The Rail House 1449
1449 Irving Street
Rahway, NJ 07065Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Rail House 1449
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://therailhouse.com/
- Phone: 7323881699x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm -9:00pm
Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm -10:00pm,
Sunday: 4:00pm -8:00pm
Saturday and Sunday Brunch Buffets for Private Parties...Held next door in the RAIL YARD CLUB CAR ANNEX
We will gladly open for Lunch and Mondays to accommodate any special event..business lunch...or function that requires a daytime time slot. Please call the restaurant to schedule any private party-business lunch /dinner-holiday party-communion-baby/bridal shower/ rehearsal dinner/repass or that small intimate wedding with our Event Staff who is waiting to assist your individual needs. Our trained staff is highly proficient in coordinating any and all special requests to make YOUR EVENT that SPECIAL ONE TO REMEMBER..Casual or Fine dining- THE CHOICE IS YOURS!!!!
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Carlos
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Rail House welcomes all catering events both in-house or private. We can accommodate your every need. We are proud to be a venue for that small intimate wedding/bridal-baby shower/rehearsal dinner/private business lunch or dinner/anniversary/ birthday party/repass or holiday function. We will gladly cater your event at your personal location as well and customize any menu to suit your occasion. Our Brunch Buffet has become a favorite alternative to the sit-down dinner/luncheon for many who prefer that casual atmosphere. We will gladly customize our buffet choices to suit your menu needs.
- Entertainment: We are proud to announce the opening of our next-door RAIL YARD/CLUB CAR addition that can accommodate up to 60 guests on 1 level with its 14ft ceilings, Large Screen TV's hard wood floors, brick walls, a custom oak bar that can sit 20 comfortably serving unique bourbon-scotch- whiskey and 50 Craft Beers, Our very popular Custom-Made Burgers is a favorite on our casual and affordable menu. Live music returns in this location Thurs-Fri-Sat nights along with themed dinners and sports events Don't forget to book your private parties for the holidays at either the cozy Rail House 1449 or the new more casual Club Car..the choice is yours!. SUNDAY BRUNCH BUFFET is now only available to those planning that very special private event. See website for menu selections.
- Special Events: JOIN US at our RAIL YARD/CLUB CAR NEW ADDITION LOCATED NEXT DOOR at 1443 Irving Street, Rahway, New Jersey 07065
Our 5 Course Wine Dinners are scheduled every 5-6 weeks ..details can be found on our website
Look for our THEME NIGHTS scheduled every 4-6 weeks
- Public Transit: Restaurant located downstairs from train platform on the Northbound side.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details:
There is on street parking outside the restaurant. There is also a brand new public parking garage is located next door between the Rail House and the Indigo Hotel. The garage has entry located on both Main and Lewis Streets. Very convenient! Parking fees are also very reasonable
A word from The Rail House 1449
A completely renovated and updated `19th Century home, the charming Rail House 1449 is conveniently located in Rahway’s Arts District, across the street from the Rail Station. Critically acclaimed by the NY Times-Star Ledger-and the Wall Street Journal, The Rail House 1449- rated #1 for "Romantic" by Open Table- features 2 floors of dining that seats up to 50 people in eclectic surroundings. Our wine cellar also accommodates up to 11 people in a uniquely private setting. The Rail House 1449 is proud to use Premium Sterling Silver steaks. You can also feast on our Shrimp/Scallop/Snapper/Duck/Lamb/Chicken/Lobster creations. Warm up with our delicious winter soups including Sweet Potato with Candied Bacon or our Roasted Mushroom. Indulge afterwards with a new array of luscious desserts to complete your meal. We are pleased to"warm-up" this winter with "cooled down" pricing.The menu is complimented by tasteful cocktails and our wine list, available by the bottle and the glass.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Rail House 1449 reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (7)romantic (6)special occasion (4)great for outdoor dining (4)fit for foodies (3)notable wine list (3)good for groups (1)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Very NiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014Great food and great service in wonderful building. Had the mac and cheese appetizer and a very tasty steak followed. Very nice wine list and a great list of craft beers too. Was too full for dessert so I can't comment.......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food for quick eatsRahwayFindDined on 7/11/2014For a Friday night inexpensive bite the food was good. We had tacos and burgers that just hit the spot. Service a little slow, but we were in no rush. Servers kept thanking us for our patience. For a Friday night the food was fine.Special Features:
- chocoDined on 6/14/2014The food was very mediocre. We shared cod fish and fish tacos. Nearly tasteless. Salad was so ordinary
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/17/2014We were here 2 years ago loved it. This time service was not good. Young waiters looked like high school students. Literally had to wait unreasonable time for service and throughout the dinner rarely had someone come over to see if we needed anything else. For the price that they charge not worth it
- Average FoodKnightsDined on 5/15/2014We went a weekday night for dinner after reading the reviews on Open Table. We went early and no customers were in the restaurant. Our server, Miguel, was very good and attentive. My wife had a very nice salad. My Caesar salad was so-so. My wife's entree was seared scallops. She said the taste was average with one piece that did not taste right. I had the sirloin steak that was well cooked. It tasted ok, but nothing special. We shared a piece of red velvet cake that was excellent. Prices were high for this quality of the food. We will probably not go again.Special Features:
- Raving about the Rail Housefran86Dined on 5/4/2014Our group of 8 had a fabulous time at the Rail House. Everyone was thoroughly pleased with their appetizers, salads, entrees, wines, and deserts. We were all busy tasting almost everything on the menu and everything was delicious ! We were vey impressed with the wonderful food and presentation. The service was fantastic. I would recommend this restaurant very highly !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 200 reviews are from the The Rail House 1449 reviews archive.
- Great Find!!RepeatCustomer732Dined on 4/12/2014I found Railhouse 1449 last summer while doing an online search for restaurants in the area. I'm so glad I did! I was very impressed by the food, service and intimacy of this restaurant. The menus seem to change seasonally and while some dishes work better than others, the overall creativity and presentation are first rate. The ambiance is intimate.....definitely good for a romantic evening. The wait staff is attentive (without being intrusive), professional and knowledgeable. I heartily recommend visiting Railhouse 1449.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place for DinnerBillDined on 4/12/2014This is the third time that my wife and I have been at the Rail House. It's been a great dining experience every time. The food and service are excellent. The dining room is romantic. Even though there were four tables full of patrons, the noise level was very low. It's always a great stop.Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprised and hopeful...OpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 4/5/2014While we were frequent diners at Restaurant David Drake, that culinary slice of heaven that used to occupy this space, we never really clicked with the Rail House 1449. Each time we went over the past couple of years, it seemed like the restaurant couldn't really decide what it wanted to be.. We decided to try again last weekend and were very pleasantly surprised and hopeful that the Rail House 1449 has finally found its groove. The food was very good and the portions were just right. The wine list is short, but there were some good selections, priced right. The atmosphere is truly lovely and the service was fantastic. When was the last time your waiter shook your hand and thanked you for coming in? We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Changing timesunfortunateDined on 3/28/2014Been a regular here for the past few years with great results ... This time though, unfortunately mediocre at best. Service was still above average, but the food was more than disappointing. Paying the prices here should result in a very different result. Sadly, most likely won't return. Owner Bobbie still the best, but can't justify the cost for the poor meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food - service?p90edDined on 3/22/2014The food was wonderful. Service was "sketchy" at best. We were at our table for a full 15 minutes before we were given menus. We had the Specials menu but nothing else when we were first seated. We were never given forks for the dessert (warm apple tart with vanilla ice cream.) So we used our spoons (?) Food was good but the service needs work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yay for the Rail house.TONISDined on 3/8/2014The service was great. The food was very, very good. Our waiter Faylin was a gem and very knowledgeable about the food choices. The establishment goes way out of its way to accommodate the customers. For example, the restaurant closes at 10:00. A couple came in at 9:50 and they seated and served them with a smile without hesitation. We were a party of 6 celebrating a birthday. Everything was great. A definite for a comeback.Special Features:
- Why we never tried this earlier....TommyGDined on 2/15/2014I have wanted to eat here since it was a David Drake restaurant and for one reason or another just never have. We went here for the Saturday of Valentines weekend because they were having a full menu and not a holiday revision. When we arrived we were promptly greeted by a busboy who told us "Bobby" would be right with us. Well, Roberta is my new best restauranteur anywhere. This woman is the most gracious, caring, person I have ever met in all my dining years. What a pleasure to eat in her establishment. We talked about growing up in the area, living out of state and the resurgence of some projects her husband is involved in. But, to top it all off the food was fabulous! This is now on a list of regular establishments to visit. Go try it!Special Features:
- Diamond in the roughTJohnDined on 2/15/2014The quality or food and service rivals any manhattan resturant and should be worthy of a few Michelin stars. Our experience started off with bourbon and pino, both were well poured and high quality. We moved onto friend calimari and zucchin which was perfectly hot and crisp paired with a splendid spicy duck sauce. Soup was roasted mushroom and was perfectly done. We split a Cesar salad which was good, but a bit bland, would have expected more of a kick there. Main course was fettuccini Alfredo and the short ribs. Both were to die for. I added a dogfish head peircing pills for dessert and my wife elected for the death by chocolate cake. All in all a spectacular anniversary dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GreatWendyHDined on 2/14/2014My husband and I love this restaurant. We found it by mistake last month and consider it a treasure. Food is delicious and presentation is wonderful. They have taken great care in training the staff which shows from the moment you are seated. You are not rushed and have amble time between courses. Tables are a little tight but it all works.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diamond in the roughsuchafoodieVIPDined on 2/1/2014The wines were reasonably priced. House salad, risotto, and mac and cheese appetizers were all great as we're the main courses of duck, scallops, and short ribs. Desserts were very good as was the coffee. The waiter was attentive to our needs. Great restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special occasion dinnerWhitis01Dined on 1/25/2014overall a very good place to eat for a party of 6. good food, good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GOOD!LemlaniVIPDined on 1/4/2014Been going for years. Always can count on the restaurant for an enjoyable meal. Was a little worried on my last visit (food was not up to their usual standards and thought maybe they were paying too much attention to the bar next door). Went this weekend, and had an extremely delicious meal from start to finish. Thank you Bobbie, always, for a wonderful time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent DinnerWestfriendDined on 12/20/2013After being welcomed into a quiet side room, where we could actually hear each other talk, the specials were described and the menu discussed. The waiter helped with choices, and each was beautifully presented and as delicious as it looked. The wine list had numerous reasonably priced wines; our choice was excellent. We were never rushed, sat and visited for hours, and thoroughly enjoyed the whole evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was our first time in theOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/5/2013It was our first time in the restaurant and was pleasantly surprised of the location, quality of food and service. We plan in coming back and perhaps bring some friends too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingFireandWine65VIPDined on 12/3/2013Food was very good. Service needs SERIOUS polishing. Waited for menus upon seating.Hostess not very "hospitable." Almost barreled me over after she "showed" us the table that we were sitting at. Went for a very special celebration and had to locate a member of the wait staff for another glass of wine. We were left alone in our own room (which was kind of nice) but we and to had been forgotten about. For the prices they charge (I have no problem paying for good food) the service and attention of the wait staff and hostess needs some serious improvement. I go out to dine quite often, and although the food was good, it wasn't worth the aggravation of having to deal with sub par service. In this kind of place you would expect perfection.Special Features:
- Great place for a special occasion.BillDined on 11/23/2013The Rail House is a great place to take your spouse/sgnificant other to celebrate a special occasions. This is a wonderful, small, intimate place. The service was excellebt. They did not rush you. While the menu is limited the choices and quality are excellent. We expect to be back many times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poor food slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/22/2013$200 for four people all four entrees were terrible
- Wonderful NightDinesOutALotDined on 11/16/2013Recently my sister and her husband came from NYC to take my boyfriend and me out to dinner to celebrate his Bday He picked Rail House because we wanted to try it and it's right by the train station. Service was excellent, attentive without being pushy. Food was fabulous. We all thoroughly enjoyed everything that we ordered, spinach fondue to start, duck breast for the guys and bacon wrapped monkfish for the ladies plus a couple of desserts for the table (complete with birthday candle) We had a lovely evening and didn't realize until we were leaving at about 10:30 that we were the last customers left and nobody ever tried to rush us out. I'm always nervous bringing people to a place that I have not tried and Rail House did not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I would go again...RAZ143Dined on 11/16/2013Had a great dinner. Wife had Strip Steak and she was pleased. I had the bacon wrapped Monk Fish. Thought it was just a wee bit dry...even thought it was wrapped in great bacon...it was on the dry side. Service was good and attentive but again, we were the only people inside at 6PM. Granted that is early but we ahd tickets for a show in Rahway (Bubble Boy). I really enjoyed the Cesar Salad (dressing was very good). No music though...should have some soft background music. Got very quite. Drinks were expensive...but you expect that in a "white tablecloth" restaurant. Would certainly go again for a special occasion!Special Features:
- Great weeknight mealWhitis01Dined on 11/6/2013Went on a Wednesday and had the prix fixe meal. Excellent food and service. Great choices and portions. Will definitely be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!manowarfanDined on 9/27/2013Went here on a Friday night with my wife to celebrate an anniversary. Romantic restaurant with excellent food and service. We will definitely be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A GOOD RECOMMEDATIONGIGIDined on 9/17/2013i WAS DELIGHTFULLY SURPRISED BY THE QUALITY OF FOOD AND SERVICE. bOTH WERE VERY FINE AND i AM A VERY PARTICULAR PERSON. THIS IS A NEIGHBORHOOD GEM AND i HAVE ALREADY RECOMMEDED IT TO FRIENDS OF MINE WHO WNJOY FINE DINNING.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemRepeatCustomer732Dined on 9/6/2013Recently had dinner at the Rail House. We were seated in a nice cozy corner of the restaurant. The ambiance was great...intimate, warm and romantic. The wait staff was excellent...attentive, but not intrusive. And thanks to recommendations by our waiter...the food was fantastic. I highly recommend this local gem (located next to the Rahway Performing Arts Center) and plan to visit it again real soon!!Special Features:
- Outdoor dining is very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/2/2013Outdoor dining is very good however it was nicer when there was the entertainment - the pricing does seem a little high for the quality of food the food is good but the pricing is for great.Special Features:
- Come for the tilapiaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/31/2013Stay for the delicious warmed-up chocolate babka with ganache/ ice cream . YUM.Special Features:
- Linda's Rahway FindOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/20/2013An overall enjoyable dining experience in all respects.Special Features:
- NiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/17/2013Very happy with the price fix dinner. Appetizers were small for the price-did not like the addition of 20% tip automatically for 3 people.Special Features:
- Great Food, ServiceRipstersDined on 7/11/2013Restaurant was formerly David Drakes and the new owners have totally kept up the level of service. Prix Fixe menu choices midweek, craft beers, nice wine selection. Don't know if there is a kid's menu but there are good choices on the menu for older children for good eaters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food in unlikely localeOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/11/2013Second visit to this place, and the food is just as great as it was the first time we visited a couple of years ago. The surrounding area is not too impressive, with the train station, a few office buildings and a generally empty feel on a Saturday night. But the restaurant is a gem, with a couple of small dining rooms on the first floor and a bigger space suitable for medium-sized parties on the upper level. Excellent choice of appetizers and main entries, and a good wine list. Highly recommended.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant but no more. WaitressOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/27/2013Pleasant but no more. Waitress told us they were out of bubbly water, which did not start things off well. How does that happen? They were very helpful when we asked to move outside near the fire pit. Neighborhood teenagers yelling and leaning over the outside walls for a portion of the meal. Food was ok, typical overwrought suburban bistro style. Nothing memorable. Service well meaning but slow, even though we mentioned an 8:00 curtain a short drive away. Had to ask twice for the dessert to be brought out in a timely way.Special Features:
- The food was delicious, fresh,millerDined on 4/27/2013The food was delicious, fresh, wonderful presentation. The service was average...our party of 7 arrived 2, 3, then 2 between 5:30 and 6:10pm. The first two were offered a cocktail immediately; the second 3 waited 15 minutes to be offered a cocktail then got up and asked for the list; the last 2 poured their own wine. It was roughly 40 minutes from the time the first couple arrived to the last, and the server never asked if we'd like to order appetizers etc. (after 30 minutes, we tracked down our server and got menus to order them). After the initial lack of attention, everything went very smoothly...one comments re the tilapia...it was not pistachio crusted, rather it was chopped pistachios on top of tilapia...but very good nevertheless.Special Features:
- New Favorite!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2013I took my wife and two teen daughters here for my wife's birthday. I read the reviews and the menu on Open Table and hoped it would be a hit. It was! Ivan, our waiter was friendly and attentive without being disruptive. I'd put the food up against any I've paid more for in the city. My peppercorn NY Strip was perfectly seasoned. Everyone was happy with every part of their meal. We finished up with desert and the made my wife's apple crumble into a Happy Birthday dish. Well done! Well definitely be back.Special Features:
- First time back since it wasShorkieVIPDined on 4/13/2013First time back since it was David Drakes. Nice to see the decor was the same and a full restaurant made for a good atmosphere. Food very different but on the whole well presented. Helpful and friendly service marred only by them losing my credit card and taking 30 minutes to get the check and leave. Overall a good evening and we will be back.Special Features:
- I have eaten at this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/13/2013I have eaten at this restaurant various times, the service and atmosphere is very good, the food this time was just ok my husband and I had different meals and honestly the food was not very flavorful,I did not feel it held the quality for the pricing I was surprised.