass tacks time: Service-None better, thanks Duncan! Food-Very good, N. E. Clam Chowder-Best Ever! Value$-Excellent!Special Features:
- Nice lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014Had lunch on Friday Oct.3 in main dining room with a friend that I had not seen in several years. Food was very good and we told server, Tim, we were not in a hurry. Dining room was busy, but we had a very nice lunch because we were not rushed.Special Features:
- Meat BallsTerraquadDined on 9/28/2014The pork meat balls on the lunch menue are the best.Special Features:
- Special occasion diningDrCharlieDined on 9/25/2014Superb quality and presentation of entrees. Halibut was the best I've had.Companion had turkey that was marvelous with exquisite mashed potatoes. Shared lemon tart was delicious. We've celebrated here many times and have always been pleased. Breakfast was equally elegant!Special Features:
- Red lion innOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014We have been there several times and always enjoy it all the dishes are wonderful and the service excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Put it on your bucket listTwigDined on 9/21/2014My wife and I have eaten here for dinner about 5 times in the last couple years. It's not cheap, but not crazy expensive either. Every meal we have had has been memorable. It is an authentic old Inn. The staff is extremely friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. Main dining room is quiet, formal and romantic, down to details like small floral arrangements on every table. We have not eaten in the tavern, which is more casual. We have eaten in the courtyard when the weather is nice. The courtyard is casual and relaxed. Have a drink on the porch or one of the small rooms off the lobby before dinner and really get the feeling of an old Inn. After dinner you can stop in the Lions Den and listen to live music and have another drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic old hotelKathyDined on 9/20/2014Dining in classic old New England hotel. Walls are decorated flower wallpaper. Shelves hold quite a teapot collection Food just okay. Lots fish on menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Host didn't have our reservationGreensDined on 9/10/2014We arrived here at our appointed time on the correct date and the host couldn't find our name on the reservation list. He ended up seating us near a cold drafty window in a back room. We could look out and see the nice chandeliers in the main dining area but ours had plain lights and we were sat near the service station and service entrance. The wait staff started getting a bit slap happy towards the end of our meal and hooped and hollered into the kitchen. The host also added insult to injury and asked us about three times whether we wanted to eat in the main dining room or the tavern despite the fact that we were all dressed up for the main dining area. We would have been way over dressed for the tavern. Next time we won't bother.Special Features:
- Good as AlwaysnycatpeopleDined on 9/10/2014We've been eating at The Red Lion Inn for years. We live in upstate NY, so we meet relatives from MA for lunch there as it is half way for each of us. The food, service, and atmosphere are just great; we highly recommend it. However, as cat people we're always disappointed if we don't get to see the Inn cat!Special Features:
- Average RestaurantKSaxVIPDined on 8/30/2014We ate at Red Lion over Labor Day Weekend. We ate outdoors, as the indoors is a more stuffy atmosphere. Same menu. Food was good. NOT WOW. the chocolate dessert was the best part of the meal. Service was professional. Prices are high- comparable to NYC. We are happy we tried it, but likely would not return. Tip- if you eat outdoors- be prepared for mosquito bites.
- 60th Birthday lunchblondieDined on 8/26/2014The food was outstanding. Two of us had the turkey sandwich and one had the turkey dinner. It tasted great. Plenty of it. The soups had a great taste and plenty of it. The service was also outstanding. Very attentive and our server new the menu frontwards and backwards. The tip was prefigured for 18% and 20% which made the paying easier. We had a great time and will come back. We have suggested to our friends to come and visit the Red Lion Inn.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014We enjoyed the whole experience from start to finish.Special Features:
- Classic old world inn diningKH41Dined on 8/25/2014This was our first time in Stockbridge and felt that our journey would not be complete without a visit to the Red Lion, which is one of the last remaining classical old world inn's for dining. And we were celebrating a special occasion so it seemed a good choice. The food was classic - well prepared and stellar service plus affordable fine wines - however we should have dined later than 6:30 as the entire restaurant was treated to a family that consisted of two young active children (both under the ages of 7) seated almost dead center - whose parents kept them occupied with buttered rolls and cartoons on an ipad - However our server was very pleasant and helpful and we enjoyed the antiques and classic décor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunch at the lioneddietreatsDined on 8/24/2014this was our first but not our last meal here everything was cooked to perfection and the service was very niceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Newer food in an older venueCallistoVIPDined on 8/24/2014The historic Red Lion is a wonderful landmark and luckily it does not fall into the trap of serving only the more "regular" "comfort" food that one comes across in such places. We enjoyed our lunch - both had the thin-crusted pizza special with feta and sun-dried tomatoes - but we were each tempted by several other options as well. The younger waitstaff was good, albeit not overwhelmingly gracious/attentive.
- Birthday CelebrationPucksDined on 8/20/2014We spent a few evenings at the Red Lion Inn and had dinner in the main dining room to celebrate my wife's birthday. The atmosphere, service and food were wonderful. I had the ribeye special which was presented and cooked perfectly. My wife had the vegetarian Faro based risotto which was tremendously enjoyable. The service matched the quality of the food and atmosphere. We recommend it highly.Special Features:
- Not really disappointed, but.......OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014It was OK. Not terrible but not that great. Expecting a lot more.Special Features:
- Bit of a DisappointmentFoodFanaticVIPDined on 8/20/2014We had lunch at the Red Lion in the main dining room on a Wednesday afternoon. There were five of us and we had reserved a table in advance. I made the reservation and noticed the "dress code" on the web page for The Red Lion, and so warned my companions that business casual would be required. It was disappointing to see that the dress code was not enforced: shorts, jeans, flip flops, and T shirts all managed to gain entry. The clam chowder was delicious, if a bit thin on clams or other potato. I had the fish and chips and have to say I was disappointed. The beer batter was flat rather than being puffy, and the fish (haddock) was very much over cooked. The fries were ok. Others in my group seemed to like their lunches; no raves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- red lion innOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014food was excellent,service was great,ameal to remember!Special Features:
- ExceptionalLolaSVIPDined on 8/19/2014The food is some of the best I've had. It's American with a very elegant flare. They also have a great wine selection- wines by the glass are actually very high quality and many have recognizable names. Wines by the bottle are reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Refined!BobbyVIPDined on 8/17/2014The Red Lion Inn is perfect dining destination if you seek true New England hospitality. The lovely colonial atmosphere and menu will sooth your soul. The young-ish staff working the summer shifts are probably on school break, but they are exceedingly polite and well trained. This was our second visit for lunch before a summer musical performance at Tanglewood. With limited time we enjoyed a leisurely meal. With more time on our hands we plan to drop in for dinner next, because that menu looks so much more tempting than the very nice lunch menu. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- outstanding experienceFoodieDined on 8/15/2014Whenever we are in or near Stockbridge we make it a point to dine at the Red Lion dining room.it is the best restaurant in the Berkshires.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cannot live by reputation aloneLopapDined on 8/13/2014Nasty waitress and horrible food. Medium prime rib served overly well done with dried out hard as rock popover. When I expressed concern about the overcooked meat, I was told it was the last slice left and if I didn't like it I could have the turkey. Tried to eat the meal but it was inedible. When surly, disinterested waitress came to clear, I told her the meal was inedible and she snarked because I had eaten a couple bites, "we don't normally give money back when you eat the meal." I had two bites of meat and one bite of popover to try to eat it, yuk! She said she'd give me a free dessert, but a $7 dessert really doesn't cover a $34 dinner. Worn out atmosphere, worn out waitstaff, worn out food. Disappointing all the way around.
- A Berkshire gemTaletellerDined on 8/10/2014For some it is a little expensive but the food selections and service are outstanding! The warm brown sugar cake served a la mode is not to be overlooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Setting, ok foodOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 8/8/2014It is a special feeling sitting in this bit worn but nice restaurant located in the inn. We were seated promptly for a 9 pm meal with the room half full. The server recited the specials rather clumsily and thought she would have perfected this so late in the evening. We ordered Caesar salad to start which was good but not great and followed with the salmon (slightly over cooked) and the lamb (unremarkable). Had a nice bottle of wine but the server did not check back to refill our glasses. She did check back once to see how our meal was and even offered to replace the salmon which was a nice gesture. In the end, we skipped dessert and went down to the pub and listened to some great live music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Cosy TavernMrandMrsTVIPDined on 8/8/2014We arrived early for our reservation and enjoyed sitting on the porch. We were seated promptly. Had an excellent, friendly server. When we told her we live in Florida she told us that she goes to college here in Florida. The chowder was a bit bland. We ordered Caesar salad to share and were told there would be a $4 charge if it were split in the kitchen! Our entrees were very well prepared. My husband enjoyed his prime rib and my sole piccata was very good. Overall it was a good dining experience. Glad we went there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.