The Ram Restaurant
1 Sun Valley Road
Sun Valley, ID 83353Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
The Ram Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sunvalley.com/things-to-do/dining/
- Phone: (208) 622-2225
- Hours of Operation:
Open 7 days a week
Breakfast 7am - 11am
Dinner 5pm - 9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: John Murcko
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Michael Petersen 2086222225x
- Entertainment: Larry Harshbarger on piano
A word from The Ram Restaurant
Breakfast, lunch and dinner served daily. At night a modern steakhouse with organic and local Idaho products, full service. Live music with Larry Harshbarger on the piano.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Ram Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Sun Valley ›
The Ram Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
16 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (8)scenic view (8)romantic (7)great for outdoor dining (6)fit for foodies (5)good for groups (3)neighborhood gem (3)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Fall evening - very niceDrDarkDined on 9/19/2014Celebrated our birthdays. Perfect dinner for two on the deck overlooking the duck pond with fall colors, children playing, and listening to Larry's relaxing piano. Good food, fine service, and low key enjoyment.Special Features:
- Delicious food, great service!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/10/2014We had the salmon and the halibut, both dishes were fabulous!! Perfect sized portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always A Treat. . . . ButCherigirl52Dined on 9/9/2014We selected The Ram for our dinner prior to attending "The Beach Boy" Concert. The staff seemed very stressed as they had a hard time keeping the tables serviced. We were happy with our dinner selections. However when we ordered dessert it arrived too late for us to enjoy. . . we will be more careful to avoid booking a reservation on their busy nights.Special Features:
- New Menu, High PricesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2014New menu, high prices and a lot of missteps with service. Started off good enough but went rapidly downhill when a large party arrived and took what seemed like the entire staff from the few other tables in the restaurant. The Chef sent out a well filet that was literally charred? Not a lot of skill here. Steak sent back; it reappeared when the rest of the party was on dessert? Poor form. Dinner plates sat in front of each member of our party until we flagged a random employee to ask for them to be cleared. Had to repeatedly ask for water to be refilled. No guest should ever have to suggest or ask for fundamental basics from a fine dining staff. Servers carrying pepper mills under their armpits? Need more training all the way around.
- Not a stellar night at the RamHaileyfoodDined on 9/1/2014Just after Labor Day and seemed understaffed. Waiter spilled most of the juice from a rack of lamb on one of my guests and took a LONG time to get back with soda water and a napkin. Fondue was cold and had to be reheated and table heat didn't really work after two tries. Waiter seemed ambivalent to making things right. Everyone at the table but me (the host) was flying the next morning early, that a party of 9 with a fixed fee tip that wasn't going to order drinks or wine wasn't worth his full attention. I have been going to the Ram since 1976 and this won't stop me from going again when I am next in Sun Valley but it's a wake up call that every guest deserves the best. By the way, I spend more than $430 without drinking!
- Ram Dinner DisapointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014I invited friends to join us at the Ram, but ended up appologizing. Childs chicken was served raw and cold in the middle. Waited for over 45 minutes for dessert and the little dab of ice cream that came with the cake awas melted. Halibut was waisted because it just wasn't eatible.Special Features:
- The Place to Dine in Sun ValleyDallasDinerDined on 8/23/2014We had a most enjoyable dinner at The Ram. Three of our party of four had the filet mignon, cooked perfectly as ordered, and the fourth had the salmon, which was reported as excellent as well. The fried onion straws were among the best onion ring-type dish I have ever had: just the right amount of spiciness, and the smaller pieces (as opposed to actual rings) made them much easier to handle and to eat. The friendly and efficient service was outstanding, particularly since we needed to finish our dinner in time to make it to the Sun Valley Ice Show, which was accommodated without problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointingGeorgiaDined on 8/12/2014We went to the Ram expecting a high quality dinner and were very disappointed. The quality of the halibut I ordered and the steak my husband ordered were both below par. I would not go back next time I visit Sun Valley.
- Way too expensive for what you getOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/11/2014I ordered a baked potato in a state famous for potatoes and received a little round ball. Sour cream cost an extra $2 and bacon bits costs an extra $2. This place is a major rip off. If I am going to pay this kind of money then I expect the food to be much better. the feeling you didn't get your moneys worth while being nickel and dimed in a world class resort is inexcusable.
- The following 29 reviews are from the The Ram Restaurant reviews archive.
- Misleasding wine list, poor servicegargantuaVIPDined on 7/12/2014Open table menu for the Ram indicated ultimate wine tasting by the glass. No such thing however according to the server. Wine list essentially benign with no such Rotschild or Margaux as promised. Server overwhelmed. Food below par compared to previous experience. Bring back the old RamSpecial Features:
- Bad wineBadwineDined on 7/4/2014Sadly the wine we ordered was not good. We thought that since the Sun Valley Lodge Dining room has been closed they must be getting rid of old wine that has not been stored properly. So disappointing. So substandard for a potentially wonderful restaurant. This ruined our dinner.Special Features:
- Anniversary week at Sun ValleyquietDined on 6/26/2014When we arrived we were seated by the window. It was next to a noisy group. Our server, Deborah Fox, noticed this and read our minds and offered to move us to a quiet table. It was great, as was Deborah. The food, service, wine, pianist and ambiance were all fine. We look forward to our next visit to The Ram.Special Features:
- great piano player, Larry.SallyDined on 4/11/2014great piano player, Larry. Good food, good presentationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weekend Trip with FriendsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/5/2014We spent a great day skiiing at Sun Valley. Not wanting to head into Ketchum for dinner, we opted to eat at the RAM. Glad we made that choice. The setting was nice, the food was good and the waitress was great. We had a very nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LarryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/8/2014We thoroughly enjoyed returning to the Ram for a delicious dinner while hearing Larry play beautiful tunes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and prices are fairLocalDined on 2/28/2014The food was very good but not spectacular. It was a nice ambience with great service. They have a kids menu that worked well for our group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect place for after ski dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/16/2014Really enjoyed the Fondue and short ribs. Nice setting in the village.Special Features:
- Great dinner & WineTonyWendyDined on 2/10/2014The Bisque was awesome and the fish enjoyable as well. Wendy's scallops were first rate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fondue at the RamOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/8/2014Lovely birthday evening at the Ram with salad and fondue! A little waxy last night, but usually a knockout. Wait staff as always extremely pleasant and professional. Piano wonderful as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not gluten friendly; rude managerSkiiersDined on 2/1/2014We chose this place because they advertised gluten friendly, but it's not. The menu didn't list options nor did the waiter know for sure what was or wasn't gluten free. Forgivable. However, the manager treated us like rif-raf because we asked for a different booth. He marched over to our table and slapped his card down telling us we should have called to request a booth, and now he would have to answer to his regular customers. He was totally tactless. Unforgivable. With so many great dining options in the area I recommend choosing someplace else!
- wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/23/2014We came back again due to the wonderful food, service and delightful atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well I just want to say....allOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/9/2014Well I just want to say....all evening long, over dinner ..we were so surprised how delightful the server was, the food what we ordered was simply outstanding too We will definitely be back
- Always a favorite, but. . .MichaelDined on 1/6/2014The Ram has been a favorite of ours for years. January of 2014 was the first time we went there in about 5 years; apparently Sun Valley has hired a new chef, so some changes to the menu occurred. As always, the service and attentiveness of the staff was excellent - and the SV Inn is simply gorgeous. Our only disappointment involved the wine list and dessert. The wine list used to be quite extensive. Things have changed I had a VERY difficult time selecting something I recognized or felt confident would be very good. The abbreviated wine list is not a good change. We also missed the misc flavored creme brulees! Overall, a GREAT meal, with a couple of small disappointments. We'd definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerRjcarmodyDined on 12/30/2013We celebrated our 24 year anniversary at the Ram. This is the second time we have dined Ram and it has been excellent both time.Special Features:
- Best Waitress Ever!!bestgrammaDined on 12/29/2013Food was very good, but the waitress was even better. She made our family holiday dinner a very enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buttery!RsragerDined on 12/23/2013Wow! The service was outstanding and friendly, the wine was good and reasonably priced. The food was terrible, so much butter... After three bites my finance' and I felt like an anchor was weighing us down. Felt overfull for hours after. I recooked the leftovers on a pan in the oven and drained off all the fat/butter. The food was marginally better after the butter drain. Worst $200 dinner ever...
- Sun Valley GemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/21/2013We had dinner at The Ram on our last night in Sun Valley. The food was excellent, and the ambience was very nice. We dined on the patio near the piano, and the pianist regaled us with anecdotes about the resort between songs. The desserts were amazing- we would definitely dine here again if we ever go back to Sun Valley.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sun Valley paradiseDocdavis4lDined on 7/15/2013Soft piano music icing on the cake. Great entrees. We also found beautiful weather.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visit as a couplequietDined on 6/24/2013Have been before in groups. Arrived just prior to our 8 p.m. reservation. Waiter was excellent, as was wine, appetizers, salmon and halibut main courses and dessert. Main courses were served nearly an hour after we finished our appetizers-cooks were overloaded trying to serve several groups. Matire'd apologized and paid for our meal, which we appreciated. The pianist was very good-just the right volume. We will go back, but the restaurant should avoid overbooking with large groups, or staff to accommodate them.Special Features:
- Piano player is a real plus.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/1/2013Piano player is a real plus. Plays requests and is a walking encyclopedia regarding Sun Valley history.
- Faded Sun Valley StarDayenightVIPDined on 2/19/2013Although the food is not as excellent as it used to be, the Ram is still a Sun Valley classic. The entrees were overcooked, the side dishes greasy or uninteresting. But the ambiance is as wonderful as ever. I wonder why it changed? The best entree ever was their Sea Bass with Lentils -- even the server said people ask for it all the time -- but it was taken off the menu.Special Features:
- We have dined at the Ram forOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013We have dined at the Ram for at least 15 years and always enjoy the dining room, the wonderful food (fondue!) and the piano player who always plays my special song. We went on Valentine's Day this year and our waiter forgot to take our wine order and then forgot later to bring our wine. No issue over that; we just asked! Love the Ram, always have, always will.Special Features:
- Wonderful Experiencebda6885Dined on 1/26/2013Everything about our experience at The Ram was outstanding. Our waiter was helpful, the food was outstanding and the experience enjoyable. I'm not a meat person, but I had the steak and it was so tender that it practically melted in my mouth. We definitely will eat again at The Ram the next time we return to Sun Valley. Be sure to put it on your list of places to eat in Sun Valley.
- This place is a real sleeper.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/25/2013This place is a real sleeper. Somewhat hard to find, but you'll be thinking you're dining in the Alps. A very creative and outstanding chef.Special Features:
- Two diners food was eitherOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/4/2013Two diners food was either overcooked or undercooked, server never came back to pour our wine. Desserts were VERY good.
- The Ram is always a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/23/2012The Ram is always a great choice. The food is excellent and the servers are friendly and attentive. Our recent dinner was during the Christmas holiday season and we enjoyed the carolers and surprise visit by Santa Claus. The Ram is a fantastic choise for a great meal to enjoy with family and friends. Ken - SeattleSpecial Features:
- The special short ribs dishOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/22/2012The special short ribs dish was memorable. Our waiter Michelle was great!
- I have been dining at theHaileyfoodDined on 11/23/2012I have been dining at the Ram for 35 years. Every year has been special but none more special than the new menu for 2012-2013 winter season. Food, service, ambiance all make it a special evening. We took two people who had NEVER been to Sun Valley and they compared it to the best restaurants in San Francisco but with a more "personal" touch. Well said!Special Features: