The Red House Restaurant
98 Winthrop Street
Cambridge, MA 02138Neighborhood:
EuropeanPrice: $30 and under
The Red House Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theredhouse.com/
- Phone: (617) 576-0605
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Closed on Monday. Bar always open between 3 & 5 pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Paul Overgaag & Marc Plourde
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Full service, home or office, however our liquor license does not allow us to provide alcohol off premise.
- Private Party Facilities: Three small private dining rooms available two of which seat parties up to 12 people, the third, 8 people. All three rooms have fireplaces, only one is wheelchair accessible. For any party of seven or more or to book a private dining room, please call us directly. These parties cannot be booked online.
- Private Party Contact: Brynna Ledyard 6175760605
- Entertainment: Coming this spring... Live Jazz! Stay tuned for more details by following us on facebook & twitter!
- Special Events: The red house has recently become famous for its awesome 2 for $1 oyster promotion, offered daily from 3 - 6pm (everyone's first dozen is 2 for $1; after that, all oysters are 1$ each). Please note that this offer is featured both in our bar, and on our patio only. Both areas are seated on a first-come, first-serve basis. Because the red house does not offer this promotion in its main dining room, we are unable to accept reservations when you join us for oysters & drinks. Reservations are accepted for full lunch and dinner menus only, between 12 & 3pm, and 5 & 11pm, Tuesday - Sunday (closed Mondays).
- Cross Street: JFK Street and Eliot Street
- Public Transit: "T" Red Line to Harvard Square
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Charles Square Parking Garage, University Place Parking Garage and the Harvard Square Parking garage are located with a one block radius. The Red House will validate parking vouchers for a discount.
A word from The Red House Restaurant
With a seasonally changing menu and nightly specials, The Red House offers European-style cuisine with the convenience of ordering most items in your choice of appetizer & entree size. The Red House setting is intimate and cozy, tucked into a beautifully renovated historic home in the heart of Harvard Square. Most recently, The Red House has begun collaborating with its very own certified organic local farm to bring you the freshest foods possible throughout the New England growing season.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Red House Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
71 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (29)great for outdoor dining (28)fit for foodies (24)special occasion (19)romantic (17)good for groups (12)great for lunch (10)vibrant bar scene (9)hot spot (6)kid-friendly (4)notable wine list (4)late-night find (4)great for brunch (4)scenic view (3)Show More
- Our group dinner destinationKRT86Dined on 11/14/2014My office takes visiting speakers to the Red House for dinner to thank them for coming. We go in groups of 6, and particularly love that the Red House has round tables, which make all the difference for having a good group conversation! We love the ambience of the Red House, and their thorough but not overwhelming menu. The service is always attentive, but never rushes us, and we always have a great time with good conversation. This is definitely helped by their approachable wine list, from which we always choose a bottle or two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlmostmadrikhDined on 11/9/2014Five of is met here fpor dinner on a Sunday night. Overall everyone was pleased. The best part of the experience was the staff, who were efficient and friendly. The ambiance was fine; the piped in music was not unpleasant, but had perhaps a bit too much variety -- occasionally we were diverted into wondering "what does this song have to do with the last one?" The menu offered a nice selection, but our choices were surprisingly limited: we chose a wine and found out that "the last bottle was just sold." At dessert time, for one of the choices, "there are only two servings left." (It was a Sunday, but only 7:00 P.M.). The food (and wine and dessert) were all fine -- no complaints, but no raves either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All goodJimsDined on 11/9/2014Good food, good service, good ambiance...would go again. Went for lunch, great burgers, soup and sandwich were great.Special Features:
- Special guest had a great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/29/2014Sat by the fireplace; food was excellent and staff accomodating and friendly. The Red House never disappoints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/29/2014Cold strudel and they murdered the venison......unforgiveable
- DisappointingGrazerDined on 10/12/2014Nice atmosphere but the food is not great for the price. I paid $24 for a rather bland seafood stew that came unattractively presented in a small salad-sized bowl. I've had much better dishes of this sort for half the price. The bread we were given was stale. My partner's pasta had gewy clumps and was flavorless. The service was friendly but rather unprofessional. We won't be back.Special Features:
- One of my all-time favoritesLilysueDined on 10/8/2014I just love The Red House Restaurant in every way. It's beautiful without being overdone, the food's great, the service always excellent, the atmosphere & decor very appealing at the same time's it's actually quiet enough to have an actual conversation!!! I've never been disappointed with any entree but I especially appreciate the beauty and freshness of the delicious produce and salads. Being able to order an exquisite, fresh kale salad rocks!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great hidden gemsouthiefoodieDined on 10/5/2014Loved this place. Loved the homemade pasta and 1/2 portions. Loved the island creek oysters. Great service. Small dining room. The table next to us was very close and loud. Other than that, it was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice suprise.PlaysandPhoodDined on 9/19/2014This was the first time we ate at the Red House and were pleasantly surprised. The ambiance was cozy and had a New England flare. The menu was variable and reasonable. The waiter surface was very receptive. We look forward to going there again.Special Features:
- DiscerningVIPDined on 9/17/2014wonderful great first experience in particular Ashley friendly personable accommodating and flexibleSpecial Features:
- Great Place in Harvard SquareCambridgianVIPDined on 9/13/2014Located in an historic old house in the center of Harvard Square, this place exceeds expectations. The food is very good, and the service is attentive but not overbearing. We were in a room of our own (for five) upstairs, and we happened to be next to a room with a very loud group of people, which was less than optimal. Most of us enjoyed our food, which was good but not exceptional. The overall experience is very good, especially in an area where most restaurants aim at students who want cheap food and abundant beer. This is better than that, but not snobbish at all.Special Features:
- not quite measured upOutoftownerVIPDined on 9/7/2014Consistency is difficult to achieve for restaurants, but we still expected more. The crab salad was so full of celery I couldn't taste the crab. The "picnic chicken" was utterly bland with no distinguishable seasoning/flavor. The lobster ravioli was at least decent. The poor server was covering the bar and it seemed like 8 other tables and was swamped. The interior is at least cute with various fairly-well-spaced tables I'm an old house. Because of the food, however, I think there are better options nearby.
- terribleBvegaDined on 9/5/2014Seating was cramped service poor at best , they call that lobster what? Risotto absolutely not !!! Swordfish really it was more like 2 pancakes never had swordfish so thin before they really should be ashamed
- Slow service and food had no flavorOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/30/2014Service was EXTREMELY slow and it wasn't busy in the restaurant. We had a party of five and everyone ordered a different entree and all had no flavor to them and food was cold. Also, the host was very rude to me when we first arrived. I was at this restaurant a little over a year ago and I really enjoyed my meal and experience. It has definitely gone down hill. We all were very disappointed. I would not go back to this restaurant and would not recommend to anyone.
- outsstandingEdGeetsVIPDined on 8/30/2014will go back often as food and service were terrific employees were professional and courteousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very delicious!PaulaVIPDined on 8/24/2014We were visiting Boston and wanted to try a fun restaurant in Cambridge. This was awesome. I had lobster with pasta and it was wonderful. My husband had some seafood stew that he enjoyed. My daughter had the pasta and it was good, not great! I would recommend trying this jewel!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Red House Restaurant OpinionDinerama1Dined on 8/15/2014My fourth time dining here and always a delightful experience. Food, service, vibe- always fun to dine here.Special Features:
- Consistently Good!seadewDined on 8/15/2014Red House is one of my favorite restaurants. The food is very good, the service excellent and they have outdoor dining. I particularly like the fact that you can get smaller portions of the entrees.Special Features:
- Crowd-pleaser with lobsters aplentyCaileanDined on 8/13/2014Went here on several occasions and I think the biggest appeal to The Red House more than anything else is their continuous supply of oysters, and not just small dinky oysters. We're talking Wellfleets, Island Creek, and even PEI Malpeque oysters that are always of consistently good quality. The Red House also specializes in lobster dishes and the last dish enjoyed was the traditional steamed lobster which for the reasonable price makes sure you're not getting just some 1lb small fry. I highly recommend their appetizers too along with a nice 22oz beer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fire the chefEasy2pleaseVIPDined on 8/9/2014Inspired menu but poorly executed. We were there early on a Saturday night, plenty of wait staff, no obvious rush. The artichokes were underdone to the point of inedible, the salad was wilted, the duck breast was over cooked, lukewarm and hard with a congealed sauce...
- Love the porchmarciemVIPDined on 8/8/2014Can't always get a seat but the porch is a great place to lunchSpecial Features:
- Always accommodatinglillibetVIPDined on 8/3/2014We brought our young daughter here for an early dinner and our server was very kind to her--found old menus and crayons to entertain her and offered to make off-menu pasta if she preferred. The food and ambience are always lovely and being in the back room was a nice respite from the heat and crowds of Harvard Square.Special Features:
- A disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/2/2014It's a nice spot, so it's a shame that Red House falls flat. Oysters for $1 seemed like a great deal, but they were grimey and filled with shell pieces, probably because they were stacked on top of each other after being shucked. Sea bass sounded great on the menu but was bland. Lamb was better, though nowhere near as good as we've had at better places. Wine was served in cheapo, tiny glasses that lose any flavor of the wine. Prices aren't outlandish but you can still do a lot better for what you'd spend here.
- Loved itBevmireDined on 7/30/2014Love the Red House. Great neighborhood spot. Wellfleet oysters!Special Features:
- Mixed feelingsjeannedDined on 7/29/2014I have been here 3times. Once for lunch, salad was very good with a tasty dressing. Dinner, lobster risotto was full of lobster but not quite a great rissoto base. Apps were small. Dinner. Lobster ravioli full portion was 6 ravioli,we asked if a mistake was made and they brought app portion. Got the app portion of swordfish and that was a bigger piece than expected cooked nicely and tasty but very thin. So no rhyme or reason as to portionsiza. The sangria was very,very bland. We had 3different wait persons which was kind of strange so some good some to so good experiencesSpecial Features:
- Good, but...willardsquareDined on 7/29/2014Dinner was good, but not great - the $1 oysters were tasty, but they were not cleaned at all (seaweed and muck still on shells), and had been opened quickly and carelessly, so each oyster had multiple shell pieces. Once I knew that and sought out those pieces before eating, they tasted fine. Similar issues with my pasta with mussels, which was pretty tasty, but featured two mussels which had not opened with cooking (out of about 14), and two others which didn't exactly open, making me a little concerned. The dish itself was tasty, and the ambiance of the patio was nice. Not sad I went, but might not rush back.Special Features:
- The following 660 reviews are from the The Red House Restaurant reviews archive.
- foodieDined on 7/18/2014Great outdoor dining. Food was not the best. Had to send my duck back because it was not good.Special Features:
- Special any timeJandJDined on 7/15/2014The Red House is consistently excellent and the setting is perfect for those who like absolutely first-rate food but would rather avoid the large rooms that are the norm for most very special restaurants. There are several separate spaces in this old Cambridge home that make you feel like you're home, not in some institution. But oh the food is way beyond most homes! This has become the place of choice for small business lunches, romantic dinners, and family gatherings. The menu is eclectic enough for the vegan, vegetarian, kosher, and omnivore folks in my party on Monday. We ordered seven different dishes and each was perfectly flavored, prepared and presented. The Red House has been top-flight and consistent for years!Special Features:
- DisappointedFennoFoodieDined on 7/8/2014I've been to the Red House for lunch on several occasions and it was terrific - so was looking forward to trying it out for dinner. My guest and I were both disappointed. The kale and avocado soup was pretty bland; we were brought a wrong appetizer (the crab and avocado instead of the chicken) which came so late we didn't send it back, although we were surprised at the tiny amount of crab and the pretty tired lettuce that accompanied it. The mussel entree was excellent except that clams were mixed in, I guess to make up for the small amount of mussels - the dish was tasty but I think if you're going to use clams you should say so on the menu. Excellent scallops though. Waiter seemed distracted. I'd go back again for lunch, not for dinner.Special Features:
- Read the Fine PrintDanielaDined on 6/25/2014So, I was all excited to celebrate my birthday with basically all-I-could-eat oysters. They say that their oysters are 2/$1 however that only works for a dozen. Then the price is $1. It is written nowhere! I was there before and was able to get 2 dozen at the deal price. What a letdown this time! Anyways, the oysters are always dirty so it can be messy eating them and there are shells in them constantly. So you pay for what you get. They need to get fans or an AC because the downstairs bar area is so hot and muggy with no outdoor breeze, it can be suffocating if you're not by the open doors. Their oysters are OK taste-wise. As a frequent oyster consumer, I've had better for the same price. MEH overall experience and left disappointed.Special Features:
- Great nightPaulmc410VIPDined on 6/24/2014Atmosphere, food, service, and drinks all excellent. Great place for fine dining and/or hanging out with friends. We particularly like the outside oyster bar in the summer and the cozy fireplace in the lounge during the colder months...great place to entertain as well.Special Features:
- DeliciousjeannedDined on 6/19/2014We loved everything we ordered. Oysters, Mushroom Phyllo, scallops, spring roll. For dinner, Lobster Ravioli, special pasta of the day, lamb. Sangria. Would highly recommend and will be back. We sat outside but on a cool night there is a nice bar area with a fireplace and on the night we were there there was live music. Very nice all around.Special Features:
- A nice find!WestchesteriteDined on 6/13/2014The menu was interesting and varied; everything was very good. I had the mushroom phyllo appetizer, then the appetizer-sized lamb chops. All very good. I especially liked the option to get an appetizer or main-course size of so many selections. My husband had the pulled pork taco app (a special) and the halibut (also a special)...tacos were tasty; fish was super-fresh. It was our server's first night; she was a little freaked out at having to open a bottle of wine. We told her not to worry, we weren't judging her! She managed just fine. I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Hidden gemFigloverDined on 6/11/2014I was really surprised that the little red house opened up inside to a fairly big room.It was raining so we didn't get to dine outside which would have been preferable as the noise level inside was very loud. The service was very good and everyone loved the food.....try the amazing figs stuffed with goat cheese and wrapped in prosciutto.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale and relaxedTanyaDined on 6/10/2014My parents and elderly great-aunt were visiting from out of town, and I decided to take them to The Red House because I knew the food would be excellent, the ambience lovely, and that we would generally have a nice, relaxing, "New England-y" evening. I was not disappointed. One thing I really like about the menu (other than the scallops with smoky potato and pea hash-- perfect in every way!) is the fact that many of the entrees come in full or half-sizes-- excellent for mixing and matching if you just can't decide what to order. While my half-order of lobster ravioli was just about the right size for half an entree, the half-order of swordfish was plenty for a full meal, and everyone raved over it. Will definitely come here again!Special Features:
- MediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/7/2014Food OK, dining room was hot and unpleasant, often had to wait a long time for the waiter. WE were the waiters.Special Features:
- MediocreLaddiedogDined on 6/5/2014We used to enjoy it much more - now its mediocre. Food is fine but not great - same for evefything else
- lunchbuddyDined on 6/5/2014Charming setting, but food was very disappointing.
- excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014Very nice and attentive people, excellent service and good foodSpecial Features:
- A Graduation Great MealMichalsheliDined on 5/29/2014We took our daughter and son in law there for graduation lunch. We were going to be late and let them know. No problem. We live nearby and the food is always excellent. Red House is especially nice in summer to sit outside but the inside is cozy and moderately quiet.Special Features: