The Q Restaurant & Bar (fka BarBersQ)
3900 D Bel Aire Plaza
Napa, CA 94558Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Q Restaurant & Bar (fka BarBersQ)
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.barbersq.com/
- Phone: (707) 224-6600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Monday thru Friday 11:30 - 2:30
Dinner Monday thru Friday 5:00 - 9:00
Saturday and Sunday 11:30 - 9:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Stephen Barber
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
A word from The Q Restaurant & Bar (fka BarBersQ)
The Q Restaurant & Bar is a new casual restaurant serving a well rounded selection of American fare, featuring Memphis style barbeque. We celebrate Barbeque as part of our American Heritage along with Fresh Fish, Grass-Fed Beef and Whole Roasted Vinegar Chicken and on Sunday's our famous Fried Chicken Day. We provide the distinctive choice of dining in modern surroundings while enjoying classic American dishes inspired by a devotion to quality and value. Our sourcing is focused on local, sustainable and organic product from the Napa Valley and the bounty of California. The space is young and fresh featuring black and white photography: 'The People and Places of Napa', beautiful oak details, excellent acoustics and an inviting marble bar. Timeless design by Stephen Brady evokes a social evening at home. Warm and attentive service accompany music with spirit and soul while you enjoy American Heritage cooking by Executive Chef Randy Lewis. Outdoor dining is available on our patio.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
The Q Restaurant & Bar (fka BarBersQ) - Best Restaurants in Napa ›
The Q Restaurant & Bar (fka BarBersQ) reviews from OpenTable diners
29 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (20)neighborhood gem (16)great for lunch (12)fit for foodies (11)kid-friendly (7)good for groups (5)notable wine list (5)special occasion (4)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- A place for chefs to enjoyNaplenDined on 11/2/2014It is not unusual to see a recognized Napa chef enjoying a meal hereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- used to be BarBersQ ...napalocalVIPDined on 10/18/2014not been there in a while .. menu has lost some former favorites and staff changed - BBQ ribs and pulled pork still good, but rest of meal unremarkable .. for the money - better options in napa
- Great food and service ,foodVIPDined on 10/1/2014We celebrated a birthday and I was impressed as usual with the food and serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow isn't always relaxing...NapaEaterVIPDined on 9/23/2014I go here often to have the ribs which are delicious. Sometimes the other items are hit and miss. What irritated me on my last meal there was there was no one barely in the restaurant and we waited FOR TOO LONG to get our food and our coffee and they got our order wrong. A lot of people look at that order so it shouldn't come out wrong!! If you're open be open and ready to serve and don't make the mistake of taking food back to the kitchen! Staff is always nice on a brighter note.Special Features:
- Good food, disappointing service.Tom58Dined on 9/20/2014When we arrived at 5:00 we were the only customers on the patio. When we left the patio was still unoccupied. Based on the traffic at the front door they were just as slow inside. The service we received would have been understandable in a very active, busy restaurant but unacceptable when the staff had plenty of time to do better.
- Indian Night at the QKrisVIPDined on 9/19/2014This was a special occasion dinner featuring Neela Perez's Indian food from her recently published cookbook. So although I do eat at the Q quite often (it's right near Whole Foods), I did not have their regular menu, but a Indian edition. Neela's food is very good and I did enjoy it immensely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was a disappointmentJaniceKVIPDined on 9/11/2014We live nearby and find Q to be a convenient location but our recent visits have been disappointing. This visit we chose to sit on the patio which is very nice. However, there were only 2 servers to cover both inside and out. We ordered 2 glasses of wine and it took 15 minutes to arrive (and we think it was the wrong wine, but at that point we just kept it). When our food order came out it was the wrong order. To be fair it must be noted that this was quickly corrected. The food was OK, not badly prepared, but nothing special. There are so many good new restaurants in Napa and Q has tough competition. We like many things about Q (good wine list, nice setting) and hope we can rate it a neighborhood gem in the futureSpecial Features:
- Good neighborhood 'go-to'NapanewbieVIPDined on 9/6/2014Having been going here for over a year, I can normally count on getting a good, satisfying meal at Q. Located in Bel Air Plaza on Trancas, it's one of the only nicer restaurants in the area, so they somewhat have the market cornered. I've noticed a slight decline in the overall food quality, including portions & food being cooked as I requested, but overall, meal is still good. They also have a fun bar menu & I can always find a new drink! If you're into BBQ, then definitely a must-try.Special Features:
- Always goodBandyDined on 9/5/2014We eat here regularly, sometimes going for the barbecue dishes, occasionally the fish and often the specials. This time we both had the burgers. Really delicious. I usually can't finish and take the rest home but this burger was so good that I ate the entire thing and all the fries too. The Padron peppers were a very tasty appetizer.Special Features:
- Ribs & Hushpuppies!keatsDined on 8/23/2014We were new to Q, in town for a concert. The ribs & hushpuppies were our 2 favorites. Service was excellent!
- Fantastic DinnernapafoodieVIPDined on 8/4/2014Had a fab dinner at the Q. Ribs and Fried shrimp were outstanding. Our Server was terrific and so attentive. Sitting on the patio on a beautiful night just made the night and meal perfect!Special Features:
- Great comfort-type foodCmdlcdDined on 7/29/2014Excellent baby back ribs. Chicken was fantastic. We ate outdoors so a little noisy but staff was very attentive. Small wine and beer selection but adequate. Huge portions. We left very satisfied :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 508 reviews are from the The Q Restaurant & Bar (fka BarBersQ) reviews archive.
- daveDined on 7/26/2014The food and the service was fantastic. Will definitely come back againSpecial Features:
- Three from Australia3fromOzDined on 7/17/2014We were staying in the area on a family holiday and found Q Restaurant & Bar on the net. We had really enjoyed American BBQ on the earlier part of our trip so were happy to try more. Food was pretty good - we had ribs, brisket and pulled pork. Portion size was great and we had room to share the Lime Pie for dessert which was really yummy! Service was fantastic and our waiter was happy to explain things on the menu which were a bit of a mystery to Australians! Thoroughly enjoyed our night. Back in Australia now, but would happily recommend the restaurant to others.Special Features:
- Great Food, Music and Service2TipsLookingForGrubDined on 7/12/2014We sat outside in their enclosed dining area and, although we were in the Bel Aire shopping plaza that is always a crowded mess, the company I was surrounded by along with the great food and service I forgot where I was. The music was fun but not so fast it made you feel as if you were at a restaurant that wants you in and out. Everything was so fresh and tasty! My sons had the sampler plate of different meats and said that all were great. The hubby had a pulled pork sandwich that he thought was very tender and the bun was awesome. I had chicken and ribs (although the chicken was a tiny bit on the dry side the sauces made up for it) along with their coleslaw (good flavor just a little bit soupy). Corn bread rocks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local spotJaniceKVIPDined on 7/12/2014The Q is tucked away in a shopping area. It has a nice patio that is shielded from the parking lot and neighboring business with shrubs. You are welcomed at the door and the servers are very attentive.Special Features:
- Great BBQ - recommended.PDanielozDined on 7/4/2014We were highly impressed and surprised to find this gem. Despite the strip mall surroundings, the restaurant has a modern feel and serves outstanding BBQ food. The brisket was melt-in-your mouth tender and my wife (a Houston raised girl) said it could match a good southern baptist brisket; the pork ribs were just as tender; whilst the sides were as impressive with the best corn bread we have tasted. Solid wine list too. Will definitely be back if we are in the area and need a solid BBQ fix. PaulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Choice for Casual DiningReviewerOnTheRunDined on 7/1/2014Friendly, attentive service. Good food meant for casual dining and comfortable conversation. Terrific decor inside and lovely outdoor seating, in spite of parking lot noise. Soft-scaping & bistro lights are wonderful! A little pricey for location/dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fathers Day DinnerLolaVIPDined on 6/15/2014We made a last minute reservation for dinner on Fathers Day and we were accommodated nicely. There were 5 of us: my son, his wife and our 4 year old granddaughter and me and my husband. We enjoyed everything right from the beginning. We ordered an appetizer that was a special...fried baby artichokes....and it was great. The ambience, food and service were all top notch. We all ordered differently from the menu and all of it was delicious! None of us had ever eaten here and we were not disappointed!! We would return and we would recommend it to all of our friends.Special Features:
- my favorite place to eatcluvs2eatDined on 6/10/2014I always feel welcome here. The food is consistently wonderful. Especially the vinegar chicken.and the Q- lime pie is to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite go to placeJustSayingDined on 6/4/2014I really enjoy this place. It's a solid and dependable. You never have to wonder which manager's working, who you have waiting on you, who's prepping/cooking. Every time I'm here, it's consistently great! I recommend it for lunch, an afternoon glass of wine, dinner, or even hanging at the bar for a game! Using fresh, local (when possible) ingredients, I've enjoyed all items from apps to dessert! During my most recent visit, I was told the dessert I ordered was a grandma's favorite recipe of one of their servers!Special Features:
- Not like it used to be!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/25/2014Vacation in Napa twice a year and we always go for Sunday Fried Chicken. Young host seated us for a 5:30 reservation at a table by the door which we asked to be moved closer to the TV inside. He said there were NO other tables as they had so many reservations (place was EMPTY!). Fried chicken dinner arrived... chicken is NOW cornish game hen size pieces and looked under-cooked... NOT like last year with delicious crispy fried good-sized chicken! NEVER go there again... RUDE, collard greens were still GREAT. We do NOT recommend... many other restaurants do MUCH better!
- Neela's NightKrisVIPDined on 5/22/2014This was a special menu and special night for Neela, our somewhat local Indian celebrity chef (a winner on Chopped!) to strut her stuff for her friends and followers. So, the regular Q menu, although available, was not served as usual. I did, however, return the next day for a regular Q lunch before my shopping at Whole Foods (a quite convenient location). Neela's food is always superb and I enjoyed it immensely. I also enjoyed my grilled cheese the next day (combined with a very fresh butter lettuce salad). The Q has been a stand-by for me ever since it opened (under Stephen Barber, then BarbersQ) because of the fresh food, good wine and wonderful, handy location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only went for NeelaNapanVIPDined on 5/20/2014First and Last time for us to The Q. There are too many great restaurants in Napa to choose from. This is not one. We went for the special Neela's Indian Food night and it was fantastic. The wait staff is well trained and very personable. It is the layout of the restaurant that we dislike. Almost all banquette style tables in a row with not enough room between for comfort. hard floor make it noisy and the regular menu looks boring.
- Bland and boringKimmieVIPDined on 5/20/2014Loved Neela's restaurant but this food was not very good. Very expensive for what we got. Two pieces of flat grilled naan for $8? Also, after we came home we realized they charged us for a small side of hot sauce? Whaa? When I ordered the dish they said it was mild so I asked for a little hot sauce on the side. Yikes. Cauliflower was average. Eggplant veggie dish was bland. I wish Neela well and I do think her food was about the best at Neela's in Napa -- but this was not that!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodJaniceKVIPDined on 5/4/2014The Q is just a few miles away from my house. It's a favorite for us to go to when we want to go our but don't feel like driving far. We shared plates and still had a bag to take home.Special Features:
- MaryDined on 4/20/2014This is a great spot for locals with consistently good food and friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good BBQ!FoodmanVIPDined on 4/16/2014The BBQ here was surprisingly good as we weren't expecting to find good "que" in Northern California. The chicken wings and southern fried chicken were EXCELLENT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bleu Cheese & Smoked Chicken PleaseSmallTownGirlVIPDined on 4/12/2014We were looking for a quick lunch spot & came across this gem. My friend & I both ordered the smoked chicken sandwich w/garlic fries. We ate every morsel! The bleu cheese "sauce" on the sandwich adds a nice flavor, especially when combined with any of the BBQ sauces. There are three sauces to choose from, so we cut our sandwiches in quarters and made sure to try each sauce. The fries are seasoned just right and the garlic isn't overpowering. We also ordered a side of the roasted brussel sprouts, which were tasty to say the least. Who could leave without dessert? Key lime pie w/coconut sorbet, and the chocolate pecan pie. Both were delicious. If you want good eats & great prices topped with quality customer service, this is the place to be!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch find5starVIPDined on 4/6/2014We've been dining at Q for a number of years. It's always an enjoyable lunch On Sunday they offer a fried chicken dinner. It is very good and the collard greens outstanding. My husband hand their fish sandwich. The pulled pork is yummy. Service is always attentive and welcoming.Special Features:
- Always a great place to go!JkbuckleyDined on 3/29/2014We go here often. Very good for BBQ and the service is very good. Not your typical BBQ, fancy-ishSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was our first time to TheGretcha1VIPDined on 3/22/2014It was our first time to The Q. We were greeted by the hostess and seated at 7pm promptly. Our server showed up promptly and was very friendly. We ordered fairly quickly, but that is where it ended. I had to ask for my boyfriends beer (it never came). They were very busy with many large parties. It took 40+ minutes to get our dinner. It was served by the bartender who seemed annoyed. We had to get up and get our own bbq sauce for the food. The deviled eggs were amazing I must say. We will go back and try again, I feel any restaurant deserves a 2nd chance, who knows they may have had servers who didn't show (they seemed understaffed). For just the two of us, we were there for and hour and a half, quite long for a quick meal for two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere, delicious foodDebjonDined on 3/15/2014Great food, incredible service. We had the chicken sandwich and the pulled pork sandwich. They were both delicious and generous portions. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Friendly service. ExcellentLindaVIPDined on 3/6/2014Friendly service. Excellent baby back ribs and delicious coleslaw.Special Features:
- A special guest chefDrSummerDined on 2/18/2014Our group of 4 went to sample guest chef Neela Paniz's Indian take on BBQ. Fantastic! The ribs were amazing--wonderfully spiced and perfectly cooked. We also enjoyed the pork vindaloo and the lamb shank. And chef Neela's chaat creations are always fabulous.Thank you, Q Restaurant, for having her in your kitchen!Special Features:
- Special DinnerKrisVIPDined on 2/18/2014This was a special Indian dinner with a guest chef (Neela) so the Q's food was not served. Neela's food was good but not great, some was over-cooked and I missed the usual accompaniments (chutneys, yogurt sauces).Special Features:
- Always a PleasureOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2014My husband and I have been coming here for years and we have never been disappointed. The food is exceptional, the service great and I have always have appreciated how clean it is! It is by far the cleanest restaurant I have ever been to. I noticed it the first time we ate there and nothing has changed. Great job everyone! Thanks for making our dining experiences special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food & Staff!yarblDined on 1/31/2014This is a hidden gem in the Bel Air Plaza in Napa. Go check it out for yourself - The wings & cole slaw are at the top of my favorites list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice atmosphere and very goodRobertVIPDined on 1/30/2014Nice atmosphere and very good service, but in all honesty the BBQ components were mediocre at best. Items from the special Chinese New Year-related Asian menu were actually better. Overall, not a bad experience but one would hope for better in the food offerings.
- Is there a new chief?RieslingDined on 1/27/2014We've been going to the Q for a few years and have always had a great meal there, but not last Monday. We both selected the pull pork sandwich. Unfortunately, the amount of fat and grissel was over the tolerance limit and ultimately left us with upset stomachs. Additionally, the cole slaw was swimming in dressing. We're hoping this was a one off experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.