The Purple Martin
Saint Louis, MO 63104Neighborhood:
Soulard / Benton Park
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Purple Martin
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thepurplemartinstl.com/
- Phone: (314) 898-0011
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 1:00am, Sunday 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Chase Overaker
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Takeout, Wine
A word from The Purple Martin
We're a neighborhood, American bistro located in Fox Park and owned by long time Fox Park residents.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Purple Martin reviews from OpenTable diners
28 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (24)fit for foodies (14)great for outdoor dining (6)good for groups (6)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (5)kid-friendly (3)special occasion (3)hot spot (3)notable wine list (3)romantic (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Get the stewmaintzmoDined on 10/31/2014The stew on the menu with the bread and beans is extraordinary...I can't remember the name but well worth trying. I will be back for this dish alone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed first timeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/31/2014We really enjoyed our first time there. The waitress seemed a bit distracted, and we had to call her attention to the fact that we wanted to order. The food was excellent. Pickles were excellent. Lambs was well cooked. The Fish Stew was really flavored well.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood placePianist72Dined on 10/31/2014This is a lovely space with a good staff in a reviving neighborhood, and all that I love. The cocktail program here is very good-tasty and inventive drinks. I've always had good service with friendly waitstaff. During warned weather I sanpled several cold fruit soups that were terrific--a mango Masala one comes to mind. The menu is not huge but has a number of Mediterranean and Nediterranean influenced dishes. I do wish they would vary the core menu a bit more frequently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/29/2014The menu selection was creative; the flavors were splendid and new. Service was very good.Special Features:
- Never AgainLanzoDined on 10/24/2014The food was under seasoned and overall not very delicious. Our service was super slow, and our waiter was almost non-existent. However, the manager seemed nice and welcoming.Special Features:
- Needs a second chance and polishGAry1392VIPDined on 10/18/2014Great bar and drink menu, good but unusual fd (not for everyone), servers not all attentive or competent but pleasant. Our night they were particularly busy with a private party so 1)we waited about 20 mins for our OPEN TABLE 8 pm res but had drinks at bar (great bar tenders-both personality and quality of mixed drinks) and didn't mind.Then were seated and dinner took about two hours as we waited for order to be taken and then main dishes took almost an hour to come out of kitchen.Manager very apologetic and offered us free glasses of wine if we came back and although we didn't ask we really thought that dinner should have been written off.We were not the only table who waited and some were more vocal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful ambienceJayLDined on 10/8/2014This neighborhood bar/restaurant has delicious Mediterranean-inspired dishes, good drinks, attentive service, and very enjoyable seating and decor. The street-side patio surrounded by unique purple martin shaped fencing has a fire pit for cool evenings. Highly recommended for couples, families or groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great atmosphereFehligx2Dined on 10/4/2014music was great; you could listen to it if you chose or carry on a conversationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the foodDregerDined on 9/26/2014Loved the food. We had a beet salad that was fantastic! The shrimp we ordered was perfect. The service was rather slow. I certainly would not go here before attending theatre or a movie if time was an element.Special Features:
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014The service was terrible. We had to wait almost an hour to order anything and then another hour to get our food. When the food did arrive, it had been under a heat lamp for so long, the plate was burning hot and the chicken so dried out it was bland and unappetizing. It is a really cute place with a great patio. There are some interesting things on the menu, but we were very underwhelmed by the experience and won't be back.
- very pleasant restaurantepbpDined on 9/10/2014My husband and I visited on a Wednesday evening during a downpour so there weren't many patrons. We were warmly greeted and seated and enjoyed a delicious Bloody Mary. We split the roasted beet and orange salad. I had the Lablabi and my husband had a chicken dish. We were both happy with our choices and only sorry we were so full we couldn't enjoy dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food but Service IssueslolatwinkletoesVIPDined on 9/6/2014We were a party of four. Everyone enjoyed their food very much - tasty, fresh, innovative, local - but the service and the kitchen were incredibly slow. I know we waited over an hour for food. I don't mind waiting if the food is exceptional but this was beyond even my usual unlimited patience, especially since the server was not as forthcoming or gracious as he should have been (one round of drinks on the house?) Also, since two six tops were seated on our side it was impossibly loud. I'm going to go back for lunch or dinner on a quieter night and give them another try. Apparently they have a new manager and are working out the kinks of being newly opened.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 0 reviews are from the The Purple Martin reviews archive.