The Red Hen Cantina - Napa
4175 Solano Ave
Napa, CA 94558Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
The Red Hen Cantina - Napa
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://redhencantina.com/
- Phone: 7072558125
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: F-Su 8:00am-10:30am
Lunch: Daily 11:00am-4:00pm
Dinner: Su-Th 4:00pm-9:30pm
Dinner: F-Sa 4:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Salvador Hermosillo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Tanya Berry 7072558125
A word from The Red Hen Cantina - Napa
The Red Hen Cantina in Napa.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Red Hen Cantina - Napa reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (14)kid-friendly (8)good for groups (8)great for lunch (5)neighborhood gem (3)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)fit for foodies (1)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Fun and delicious casual eatswrichmoDined on 8/1/2014When you get tired of tiny plates of unrecognizable food, get over to the Red Hen for a pitcher of margs and some delicious Mexican classics. We really enjoyed the mole enchiladas and the chimichanga on the loud and busy patio. We left full and happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, disappointing foodLove2EatDined on 7/19/2014We had a party of 18. The back room was set up as requested and all of the service was terrific. Unfortunately, other than the guacamole, which was very good, the food was a big disappointment. The seafood enchiladas were tasteless and mushy. All of the food was just underseasoned and not well presented. Would go back for the margaritas and guacamole, though- that is it.
- top shelf margaritasinfrequentvisitorDined on 7/15/2014The gimmick of a free dollar for top shelf margaritas is fun and they are quite tasty. Good guacamole.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehSAWHOPEVIPDined on 7/3/2014Had expected better food with the arrival of the new-old chef.
- ExcellentgooseDined on 6/16/2014The food was excellent and the service was also. We enjoyed our dinner very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUMDineWithMEahDined on 6/5/2014The pork enchilada with green sauce was really good. The rice was light and flavorful. Margaritas were GREAT too!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!!!btravisDined on 5/17/2014My wife and I were really in the mood for Mexican and we are so very glad we chose the Red Hen. The food was excellent and the top shelf margaritas was just what we were looking for after having drank wine for so many days. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red Hen Tasty FoodRichardP70Dined on 5/3/2014It was a Saturday night and the outside patio was 3/4 full and the inside was about 1/2 full. We were seat and had warm chips and fresh salsa right away. Our wait person took our drink and food order and in about a minute we had our drinks and within 10 minutes we had our entrees. Food was fresh and tasty. Staff was helpful and accommodating. We will definitely come back when we are in Napa.Special Features:
- The following 13 reviews are from the The Red Hen Cantina - Napa reviews archive.
- What a Fabulous FindTarynDined on 4/5/2014I just recently bought a home in Vallejo, and desperately missed the Oakland and East Bay restaurant scene. When I realized Napa was only 15 minutes away from me, I jumped at the chance to eat at a decent Mexican restaurant, and we were not disappointed! The service was great, and our server was so nice and attentive. They had also read my message in the reservation about needing a high chair or booster for my son. The food was great, and we're already planning on coming back during the day to sit outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Families - but that's itNapamelVIPDined on 2/23/2014The Red Hen Cantina has been around a long time and is a fun place to go with children. But, if you are going for great Mexican food there are better places in Napa. The service was slow and they kept bring a lot of chips and salsa before the dinner to keep us busy. My Crab Enchilada was a bit soggy and tasted like it was hanging around the kitchen. The whole beans were not fresh and had to come from a can.Special Features:
- Uninspiring Mexican FoodJeanDined on 1/19/2014The chips were decent, the salsa had no spiciness. The microwaved tamale was chewy and tasteless with huge chunks of chicken. The lighting was so dark that I couldn't see the corn husk, which tangled with the chewy corn masa. I thought the rice was ok, but my husband didn't like it at all. My husband liked the chili verde but the beans and tortillas were cold. I didn't care for the flavoring in the whole beans. My daughter thought the burrito was good. The margaritas were fine - no complaint there. It looked like the outdoor dining area was nice and would have liked eating out there in warmer weather. Overall - uninspired - I'd go back for cocktails, but not for the food.Special Features:
- Service and food consistentLarryDined on 1/17/2014We go to this restaurant at least 2-3 times monthly over the past several years and have never been disappointed with either the service or food. Our favorite waitress Katelyn has always been providing us great service. She has a great personality and they are lucky to have her on their staff.Special Features:
- Margaritas onlyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/30/2013As a friendly person put it: have food first and go there just for the margaritas. Nothing else. Or else drink plenty of margaritas and then the food will be palatable. Service: was good, friendly enough. Nothing really to complain about but nothing extraordinary. Food: terrible. 1 star for me is I would not want to eat there again, that'd be true of this place.Special Features:
- ComfortWilliamDined on 12/23/2013Red Hen is good quality Mexican comfort food. High quality ingredients with are given to stay away from stereo type TexMex flavors of hot, n hotter. The food allows for the natural blends flavored of the food to layer and give the guest authentic taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red Hen CantinaFumeVIPDined on 12/17/2013Best chips & salsa in Napa! Tostada Salad was very good & my Strawberry Margarita was excellent!! Service was good. Already looking forward to Summer to spend time back on the patio : )Special Features:
- Not so HappyBuellaDined on 12/1/2013I made the reservations, no one acted like they knew what was going on after five minutes standing there they found it and we were seated. We sat there, and sat there, and finally she asked us if we wanted anything to drink, and finally brought over the chips and salsa. Then we waited for ever for her to come back and take the order, and again waited and waited for the food too come. She never came back to refill are drinks, or ask if we wanted anything. Then it took her 10 to 15 minutes to take are card so we could pay and leave. I go there all the time and I was mad, it was my grandaughters birthday, this person not happy at all, there service has really gone down hill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red Hen CantinaFumeVIPDined on 11/25/2013Best chips & salsa in town! Service is friendly & quick. Menu options other than traditional Mexican food. Full bar, margaritas are very good! Great, large outdoor patio for dining or just drinksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A big let downOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/13/2013As Mexican food lovers we had hoped that this recommendation would provide us with a great dining experience. What it was was anything but. This is a lesser then exciting chain restaurant with a nice patio. The drinks were the best part of the meal. Service was quite slow, the heaters on the patio were not in working order and the food was marginal. We would not recommend this to anyone in Napa given the great food that can be found.Special Features:
- They're slipping . . .LocalDined on 10/10/2013We had set up meeting some longtime friends (we hadn't seen in years) at the Red Hen Cantina as it was previously very good. The same inside/outside experience was present, and the staff were all very friendly and accommodating. However, the food has slipped in quality. I ordered the large burrito with carnitas. It had way too much meat inside, and I'm not sure any cheese was added at all. The minimal amount of sauce which was poored over the burrito was not good. My wife and a friend ordered the grilled chicken quesadilla said said it was pretty good. The prices were average. We probably won't return as there are too many other Mexican restaurants in the area that have outstanding food (as well as the service).Special Features:
- A solid find in wine countryshorty16Dined on 7/17/2013Good food, good- to larger-sized portions, tasty margaritas available in three sizes and friendly service. Would be nice if they were open past 9:30pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fast service; good Mexican foodlocaldinerDined on 6/29/2013The most impressive part of the experience was the speed of service. Is it possible to be too fast? Since we were in a hurry to go to a movie, this was just what we needed. Compared to 4 other Mexican restaurants in the area, this one is about average in food and ambiance. It is large, so it is easy to get into, even with a large family. It is conveniently located, just off of Rt 29, entering Napa from the north.Special Features: