The Red Horse
996 West Patrick Street
Frederick, MD 21703Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $30 and under
The Red Horse
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.redhorseusa.com/
- Phone: 3016633030
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 3:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Tim Van Hall
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Red Horse Steak House specializes in banquets and weddings! Our facilities can accommodate up to 135 guests for served or buffet dining. Rooms for smaller parties are also available. Our menus are specially designed around the type of event you wish to host.
- Private Party Contact: Ken or Roy Bromfield 3016633030
A word from The Red Horse
The Red Horse Steakhouse, a full service restaurant conveniently located off US 15 and Route 40. Professional wait staff serves the finest grilled steaks and traditional seafood in a comfortable, casually elegant, atmosphere. Steaks are hand cut and trimmed daily. Complete bar facilities including a diverse wine list able to accommodate all tastes. Private facilities are available for banquets, receptions and business dinners. Come enjoy an affordable quality Frederick dining tradition.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Red Horse reviews from OpenTable diners
27 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (13)neighborhood gem (7)good for groups (6)romantic (6)kid-friendly (5)notable wine list (4)fit for foodies (3)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2014We have heard nothing but great things about the Red Horse since moving to Frederick. We finally decided to go on my birthday. What a disappointment. The hostess seated my wife, 19 yr old daughter and I in the bar area, even though there were only four other couples split between the bar and main dining area. The air was stale and dank. My wife and daughter ordered scallops, which were still mushy and undercooked, as if straight from the freezer to a searing hot pan! My prime rib was tasteless, other than the salt on the outside. though it was rare, as I had ordered. The Ceaser salad was average but consisted mainly of limp greens and powdery croutons. The waiter was attentive and enthusiastic. I can't recommend the Red Horse.
- Old reliableDrZZDined on 8/2/2014Nothing fancy or innovation, but really good steaks, good service, and a reasonable price for what you get.I would recommend this to a friend.
- oscar1Dined on 7/26/2014We always come to this restaurant when we want prime rib. As usual it was the best in town.
- Red Horse truly a classicKdubswifeDined on 7/19/2014From the time you step in the door, you are treated with great service. The food was delicious from start to finish. We had a great time celebrating our wedding anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Red HorselittledukeDined on 7/19/2014I have been a customer of the Red Horse for over thirty years and have never had a bad meal!! Service is great and you can't get a better Steak or Prime Rib.Special Features:
- disappointedphantomdinerDined on 7/18/2014Many of the entrees are over 30 dollars and with that I had certain expectations which were not met in terms of the food quality. I had prime rib that was overcooked and my date had the crab cake meal which had little flavor and too much filler. The service however was quite good and the wine was good as well.
- Saturday Night DiningMissedAgainDined on 7/12/2014We decided to try the Red Horse since it was conveniently located to the Interstate and we were coming from different directions. I had the Petite Fillet which was tender and cooked to my liking. My friend had the Duck and it to was extremely tender and taste. The vegetables were a little tough, not bad though. Not crowded at all for a Saturday night which made for a nice casual atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ArgOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014The appetizer ( calamari) was pretty bland so would not recommend ordering that however everyone's dinner was super. Prime rib was the best I've had in a long time. The desserts were a hit with my kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticJayJayDined on 6/15/2014Everything, as usual, was fabulous. Never any surprises, just great food, good service.Special Features:
- BevyDined on 6/12/2014Food was, as always, excellent. Service was also excellent. The Red Horse is not fancy, but you can always count on good beef, good service and a pleasant dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HorribleAnneDined on 5/27/2014The food was bad and the service was bad. Avoid at all cost.
- Great service and good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/25/2014Our waiter provided excellent service. He was attentive and very knowledgable. The food was excellent from the Marci gras oysters to the blackened pork chop to the blackberry peach pie. From start to finish it was a great dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- T'was alright.FredneubDined on 5/23/2014The decor is odd, the servers don't write down orders high resulted in my salad being forgotten although I was not charged for it :) ) the food is pricey but the scallops are absolutely delicious! I would definitely eat here on occassion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Graduation dinnerThereseLDined on 5/23/2014We were a party of 13 people aged from 13 to 70 and everyone enjoyed an excellent meal. Service was attentive but not intrusive and we did not feel like we were rushed in any way, we relaxed for more than three hours over our meal. The two graduates received a dessert with candles without being asked. All in all a lovely evening.Special Features:
- Graduation DinnerCalifKidDined on 5/17/2014Two years ago we dined at the Red Horse to celebrate the beginning of our daughter's Master's studies at Hood College. This time we returned to celebrate her graduation. The food was great, the atmosphere was terrific.Special Features:
- Stick to steakOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/16/2014Good go-to restaurant on a Friday night, last minute. Nice alternative to one of the many chains on the same road. Service professional and prompt. Server experienced, "mature", and personable. Oyster appetizer very good. Ample dinner salad. Warm bread loaf very notice with garlic butter and oil dipping sauce. Husband's steak just fine. Only disappointment was my mediocre (at best) crab cakes. A bit fishy, small, and bready. Not many nice white chunks like other restaurants close by (Duches', Monocacy). Way overpriced at $31 for 2. But it is a steakhouse. Nice change of pace restaurant on a busy boulevard
- ServerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014Chris is the best waiter we have found since we moved to MarylandSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/6/2014We had a great dinner at The Red Horse to celebrate an anniversary. We ordered the filet and prime rib and both were fabulous. The service was great, complete with a visit from the owner! Love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 189 reviews are from the The Red Horse reviews archive.
- Family "Adult" NightHacksDined on 4/19/2014We have a family of 8, including spouses. Once a year, we all gather at the Red Horse for a nice dinner, without the kids! Great food, great ambiance, always great service. A bit pricy for 8 to eat with drinks, dessert and coffee, but makes for a great night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My wife and I had a wonderfulChefJackpotDined on 4/10/2014My wife and I had a wonderful meal. Drinks were great (pomegranate martini and half bottle Moscato) Fried asparagus for appetizer. Fresh tasting and crunchy coating made it a great choice. We each got a different cut of prime rib. One end cut which brought back wonderful childhood memories and was great and one regular cut which was huge and also wonderful. Our server was very knowledgeable and attentive (been there 22 years). Pretty expensive but a great special occasion dining spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner for brothersvmdigioiaDined on 4/5/2014Three of us met for dinner and ordered red wine, bourbon, and the surf and turf -- cooked right, great wait service, and quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The restaurant is lovely inside.Luv2dine2Dined on 3/28/2014The restaurant is lovely inside. Unfortunately, the bus personal were more personable and attentive to us than the waitress. Food was okay, overpriced for the quality. The coconut cake was delicious. We had been wondering about this restaurant for years, finally tried it and we were very disappointed.
- Service and food great. OnlyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/28/2014Service and food great. Only complaint was medium rare filet was over cooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good crowd on a Saturday.CASSVIPDined on 3/22/2014Good crowd on a Saturday. A few specials besides the regular menu. The steaks were soooo good, the wine flowing, and the service was great. Just a good place for consistent food and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccasionJM1954Dined on 3/22/2014My family and I had a great evening at the Red Horse last Saturday celebrating my wife's birthday. The service was great and the food was delicious. Well be back as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite eatery in Frederick.GregDined on 3/19/2014My favorite eatery in Frederick. Consistently great food and service for the last 25 years. Best Oysters Rockefeller ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodNannymc21Dined on 3/10/2014The Red Horse always provides a great steak experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent waiter!!! Very knowledgeaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/7/2014Excellent waiter!!! Very knowledgeable and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sawdust Horse -- Pretty yet hollowLockesRabbDined on 3/1/2014Bad parking. Bad check in procedure. Even with a reservation, they mistakenly told us we didn't have one and nearly denied us a table. Good service for only first half of meal. Waiter becomes very inaccessible for second half. They failed to cook to specifications for my order. Even after being given the opportunity to fix, they undercooked the steak again. They misled us making us think the salad was included when it was not. Several waiters kept asking us if we were done, if we wanted the check. Keep in mind our plates were only half empty and we were still actively eating. Very pushy and anxious to get our table cleared away. Good atmosphere. Decent variety in food selection. Plates' cost averaged $40.Special Features:
- Red HorsejubobVIPDined on 2/21/2014The server was very upbeat and pleasant. I thought the food was overpriced for what you received. I would not go back.
- FantasticJayJayDined on 2/16/2014As always, The Red Horse far exceeded our expectations. Our wait staff was outstanding. The food was fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Red Horse always showswvh1007Dined on 2/15/2014The Red Horse always shows well. This was a busy Saturday night due to the fact that there was a "spill-over" Valetine's Day crowd due to the weather, but the staff of the Red Horse handled this perfectly. My wife and I sat a the bar for a couple of minutes while our table was made ready. We asked the staff to surprise us with a bottle of wine to go with our meal and that was well done. My wife and I both had steaks and they were grilled perfectly. I highly recommend the Red Horse for a great meal for two or for a family reunion. A Great Night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expectedNewToFrederickDined on 2/15/2014Brought my wife here hoping for a wonderful steak dinner. What we found was a restaurant that never left the 70s in its décor, to the point we started calling it grandma's rec room! This restaurant definitely needs a remodel, and then it needs to decide what it wants to be when it grows up. Fine dining it is NOT when you have big screen TVs mounted on the walls, although it's definitely not somewhere you'd want to go to watch a game. The service was mediocre at best, as if the waiter was doing us a favor to check on us and bring us our food. The steak was pretty good, but the mixed veggies that came with both of our dinners (vegetable du jour) were straight from the frozen packet they came in. This restaurant is a "one and done" for us.
- Great Night OutJkb1Dined on 2/15/2014We went out last minute for our anniversary/birthday/valentine's celebration. We had been to the Red Horse before and really enjoyed it and we enjoyed it again. The food was excellent. The service was great. It has a nice cozy feel but is a little dated if you are hoping for trendy and modern. I actually like that is comfortable and homey with fires going and nice woodwork. The tables are nicely spaced too you don't feel you are right on top of other diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service was awful. MyPRchickDined on 2/15/2014The service was awful. My salmon was raw, veggies cold. My husbans veggies also cold. My friend asked for mashed potatoes she got baked potato. She asked for well done she got medium well . Her husband asked for baked potatoes and got mashed potatoes. The waiter never came to ask if we were ok.Ah! My plate was chipped in one corner. The only good thing was the salad. I was just wondering since the restaurant is in Frederick and we are minorities. Naw! Well the waiter was the only minority that night. Just wondering.
- Great foodwowthemanDined on 2/15/2014Don't let the location or building fool you. Inside this hide-away is a nice restaurant with good food and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good and comfylastminutevalentineDined on 2/14/2014My wife and I made a last minute decision to go out for Valentine's Day. Even though it was late the staff at the Red Horse gave us very good service and very good food. Although the atmosphere is a little more rustic than an upscale Steak House, it is inviting and comfy cozy. We have booked their banquet facility for a rehearsal dinner that is on the horizon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has gone downhilljmethechefVIPDined on 2/14/2014Filet was like a chuck roast. Terrible quality meat. When sent back, they brought same sides reheated to SUPER HOT in the microwave, and another steak that was just like the first. Tough, unattractive and taste like meat from a department store. Broccoli tasted like someone's musty basement. Not a good experience. Will never go back.
- The food was good but theOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014The food was good but the service was the worst I have ever experienced.
- Great Valentine's Day ExperienceChrisDined on 2/14/2014Great valentine's day experience for me and my girlfriend. The service was great, server recommended the prime rib, which both of us got and it was very good. Crab dip was great, actual crab meat in it, could have been alittle warmer but it was good. Overall, great experience and would be going back another time.Special Features: