The Pump House
796 Chena Pump Rd
Fairbanks, AK 99709Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Pump House
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.pumphouse.com/
- Phone: (907) 479-8452
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American
- Executive Chef: Richard Blanke
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cigar Room, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Customized menus for groups of all sizes.
- Private Party Facilities: Our Banquet Room can seat up to 18.
- Private Party Contact: Vivian Bubbel 9074798452
- Entertainment: Karaoke every Wednesday night starting at 9:00 pm.
A word from The Pump House
The Pump House Restaurant offers Fine Dining in a Historice Atmosphere overlooking the Chena river. We are listed on the National Registry of Historic Sites and are the recipient of the DiRONA Award. Seasonal closure - January 1st through February 2nd. Reopening February 3rd.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Pump House - Best Restaurants in Fairbanks ›
The Pump House reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (23)scenic view (19)good for groups (15)great for outdoor dining (15)kid-friendly (11)fit for foodies (11)romantic (11)neighborhood gem (9)great for brunch (8)great for lunch (4)hot spot (4)notable wine list (4)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- A really nice dining experienceHungrymushersDined on 11/9/2014This was our first trip to the Pump House. We made reservations for 7 on a Sunday evening. We were seated promptly at a quiet table as requested. The inside of the restaurant is beautiful - reminiscent of old Alaska and very cozy. Our server was professional and the pace was perfect. The food was really excellent. We don't eat out often but when we do we like to treat ourselves. We weren't disappointed.Special Features:
- Great place but not consistent.dineakDined on 11/2/2014Food and drinks were not consistent compared to out visit a few weeks ago. When we asked to have our drinks remade cause they tasted like there was no alcohol in them, we were told that we would have to be charged double for them. The food was also not consistent. The potatoes were on the burned side and steak wasn't cooked to our preference. The waiter showed up only a few times to check on us and wasn't as warming as the others. We do enjoy having dinner here but wish there was more consistency.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute place. Ok food.cldwthrgrlDined on 10/18/2014The wasn't the best food but it was bad either. We each had the rib eye. Good cuts but nothing to rave about. The scallops were tasty and the walnut chocolate chip pie was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It could have been great.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014We came to Alaska for the view. Instead of a good table, in an empty restaurant, we were stuck in the very back of the building. It would have been nice to see what our options were. We took it upon ourselves to check out the outside and river view because it wasn't offered inside.
- Nice OasisGjb6774VIPDined on 9/10/2014We went to the Pump House based on a recommendation. Started out in the beautiful saloon and head the pretzels with queso. Headed into the dining area and head an Asian inspired salmon salad and, what else, king crab. Both meals were excellent, the service was prompt and attentive. We won't be back to Fairbanks anytime soon but would definitely have this on the a"must dine" list!Special Features:
- Recommended by an AlaskanHappyWanderer2Dined on 8/31/2014One of our contacts told us we had to try an "Alaskan" restaurant. The location was convenient and very scenic. We were impressed by the exquisite garden as we entered. The Grizzly Bear greeted us and we knew we were in for a treat! The food was perfect for 3 people who have had food experiences all over the world. We were very impressed. Be sure to try the crab appetizer. Our server was fun and efficient. We had a thoroughly pleasant experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014Great Food, Great Service & Great Atmosphere!! It was my 2nd time there & had a Great experience both times. Thank you!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Employees need HelpRobmeister62Dined on 8/16/2014The Pump House, had absolutely fantastic food !! The portions were well sized for the price and the kitchen insured that all food came out piping hot. However, upon entering the restaurant no one was smiling. there was an air of "detachment" from the guests. It seemed unusual to me, and I did ask the hostess and our server about the reason for not smiling, and, of course, I was faced with obviously fake smiles. Also, the hostess stand seemed to be a gathering point for the employees, and that also was somewhat annoying when their conversation was approaching the same volume as that of the guests. The total dining experience was positive and I would try it again. Just a little authentic smile makes some of us forget other problems.Special Features:
- Pump House ReviewBanglesDined on 8/15/2014The seafood chowder is outstanding! My gourmet burger was ordered med rare came out med well, the burger was dry and only warm as we're the fries. The cheese did not even melt. In our party of 5 the Halibut was good, the salmon was over done and dry, the filet was good and an order of fish & chips was brought to the table after the other 4 had finished our meals; but it was good. Very friendly, great service, great ambiance but a little pricey. We had an early reservation and the place was only half full. I only saw two wait staff, so they may have been overwhelmed early. But this was my third visit and it's always the same. Always a little off of what I feel a high end restaurant should beSpecial Features:
- TreCDined on 8/15/2014challenging and not that accomodating for our large party, especially when it was not that busy.Special Features:
- Great service and foodFoodieNAKDined on 8/15/2014It was and early reservation 530pm. It was slow but the service was great. Our server followed all servers sequence if service. He did a menu tour, great recommendations, and followed up and asked how we were doing. Our water never got past halfway. The Seafood Rissotto was really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too priceylike2eatDined on 8/14/2014Food was okay not exceptional. Our waiter was inattentive. View was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014Service was good; friendly waitress; food was basic fareSpecial Features:
- very romanticvidaDined on 8/11/2014We had an amazing time. I have a lot of food allergies and the server was amazing with making sure I would be able to enjoy the food. Which was dilcious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Open Table saved our group!YuhasDined on 8/10/2014One lady had to make it to the airport, when my fella's mom said we were going to hit the Pump House I thought: "Uhho. ..I bet they didn't make reservations and it's busy." There was a 45 min wait...but not for us! Our server got us out in time without feeling one bit rushed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- absolutely amazing!abc123def456Dined on 8/8/2014We found this spot on urban spoon and everyone was so thankful we kept the reservation! It was by far the best restaurant we went to in Fairbanks! The chicken Denali is maybe the best thing I've ever had in my mouth!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccasionFBKSEATERDined on 8/4/2014As a resident of Fairbanks, The Pump House is one of our favorite special places to dine for special occasions. We celebrate our wedding anniversary almost every year at The Pump House. The atmosphere and food is the main attraction for us. The staff is wonderful and attentive.Special Features:
- amazing everything!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014Dinner was exceptional and the service was incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has PotentialHappyDinerDined on 7/31/2014Service was great! The food was so close to being good. The crab dip appetizer on its own was good but when the balsamic glaze was added to the bread, it was great. The risotto was extremely overcooked but the shrimp was well seasoned. The replacement shrimp linguini was rushed so it came out fast but was bland. The steak was completely overcooked but the roasted potatoes were perfect. The dessert tasted great but was too recently defrosted that the icing was falling off the cake and was chewy. With local bakers in Fairbanks, I'd love to see them sell fresh desserts when available. It's clear that the food here is probably really good; this was just an off night for them, so we'll try it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pump House DecliningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/21/2014Pump House though always rather pricey has long been our favorite restaurants as the food and service were excellent. However, our past few visits have been disappointing as the prices continue to rise while the quality/quantity of the food and the service have declined.
- The following 159 reviews are from the The Pump House reviews archive.
- Great choices and staffKingdl4Dined on 7/20/2014The waitress was good at her job and very charismatic. The table was in a bad spot but the food and service made up for it, especially dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor food, worse service!CindyDined on 7/19/2014Waiter was not knowledgable about whether chowder contained shrimp for food allergy. Waiter never picked up app plates, water not refilled, food was lukewarm and when we mentioned we were not satisfied he said okay and brought full bill.
- Great Food and WaitstaffgmanDined on 7/19/2014A very "mining town" motif. The menu looked good so we decided to try the seafood sampler (recommended by our waiter) and then share a steak. When our waiter brought out the "sampler" for 2, we looked at each other and thought, OH BOY - I think we are going to be sorry we ordered the steak. The sampler was huge. Our waiter smiled and said that he had not put in our order for the steak, knowing that we might not be able to eat it all. We enjoyed the seafood (clams, oysters, crab legs, smoked salmon, and shrimp) along with the sour dough bread until we were stuffed. No. We never did reorder the steak. Would definitely recommend the PumpHouse. Beautiful view of river and grounds as well.Special Features:
- Recommend with reservationsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/17/2014Beautiful property; pretty good food, but overpriced for quality ... which generally is true throughout Alaska; service was not good ... but may have been the server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lovely findluvoceanviewsDined on 7/13/2014After hours traveling to and spending hours enjoying Fairbanks, this was a lovely find. Great food, right on the river and engaging service staff and a wide range of food offerings. We relaxed and enjoyed every minute of watching the river flow by.Special Features:
- Very DissapointingDeliciosoVIPDined on 7/8/2014The Pump House was not remarkable in any way. By 6:45 they were already out of any specials. Not that we will return to Fairbanks, but I wouldn't recommend this restaurant to anyone who might be heading that way.
- IT WAS GREAT!NemoDined on 7/6/2014We recently celebrated two occasions and our first choice for dining was The Pumphouse and its staff made sure it met our expectations with prompt, friendly service. We started with great drinks from the bar and fresh, plump, sweet raw oysters on the half shell. Our table enjoyed two of the Specialty Salads, two seafood dishes, and a chicken dish. Thank to the chef my husband and I enjoyed our favorite meal of pan-fried oysters. Dinner portions and food temperatures were ideal. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/5/2014Food was creative and very tasty, when we eventually received it. Waiter gave our food to someone else. Appetiser and salad brought out after main dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A pleasant surpriseLoveToEatDined on 7/4/2014While the prices seem a little high - the quality of the food definitely made it worth while. The salmon was great, but two in our party got the rib eye steak and now I want to go back and experience that myselfSpecial Features:
- Great birthday surprise.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014Very good food. Great service. My wife was very pleased, as was i.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Dinner LacklusterSourDoughSavDined on 6/29/2014Dissatisfied with reservation process-- attended for special birthday occasion, arriving early to reservation but was unable to sit at outside patio despite obvious availability. Hostess was short with us and offered little accommodation. I know they are a busy place but our special occasion was dampened by the lack of customer attentiveness. Waitress was good and attentive despite being very busy. Noisy clatter of dishware directly behind our table. Overall, we won't be going back for our special occasions but maybe for drinks at the bar instead.Special Features:
- Fairbanks Must!CoolyDined on 6/24/2014A great Alaska/gold rush-era themed restaurant right on the Chena River with inside and outside seating options. The interior has a fascinating and eclectic decorative style that starts the moment you enter the restaurant. While it is one of the more expensive places to eat in Fairbanks, you are definitely getting what you pay for in quality and ambiance. Took out seven fairly picky adults on a special occasion and everyone had an amazing time. All of the food was very flavorful and creatively prepared with nothing that disappointed. A great place for one of those full-spectrum dinners where you leave full, but can't wait to come back and see new details and try different dishes.Special Features:
- ServiceDisappointedDined on 6/22/2014The service was not what I expected. Everyone seemed stressed and were yelling orders, which made our party feel awkward. We also were not offered drinks or given an explanation on how the brunch worked. The food was good and it was a beautiful day to eat outside, that's the only reason I would recommend brunch here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RelaxedNCtravelerDined on 6/12/2014The Pump House was recommended by a local. We were not disappointed! Staff met every need and had time to chat if you were so inclined. The decor is comfortable and recalls the history of Fairbanks. Seated by a window in the back we watched countless patrons wander down the river walk. The grounds were well kept with parts of the old pump equipment on display. Did I mention the food was terrific! We fell in love with reindeer tenderloin cooked a perfect med. rare!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the worst dining experiencesEyesontheBallDined on 6/6/2014In the past we have had some of the best service and food at the Pump House, unfortunately this fell far short. It appears you have taken your eyes off the ball. Service: 1) wait-staffer seemed ambivalent to us. 2) we waited far too long for drink refills, or our wait-staffer to appear at all. Food: 1) ribeye steak was cooked ok but alder smoking could not be detected and it was pretty bland. 2) the potatoes could barely be identified as such and again pretty flavorless. 3) vegetables were severely over cooked, unappealing, and did not taste good. As longtime local residents we expect better from our dining establishments. Please return to your previous outstanding service and good, fairly priced food.
- It was OKOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/29/2014The price was a little high for the quality and amount of food you get. Nothing to write home about. The service was pretty rough. I don't think I have any interest in going back.Special Features:
- Great experiencedateDined on 5/26/2014The food was great and the history of the restaurant is such a special part of the experience. Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchMaggie1999Dined on 5/25/2014Although the choices were varied, items from the warming units were not hot.Luke warm eggs Benedict is not too appetizing. I have gone to the brunch here throughout the winter and somehow it felt as if it needed to be changed up a bit, a little too predictable. I must say though that compared to earlier in the year, our server was extremely gracious and saw to it that we had all the beverage, water, coffee, or juice we could possible want. We were not rushed and that was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, locationTabascomanDined on 5/16/2014The food was very good and the service was excellent. Right on the Chena River so was very scenic. Drinks were good but a little over priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for celebrationsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014We had a wonderful celebration of our daughter's college graduation and mother's day. Our server was amazing and the food was beyond perfect for all of us. Three years ago we had our daughter's wedding and reception at the pump house. The price, atmosphere and the service for the wedding was better than we could have ever imagined. Thank you Chena Pump House!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.