The Red Lion Inn
30 Main St
Stockbridge, MA 01262Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Red Lion Inn
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.redlioninn.com/
- Phone: (413) 298-5545
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Please note: The Main Dining Room is open daily for breakfast year-round. We serve lunch and dinner daily from mid-April through December. On Mondays and Tuesdays from January through mid-April, lunch and dinner are available in our Tavern only.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Brian J. Alberg
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: According to tradition, some of the Inn's first guests were colonial Yankees who met here in 1773 to defy King George III-with revolutionary results. Today, our fully equipped meeting rooms continue to provide quiet, distraction-free settings and modern amenities for companies, associations and non-profit groups with their own important agendas. Paired with exceptional service, renowned dining, and convenient access from the Northeast's major metropolitan areas, The Red Lion Inn offers an exceptional and refreshing choice for meetings, conferences and retreats.
- Private Party Facilities: For generations, The Red Lion Inn has helped families celebrate weddings, birthdays, anniversaries, engagements, and other special occasions with great food, exceptional service, and warm New England hospitality. Whether your event is a party for eight or a banquet for eighty, we'll be happy to help you choose a location and plan the perfect event-with menus to accommodate every style and circumstance. Contact us at the restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: Red Lion Inn Sales Department 4132981604x
- Entertainment: We offer live entertainment nightly in the Lion's Den pub, year-round and never a cover charge!
- Special Events: Celebrate your special event with great food, exceptional service and value, and warm New England hospitality. We'll be happy to help you plan the perfect event for 8 to 80 that will accommodate every style and circumstance. Contact us at (413) 298-1604.
- Cross Street: Route 7 & 102
- Public Transit: Several bus lines get folks to the Berkshires -- Peter Pan and its affiliates stop across the street from the Red Lion. There is public transportation in the Berkshires through the Berkshire Regional Transit Authority.
- Parking: Hotel Parking
- Parking Details: There is ample parking behind the Inn, but guests may also park out front (no overnight parking on Main Street in the winter!).
A word from The Red Lion Inn
Since welcoming its first guests in 1773, The Red Lion Inn has earned a reputation for outstanding food and genuine country hospitality. Those traditions are continued today by Executive Chef Brian J. Alberg, whose kitchen features contemporary cuisine that is rooted in the region's history and harvests. Emphasizing the use of fresh, local ingredients and a huge proponent of buying locally and sustaining the region, Chef Alberg regularly updates the Inn's menus to reflect the bounty of each season. Guests choose from the elegant Main Dining Room, the cozy Widow Bingham's Tavern, the casual Lion's Den pub, or, in warmer months, the flower-filled Courtyard. The wine list offers 450+ selections, and has received the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence for ten consecutive years; Sommelier Dan Thomas helps pair wines with meals. *The Inn accepts reservations for the Main Dining Room only.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
The Red Lion Inn - Best Restaurants in Stockbridge ›
The Red Lion Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
131 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (94)romantic (61)fit for foodies (45)neighborhood gem (40)great for lunch (39)good for groups (32)notable wine list (26)great for brunch (22)scenic view (18)kid-friendly (9)great for outdoor dining (9)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (3)Show More
- Red LionRobertDined on 6/21/2014Delicious! It was the perfect spot for my mother-in-laws' 75th birthday! And the front porch was difficult to leave- gorgeous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A tradition of successJoePVIPDined on 6/15/2014The Red Lion Inn is a "must experience". The service and attention to detail are unmatched. The 1700's atmosphere is real, authentic, classic. Yet above all, their chef prepares a magnificent meal. A tradition of excellence! We will return again and encourage you to do the same.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good but TOO EXPENSIVEcutes1125VIPDined on 6/14/2014the smoked duck was delicious and simply melts in your mouth. the lamb london broil was cooked perfectly ordered (medium side) but the kale greens was over cooked and heavy on the salt. the prime rib is nothing to rave about and under seasoned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch in StockbridgeGaryDined on 6/11/2014My wife and I planned a trip to Stockbridge and we made a reservation for a Wednesday lunch. We did not wait long for our table though we were early. Our waiter was courteous and prompt. Our meals were excellent. I had the fried haddock and my wife had grilled salmon over greens. Both were tasty and the portion sizes were perfect that left room for desert. I had the lemon sorbet which was just right, not too tart but not bland. Will definitely go back there when in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High Priced Disappointmentluv2dineelsewhereDined on 6/7/2014We had to wait 1 hour and 15 minutes for our order to be served. Had to ask for bread after sitting for 1 hour. Ordered medium rare fillet mignon but received medium well. Mary Anne's medium prime rib was too tough to chew and she left half of it. Our guest's lamb dish had only 4 small slices.
- quaintIluvfoodVIPDined on 6/1/2014It was a beautiful day but we opted to sit inside to get the full Red Lion Inn experience. Our server was friendly and the service was very good. We were expecting more of a brunch menu, but enjoyed having a heavier lunch. Our dishes were very good, and their salad dressing is memorable. Would definitely go back on future Berkshire trips.Special Features:
- Lunch in the Dining RoomPASQUALEDined on 6/1/2014We had a party of five and had lunch in the Dining Room, as my Mom wanted to eat in that room. It wasn't a full dining room, as there were a lot of empty tables. The décor was nice, but not five star. The lunch selections were quite expensive for what you got and we all agreed, just o.k. Our son had pasta and it wasn't cooked, he said it was still hard. We didn't send it back, but thought that is one of the easiest things to cook and were disappointed for him. Overall, if we came back, would probably try the tavern instead. It was a beautiful day and we still enjoyed the time at the Red Lion Inn.Special Features:
- Ate and Made to RunOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014i have been to the Red Lion before. the food is good tho' i feel the lunch menu is a bit pricey. but it has charm and atmosphere. and it is well situated for our group of 8 to rendezvous from NY and Mass. usually we are pleased with the service but on our latest visit, we had a waiter who seemed stiff and inexperienced. and when we were finished and wanted to linger, he was too eager to get us out even tho' there was no need for the table and serving had stopped for lunch. at the Red Lion there is a long break in the dining room between lunch and dinner. we felt insulted when he started with the carpet sweeper under our chairs when we were still sitting in them! maybe it's time to find somewhere else in the area for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/26/2014It had been several years since I had dinner at the Inn. The food was disappointing. The beat salad appetizer was good but the other appetizer we got - like a mini pizza - was too salty. The cod entrée I got was greasy and the other entrée was average. The food should be much better for the price. I will stick to having breakfast at the Inn which I normally do - I will not have dinner there until they bring their standards up.Special Features:
- UnhappyCommissionerDined on 5/25/2014I cannot adequately review the Red Lion Inn. I was most disappointed with the unsympathetic and unpleasant hostess, when I arrived. What should have been a 3 hour drive took 5 hours. when we arrived at 9:10, the hostess refused to seat us. To say that I was unhappy is an understatement. Since I could have made a 9:00 reservation at the time I chose to make an 8:30 reservation, the failure to accommodate us, was disgraceful.
- elegant and expensive dinnerluvgoodfoodDined on 5/23/2014Elegant dining in pretty surroundings. The food was very good and everyone enjoyed what they ate. Be prepared for an expensive meal. The prices are not cheap. But it's elegant and worth it. The service was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/23/2014a decent choice in Berkshires bot do not expect NY quality of food; fantastic old inn, nice service, but the food is not up to the expectatiosSpecial Features:
- Happy20Dined on 5/23/2014We celebrated our 20th Anniversary at the Red Lion Inn main dining room. The food was wonderful! Very pricey, but it was a special occasion. We sat on the front porch for a while after. Very relaxing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!Sunni1206Dined on 5/17/2014They just don't make like this anymore! Beautiful Inn, great food. Just a beautiful destination, love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yumyumDined on 5/13/2014Though I felt like I stepped back in time, the meals ( we had dinner and breakfast in the dining room) the food was delicious by today's standards. The perfect serving size of delicious food, presentation wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DSTER2GODined on 5/10/2014Everyone should dine here at least once in their lifetime to know what fine dining is like!Special Features:
- Wonderful Mother's Day surprise!LadyBDined on 5/10/2014My two daughter's took me here for Mother's Day and it was the Best! Wonderful elegant decor, fantastic food, great service! It is located in one of my favorite nostalgic towns, Stockbridge, MA. The Red Lion Inn has been here for a very long time , with good reason . You won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Special Occasion LunchEmmaDined on 5/8/2014Met my elderly parents for an early Mother's Day Lunch. Waiter Ronnie did a fantastic job recommending perfect and beautifully matched main corse and dessert for his no lactose no gluten dietary needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special lunchExceptionalDined on 4/25/2014We always have a wonderful, special, and classy lunch when we go to the Red Lion Inn! We enjoy it tremendously, and you get the royal treatment from everyone.Special Features:
- Good, not greatSNYdinerDined on 4/19/2014This review is for the main dining room. Overall, it was a good dinner. The menu is not particularly exciting, just classic American food. Service is a little more casual than I would have liked, but pleasant.Special Features:
- DSTER2GODined on 4/18/2014IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR GREAT FOOD FROM LOCAL FARMS IN A HISTORIC INN WITH FABULOUS OPTIONS--THIS IS YOUR SPOT!Special Features:
- Excellent foodGeorgeDined on 4/11/2014Very impressed with the food I would compare this to the Capitol grille or the Ruth Chris of the berkshires. Excellent foot creatively prepared and still very home style comfort food. If you have the money it's worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ServiceDorothyDined on 4/6/2014The Red Lion Inn is a special treat for special occasions. Outstanding service and always good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing few hoursOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/28/2014I met friends from other towns for lunch on a recent Friday. The food was good, prices reasonable, and service excellent. After a leisurely lunch we were able to extend our visit together in one of the seating areas in the large lobby. The gift shop had some interesting finds. All in all, highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful InnLovlinyDined on 3/21/2014We had a wonderful weekend at The Red Lion Inn. The whole experience was lovely. This is just such a special place. Ambiance is warming and welcoming. The food is extraordinary and the entire staff is knowledgeable, helpful and friendly. One of my favorite places to stay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Birthday CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/16/2014We celebrated my mother's 75th and my son's 25th at the Red Lion Inn. It was a very enjoyable experience. Wait staff was great. The staff proactively followed up with me prior to our scheduled reservation to ensure our needs we're met.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very classy and excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/15/2014We had talked about staying at the Red Lion Inn for years and we finally made it. The dining room was as charming and high-quality as the hotel. Excellent menu with vegetarian options ( important for me ) and the ambience was fantastic. Perfect for any special occasion. Expensive but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoyed a traditional visit.JasmineDined on 3/9/2014We enjoyed a traditional visit. We have gone off and on for 50 years. Attention to floors linens and silver is so nice, but having to remind one's server for your drinks several times is not nice.
- Special PlacePattioVIPDined on 2/28/2014As always, the Red Lion Inn offers old New England elegance, charm, and outstanding food fresh from local sources. Such a special place each and every time we come!Special Features:
- Old school charmjb2000Dined on 2/16/2014It was nice to find a dining experience that was old school charming and great food. It was so nice to also find a place with such a large room it was great if you are a bigger group as most places in the area are small. Also it seemed very quiet when we arrived at 6 pm which concerned me with small kids. But shortly after once the room was full it was fine and the kids noise did not matter at all. There were children at every table but still an elegant environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A piece of history worth visitingrovingfoodieDined on 2/16/2014I've been to the Red Lion Inn a number of times for lunch and have never been disappointed. The ambiance of the main dining room makes you feel like you're in a Norman Rockwell picture and the easy nature of the staff makes you forget the stress of modern day life. We really enjoyed the Maple Dijon dressing and the chicken pot pie was great. The desserts were well worth the calories and the apple pie portion was large enough for two. If you're looking for a more relaxed environment try to bar in the main house or the Lion's Den downstairs (live music at night).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice!HighexpectationsDined on 2/15/2014Excellent food, ambiance, great get away. Would go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- some-what disappointedDinearoundDined on 2/14/2014The food was at best "good' our waitress although friendly was lost in the weeds as more tables began to fill. She seemed to be more attentive to a group of six that was seated as we were near completing our dinner and at that point was hard to find. Also over a two night period I ordered the same VO Manhattan three different times and was charged three different prices, $10. $11. and &12. why is that?Special Features:
- Beautifully HistoricOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014The Inn was a beautiful place to dine with a very romantic and intimate setting for Valentine's Day. Food was delicious vas through service was wonderful. Only disappointment we had were the children running around. For a fine dining establishment on a romantic holiday... Kids should NOT have been present. We ended up rushing through our dinner to escape the noise and distraction the children.Special Features:
- Red Lion InnAnonymousDined on 2/7/2014Great food; spectacular service. Wonderful establishment for any occassion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Nice atmosphere.fannyDined on 2/1/2014Good food. Nice atmosphere. In the middle of everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic Americana!brand3Dined on 12/27/2013From the American fare of chicken, steak, pork, and fish, combined with an ambiance straight out of Yankee Magazine, the Red Lion's three dining areas ooze of New England Americana unlike no other. There's something here for every price range...from the inexpensive tavern and pub to the pricey main dining room, the experience is unforgettable. Red Lion Inn is for everyone. Either a casual lunch in the pub or tavern or a special occasion in the dining room, everyone can be accomodated. Great for families, romantic dates, and very special occasions. A true gem. What America is all about.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful holiday lunch experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/20/2013The Red Lion is always the perfect place for special occasions. Our recent corporate luncheon to celebrate the Christmas season was yet another memorable experience for all in attendance. Fine food, terrific service, and the beauty of the place and locale made for a wonderful afternoon!Special Features:
- SpecialHengDined on 12/8/2013Very special place to dine. Unfortunately, we felt ignored by the server. This is the first time we have had any negative experience at the Red Lion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/6/2013Great experience. Waitress 'Christy' was wonderful. Dinner cost was $120.00 for two people, including tip. We both had prime rib, it was excellent and well presentated. Dining room was beautifully decorated. A real treat to myself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.