The Rail Stop
6478 Main Street
The Plains, VA 20198Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Rail Stop
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.railstoprestaurant.com/
- Phone: 5402535644
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 8:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Tom Kee
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We offer a small private wine room that seats up to 8 people, a side dining room that can be available for Rehearsal Dinners seating up to 32 people and with advance notice, the whole restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: Diane Hilton 5402535644
A word from The Rail Stop
The Rail Stop offers Contemporary American Cuisine in a Country Casual setting, with everything from Bread to Pasta to Desserts made on Premises.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
The Rail Stop - Best Restaurants in The Plains ›
The Rail Stop reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (38)fit for foodies (30)special occasion (29)great for brunch (25)great for outdoor dining (21)great for lunch (19)romantic (18)kid-friendly (17)notable wine list (15)scenic view (14)good for groups (5)vibrant bar scene (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Incredible foodmickeyVIPDined on 9/7/2014We've wanted to try Rail Stop for quite a while. While in the area visiting the wineries, we decided to stop by for dinner. We arrived upon opening so there were very few in the restaurant. Hands down the best place around. The Lobster Stir Fry was fabulous. Flavorful with succulent fresh lobster, I couldn't have chosen a more delectable meal. My spouse chose the scallops with Sobu noodles. Again, succulent scallops, perfectly cooked paired with a very tasty sobu noodle. It was an incredible experience that we hope to repeat soon.Special Features:
- NewporterVIPDined on 9/6/2014First time at the Rail Stop. Was very impressed. Food was good, service great. The Plains is a charming small town. Will come again!
- eating in the PlainsjumpinjackVIPDined on 9/6/2014This restaurant offers very good food,with a varied selection.Also had nice wines at a fair price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GoodepmeehanVIPDined on 9/5/2014Best overall restaurant in the area. We always have a pleasant time and great meal. Looking forward to seeing the duck springs rolls back on the menu.Special Features:
- Very High StandardmdfoodieDined on 8/31/2014We have dined here on several occasions but this was our very first Sunday Brunch experience. What a pleasure! I had the chorizo hash and eggs and it was truly superb. Eggs perfectly poached and the hash was a very tasty alternate to regular corned beef hash. Not too hot but very flavorful. Would also recommend the bread basket. Made to order cinnamon sugar donuts and lemon pound cake. Tom Kee is one of the best chefs around. My wife and I have dined at quite a few "name" restaurants and the Rail Stop is right up there with any of them! What I most especially like is the lack of pretentiousness. If you want an excellent meal with excellent service, the Rail Stop is worth the effort to try out. My highest recommendation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Do Stop at The Rail Stop!MarkVIPDined on 8/30/2014We hadn't visited in a decade, but our recent meal was every bit(e) as good as the last. From cocktails to desert, the entire dining experience is prepared with seasoned care and we especially appreciate the friendly service. When in The Plains, a stop at The Rail Stop is always called for. PS: I might recommend that more Virginia wines make their list to feature the local "growing" industry.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/30/2014I was excited to eat here but the service was average and the food was just not good (except for the crab meat). They are kid and dog friendly and the staff is nice but the food is a let down.
- Little town gemFoodnfunDined on 8/30/2014We had heard about this for years. It was comfortable, good food, nice wine and a great waitress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- severely underwhelminghaycon1Dined on 8/23/2014This is one of the strangest restaurants I've ever been to. I bet the locals love it, but as an outsider I thought it was overpriced and the service was very unprofessional. Our food took almost an hour and when it finally showed up it was just ok. The reviews and fanfare are misleading. The restaurant itself is old and dirty. You don't really get served. It's like there's a lady running around taking people their food, but you aren't being "served". Again, I'm sure if you live in the area you probably love this place, but save the gas if you live in NOVA.
- Best restaurant everOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/20/2014Have yet to eat in a restaurant as good as this one. The food is superbSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rrddppVIPDined on 8/16/2014The fresh tomatoe and red pepper soup is really really delicious We always have a great time and good food hereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always freshrrddppVIPDined on 8/13/2014The little seafood appetizer is delicious, fresh lobster, crab, shrimp and a colossal sea scallop on a bed of baby greens with my favorite lemon vinaigrette .... YUM But then, we always have a fresh meal and a good time at the RAILSTOPSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsChebbeDined on 8/9/2014The Rail Stop offers offers upscale dining in a relaxed atmosphere. We come here for special occasions and have never had a bad meal. The specials are always exceptional as is the service. We highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014We stumbled on this Resturant as we were driving home and searching open table for a place to eat. The food was delicious and the service was excellent. The crab cakes were all crab. The mussels were succulent.Special Features:
- UninspiringWineNDineDined on 8/2/2014We were very enthusiastic about having dinner at The Rail Stop. It came highly recommended to us as a gem a little off the beaten path. We were promptly seated at a table by the front window in the room attached to the kitchen, but noisy and too bright. More ambiance in other room. The two individuals who waited on us were very friendly and personable. We each ordered a salad, an entrée and a glass of wine. My wife's salad (cherry tomatoes and goat cheese) was skimpy - especially for the price. My mixed-greens salad was much better, but it was drowning in dressing and the flavor was lost in the vinegar. My wife's entree was fantastic (veal). My entree (salmon) was over-cooked, crusty and dry. Lots of potential, but inconsistent!
- overchargedluvVADined on 7/26/2014Food was great. However, my wife was overcharged $20 for a streak.Special Features:
- A secret Sunday brunch getawayRKM2VIPDined on 7/20/2014We have come here several times and it has been a wonderful experience each and every time. The staff is fun and friendly and the food is very satisfying. I'm a big fN of the chorizo hash, the eggs Benedict and the pecan waffles. I should probably try some other menu options, but those three are worth the drive out there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Far but worth itLadiroFairfaxDined on 7/5/2014The food is delicious. Very nice atmosphere. Great for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gateway to Virginia Wine CountryPatSullivanDined on 6/28/2014We started a tour of Virginia Wine country at the Rail Stop. Good menu and service. Recommend Sunday brunch. We spent the rest of the day at a number of vineyards in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Enjoyed!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/21/2014Had a wonderful dinner with friends, looking forward to returning again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BankerManUSADined on 6/15/2014Pretty delicious food but pretty noisy with the main road right next to you. Lots of motorcyclists find this to be a popular route to drive through, so plan on that if you sit outside...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant EveningMcLeanHikerDined on 6/7/2014We were at the Upperville horse show and needed a restaurant on the way back to Washington, D.C. metro area on a Saturday evening on short notice. This restaurant came with good reviews. Reservation was honored. Seated inside. There was outside seating, not offered us, which seemed more casual and nice on an evening with pleasant temperatures. Enjoyed the warm calamari salad, veal medallions with crab, and rock fish special. Service was attentive and water glasses filled numerous times. Wine list was inexpensive compared to many. It was a most pleasant evening of dining.Special Features:
- Great restaurant!Love2dineDined on 6/6/2014I have loved The Railstop since the first time I dined here. I have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food & AmbianceBobsreviewDined on 6/3/2014My wife and I have been going to The Railstop for a decade now...always a good time and the food and wine are excellent! We love to sit at the counter and watch Tom and the team put out plate after plate of nicely assembled meals made of the freshest of ingredients. Here's to another decade.Special Features:
- Always enjoyepmeehanVIPDined on 5/30/2014Great food and staff. Just a pleasant place to eat and relaxSpecial Features:
- Continues to hit home runsWallyWoodDined on 5/30/2014We love The Rail Stop and have ever since we moved out here 10 years ago. The food is consistently excellent and the staff is always extremely pleasant and attentive without hovering. It's wonderful for dinner, lunch or brunch.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerfivestarfoodDined on 5/23/2014We celebrated our anniversary at the Rail Stop., which was highly recommended by several friends. Although we made a reservation, we arrived early and were seated immediately. The service was excellent and the food was outstanding. The appetizer crabcake was very moist and lightly breaded. The scallops were fantastic as well as the veal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 327 reviews are from the The Rail Stop reviews archive.
- The Rail Stop Never DisappointsChebbeDined on 5/16/2014We've been going to the Rail Stop for birthdays and anniversaries for at least the last 10 years. The food and service are always exceptional.Special Features:
- Vey nice little Restaurant....naniDined on 5/14/2014The food was very healthy and very well done... Simple but exquisite!!!!! Is an excellent place to meet and socialize with friends in a quite ambience, low key.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- patteVIPDined on 5/3/2014Excelent, perfect every time we have gone, cant say enough......5 of 5 stars for usSpecial Features:
- The crabcakes were to die for!lindaVIPDined on 4/20/2014My husband and I and friends had Easter brunch at the Rail Stop. This has been a favorite restaurant of ours for a while as we love the little town of The Plains and its surroundings. My friend and I had the crab cakes which were absolutely divine - some of the best that I have had in the Washington DC area. My friend also began her meal with an antipasto plate which included fresh roasted tomatoes that were incredible with beautiful slices of mozzarella drizzled with a pesto sauce and bright green crisp asparagus spears. For dessert, our key lime pie topped with raspberries was subtle, just a hint of lime, but fabulous. We made plans to do the same thing next year!Special Features:
- First visit, will return!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/19/2014We were looking for a fine dining experience to meet friends that live in Winchester for dinner, we were so pleased with everything that we had, we will definitely return.Special Features:
- Friday NightSpecialDiningDined on 4/18/2014Easily made reservations for a Friday night. Table was already set and we were seated immediately. Food was outstanding (as usual). Service is fast and friendly. A great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding again !ChiefVIPDined on 3/22/2014My wife and I eat dinner here often and are never disappointed. The food is as good here as many restaurants in DC that are much more expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exccellent As Usual!DizaruDined on 3/8/2014Always a wonderful meal/night out. Never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2014Tom is always great at preparing special requests and providing a consistent dinner at quite reasonable prices. Everything was prepared very well and looked great. Can't say anything bad whatsoever and we've been coming here for over 10 years. Consistent, high quality food.Special Features:
- SundayLuvthemouseDined on 1/19/2014Very nice brunch with breakfast and lunch items. Everything was well prepared and tasty. Will go back again!Special Features:
- Great Brunch MenuStageCoach66Dined on 1/12/2014Brunch menu is diverse and they also have specials too! Portions are a little smaller than average but are priced accordingly - it's actually kind of nice because you don't fill up on the entrée and have room for dessert or an additional side. I checked the "scenic view" box on recommendations but this really refers to the area - great area for driving. The Rail Stop does have a patio but I have not eaten outside yet; the little town they're in is definitely scenic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal, great quiet locationDaveTDined on 1/11/2014A clear and better difference from the suburban mega-restaurant experience. Located in the heart of The Plains. Personal service, great food, and good wine. Recommend it for a quiet dinner for 2 or a small group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfortably SophiscatedIronbearDined on 12/31/2013Tried The Rail Stop on a whim. I heard some good things and was able to get a reservation on new years eve. The food was excellent. The Filet was cooked perfectly and had exceptional flavor. The Lamb rago on fresh pasta was equally delicious. This is one of those neighbor places that is serving upscale food but in down home fashion. Very cozy romantic feel particularly (we went in the evening). This is must if you are in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.