The Ranch House
102 Besant Rd
Ojai, CA 93023Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $31 to $50
The Ranch House
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://theranchhouse.com/
- Phone: 8056462360
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 8:30pm; Sunday: 12:30pm - 7:30pm
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Californian
- Executive Chef: Stuart Farnham
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: David or Edie Skaggs 8056462360
- Entertainment: Spring, Summer and Fall. Friday and/or Saturday nights.
A word from The Ranch House
The ultimate in romance--hidden away in the beautiful Ojai Valley located between Los Angeles and Santa Barbara. Intimate garden dining, meandering streams, award winning cuisine, Wine Spectator Best of Award of Excellence wine list with over 700 selections available, bakery and herb garden on premises--for over 56 years this romantic garden restaurant has been perfection in Ojai.....Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Ranch House - Best Restaurants in Ojai ›
The Ranch House reviews from OpenTable diners
55 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (44)romantic (42)special occasion (34)scenic view (21)fit for foodies (19)neighborhood gem (17)notable wine list (12)good for groups (8)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014Wonderful food, the best buerre blanc sauce ever on the scallops. Everything cooked to perfection.House wine was really nice. Love all the twinkle lights outside. We have eaten there many times but the improvements under new ownership were well received.Special Features:
- awful food weird vibesOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/17/2014This place used to be incredible but since change of owners it is truely awful. Don't waste y your time
- Great at the RanchKayTVIPDined on 10/17/2014This was our first visit to the Ranch House, we brought another couple with us. We shared the mushroom strudel and chicken liver pate, both great. The men had the fish of the day which was halibut, excellent, the ladies both had the jumbo scallops cooked to perfection. the gardens are beautiful with all the roses and herbs, very romantic and calming. The only problem was a couple brought their four children with them and let them run around through the trees, very noisy and disruptive, total disregard for other diners. This restaurant is not a park. If your children can't sit at the table and eat their dinner, leave them home. We loved everything about the Ranch House and look forward to another visit soon.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014Great history and outdoor sitting areas. Food was good, but not great. Service was very good.Special Features:
- Romantic DinnerSpecialOccasionDined on 10/14/2014It was a perfect setting for my sweetie and I to have romantic dinner. The service and food were great. Our special occasion went as it should, with nothing wrong. Thanks Ranch House, we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014A very enjoyable and quiet romantic experience. Food was pretty good, but our waitress was either new or just didn't understand the menu or the wine list.Special Features:
- Worth The WaitJilliant99Dined on 10/4/2014I've wanted to try this restaurant for many years. I grew up in Ojai but moved away before I had the opportunity. I made reservations when I knew I would be in town and it was definitely worth the wait. The food was fantastic, crab cakes and scallops!!! And the view was just beautiful and serene. Garden landscape, little white lights and some tables hidden away make for a romantic evening. Loved it and will be going back:Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Ranch House RevisitedsquidarmyDined on 10/2/2014My favorite restaurant when I lived in the Ventura area, I had not been in over a decade and was unaware there were new owners. We were greeted by the host who showed us the grounds and told us the history of The Ranch House. The gardens have been brought back to their former glory and the interior now has an amazing open lounge area with views to the garden. The food was everything an updated Ranch House should be- updated classic California cuisine with an emphasis on fresh locally grown ingredients. Order anything-all 3 of us loved our choices, but I insist you order the Wild Mushroom Strudel as your appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/28/2014The ranch house food was very good. Unfornutely, the place is in need of a sprucing up. It looks dated, shows poor care and things like some of the patio heaters do not work. the service is very spotty. Most of the staff seem unfamiliar with their jobs and walk areound amelessly. Overall I liked the food but would have trouble returning there.
- SO SAD~THE NEW RANCH HOUSE IS BADGFFoodandWineLoverDined on 9/27/2014We have dined here often for 25 years. The new red sofa in the lounge belongs in a Vegas bar. Our server was not qualified to serve in what used to be a fine dining house. She shared that she didn’t know anything about wine. A salad was unimaginative and not worth $9. The scallops were big but the combination of ingredients didn’t work. The beef tenderloin was overcooked. The dessert menu was recited to us with the only one gluten free option. The website still reads: “Wine Spectator Grand Award Winning wine list with approx. 650 selections to tempt you.” Yet we were given a one page list. Our meal was not worth $130 and the beautiful ambiance of the real Ranch House was gone. This place is no longer worthy to be called The Ranch House.
- Great placeRobGraceStyleDined on 9/26/2014Recently remodeled - new chef - incredible service & now the have a lounge with piano bar!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Improvements are Fantastic!allisoncDined on 9/19/2014I've been to the Ranch House several times and have never had a bad experience. This time was especially fantastic, as I had the opportunity to introduce my 13 year old son to my favorite California restaurant. The entrance has been remodeled and was very tastefully and eclectically done. The same favorite features are still there, though, including the beautiful garden and fish pond. There have been some changes to the menu, all of which were amazing. I had the crab stuffed shrimp and my son had the scallops. The food was very tasteful, had many layers of flavors and presentation was perfect. The host who seated us was extremely welcoming and told us a great story of the history, which I'd never been told before. It was a nice touch!Special Features:
- Beautiful grounds, fair foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/19/2014The Ranch House has impressive grounds, very lush and perfect for a pre- or after-dinner stroll. Tables are set at various levels and locations surrounded by the lush gardens. Perfect for a small wedding or any special occasion. Unfortunately the food, while good, is not outstanding. The tomato tart with ricotta cheese, and heirloom tomatoes drizzled with an excellent balsamic vinegar was a highlight. Both the shrimp and seabass entrees were just so-so.Special Features:
- It brings us back!ChiefDined on 9/18/2014I was introduced to the restraurant in the 70's! I introduced it to my wife 22 years ago! It is an annual tradition coming up here all these years; and will continue!!!Special Features:
- musicKikoDined on 9/9/2014When few people are at the Ranch House, the volume of the "background" music is too high. The volume is appropriate for when the house is more filled with diners.Special Features:
- Wonderful Dining ExperienceGoodspot2dineDined on 8/20/2014We loved the relaxed feel of this place – like a comfortable dining room in a friends home. We definitely would return to try more dishes. The scallops were amazing and the chicken was delicious. Service was well-timed and friendly, the wines were affordable.Special Features:
- no scallops, but no disappointmentlizzieDined on 8/17/2014Your web site mentions the special appeal of grilled scallops...a big favorite of mine. But alas, none appeared on the menu. The next best seafood item, shrimp, unfortunately has mighty hot chile accompanying it, so not on my list either...hmm...what to do...the stand-by choice to the rescue for this non-red meat eater (many of those on the menu!) - chicken..and it was most delicious and very ample (next day's lunch too:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ranch HouseSTEVEDined on 8/16/2014The ambiance was amazing, outdoors surrounde by trees and ponds and running stream. The food was just ok. Service was mediocre at best.Special Features:
- reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014Good food not great. Not like it was in its early years...rather more common now. Place is overgrown and in some disrepair but still a nice garden to walk through.
- A truly wonderful find! Wow!dancergirlDined on 8/3/2014The Ranch House looked unique and romantic. It did not disappoint! We were greeted by the owner and he couldn't have been more gracious. We got the best table in the place. It was past a little bridge and lovely pond, tucked away behind lots of bamboo. It was quiet, romantic and private. He invited us to stroll around the grounds as we wished-it was that beautiful. My boyfriend ordered the half chicken and I ordered the scallops. Mine was the most divine combination of flavors! When the waitress came to check on us all I could say was, "Oh my God!" With a big smile, she replied, "I will let the chef know." We both walked out extremely impressed & pleased. Everything was fresh, presented beautifully, and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic dinnerlovegoodfoodDined on 8/2/2014We were spending the weekend in Ojai and The Ranch House was one of the recommendations made for dinner. It is a really beautiful garden setting very similar to Inn of the Seventh Rey, in Topanga Canyon, on a smaller scale. My husband is a meat eater and I am a vegan and we both has amazing food! we were surprised by what an amazing little gem this was inside because it doesn't look like this from the outside- so do not judge it by the outside! a wonderful place is hidden behind the front door!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't always go back.raydinesDined on 8/1/2014We moved out of the area in the 90's and the Ranch House was our "special occasion" favorite. The menu included unusual gourmet selections that were presented orally by the server. The chef made extensive use of the fresh herbs from the garden and several teas utilized herbs growing there as well. On our recent visit we enjoyed a lovely table overlooking the garden. Soft music was also well selected. We had a chilled melon soup and heirloom tomato torte which were excellent. Our entrees were scallops and pork sirloin. Both were good, but not extraordinary and we're not good value for the cost ($30). Still a magical place, but the menu needs to be expanded to regain the restaurants past glory.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & great historyBABODined on 7/16/2014If you're in Ojai and you want a bit of local history and wonderful food, go to the Ranch House. Its got a new chef and the menu is lovely. We had a steak (first rate) and sea bass encrusted with coffee & chili!!!....amazingly excellent. A quiet, romantic spot, very casual and only minutes from downtown Ojai.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good birthday dinnerhomecookDined on 7/16/2014Went for a birthday dinner. A little disappointed that menu did not match web menu so 2 of the things we wanted were not available. Scallops and ribeye were both delicious.Special Features:
- give them a couple months to settleOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/15/2014The restaurant was in the midst of renovation AND change of ownership when we dined there. The food (as always) delicious. The staff helpful and accommodating, albeit frustrated with the ongoing changes and construction. Not a deal breaker, but we were given two different style wine glasses to use with our bottle of wine(dusty also). I would go back, but not for a few months at least till the dust settlesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It lives up to its reputationMichealDined on 7/12/2014This place is special, and you get that when you first walk through the garden gates. The setting is serene and the management is clearly in control of an expert group of servers and chefs who work together to provide and amazing dining experience. Many romantic "private" table settings upon request, the restaurant would be a perfect choice for a special dinner. The food was excellent; they really do the "farm to table" thing very well. The food is fresh and prepared well. The service is present without being over the top.Special Features:
- Finding their way but on right pathDishingOjaiDined on 7/12/2014Dined here twice this particular week. On 7/10, we came for a previously advertised wine tasting which no one knew about. The new manager (the second one since the new owner took over just a few months ago) was VERY gracious and took EXCELLENT care of us. Marcus was not cooking, but the kitchen did just fine. On 7/12, we returned with a four-top and discovered the too-good-to-be-true, short-lived, free-to-$10 corkage fee is no more; it's now $15. The wine list isn't what it used to be, so $15 isn't bad. Food is consistently good and creative and fresh with lots of local influences, but the menu is still a bit limited. The good news is that although they are still finding their way, the path they are on appears to be the right one.Special Features:
- Great food, service, lovely settingnjoyitDined on 7/12/2014The two of us enjoyed the evening entirely. Food and wine were excellent, portions of each were generous; we both recommend wholeheartedly. Try it!Special Features:
- Oldie but goodienotafoodieDined on 7/8/2014The Ranch House was an unexpected surprise. Although to me, the name made it sound more like a steak house, it is definitely not a steak house. The food was delicious, beautifully presented and inventive, and the service was polite and attentive. The gardens are beautiful but need the attention of a good gardener. Love the hidden dining areas among the bamboo. The place restaurant itself is in desperate need of some updating and the dumpster in close proximity of the front entrance is a turn off. The new manager is quite a character and clearly has improvements in mind. I'll keep an eye on the place for improvements and hope to dine there again next time I'm in Ojai.Special Features:
- Wilted flowerScooterDined on 7/6/2014It is unfortunate to see this once charming place so diminished. The garden remains lovely and serene but The deck area feels exposed and unfriendly. The problems, oversized brown butcher paper over pristine white table cloths...a silly choice; the first wine choice was out of stock, as was the second choice...after waiting too long for the stock to be checked; water service slow; food ok; and green tea ice cream that tasted exactly like salted carmel! It was a 45 th anniversary dinner, which they knew about, but no congratulatory peep....oh yes, from the bus boy who noticed the full table crayon drawing done by my husband on that butcher paper. And that wonderful cartoon was the best part of the evening.Special Features:
- worst food in OjaiOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/5/2014Living in Ojai for 15 years and only visited thenRanch House occasionally because it was over priced and food was simply not memorable. When new owner took over, we were cautiously optimistic (they have hand in other restaraunt in town which suffers from poor food). Extremely disappointed. Had a very special dinner with major celebrity guest from Hollywood and other local couple. Our local friends did not want to dine here for fear we would be disappointed and ruin our special evening. We should have listened. Ambience was great and the fun ended there. One entre was returned (lamb chops) because they were indelible. Two chicken entre's were untouched. Nothing was good.Special Features:
- I wanted to like itSFEaterDined on 7/5/2014I wanted to like this place after all the hype. But we were seated at the worst wobbly table right by the house door. After our dinner we walked around the tables and saw many open tables that were nicer options. I don't understand why we were seated in our spot. The food at best was ok. The server forgot my avocado soup after talking about how good it was. When it finally came out, it tasted like a very thick avocado salad dressing. I only took a few bites. The scallops were ok. Clearly they had a lot of purple potatoes because both the steak and the scallops came out on a bed of purple mash. I admit being a San Francisco native makes me a bit of a food snob but, if you're charging this price point, I expect more.Special Features:
- A MUST when visiting Ojai!ohlindaDined on 6/29/2014The Ranch House was recommended to us and now we recommend to you!! We just loved celebrating here - everything was wonderful ! We suggest you request sitting at one of the secluded tables if you are are sharing a romantic dinner...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but service was lackinggeorgiaDined on 6/28/2014Been coming here for 20+ yrs. and was disappointed in the revised wine/food lists. Less offerings, especially the much smaller wine list. However, the food was delicious and fresh. The service was lacking but I attribute that to the change of ownership. Hopefully, they will get their act together and return to the standard of excellence that the RH was noted for mSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A sensory delightSharDined on 6/26/2014The water features and on site herb garden excite all the senses. You just know you are going to have an incredible fresh food experience and the environment supports all of that. The lighting and (for us) the tradition of the Ranch House make it an all time favorite.Special Features:
- Great evening with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/26/2014We have not been in about 6 years, but it was just as good if not better than we rememberedSpecial Features:
- The following 250 reviews are from the The Ranch House reviews archive.
- ojaipattiojaipattiDined on 6/21/2014Our first time dining since the new owner. Dinner was excellent, I had sea bass and my husband had steak. The polenta was excellent, best I have ever had in a restaurant. I was a bit disappointed in the desserts. Pana cotta was not right and the cake my hubbie had seemed a day or two old. Perhaps desserts are not being house made? Service was very good. Inside dining room being renovated and some work going on with the ponds, but still lovely. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- reopening49erDined on 6/21/2014too soon. construction in main dining room. bakery not in operation. web site obsolete and does not reflect current menu or wine list. we've been going to the Ranch House for 49 years and hope it can get back up to the quality it used to have. Pete McDermottSpecial Features:
- Love the new corkage policyDishingOjaiDined on 6/20/2014Since most of the wine inventory was sold off, the corkage policy has loosened: it's $10 or free if you have a good story!Special Features:
- Disappointed this timebeachloverDined on 6/18/2014Normally we love going to The Ranch House. We were excited to take our daughter who was in town to celebrate her birthday. I called ahead and asked for a table set in the trees. Instead when we arrived we were given a table facing the garden (not bad, but not what I wanted). But then we found out that their kitchen is being remodelled so many of the foods we had expected were not available - their fresh baked bread, etc. The food was ok, but not of the quality we have had in the past. And they did nothing to celebrate my daughters birthday, which was disappointing. We will likely go back, but we will wait for the kitchen remodel to be finished.Special Features: